Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The remake introduces a lot of conveniences to make getting into the game easier... while introducing even more horrible ways to die and give you headaches. It's a really puzzle heavy game which is something you don't see in any 2D platformers. If Nintendo made another sidescrolling Zelda post-ALttP it would be like La-Mulana (except nowhere near as difficult... or maybe it would be, Zelda 2 was balls hard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Has anybody had any luck running it in wine or crossover? I don't think my dinky netbook (my usual GOG machine) will run it, and if it won't I'll probably pick it up on wiiware.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

al-azad posted:

Here's the La-Mulana thread. It's been dead for a week but maybe we'll get new people with the GOG release. It's a huge rear end game, even for a sidescroller. It's impossible to find everything on your first play without help.

Agreed. It's literally impossible to find Hell Temple without explict directions. (This may or may not be for the best.)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

RadicalR posted:

Agreed. It's literally impossible to find Hell Temple without explict directions. (This may or may not be for the best.)
literally? Really? Somebody had to find it first unless the dev wrote the walk through or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

andrew smash posted:

literally? Really? Somebody had to find it first unless the dev wrote the walk through or something.

I can't remember the specifics but it was something like "do these obscure things and then fall down into lava for 6 screens exactly before coming back up and then do something else entirely and finally Hell Temple is unlocked". I'd be really surprised if anyone discovered it by themselves. Though, maybe the remake changed it so it's easier to find.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Either the developer revealed it or people discovered it via the editor. It's not something you stumble upon by accident or even if you were looking for it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Either the developer revealed it or people discovered it via the editor. It's not something you stumble upon by accident or even if you were looking for it.

Actually, some crazy player actually did find it, and long before the devs released the editor. I remember reading about it on some Japanese thread way back when, though I haven't been able to dig it up when I went looking for it. It was pretty obvious that it was there because the graphics files for the original games were just regular .png files so there were a ton of OCD players actively looking for it. IIRC there were hints on how to get there dispersed throughout the game, but they were just stupidly cryptic. Whoever found it might have reverse-engineered the data files and just not said so, but it wasn't leaked by the devs or discovered via the editor.

As hidden stuff in games go it's definitely up there, but some crazy people found the Grandmaster Ending of Wizardry IV on their own too, and that game is worse than anything you'll find in La-Mulana.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Genpei Turtle posted:

Actually, some crazy player actually did find it, and long before the devs released the editor. I remember reading about it on some Japanese thread way back when, though I haven't been able to dig it up when I went looking for it. It was pretty obvious that it was there because the graphics files for the original games were just regular .png files so there were a ton of OCD players actively looking for it. IIRC there were hints on how to get there dispersed throughout the game, but they were just stupidly cryptic. Whoever found it might have reverse-engineered the data files and just not said so, but it wasn't leaked by the devs or discovered via the editor.

As hidden stuff in games go it's definitely up there, but some crazy people found the Grandmaster Ending of Wizardry IV on their own too, and that game is worse than anything you'll find in La-Mulana.

Wait, what is this about? Do you have a link?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Wait, what is this about? Do you have a link?

It's about how Hell Temple was originally discovered way back when, when La-Mulana was released in 2005 or 2006 or whatever. (This is the original Japanese release I mean, not the remake) The original freeware version stored all of its graphics in unencrypted bitmap files so just by browsing them it was pretty obvious that the hidden stuff like Hell Temple and the Tokimeki Memorial parody and the like was in there somewhere, so a lot of people set about trying to find where the hidden stuff was. One of those people eventually managed to find Hell Temple.

Much later, around the time the translation patch came out, the devs released the La-Mulana editor, but by then everyone in Japan already knew about Hell Temple. It's possible the person that found the way in originally did so by reverse-engineering the data files, but they didn't use the editor to do so, (since it hadn't been released yet) and the devs were pretty tight-lipped about the game's secrets when it first came out.

I wish I had a link to the original threads, but I can't find them. This is mostly going off memory from when I was playing the original freeware version back in 2005/2006 or so and was looking for tips. I want to say the original threads were on 2chan but I honestly don't remember.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
GOG is currently matching the 50% discount on Legend of Grimrock, snag it for $7.49 and enjoy some old-school dungeon crawling. The devs just released the level editor as well, and its probably the most user-friendly dungeon editor I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I found the original La Mulana a bit impenetrable, but I will give it a shot; I spent $10 on worse things.

I did see in the brief times I was in that topic some gnashing of teeth over "They changed it and now it sucks!" for certain puzzles. How much of that was hyperbole?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

GOG is currently matching the 50% discount on Legend of Grimrock, snag it for $7.49 and enjoy some old-school dungeon crawling. The devs just released the level editor as well, and its probably the most user-friendly dungeon editor I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Stuff like this makes me excited to play video games again. It's finally coming back around to the garage programmers that just want to make something awesome. New Ultima-style successes springing up everywhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I found the original La Mulana a bit impenetrable, but I will give it a shot; I spent $10 on worse things.

I did see in the brief times I was in that topic some gnashing of teeth over "They changed it and now it sucks!" for certain puzzles. How much of that was hyperbole?

Seeing as you have no connection to the original it won't mean anything. It's still a stupidly hard game, sometimes for the wrong reasons, but the remake is definitely more accessible. There's a dedicated slot for items so no more scanner fumbling. There's also a clear symbol in "protected" areas so you know right off the bat not to attack haphazardly. There are more instant death traps, oddly enough, but you auto-save at shrines.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

jivjov posted:

Worth noting that if you buy directly from the developers you get both non-drm version and a Steam key. The game also uses Steam Workshop which might make searching/installing mods somewhat easier if you use the Steam version.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Unlucky7 posted:

There are a few puzzles in the game that you WILL be using a guide to get past, no question about it. They're just that ridiculous to the point that they're not even about being puzzles anymore and have you mashing every possible button on every possible square your character can stand and hitting every wall with all the weapons you have until something happens, etc.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

And now there's a Activision sale going on.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/activision_weekend_promo_05_10_12

I wonder what all these big 60% off sales are about? I hope they're not desperate for money. :ohdear:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't think you should be worried. If having constant sales were a problem, then Walmart and every other major retailer would be going out of business!

Sales are a win/win for everyone. For GOG, they take in less money but they end up getting more because people will spend more on sales. It will get people who were immobile before to buy something they might not have. $2.69 is a lot better than $0. And since these are digital products, it's not like they are taking a bath on the cost of each product. And for the companies, it increases their revenue while trading off for a loss in gross profit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I've been waiting for an opportunity to grab the Impressions bullshit for cheap. :)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't think you should be worried. If having constant sales were a problem, then Walmart and every other major retailer would be going out of business!

Sales are a win/win for everyone. For GOG, they take in less money but they end up getting more because people will spend more on sales. It will get people who were immobile before to buy something they might not have. $2.69 is a lot better than $0. And since these are digital products, it's not like they are taking a bath on the cost of each product. And for the companies, it increases their revenue while trading off for a loss in gross profit.

I'm not even sure that "profit" as we'd normally understand it is a consideration with elderly digitally distributed games as far as the publisher's concerned. The game's original cost has long since been made back or written off from an accounting standpoint so any sales from here on are pure profit. They didn't even do the work in getting it to run on current generation PCs - they just handed over source code a while back and now get a constant stream of money coming in for no effort. If a sale means MORE money coming in overall but less per unit, it doesn't make a lick of difference because unit cost is meaningless in that environment.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

jivjov posted:

the devs of grimrock have been pretty open about the fact that they see more money if you buy straight from them instead of through gog or steam despite the price points being identical. Just something to consider unless you absolutely have to have that jpeg cover on your gog shelf.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

andrew smash posted:

the devs of grimrock have been pretty open about the fact that they see more money if you buy straight from them instead of through gog or steam despite the price points being identical. Just something to consider unless you absolutely have to have that jpeg cover on your gog shelf.

If you buy direct from them you also get a Steam key, and the new editor suite the game got has Steam Workshop support. That's a pretty big reason to get that version.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fil5000 posted:

I'm not even sure that "profit" as we'd normally understand it is a consideration with elderly digitally distributed games as far as the publisher's concerned. The game's original cost has long since been made back or written off from an accounting standpoint so any sales from here on are pure profit. They didn't even do the work in getting it to run on current generation PCs - they just handed over source code a while back and now get a constant stream of money coming in for no effort. If a sale means MORE money coming in overall but less per unit, it doesn't make a lick of difference because unit cost is meaningless in that environment.

Not necessarily. We don't know how GOG's contracts with publishers operate. It could be that GOG pays a minimal amount to get a game on the service then takes a cut from all sales. It could also be that GOG pays a huge amount up-front and they pocket whatever sells afterwards.

In other words, it's difficult to say when a game on the service is "profitable", because we don't know exactly how GOG's business model operates or how much money was spent to get the game on the site to start with.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

macnbc posted:

Not necessarily. We don't know how GOG's contracts with publishers operate. It could be that GOG pays a minimal amount to get a game on the service then takes a cut from all sales. It could also be that GOG pays a huge amount up-front and they pocket whatever sells afterwards.

In other words, it's difficult to say when a game on the service is "profitable", because we don't know exactly how GOG's business model operates or how much money was spent to get the game on the site to start with.

Fair point, but I was only talking from a publisher standpoint here. Everything EA has on the service is a money generator now, whether that's from a single one off payment from GOG or from a portion of every sale made. All the costs are GOGs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

andrew smash posted:

Makes me wish the direct-from-devs option came with all the little bonus goodies that GOG gives out.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Does anybody know if gog ever plans to their release cross-platform games for other OSes?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mr. why posted:

Does anybody know if gog ever plans to their release cross-platform games for other OSes?
Check back on the 18th.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
:siren: Since my favourite old school game is on sale, its time for some :gifttank:
Giving away 5 copies of Quest for Glory 1-5. Post a valid email address!

To the winners: If you are new to QfG I'd suggest starting with 1remake, then download AGD Interactives remake of 2, then continue through the series. 3 & 4 are by far the best.

Gifting an additional 5 in the Old School PC RPG Megathred. Ill send the gifts later tonight (in about 12 hours). Is there anyway to gift a game multiple times from Gog in the same transaction?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Hey, cool! I've always been interested in the series, but never checked it out. Thanks in advance.

ctstalker@gmail.com

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

dud root posted:

:siren: Since my favourite old school game is on sale, its time for some :gifttank:

I was debating whether I had the money in my paypal account to justify pulling the trigger on this, so instead, I'll just cheer and post my email address:

jdtarason@gmail.com

You are a righteous dude.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Always wanted to try those, so please do. Email is in my profile. Or if you don't want to do a straight copy paste, justivoatgmaildotcom

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Hey, QFG has been on my wishlist for awhile now. Thanks!

sabeanbandit@gmail.com

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh drat, that's one I've been looking at for awhile.

Email is ordinaryfailure at gmail dot com.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dud root posted:

To the winners: If you are new to QfG I'd suggest starting with 1remake, then download AGD Interactives remake of 2, then continue through the series. 3 & 4 are by far the best.

Gifting an additional 5 in the Old School PC RPG Megathred. Ill send the gifts later tonight (in about 12 hours). Is there anyway to gift a game multiple times from Gog in the same transaction?

ArdennesX@gmail.com!

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
Wow, that's very kind of you. I'd love a copy if they've not already all been claimed. Email is:

the_bursk at hotmail.com

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Dear GOG,

Please stop taking all my money. I have animals to feed. :(

Sincerely,
Zoe

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

dud root posted:

luisfius@gmail.com unless I am too late. Eh.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While I'm too late to get the free QFG, I might grab it at the end of the week.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
QFG owns.

Has anyone else had trouble exporting their character from QFG1 EGA using scummvm? I played that version (instead of dosbox) because it has a "no dither" mode, but I could never figure out how to export my character.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I grabbed Call to Power 2 and the Betrayal at Krondor pack from the sale. Never played the latter before, but my dog-eared copies of Computer Gaming World tell me it's one of the best RPGs of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am thinking about getting Zeus, but I heard there was a sprite slowdown issue that breaks the game in windows 7. Does that still exist?