Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

I have taken the liberty to create a map of who owns what line.

B&B- Bridgefield & Balkany
NCL- Nutmeg Coast Line
NDS- New Dublin-Salvation RR
K&W- Killingham & Wincester
DB&O- Deep Bend & Oliver
NS&W - New Sanctum & Waterbridge
GNU RR - Greater Nutmeg & Union RR
HWFR - Hartshire & West Fukov Railway
WN - Waterbridge Northern
NCNS&S - New Cork, New Sanctum & Salvation RR
H&F - Hartshire & Fairport

I also merged Opal25's line into the NCNS&S but he negotiated enough for it to buy himself a fairly palatial house in Oliver. Thats opposed to the former owners of the OVER who were forced to sell their lands to pay for the debt and now live in a shabby cottage in Opiantic. The drug-crazed father and former patriarch is in the state mental institution in West Sanctum.

As far as Hartshire is concerned, I still am lobbying for a grassy median for the ring road for future tram lines.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Koesj posted:

gently caress Photoshop.

If the scale bridge wise etc is to ambitious at the moment the initial proposal from Koesj would probably be the best one to work from. It only has one additional road bridge and the existing rail bridge is used for the full link up. That said I don't think the rail head he has removed is likely to be since it most likely serves local industry and warehouses. Where is the port btw?

I still think it would be nice if we found some economical way of getting the tram extended across the BFR.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 5, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

NCL- Nutmeg Coast Line
DB&O- Deep Bend & Oliver

I also merged Opal25's line into the NCNS&S but he negotiated enough for it to buy himself a fairly palatial house in Oliver. Thats opposed to the former owners of the OVER who were forced to sell their lands to pay for the debt and now live in a shabby cottage in Opiantic. The drug-crazed father and former patriarch is in the state mental institution in West Sanctum.

As far as Hartshire is concerned, I still am lobbying for a grassy median for the ring road for future tram lines.

Wow, great job. That was too many acronyms to memorize, even for me!

For the grassy median and ring road, that's more of an Old World thing; they were typically created when old city walls were torn down. That's where the word Boulevard comes from - the old Dutch term Bolwerk, meaning Bulwark. There's no precedent for that here in Nutmeg.

Munin posted:

If the scale bridge wise etc is to ambitious at the moment the initial proposal from Koesj would probably be the best one to work from. It only has one additional road bridge and the existing rail bridge is used for the full link up. That said I don't think the rail head he has removed is likely to be since it most likely serves local industry and warehouses. Where is the port btw?

I still think it would be nice if we found some economical way of getting the tram extended across the BFR.

I've got no problem with more road bridges, and one more RR bridge along the bend east of Hartshire. The port is along the entire southern end of the city; it's rather extensive, but is most concentrated around the oldest part of the city, just east of the river branch. Cutting out a few wharfs isn't a big deal, as there are so many more to replace them.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 5, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Cichlidae posted:

For the grassy median and ring road, that's more of an Old World thing; they were typically created when old city walls were torn down. That's where the word Boulevard comes from - the old Dutch term Bolwerk, meaning Bulwark. There's no precedent for that here in Nutmeg.

Man we only gave up most of our our Bolwerken with the passing of the (no more) fortification law of 1874 so even if the French stole the word they ran with it way before the Dutch and made stuff happen. Of course here in Groningen they parceled out the land to industries, the hospital, mansions and docks so there was to be no efficient ring road around the city center.

To 'remedy' this, the city council zoned four lane thoroughfares right through the medieval core and the 19th century neighborhoods around it, my house being situated smack in the middle of a planned signalled intersection. Unfortunately the labor party took over and canned those plans so now 57% of traffic movements inside the city are done by bike. Our progress :argh:

Can we please get some more cars in here? TYVM

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Who the hell designed that interchange in the lower left?! Did you guys let Escher into the drafting room again?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Koesj posted:

Man we only gave up most of our our Bolwerken with the passing of the (no more) fortification law of 1874 so even if the French stole the word they ran with it way before the Dutch and made stuff happen. Of course here in Groningen they parceled out the land to industries, the hospital, mansions and docks so there was to be no efficient ring road around the city center.

To 'remedy' this, the city council zoned four lane thoroughfares right through the medieval core and the 19th century neighborhoods around it, my house being situated smack in the middle of a planned signalled intersection. Unfortunately the labor party took over and canned those plans so now 57% of traffic movements inside the city are done by bike. Our progress :argh:

Can we please get some more cars in here? TYVM

You... you want more cars? :psyduck:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Koesj, tell us more about the tramline plans in Groningen :allears:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Hedera Helix posted:

You... you want more cars? :psyduck:

Pave over our monumental city center, stat.

Jeoh posted:

Koesj, tell us more about the tramline plans in Groningen :allears:

It's a mess! Coalition parties pulled the plug on the entire council because they couldn't support tram plans which were 'too much of a financial burden during these difficult times' or whatever. I've given up on trying to make sense of all of it.

On a micro level ridership numbers on the two buslines towards the campus are high enough to justify some kind of LRT solution I guess but the problem is always the nitty gritty on how to implement said solution.

Keywords: gently caress you got mine not in our city street they'll have to fill in half the canal system gauntlet track heavy rail right on top of market square translohr earmarks leftist agenda flatscreen TVs for the poor YES WE TRAM.

On a darker note, if I'd ever had to ram through a massive freeway widening I'd make sure it'd be proposed around the same time as the reintroduction of LRT to deflect all attention. Not that I'm against that particular project by the way:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I've got no problem with more road bridges, and one more RR bridge along the bend east of Hartshire. The port is along the entire southern end of the city; it's rather extensive, but is most concentrated around the oldest part of the city, just east of the river branch. Cutting out a few wharfs isn't a big deal, as there are so many more to replace them.

Kk. Would it be actually possible to take the tram across the water or is that essentially a no go? That's something that would definitely aid the cross water hookup in this period.

Also, looking at that detailed map sorting out Sanctum is going to be a nightmare.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The NCNS&S approaches the GNU RR about a merger. In exchange for fantasy money, the railroad offers to move its offices to New Sanctum and change its name to the New Cork, New sanctum,& Hartshire Railroad.

Edit: fixed the list

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 5, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

NCL- Nutmeg Coast Line
DB&O- Deep Bend & Oliver

The Hartford & Fairport isn't listed in your index :saddowns:

Koesj posted:

YES WE TRAM.

:obama:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Still waiting for the Nutmeg Quarry Shortline :smith:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
In actual traffic engineering news, I just saw this novel concept

quote:

a new speed detection system has been installed to slow down drivers near a school. Here's how it works: the traffic light is always red until a vehicle nears, but if a car is traveling faster than 45 miles per hour, the light will stay red--otherwise it will turn green (if no other vehicle is approaching)

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/10/long_beach_light_stays_red_until_you_slow_your_ass_down.php

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

Novel approach, but Streetsblog brings up this concern: "The problem arises when drivers reach a habit that they will expect immediate results if they traveling at a legal speed. However, if another approaching car was granted green first, drivers may simply run a red light, thereby increasing the number of crashes.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
In other news, a bicyclist was killed in Chicago today. In a narrow bike lane, they swerved out of the way of an opening door and into the path of a semi truck. A stark reminder of the problems with unprotected bike lanes.

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/bez/2012-10/cyclist-killed-near-north-side-should-all-bike-lanes-be-protected-102934

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a specific law about opening car doors into bike lanes? If not there should be some huge fine/ticket for not doing a shoulder check before opening your door. Have some cops do periodic enforcement along bike lanes handing out fat tickets. Just sit there watching people get out of their cars and if they don't obviously look behind them before opening the door they get a huge ticket, and maybe their door seized. Actually that might work, door seizures.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 5, 2012

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
In Missouri, it is only legal to open your door when it is safe to do so, and only legal to leave it open for the shortest period of time required to perform whatever action required opening the door.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a specific law about opening car doors into bike lanes? If not there should be some huge fine/ticket for not doing a shoulder check before opening your door. Have some cops do periodic enforcement along bike lanes handing out fat tickets. Just sit there watching people get out of their cars and if they don't obviously look behind them before opening the door they get a huge ticket, and maybe their door seized. Actually that might work, door seizures.

What about when the dude on the bike is either obscured behind some car passing on a side street, or is actually around the corner when you look?

Anyway if you open a door into somebody or right in front of them and it hurts them that's generally covered by generic laws about hurting people.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
From a dollars-per-death perspective, isn't it safer to have bikes on the sidewalk?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Install Gentoo posted:

Anyway if you open a door into somebody or right in front of them and it hurts them that's generally covered by generic laws about hurting people.

There's no "generic laws about hurting people" - you have to prove negligence or intent first. If there's no specific laws about checking before opening your door that's probably pretty tricky.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonnty posted:

There's no "generic laws about hurting people" - you have to prove negligence or intent first. If there's no specific laws about checking before opening your door that's probably pretty tricky.

What I mean is it's like if someone gets hurt from you leaving a bowling ball in the sidewalk or accidentally running into them on foot. There's no specific laws about each way, but you can get sued and you can in some cases face criminal charges.

Mandalay posted:

From a dollars-per-death perspective, isn't it safer to have bikes on the sidewalk?

If there's lots of people on the sidewalk hell no.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Knockknees posted:

In other news, a bicyclist was killed in Chicago today. In a narrow bike lane, they swerved out of the way of an opening door and into the path of a semi truck. A stark reminder of the problems with unprotected bike lanes.

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/bez/2012-10/cyclist-killed-near-north-side-should-all-bike-lanes-be-protected-102934

And this is why you place the bike lane between the sidewalk and the car lanes/parking area, and grade separate them.
The only business a car should have right of the left edge of the bike lane should be entering/leaving a side street or building.

(Also, the game seems to be pretty popular so it might be time to make it a separate thread. Also to make it more visible!)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Install Gentoo posted:

If there's lots of people on the sidewalk hell no.

Has this ever been studied?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Install Gentoo posted:

What I mean is it's like if someone gets hurt from you leaving a bowling ball in the sidewalk or accidentally running into them on foot. There's no specific laws about each way, but you can get sued and you can in some cases face criminal charges.

Only if they were being negligent though. If bump into a lamppost I can't sue the council - if I trip over one that's fallen over and hasn't been dealt with for a week I probably can. Proving that when there's no legal duty to check before opening your door is likely to be more

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Has this ever been studied?

I can't find it right now but I have seen an analysis of accident records that showed that riding on the sidewalk is much more dangerous, even without pedestrians. The biggest problem, I think, is that drivers would have to treat intersections with sidewalks like any other intersection, and they don't check for vehicles moving faster than pedestrians every time they pull out of a driveway.

On that note, I have an ignorant cop story: I was harassed in Providence once by a cop for biking on the road.
"What are you doing? When I was a kid we rode bikes on the sidewalk. "
" I thought I was supposed to ride on the road, by law... "
"Are you talking back to me? "
" No, I'm sorry officer. " moves onto sidewalk

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Riding on the sidewalk is even more dangerous if there are sections lacking curb cuts. So it's best to know ahead of time where they are, if you're going to be riding on the sidewalk of a busy street that doesn't have any nearby bike routes or lower-traffic streets.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

SurgicalOntologist posted:

"What are you doing? When I was a kid we rode bikes on the sidewalk. "
" I thought I was supposed to ride on the road, by law... "
"Are you talking back to me? "
" No, I'm sorry officer. " moves onto sidewalk

Let him treat you like his bitch and he'll keep acting like you're his bitch. Just tell him "No, I'm talking to you, answering the question you asked me as part of our conversation about the proper place to ride a bicycle."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Chaos Motor posted:

Let him treat you like his bitch and he'll keep acting like you're his bitch. Just tell him "No, I'm talking to you, answering the question you asked me as part of our conversation about the proper place to ride a bicycle."

And then he issues you a ticket which you have to go to court to prove is for an offense that DOESN'T EXIST, wasting your time both now and in the future.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Still waiting for the Nutmeg Quarry Shortline :smith:

I haven't forgotten! It's the first thing that'll get built in 1870, I promise.

Very interested in seeing the long-term results for that. It's not even a speed detector, per se, it's just a detector setback mixed with the signal resting on red. Super low tech.

Oh, it's in Long Beach? I'll be down there in a couple weeks; might give it a shot!

Knockknees posted:

Unfortunately, that's still the most common model, and it's incredibly hard to remove on-street parking. This kind of crash isn't going away any time soon.

nielsm posted:

And this is why you place the bike lane between the sidewalk and the car lanes/parking area, and grade separate them.
The only business a car should have right of the left edge of the bike lane should be entering/leaving a side street or building.

That's a great design, if you have the room for it. Around here, all of the utilities are stacked between the sidewalk and curb, so we'd have to move all those. On top of that, that strip is the snow shelf; get rid of it, and you're just plowing snow all over the sidewalk.

nielsm posted:

(Also, the game seems to be pretty popular so it might be time to make it a separate thread. Also to make it more visible!)

I still want to finish a full trial run in this thread so I can work out all the kinks. Speaking of the game, it's time for an update.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Volmarias posted:

And then he issues you a ticket which you have to go to court to prove is for an offense that DOESN'T EXIST, wasting your time both now and in the future.

So act like his bitch and get treated like one, it's up to you!

Seriously, stop being afraid of people and their perceived "power" will evaporate before your eyes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

That's a great design, if you have the room for it. Around here, all of the utilities are stacked between the sidewalk and curb, so we'd have to move all those. On top of that, that strip is the snow shelf; get rid of it, and you're just plowing snow all over the sidewalk.

Eh, it can fit in pretty narrow spaces. This road is one of the important ways into central Copenhagen, even. Everything is quite narrow, you can barely walk two people side by side and overtaking someone on bike takes a bit of dexterity to not drive off the curb. The car lanes are also quite narrow, having to constantly chicane (?) to make room for bus stops and more. There is even a slight bit of on-street parking, but as I recall it's strictly time limited. (If you need to park you find a space on a side street.)
Snow plowing isn't actually done, as far as I know, since it's barely needed: The traffic is too heavy, and even then it is also salted in the winter.

One more thing to note about the bike lanes on that road: Originally there wasn't one, and they didn't change the grade of neither car lanes nor sidewalks when the bike lanes were built. Instead, the bike lanes are raised towards the car-lane-side curb and slope slightly across. It's not a nuisance when biking, but it creates the important effect of grade separation.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nielsm posted:

Eh, it can fit in pretty narrow spaces. This road is one of the important ways into central Copenhagen, even. Everything is quite narrow, you can barely walk two people side by side and overtaking someone on bike takes a bit of dexterity to not drive off the curb.

Unfortunately, we would run into legal problems making a curbed bike lane less than 5 feet (1.5m) wide. Our design standards are much more demanding than they need to be.

-----

So let's see Hartshire's new look!

You've got two stations now (the Oliver line station is now just an industrial stub). There is an added rail/road/tram bridge, nice and wide, which should provide ample access to East Hartshire, as well as newly widened bridges to the east of the city. The tram track has two new lines, as well.

In an hour or so, I'll post the New Sanctum map. You guys are going to have fun trying to fix that one without railroad bridges...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the scale on that map? Some of those turnouts look a bit on the tight side

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

What's the scale on that map? Some of those turnouts look a bit on the tight side

C'mon, don't go crazy over the small stuff. The radius is plenty for low-speed trains, like the kind that are about to go over a large bridge or into a station.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

This reminds me of something...

Stockholm central station. It only has two tracks southbound, which has to fit commuter train, regional trains and express trains, and it's a terrible bottleneck. They're working on a new train tunnel for the commuter traffic, though.
(The northbound line is not as bad, but AFAIK the traffic on that isn't as important either.)

Edit: The construction north of our central station somewhat reminds me of Bristol Temple Meads, but that yard area saves it.

... when I get access to my regular PC again I might try reconstructing the area in Train Simulator/Railworks.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 5, 2012

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

C'mon, don't go crazy over the small stuff. The radius is plenty for low-speed trains, like the kind that are about to go over a large bridge or into a station.

Oh what next you'll tell me to stop making my diagram showing how the signalling system works?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Oh what next you'll tell me to stop making my diagram showing how the signalling system works?

I'm going to be very disappointed if your system doesn't entirely consist of a single man on a watchtower holding a megaphone and a lantern.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the tallest tower and brightest light we could build in this timeframe? Imagine the great lighthouse, but for signalling trains.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Now, let's fix New Sanctum!

Here is the city, as it currently appears.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFVzdwMG5vV3NHR1E

The color scheme is exactly the same. You will certainly notice that there are four rail stations - two on each side of the river. You will also notice Nutmeg's most prestigious university, Gale College, situated around its famous Quadrangle. You're nuts if you think any of that is getting bulldozed.

So, what are our goals this time around?

1) Improve rail connectivity and coherence!
2) Improve access to New Sanctum's southernmost industrial area!
3) Maintain as much of the existing city as possible!

Let me know if you have any questions, and otherwise, do your best for Nutmeg, and for the Nation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Now, let's fix New Sanctum!

Here is the city, as it currently appears.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFVzdwMG5vV3NHR1E

The color scheme is exactly the same. You will certainly notice that there are four rail stations - two on each side of the river. You will also notice Nutmeg's most prestigious university, Gale College, situated around its famous Quadrangle. You're nuts if you think any of that is getting bulldozed.

So, what are our goals this time around?

1) Improve rail connectivity and coherence!
2) Improve access to New Sanctum's southernmost industrial area!
3) Maintain as much of the existing city as possible!

Let me know if you have any questions, and otherwise, do your best for Nutmeg, and for the Nation!

You mentioned that we can't create a railroad bridge across the BFR here?