Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
So I've never done a kickstarter thing until now, but looking at the top 10 list most of those are video games. Is that what this site is mostly used for, funding indie games or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
$2,485,351 now. It's still climbing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Last minute payment processing, I assume. Hard to instantaneously sort out all the pledges/changes made right before it closed.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

So I've never done a kickstarter thing until now, but looking at the top 10 list most of those are video games. Is that what this site is mostly used for, funding indie games or whatever?

Largely, yeah. Even some high-profile developers like Double-Fine and Obsidian (both of which have been jerked around by publishers for the past decade or so) have gone the Kickstarter route so that they can make the game they want to make, for an audience willing to pay for it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Some Richey Rich is going to wait til there's a minute left and close the gap.
My fan-troll will be the star. It will be him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, forgot to bump from 80 to 105, now will never know what my Hussie-approved patch-based OTP will be. :(

Oh well, there's always next Kickstarter.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

It's mostly used for much smaller art projects. The reason video games top the charts is because they're much more expensive to produce than most of the projects on Kickstarter: nobody is going to ask for $700,000 and get $2.5 million to make a graphic novel. (Except I'll probably be proven wrong, but by and large the principle holds true.)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Other than games, one thing I often see it used for is to fund the printing of webcomic books. Print on Demand is expensive, so if you can use Kickstarter like a preorder to go to a more reputable company and get 10,000 books printed, you earn more money in the longrun.

Then you get stuff like the Ouya, an open source console that may or may not turn out to be vaporware. We shall see.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Dolash posted:

Welp, forgot to bump from 80 to 105, now will never know what my Hussie-approved patch-based OTP will be. :(

Oh well, there's always next Kickstarter.

You could try contacting them via kickstarter and asking if you can up your pledge and tier via the paypal continuation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It got close, but not quite. $2,485,481 pledged of $700,000 goal. Time for the PayPal people to get in their :10bux:.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I just rewatched Caliborn: Enter. I don't remember if anyone brought this up, but the countdown on his countdown-thingy was "~U". If we are willing to call the tilde "till" in a similar manner to ~ATH, we could view this symbol as "till union" with U being the logical symbol for union and also the representation of the union of Caliborn and Calliope's divergent personalities. Of course, if we go by the logic theme, "~" sometimes is used as a negation symbol. The negation of union is intersection, a logical operation between two sets that leaves behind only the elements that are in both sets. I'm not sure if any of this is really significant, but at least coincidentally it seems to be relevant to Caliborn and Calliope's game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cabbit posted:

Oh my God, one Snoutpak being left open at the end is hilarious. I can only imagine how many people are screaming in impotent rage at being unable to snatch it up.

Won't it just go to the first person to pledge that amount via paypal?

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I just rewatched Caliborn: Enter. I don't remember if anyone brought this up, but the countdown on his countdown-thingy was "~U". If we are willing to call the tilde "till" in a similar manner to ~ATH, we could view this symbol as "till union" with U being the logical symbol for union and also the representation of the union of Caliborn and Calliope's divergent personalities. Of course, if we go by the logic theme, "~" sometimes is used as a negation symbol. The negation of union is intersection, a logical operation between two sets that leaves behind only the elements that are in both sets. I'm not sure if any of this is really significant, but at least coincidentally it seems to be relevant to Caliborn and Calliope's game.

Err the "~" in "~ATH" is supposed to be read as "tilde", so "~ATH" reads as "tildeATH" = "til' death". And if you're looking for the importance of Caliborn's symbol being "~U" then it's probably far more relevant that U is the variable name of choice for universes in ~ATH.

FrictionlessEmu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 4, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I just rewatched Caliborn: Enter. I don't remember if anyone brought this up, but the countdown on his countdown-thingy was "~U". If we are willing to call the tilde "till" in a similar manner to ~ATH, we could view this symbol as "till union" with U being the logical symbol for union and also the representation of the union of Caliborn and Calliope's divergent personalities.

Surely "til due" would be a more consistent vocal pun?

e/ That being the aggravating time constraint of "whenever it was going to happen", which would make sense what with all the circumstantial simultaneity that was happening around that scene.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 4, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
If the use of the tilde is a reference to something in real-world programming - I don't know if Hussie has ever commented on this specifically - it's more likely to be a nod to how destructors work in C++ (and some related languages). A destructor is a special function which is called when an object is destroyed (i.e. just as the memory it occupies is about to be freed) and, in C++, is denoted by putting a ~ in front of the name of the class, like so:

code:
Universe::~Universe()
{
	// do whatever cleanup stuff (or similar) is appropriate here...
}
Of course it's used very differently in ~ATH, but it's still strongly related to things happening at the end of something's lifespan.

(Giving classes single-character names is normally considered very poor style, though, so if ~U were a destructor that'd be a good reason to be very mad at whoever wrote the code paradox space runs on. Or something. The way death is kind of weird, hard to predict, and often doesn't stick suggests we might actually be looking at Java and finalizers here, anyway. Also, "the negation of union is intersection" makes no sense. The complement of the union of several sets is the intersection of their complements, assuming you have something relevant to take complements in. :spergin:)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

(Giving classes single-character names is normally considered very poor style, though, so if ~U were a destructor that'd be a good reason to be very mad at whoever wrote the code paradox space runs on. Or something.

This bugs you, but nested colour coded (flagrantly illegal) while loops don't. Okay.

e/ If questioned on this I'm reasonably sure Hussie's response would be along the lines of "Yeah, all that stuff you said. I wasn't really paying attention but there's pretty much no way all of it wasn't completely intentional. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wire two and a half million dollars to Ryan North so I can spend it before he finds another ludicrously expensive picture frame to buy"

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 4, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It's a fictional language, it can do weird colour-coded half-nested loops (not to mention rapidly alternating billiard balls) if it wants. But style is style. (This is where some unholy hybrid of :colbert: and :goonsay: would go.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a fictional language, it can do weird colour-coded half-nested loops (not to mention rapidly alternating billiard balls) if it wants. But style is style. (This is where some unholy hybrid of :colbert: and :goonsay: would go.)

I feel like this might be the programming equivalent to the fantasy setting's ubiquitous "There's Orcs and Dragons, why are you bothering to point out plot holes or inconsistencies?" argument. Some people are okay with crazy made-up stuff like a programming language based around things dying, so long as they're internally consistent and make sense in context.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This wouldn't have haappened if you had just installed Gentoo.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Oh my God, one Snoutpak being left open at the end is hilarious. I can only imagine how many people are screaming in impotent rage at being unable to snatch it up.

Suaimhneas posted:

Won't it just go to the first person to pledge that amount via paypal?

I wonder what'll happen to the dozens of other people who throw in $255 asking for it. Will they just get switched to the $255 "GAMEPAK2 + BROPAK PRO + MSPA FUNPAK" tier?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

But then they might end up with BROPAK PRO. And no-one wants that.

(I hope they'll have some system where the payment doesn't go through if the PAKs have run out. Or where you reserve the PAK for a couple of minutes before pledging for it. Or any possible workaround to prevent a gigantic clusterfuck.)

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Or they'll use some of the ~1000 snoutpaks unclaimed from the $405+ tiers, most likely.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

(Giving classes single-character names is normally considered very poor style, though, so if ~U were a destructor that'd be a good reason to be very mad at whoever wrote the code paradox space runs on. Or something. The way death is kind of weird, hard to predict, and often doesn't stick suggests we might actually be looking at Java and finalizers here, anyway. Also, "the negation of union is intersection" makes no sense. The complement of the union of several sets is the intersection of their complements, assuming you have something relevant to take complements in. :spergin:)

The U is most likely referring to a specific instance of the Universe class, like it does in ~ATH, especially since the machine had a green U (since it destroyed the cherubs' universe) whereas Caliborn's symbol has a grey U (maybe a neutral colour to signify that he'll destroy any universe he comes across?). ~U is probably a symbol of the class destructor being called on a particular instance, shorthand for... uh... U.~Universe(), I guess, although I don't think that would actually make sense in a C++ program.

Of course, each universe we've seen has been destroyed in a different way, so having a class-wide destructor process doesn't actually work very well. If destructors are assigned separately by instance, then ~U might actually make perfect sense in whatever weird language paradox space uses.

:goonsay:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ActionZero posted:

It's already on wikipedia's chart of top ten kickstarters by funds. All I can imagine is someone sitting there going "It will be me that puts this into that chart because people must know this instantly.

It dislodged the OOTS reprint drive.

When you remember that Kickstarter entered this chart at the second position about eight months ago (and was a million dollar baby); you can't help but be impressed at how huge crowdfunding is getting.

Heck, the Elevation Dock -- the first KS millionaire -- doesn't look like it'll remain on the Top 10 for long, now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Err the "~" in "~ATH" is supposed to be read as "tilde", so "~ATH" reads as "tildeATH" = "til' death". And if you're looking for the importance of Caliborn's symbol being "~U" then it's probably far more relevant that U is the variable name of choice for universes in ~ATH.

Stuff like this happens to me all the time. Last week someone (I forget who) pointed out to me the name of Feferi's land, Glass and Dew.

Dew on glass is condensation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In response to the earlier mention of Homestuck TF2 items, I don't like the idea. There would only be disappointment, because the best possible one has already been made!

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

WAR FOOT posted:

Stuff like this happens to me all the time. Last week someone (I forget who) pointed out to me the name of Feferi's land, Glass and Dew.

On a similar note; in this interview with Hussie (the person doing the interview is Bryan Lee O'Malley, the creator of Scott Pilgrim), it is revealed why god tier is associated with hoodies.

godhood

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

WAR FOOT posted:

That's a bit of a stretch, especially considering that the word is condesce, not condense.

VV A title :colbert:. And I really doubt it's intentional, such as it is.

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 5, 2012

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Condesce is an abbreviation. I can kinda see the connection between Condescension and condensation.

I don't know if it's intentional though.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Hell yeah.

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta

Black Mage Knight posted:

On a similar note; in this interview with Hussie (the person doing the interview is Bryan Lee O'Malley, the creator of Scott Pilgrim), it is revealed why god tier is associated with hoodies.

godhood

:sbahj:

Damnit the more I think I know this thing the more final forms it shows me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, we've known for a while now that Dante Basco, voice of The Last Airbender's Zuko has been a Homestuck fan. But apparently, if I'm reading this right, Summer Bishil, who does the voice of Azula on the same show has gotten interested.

...and she did a Vriska voice thing on tumblr.

I'm at work and can't listen, but I guess it's here? Someone let me know how it is.

(For those that don't watch the show, Azula was one of those characters that gets compared to Vriska a lot for coming off as brutal and excessively-confident.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

tinaun posted:

Hell yeah.

So what're the odds of Hussie's PayPal account getting frozen?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bobulus posted:

I'm at work and can't listen, but I guess it's here? Someone let me know how it is.

It's actually pretty close to her Azula voice (which isn't a bad thing, mind). Not sure if it's an actual quote or not, but she doesn't sound completely into it. More dismissive than mocking, which is how I pictured the relationship between Vriska and Tavros.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Anyone that tries to do Vriska has to do it in the most energetic, over the top, self-satisfied, mocking tone possible. Like you know when you're playing some game and you've exploited some gamebreaking glitch or you're at the end and have the biggest, baddest weapons and everything you encounter is like pebbles tossed at a mountain? That feeling. That's Vriska's entire existence.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I have a hard time putting voices to Homestuck, and whenever I hear someone voice one I always go "That's certainly not how I thought it'd sound."

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
Imagine if Grey and Dante were to record some lines together for Tavrisprite.

:stare:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bah, I checked it out over my lunch break and I was a bit disappointed, too.

Oh well.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I still stand by this guy for Karkat.

And kinda-sorta-not-really-but-still-yeah these two for John and Dave.

But beyond that I've never heard anyone that fits the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cthulhuchan posted:

I still stand by this guy for Karkat.

And kinda-sorta-not-really-but-still-yeah these two for John and Dave.

But beyond that I've never heard anyone that fits the others.
I end up watching that John and Dave Play Sburb video to its entirety every single time it's posted. It's great.

Also, Karkat is totally this guy, and Equius is totally Nathan Explosion from Metalocalypse. Most of the other headcanon things I can take or leave.