Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

May the dice have mercy on my future soul.

Expect to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
We are all doomed.... *cries*

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I would like to sign up as a Mechwarrior as well. I have never played tabletop before so I expect to die horribly.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Stop signing up I want to go again :(

But seriously, this is a great way to start or try out tabletop. Plenty of good advice and your opponent is a great dude.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Jag posted:

I just want to make sure I'm on top of the list for Whenever Goonlance Fields A Hauptmann. You know, so I can lose it embarassingly since I've never played Battletech before.

Maybe if you had a Goonlance tag you might be able to make a case for yourself! WHERE IS YOUR GOONLANCE TAG?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Defiance Industries posted:

Maybe if you had a Goonlance tag you might be able to make a case for yourself! WHERE IS YOUR GOONLANCE TAG?

:colbert: Look I didn't get a crab or a king crab, I had to settle for a PO and not even this refitted one with medium lasers, it had flamers. You work with what you are given sadly. :argh: What I am saying is ptn should have let me have a crab.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I would also like to hop on the Pilot list, since all the cool kids are doing it.

Sadly, I am a worthless poor without PMs and you will have to settle for emailing me at <Redacted>

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 5, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

worthless poor

Fortunately, I pay attention to all of the percents. ALL OF THEM.

Everyone's been added.

I'm going to try to get the update done now, but we had someone call in sick at work and I may get called in (and I work again at 5:00 AM). So, no promises.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I too would like to be added to the pilot list and give this a shot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sally Forth: Tactical Update 2

Alimah Hayaam Attia’s eyes closed as her Vindicator leapt heavenward on a pillar of flame. It was a fine `Mech, she almost couldn’t tell it was Frankenstein’s monster: a melding of two crippled Vindicators to create a single working `Mech. She had to give the Star League some credit, they really know how to design durable computer systems. She also had to acknowledge the genius work of the Clan technicians they’d captured who’d done the bulk of the work although a part of her kept expecting the Vindy to fall apart beneath her.

Almost subconsciously, her crosshairs dropped over the captured Clan Cyclops. As much as she hated it, the Death Commandos were now beholden to these ‘bondsmen.’ That was a weakness she found difficult to tolerate. Only her respect for Colonel Williams had stilled her tongue. Even with remote shutdown commands issued to each member of the company, the loss of four `Mechs would undoubtedly leave them crippled in the face of ten Clanners. Well, they always had the contingency plans to fall back on.

Mission Objective:

Defeat Clan Forces (0/10)

Or

Bypass Clan Forces (0/14)

Key:
X1 Banshee IIC, X2 Archer, X3 Po
X4 Merlin, X5 Marauder, X6 Hunchback
X7 Blackjack, X8 Dervish, X9 Vindicator
X10 Mongoose, X11 Hussar, X12 Cyclops IIC
X13 Exterminator IIC, X14 Atlas

Enemy Movement Mods:
Don’t matter this turn.
E1 Sohei: +1
E2 Wolf Spider: +2
E3 Copperhead: +2
E4 Rifleman IIC: +0
E5 Swordbreaker: +2
F1 Swordbreaker: +2
F2 Unknown: +3
F3 Unknown: +3 J
F4 Seagull: +4 J
F5 Anklebiter: +2

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 5, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Defiance Industries posted:

I made the Goonlance tag! I will wear and dispose of it as I please!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Jag posted:

I made the Goonlance tag! I will wear and dispose of it as I please!

You may have assembled it, but I am making the tag.

:doubleguns:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh hey guess I'm officially up to bat. By dint of sheer luck and a missing player, I also gots me an assault `Mech to destroy horribly.

Guess I'd better check in on the googledocs thing.

V--EDIT: Hah! I'm surprised you remember. S'no big deal, he was literally a joke character idea.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 5, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh hey guess I'm officially up to bat. By dint of sheer luck and a missing player, I also gots me an assault `Mech to destroy horribly.

Guess I'd better check in on the googledocs thing.

Sorry I couldn't give you your custom pilot. :(

VVV The list on page 1 is up to date.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 5, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

How long is the potential mechwarrior list at this point anyhow?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
You have me marked as X2 on the map in hex 1503, I'm X1 Banshee IIC.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

How long is the potential mechwarrior list at this point anyhow?

Second post of this thread.

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012
And so it starts! Should we start taking bets on what turn the Hussar will get destroyed? Personally, I bet that it'll survive. Hide behind that Blackjack like a pro!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If we get the chance to bypass the clan forces after having bloodied them without losing too many mechs that is probably the smart choice. Not that goons will ever aim for anything except the main objective.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Affi posted:

If we get the chance to bypass the clan forces after having bloodied them without losing too many mechs that is probably the smart choice. Not that goons will ever aim for anything except the main objective.

I'm thinking that we could take the woods behind the ridgeline that extends from 1412 to 0719 and murder the poo poo out of a bunch of hard-charging Clanner assholes from cover. The fast mechs will have to move out ahead and draw a bit of fire while we get the big guns into position, but that's some really good cover and would be totally worth it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm thinking that we could take the woods behind the ridgeline that extends from 1412 to 0719 and murder the poo poo out of a bunch of hard-charging Clanner assholes from cover. The fast mechs will have to move out ahead and draw a bit of fire while we get the big guns into position, but that's some really good cover and would be totally worth it.

This plan is so good that there's no chance a Gooncompany would do it. Any plan that does not hinge on its entire success being obviated by a single blocking Jenner is pretty much out the window.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fortunately, I pay attention to all of the percents. ALL OF THEM.

Everyone's been added.

I'm going to try to get the update done now, but we had someone call in sick at work and I may get called in (and I work again at 5:00 AM). So, no promises.

Okay than i'd like to sign up too, even though it's been nearly a decade since i last played P&P TT (used Megamek in between). PMs are enabled.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Zeroisanumber posted:

Do what this guy said!

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Honestly, this isn't that great of an idea because it relies on sending fast mechs out ahead to die for absolutely zero reason, when they should be kept behind for a mad dash later.

It also requires sitting still in a high place. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you've got your head peeking up over a high place, guys farther away can see you. If guys farther away, with 20 range LPLs, can see you, they're going to shoot you.

Collecting on a ridge is suicide. And not even worthwhile suicide. We're not holding the line here, we're looking to punch through. Sitting on a hill and waiting to die does not help us.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Andrevian posted:

Collecting on a ridge is suicide. And not even worthwhile suicide. We're not holding the line here, we're looking to punch through. Sitting on a hill and waiting to die does not help us.

Just because you're sitting and waiting does not mean you have to do it somewhere that the enemy can wipe you out from a distance. That would be stupid. But charging out to catch the clanners ignores PTN's "they will not wait for each other" mechanic. Even if you're going to punch through, you'd still want your enemy to be as strung out as possible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Andrevian posted:

Honestly, this isn't that great of an idea because it relies on sending fast mechs out ahead to die for absolutely zero reason, when they should be kept behind for a mad dash later.

It also requires sitting still in a high place. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you've got your head peeking up over a high place, guys farther away can see you. If guys farther away, with 20 range LPLs, can see you, they're going to shoot you.

"I'm thinking that we could take the woods behind the ridgeline that extends from 1412 to 0719 and murder the poo poo out of a bunch of hard-charging Clanner assholes from cover."

Partial cover and heavy woods eliminates the Clan pulse laser advantage and allows us to gently caress with sightlines, which will be key.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
He's not saying to sit on the ridge, where everything on the map can see you. He's saying to sit behind the ridge, in the LOS-blocking woods, so anything that wants to shoot you has to walk into melee range to do it. Between our overall weight advantage, automatic initiative wins, and the fact that the enemy seems to be fighting as two stars rather than a binary, it could very easily turn into a slaughter. Bait them into the woods where their range advantage doesn't matter and then use the fact that you move second to waddle up and kick their legs off. Given that the clan commander is established not to be an idiot they may not charge piecemeal into a deathtrap, but it's still going to be tough for them to deal with.

As an added bonus, the further we make them walk to get to us, the further the Rifleman IIC will be from the action. Keeping that rear end in a top hat out of the fight will be very helpful, given that it's one of the bigger pieces of bullshit on their end of the field.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 5, 2012

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Ah, whoops. Missed that part.

Honestly, as long as we're waiting on the Atlas, Banshee, and Cyclops, we'll do that anyway without even trying.

And, 'moving as fast as your slowest mech' doesn't really count as 'charging' when we've got a 3/5 here.

"sending out lights" is what I objected to, because if we send a Light ahead, it will die. If we keep it close until the last minute, it has a better chance of not exploding. The fewer things we sacrifice, the better.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
X-14 Atlas. Orders in.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
My orders are in. Looking forward to next turn - we should get some contact with the opposition soon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orders in and I'm still :derp: but we'll torch that rope bridge once we're about to cross it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks like we're just waiting on b0lt.

Edit: You guys are going to make me double-post, aren't you?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sally Forth: Tactical Update 3

An energetic, ear-piercing shriek split the comms. Ensconced safely in his Blackjack, Tanta Hogpen clutched at his neurohelmet for a few moments wishing he could wrench it from his head. With an effort of will, he reached out to turn down his radio volume. With a touch more reluctance, he turned down the stereo system he kept beside his command couch as well. He hated fighting without music; but if the enemy was going to scream in a general broadcast he couldn’t keep his radio loud enough to keep from missing orders.

“What the hell was that?”

“That was—” Wilberforce, one of their Clanner pilots began.

Piet’s angry voice cut him off. “That was Talyn Hell Horse. She is an adoptee formerly of the Jade Falcons, and I am going to kill her.”

Mission Objective:

Defeat Clan Forces (0/10)

Or

Bypass Clan Forces (0/14)

Key:
X1 Banshee IIC, X2 Archer, X3 Po
X4 Merlin, X5 Marauder, X6 Hunchback
X7 Blackjack, X8 Dervish, X9 Vindicator
X10 Mongoose, X11 Hussar, X12 Cyclops IIC
X13 Exterminator IIC, X14 Atlas

Enemy Movement Mods:
Don’t matter this turn.
E1 Sohei: +3 Jumped
E2 Wolf Spider: +2
E3 Copperhead: +1
E4 Rifleman IIC: +2 Jumped
E5 Swordbreaker: +2
F1 Swordbreaker: +2
F2 Unknown: +2
F3 Unknown: +3
F4 Seagull: +4 Jumped
F5 Anklebiter: +2

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
CJF pilots are the worst.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait. Do the CJF pilots literally go SQUAAAAAAAAAAWK! at the beginning of battles? Because if so.... :stare: then we truly are the Clans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Wait. Do the CJF pilots literally go SQUAAAAAAAAAAWK! at the beginning of battles?

Yes.

Edit: Before, during, whenever they're standing on something high, or just whenever the hell they feel like it. It's something they're forced to practice in the sibko.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 8, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes.

Edit: Before, during, whenever they're standing on something high, or just whenever the hell they feel like it. It's something they're forced to practice in the sibko.

Is it so they can psych themselves up or freak their opponents out?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hmm...the commander may be smart enough not to charge into an ambush, but it looks like the leader of the second star could be more concerned with proving himself, and they are most definitely not waiting for the Rifleman. If they keep moving like this, give them the time to split themselves up.

(There's no guarantee that they'll actually engage piecemeal, but we can sure give them the chance).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

Wait. Do the CJF pilots literally go SQUAAAAAAAAAAWK! at the beginning of battles? Because if so.... :stare: then we truly are the Clans.

Jade Falcons are the biggest assholes in Battletech. Think about the long list of dicks, assholes, and motherfuckers in Battletech and realize how much of a massive piece of poo poo you have to be to top the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Jade Falcons are the biggest assholes in Battletech. Think about the long list of dicks, assholes, and motherfuckers in Battletech and realize how much of a massive piece of poo poo you have to be to top the list.

Jade Falcons are worse than Smoke Jags? Wow, that takes some effort.

• Locked thread