Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

Wouldn't it be better to place such a barrier later in the game and ease up to it, so more people could play and thus buy the game? I immediately hit the barrier you're talking about in Gears of War for instance, such that I couldn't consider buying it, though co op where my friend did all the work was still fun. Uncharted though, which had a similar barrier for me, I didn't hit til about halfway through. Enough that by the time I grew frustrated, I had at least bought it and played a good deal.

Yeah, I suck at cover shooters. Except Mass Effect which is really easy.

But then people have to slog through so many hours of easy gameplay to get to the good stuff? Then it would be WoWesque.

Cant there just be some hard games out there? Some people dig that. I dont, aint gonna play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it comparable in that respect to say, Punch Out?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Is it comparable in that respect to say, Punch Out?

I'm so glad you squeezed this in before the probation. The answer is a big fat yes.

For every new fighter you need to know a new attack pattern, and you have some native skills that translate between fights but each boss is so different you might fail a few times before you finally nail it.

Of course, the AI is much more organic in MH, and you'll have to deal wih things like the monster escaping and trying to eat/sleep/recover.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
The thing that had really made me attached to Monster Hunter is that, yeah the difficulty is way out there, but they're giving you a realistic time frame to accomplish the goals. Monster Hunter Tri was my very first action game that I've played other than the Zelda and Mario franchise, so the prospect of having a game built entirely on taking on boss fights and making cool armor out of them seemed to be really fun. In the later game, they give you 30-50 minutes per mission to find and kill some giant dude. That was more than enough time to find it, deduce it's patterns for a couple minutes, and then slowly and gradually weaken its defences. If time ran out, try again and apply what you've learned from the first fight. I'm usually categorized as being the "too scared to attack head on, just dodge and roll like crazy until seeing a big ol' opening" player when it comes to action games, but this game taught me to analyze openings more clearly and precisely, even the tiniest ones, with a time limit in mind. Rolling and dodging was all well and good, but I've also learned to be more aggressive with attacks and to not depend on dodging absolutely everything or else I'd have never finished the fight in time.

This is coming from me who tends to dislike high difficulty games (I always stick to normal/easy modes in any kind of game that involved action.) Monster Hunter, however, just clicked and the difficulty didn't matter. The payoff was really worth it. Oh, and multiplayer was so freaking fun. I hope that we'll all share codes and stuff once this game and the Wii U comes out, I really want to play with some goons!

ChuckLogan
Oct 10, 2009

Oh yeah? Well, I had sex with your wife!

Bland posted:

Yeah it's bullshit isn't it? Devil May Cry pulls that poo poo too, I've been trying to tell people that game's a WoW clone for years but everyone just looks at me funny. The evidence is there people!!

Same with Skyward Sword, if you use your stamina bar all the way up you have a "cool down." If that does not scream MMO(which means World of Warcraft because that is the only game in the genre) then I don't know what does. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I am actually sad to think that Skyward Sword is the last Zelda that will use the Wiimote. Surely all big Nintendo games(the next Zelda and 3D Mario) will make great use of the GamePad. The Wiimote seems to me bumped down to "use if you are too cheap to buy a Pro controller." :ohdear:

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

English screens to torture Policenaut: http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/04/monster-hunter-3-looks-impressive-on-wii-u/

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Why is Nintendo forcing me to buy a WiiU :negative:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Makes me wish PSO2 was getting a WiiU port to follow in the footsteps of PSOE1&2 on GCN.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
PSO2 is pretty meh tbh. I CAN'T STAND their stupid "here is 9% of the game, we'll be releasing an addition 1% every 2 weeks, enjoy" model. Its just against my very nature. I want major releases and major content releases, not trickles. I dont get excited about a trickle and just lose interest.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man. I really want to see the game in motion. I heard a lot of rumors that it will be 60 FPS (and it seems likely) but I want to see it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man. I really want to see the game in motion. I heard a lot of rumors that it will be 60 FPS (and it seems likely) but I want to see it.
30 FPS, based off of someone on 2ch who got to play it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

just a butt posted:

30 FPS, based off of someone on 2ch who got to play it.
Capcom: Never optimize. Never put forth effort.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Yeah seriously. I mean I'm still gonna be buying the same loving game over and over but at least make improvements like that when the hardware power has gone up a hundred fold.

The MGS HD collection really needs to be the standard for HD remakes. The game rendered everything at 1080p widescreen, 60 FPS, and applied anti-aliasing.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 4, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Well there are clearly improvements... It's in 1080p and everything has shadows now like in 3G. But if Call of Duty can run at 60FPS then surely so can an upscaled Wii game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Well there are clearly improvements... It's in 1080p and everything has shadows now like in 3G. But if Call of Duty can run at 60FPS then surely so can an upscaled Wii game.

Call of Duty isn't even 720p. It's 600p or something. The only 1080p 60 fps game I can think of off the top of my head is Perfect Dark Zero. So that's what games on this level of hardware look like running 60 frames at that resolution.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

The MGS HD collection really needs to be the standard for HD remakes. The game rendered everything at 1080p widescreen, 60 FPS, and applied anti-aliasing.
MGS HD and Ico/SotC HD are pretty much the gold standards of HD ports in my opinion. Coincidentally they were both developed by Bluepoint, who also developed the God of War HD Collection as well (Which I have not played but have heard id a very good port). It's a shame more developers don't put in the effort.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Call of Duty isn't even 720p. It's 600p or something. The only 1080p 60 fps game I can think of off the top of my head is Perfect Dark Zero. So that's what games on this level of hardware look like running 60 frames at that resolution.
Perfect Dark Zero was a first gen Xbox360 game that began development on Gamecube, so I'm pretty sure a heavily optimized game made now could get away with it and look better than that. Obviously to get away with it and look up to par with modern stuff it would have to be on a much more powerful console.

Or developed by one of those teams that seem to laugh in the face of console limitations.

Of course it's kind of irrelevant to my original point: Capcom makes lazy HD ports

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 4, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Of course it's kind of irrelevant to my original point: Capcom makes lazy HD ports

Well I don't know how :filez: this is but people running MH3 on Dolphin get tons of bugs when they try to force 60 frames or AA. It's not a simple frame rate limit, most if not all of the animations of the game are locked at 30 frames, much like Diablo 2 is locked at 24 frames and can't run any smoother, or lots of SNES games are locked at 30 frames.

It's not as simple as optimizing they'd have to re-animate every single thing in the game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 4, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not as simple as optimizing they'd have to re-animate every single thing in the game.
Oh, that makes more sense. Also, we actually have a Dolphin emulator thread here, somewhere. You can talk about emulation as long as you don't discuss/link to piracy.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

AngryBooch posted:

Perfect Dark Zero renders at 1152x640. Not sure where you are getting that it rendered at 1080p from.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

I love the exaggerated animations and the subtle humor of the game, overall. Your hunter getting terrified and running Jackie-Chan style when in the sights of a monster, taking big chugs of a healing potion and then striking a strong-man pose, roasting meat in the field to the tune of country music while your pet cat runs around frantically.

Your pet cat.

EDIT: It'd be so cool if a partner could split-screen co-op as ChaCha. You'd only be able to do a basic stun attack, buff/heal the player slightly, and tank the occasional attack. It would be the best Girlfriend Mode™ option since Mario Galaxy's second pointer.
ChaCha on the gamepad screen, help manage random inventory/assist stuff on the fly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

evilalien posted:

Perfect Dark Zero renders at 1152x640. Not sure where you are getting that it rendered at 1080p from.

Yeah release games never look that great. Over time, developers understand the hardware more and more, and create engines that can squeeze more shiny-shiny out of aging hardware.

Look up some reviews of Modern Warfare 1. In the graphics department the game got 9 or 10/10 pretty much everywhere, people thought that it was impossible for the 360 to do this. Now we have games that look like Crysis 2 running on the 360.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
30FPS framerate isn't necessarily due to laziness or lack of power or whatever - some games are programmed to run at a certain hard framerate and will flip the gently caress out if you try to change it in either direction. For a game like MH that is so dependent on timing and feel it's crucial that they don't screw anything up, especially because it has to sync with the 3DS version.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah release games never look that great. Over time, developers understand the hardware more and more, and create engines that can squeeze more shiny-shiny out of aging hardware.

Look up some reviews of Modern Warfare 1. In the graphics department the game got 9 or 10/10 pretty much everywhere, people thought that it was impossible for the 360 to do this. Now we have games that look like Crysis 2 running on the 360.
Frankly the fact that Wii U launch games look as good as they do has me somewhat hopeful. Though I guess whether the Wii U has potential to similarly amaze in the future or whether the launch games look good because the Wii U architecture is already just so similar to the 360, it remains to be seen.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

30FPS framerate isn't necessarily due to laziness or lack of power or whatever - some games are programmed to run at a certain hard framerate and will flip the gently caress out if you try to change it in either direction. For a game like MH that is so dependent on timing and feel it's crucial that they don't screw anything up, especially because it has to sync with the 3DS version.

The 3DS version doesn't run at 30FPS, though. Somewhere between 30 and 60.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

just a butt posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U version is exactly the same. Half the people reporting/complaining about framerate aren't able to accurately tell the difference to begin with, which is what makes this sort of pre-release chatter so tedious - new games, ports, new platforms, old ones, it doesn't matter.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just a butt posted:

What? The games need to be in sync if the animations are locked like that, and right now the industry will only pick 30 or 60, anything in the middle looks weird.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He probably means variable framerate, ie it alternates between solid 30FPS and 60FPS depending on the situation. Lots of games do it.

For what it's worth, a lot of "solid" 60FPS drop frames all over the place, but past a certain point most people simply don't notice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

Most console games don't run above 30 anyway.

I thought Pikmin 3 was the only thing to look forward to on the WiiU but with the news of MH3HD/screen/3DS version that links with the WiiU version I'm not even thinking about Pikmin 3 anymore.

The sad part is I'm probably going to be buying this for both the WiiU and the 3DS and probably a couple copies for some friends just so I have someone to play with locally (since I'm sure there's going to be plenty of Goons to play with online). And I might buy a 3DS or two for some friends that I know won't have the console or game at the time. :negative:

This game is going hurt my wallet.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ChuckLogan posted:

Same with Skyward Sword, if you use your stamina bar all the way up you have a "cool down." If that does not scream MMO(which means World of Warcraft because that is the only game in the genre) then I don't know what does. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I am actually sad to think that Skyward Sword is the last Zelda that will use the Wiimote. Surely all big Nintendo games(the next Zelda and 3D Mario) will make great use of the GamePad. The Wiimote seems to me bumped down to "use if you are too cheap to buy a Pro controller." :ohdear:

I'm a little confused. Unlike the other examples, that Skyward Sword stamina one is an example of a codown.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liku posted:

Most console games don't run above 30 anyway.

I thought Pikmin 3 was the only thing to look forward to on the WiiU but with the news of MH3HD/screen/3DS version that links with the WiiU version I'm not even thinking about Pikmin 3 anymore.

Yeah, seriously. I thought Pikmin 3 was going to be the big deal within the first few months, but holy gently caress it was the tip of the iceberg.

I might not even bother getting it. MH3U will be my whole drat life for at least a year.

EDIT: I was visited by lady luck today or something. Gamestop was doing a promotion I was unaware of (that ends this sunday) where you get 2x the credit for trade-ins. I traded in my old 80 GB PS3 and got $180 dollars towards the U. That means I only owe $170, and after trading in my Wii I'll only owe $100.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 5, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Sonic Racing interview: http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/04/interview-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-on-wii-u/

Other than the map and off TV mode for the gamepad, there's rear view, weapon cam, or opponent cam if you want to see what someone else is seeing. For local multi, other than the 5 player splitscreen+gamepad racing, there's also two asymmetric modes added for the Wii U version:

quote:

We’ve got the Shinobi mode where you’re Joe Musashi from Shinobi and you’ve got the GamePad, and you can see where everyone else is with little arrows round your screen but everyone else [playing on the TV] can’t see you. Well, they can see you but they don’t know where you are [there are no arrows]. You have to basically smash into them, and if you smash into them they become a Shinobi too. Then you, as the master Shinobi, can tap on one of the remaining players’ heads, and when you do that a big red arrow appears above them.

Then we’ve got another mode where the GamePad player’s got a big Monkey Ball and he runs around squashing people. That’s about it really! [laughs]

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Japanese retailers began taking preorders today.
Total wipeout.
Gone in hours, if not sooner.

Considering that N64, GC, and Wii were all available for preordering up to launch, Wii U's going to rocket out of the gate, and, with other major titles in the pipeline ready to go, I think there's enough to keep the drive alive.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm not entirely sure because I read most of Japan's gaming blogs (i.e. JIN, Hachima, Sinobi) through Google Translate but it looks like that Monster Hunter bundle is going to be the big one everyone's gunning for.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Japanese retailers began taking preorders today.
Total wipeout.
Gone in hours, if not sooner.

I really thought the Wii couldn't be outdone.

Boy was I loving wrong. I pre-ordered early in case of some disastrous scenario, to learn that particular Gamestop ran out of both models within 24 hours.

When I sold my PS3 towards it today all the employees were talking about how lucky I was and how many people they've had to turn down/refer to the waiting list which is apparently a thousand strong (this is a university Gamestop with like 1.2 people in it at any given time).

I really thought the console would receive a mixed response out of the gate ("Mario, blops, and a bunch of ports? I think I'll wait") but holy gently caress it looks like it's going to blow the Wii's release craziness out of the water. People might get onto a waiting list today and get their console well into spring 2013.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 6, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, seriously. I thought Pikmin 3 was going to be the big deal within the first few months, but holy gently caress it was the tip of the iceberg.

I might not even bother getting it. MH3U will be my whole drat life for at least a year.

Seriously, I need to get on my Steam back catalog before I never touch any of those games again.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I didn't think Wii U'd resonate so strongly with the general public especially after the rather lackluster E3 presentation.
But the buzz does appear to be hitting hysteria levels. It's not just the MH bundle, all models sold out instantly. Even now I get errors trying to access Amazon JP.
Boy am I glad I preordered the NA model now, even though I will have to get the JP model eventually.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It could well be that people were ready and willing to buy the next Wii model all along, simply via iPhone-esque brand strength.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liku posted:

Seriously, I need to get on my Steam back catalog before I never touch any of those games again.

Oh don't loving remind me. I have like 30 games combined on both Steam and my Wii I half-assed and still haven't beaten

I love the games to death but then I end up playing Tribes Ascend for four hours straight and reading harry potter.

v v v v While that might be true basically every retailer running out of pre-orders not three days into allowing them is pretty telling. Can anyone who works/knows someone who works at gamestop talk about how many pre-orders each store is allowing?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
It could also mean there aren't a shitload of them available for purchase on day one.

• Locked thread