Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Okay, so she doesn't age, she's just changed her appearance over the years.

I'm leaning more towards golem, given the chapter title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She looks younger to me in this one. Not just her clothes, her face. Either way Jimmy Jims has a thing for older ladies.

This would also explain the golem heart T-shirt. Vindication!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Oh great a new comic is u-

:stare:

:stonk:

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I am going for the mundane explanation: this is actually Jones' mom.

Incidentally, does the Court produce all of his own staff? And turning that around, do we now of any past student who has a job and life away from the Court? Tony is the only one I can think of, but there is a good chance that his past and present research is Court-sponsored.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dammit Donny, that's not how guys say hello! :mad:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Huh, so she was a teacher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And yet she used to dress younger.

Although maybe that was just the fashions.

Also Tom doesn't know the meaning of solved.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

With all the other crazy stuff that happens and has happened in this universe, I wouldn't think it was out of the question to have Jones never age, so golem/earth elemental/whatever else is a possibility. She's completely emotionless, seems to mimic body language and other cues of human interaction instead of having them occur through natural socialization (her constant, unchanging expression helps with this one), sinks like a stone in water, has above average strength (punching through the wall in the Power Station chapter), made a glancing sound when James struck her cheek with his sword while sparring (also the way she manipulated his blade should have easily cut her hands). Lots and lots of things point to her not being completely human.

Of course, she could be totally telling the truth when she said she was not a robot (she's in fact an android :monocle:). I dunno, I'm terrible at theories.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It would be interesting if the earth elemental equivalent of the fire elemental spirit curse is that she simply doesn't die.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Oldest Man posted:

It would be interesting if the earth elemental equivalent of the fire elemental spirit curse is that she simply doesn't die.

Hmm. Maybe instead of dieing when she has a child, she simply cannot have children. She reaches full age and then just stops. So Earth elemental and human produce child. Child cannot reproduce, but lives either forever, or a very long time.

This certainly explains why James didn't consider her a romantic partner like he did Surma.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 5, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fire burns out. Stone lasts an eternity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MikeJF posted:

Fire burns out. Stone lasts an eternity.
Good point. Also, fire gutters out, but can spark a new flame before it does. I'm liking the idea that if she's an earth elemental, she cannot give birth, because stone does not produce more stone on its own.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm curious how Human she is given how Coyote said she was the perfect illustration of his theory. He also asked her if "Jones" was the latest name she'd stolen. I'd bet she's something else pretending to be Human. She can break magical bindings with her bare hands, but can't use a blinker stone.

Also, when Zimmy went into Annie's dream, she saw Jones give Annie the mask.

Not sure what it all means, but there's a lot of strange stuff about Jones.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AE-35 Unit posted:

Of course, she could be totally telling the truth when she said she was not a robot (she's in fact an android :monocle:).

:eng101: gynoid

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Dammit Donny, that's not how guys say hello! :mad:

Everyone knows that you should greet everyone as "GREETINGS HUMAN PERSON"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a technically gender-neutral neutral term, out of curioisty? Anthroid?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

In this case the masculine form and the neutral form are identical, so it'd be "android."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bongo Bill posted:

In this case the masculine form and the neutral form are identical, so it'd be "android."

I guess you could make a case for humoid, but that sounds dumb as hell and I'm no linguist so I have no idea if my mashing together of the greek roots actually works.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The objection to "android" is that the Greek word it comes from explicitly means "man" rather than "human": it could barely be more specifically masculine. Not a lot of people are going to have the etymology in their heads whent they use the word (and arguing about the "real" meaning of a word based on its etymology is kind of silly anyway), so it's not really a huge deal, but it isn't complete nonsense either. (It'd have to be "anthropoid" if you wanted to be regular about it; one reason why nobody says that might be the fact that that word is otherwise occupied.)

Also, obviously stone elementals might erode and age if they spend a lot of time around air or water elementals. I can't think of anyone who particularly fits that idea, so it's not really a point against or in favour of that hypothesis, but I guess either way we'll find out something next week.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

So Jones' mystery is finally completely solved, but what about good ol' Donny? This is strongly implying he used to be a forest denizen. :aaa:

Guessing he used to be a mole because of his nearsightedness.

(And yeah I guess that he could have just plain old moved to GC but when does that ever happen)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

JT Jag posted:

I'm liking the idea that if she's an earth elemental, she cannot give birth, because stone does not produce more stone on its own.

Birth-giving rocks would like a word with you

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

HalfHazard posted:

So Jones' mystery is finally completely solved, but what about good ol' Donny? This is strongly implying he used to be a forest denizen. :aaa:

Not really. Antimony came from the UK, Kat went on vacation on the Continent, and Coyote came over from the States. There's more than just the Court and the Forest in the GC world.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, so she doesn't age, she's just changed her appearance over the years.

I'm leaning more towards golem, given the chapter title.

If the excuse for this is that robot was refuted but golem wasn't, when those two things are basically exactly the same in every meaningful way, then I just don't even know. I mean okay she's not anything like the court robots, but it would still be kind of an irritating gotcha.

Jones is:
1) not a robot
2) a magic robot

:what:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I guess you could make a case for humoid, but that sounds dumb as hell and I'm no linguist so I have no idea if my mashing together of the greek roots actually works.

:pseudo: Mandroid

e/ In the sense of mashing together greek and old english in a way that is probably completely invalid, as opposed to being a ridiculously superfluous (fake, invented) synonym of android for people who don't understand greek.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 5, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Well, I remember reading somewhere that Jones is "older than she looks" but it's still strange to see it. No closer to figuring out the nickname of "Wandering Eye", unless it's simply just Coyote's name for a being that apparently lives for a long, long time, affiliated to no real side, possibly wandering around before coming to the court and just watching life pass by over time...

I wonder how old she is at this point, and when she came to the court (if that wasn't said already). Before or after Jeanne?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JT Jag posted:

Good point. Also, fire gutters out, but can spark a new flame before it does. I'm liking the idea that if she's an earth elemental, she cannot give birth, because stone does not produce more stone on its own.

But that means that if you break Jones in two or more, you'll get several smaller Jones.

INVASION OF THE MINI-JONES: Coming soon never on a haptic simulator near you.

e: Sorry, Dr Disaster fiercely vetoed the idea.

MikeJF posted:

Robot.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Robot is more of a catch all term, since it would include robots working on car assembly lines and other non humanoid designs. An Android is a *humanoid* robot

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I've been playing with the idea that Jones may be something of a counterpoint to Coyote. Coyote is endowed with his power by reverence of natural mystery, and Jones may well be endowed with her own by humanity's reverence for itself. This theory, of course, makes a lot less sense than "She is an Earth Elemental." But the name Wandering Eye could also be a reference to humans turning their worship of nature inward. Of course, that makes for no explanation at all toward any of her other questionable attributes. She's almost certainly an Earth Elemental or the offspring thereof.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

HalfHazard posted:

Guessing he used to be a mole because of his nearsightedness.

(And yeah I guess that he could have just plain old moved to GC but when does that ever happen)
Forest dudes have pointy ears. I think he just moved :)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fatkraken posted:

Robot is more of a catch all term, since it would include robots working on car assembly lines and other non humanoid designs. An Android is a *humanoid* robot

There's always "simulant" if you feel like continuing the long standing tradition of adopting [varyingly] made up words from science fiction for general use.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
First off, drat that's creepy. I can see why Jimmy Jims was so weirded out in the first place. Was Jones... into him from the start?

Looks like there is a small bit of change in Jones as time passes. For one thing, she straightened her hair at some point. And I can't help feel she does look a bit older in the present. Though that might be her clothes more than anything else.

Know what, gently caress it, I haven't the slightest idea what's going on.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Gotta say, looking at the page before, Tom really captured the facial expression for "drat, this woman who doesn't seem to age and is hundreds of years older than me and probably not a human sure is laying it on thick even though she knew me when I was 10." Because that is the face I would be making, too.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I never get tired of Donny's glasses changing with his expressions.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Pastrymancy posted:

Forest dudes have pointy ears. I think he just moved :)

Kat's summer holiday letters to Annie mention her dad's relatives in Scotland, so yeah, he's just a Scottish guy, not some kind of weird forest mole or something.

Where does the thread get these ideas?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Blech, look at the 80s color scheme in that room. No wonder their interior decorator (Jones) decided on Monolothic-School-with-Many-Unexplained-Mysteries Grey by the time Annie showed up.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Zenzirouj posted:

Blech, look at the 80s color scheme in that room. No wonder their interior decorator (Jones) decided on Monolothic-School-with-Many-Unexplained-Mysteries Grey by the time Annie showed up.

Now I'm just imagining Jones with an interior decoration show on HGTV.

"This wallpaper is an abomination." *punches the whole wall down, fills the space with concrete*

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Looking back at the past week in light of today's strip, it's possible we may have been misreading the situation. Is Jones' attention to Eglamore actually motherly affection and not romantic interest? Not his literal mother, necessarily.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Looking back at the past week in light of today's strip, it's possible we may have been misreading the situation. Is Jones' attention to Eglamore actually motherly affection and not romantic interest? Not his literal mother, necessarily.

Do people generally show motherly affection in response to someone's romantic despair by kissing the back of his neck, rubbing his chest, and claiming to always be there for him? :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're suggesting that this and this are motherly?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I certainly can see her trying to be motherly. This would go along with that Jones doesn't experience emotions and just tries to mimic them.

She might just be completely missing the mark on what motherly is in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's always "simulant" if you feel like continuing the long standing tradition of adopting [varyingly] made up words from science fiction for general use.

Let's not forget Replicant! Or reploid :haw: