Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

So I just bought a SGS3 off of Ebay. I'm not worried about the ESN being clean or anything. I'm wondering if Sprint's gonna try and come after me for my discount when I go to activate the phone (and get rid of my burning-out Evo 4G).

I guess the question is, if I activate this online, do I run the risk of getting a call from Sprint cancelling my ISM plan? I mean, this isn't an iPhone, so there shouldn't be anything that would flag the system, other than me swapping out a device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Cock Democracy posted:

Since I'm not going to actually activate the iPhone, will I have to switch my plan or add the $10/mo addon? I want to keep the $40/mo plan.

I'm pretty sure no. Nothing has to change until activation and if you were actually going to use it, you wouldn't have to change plans - Employee Care can handle the addon/activation for SERO. Don't let anyone else touch it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gently caress, I forgot to write down my MSL and I already flashed my phone back to stock and relocked the bootloader :downsgun:

Guess I'll call Sprint because I really need to zero out those data proxy servers if they're on there. I went from Google Music being no problem to Google Music being unable to play going from CM10 to stock.

I went back to stock because CM just doesn't seem to be quite there yet regarding speed and stability. I mean, they're 90% of the way there but the 10% remaining really grates on me. I'll probably flash back once they get to a stable release.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
If anyone is scared by the "up to 3 weeks" ship time on the iphone 5, it seems to be an overstatement. I ordered a 64GB black one yesterday. It shipped early this morning and is scheduled to be delivered today.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress, I forgot to write down my MSL and I already flashed my phone back to stock and relocked the bootloader :downsgun:

Guess I'll call Sprint because I really need to zero out those data proxy servers if they're on there. I went from Google Music being no problem to Google Music being unable to play going from CM10 to stock.

I went back to stock because CM just doesn't seem to be quite there yet regarding speed and stability. I mean, they're 90% of the way there but the 10% remaining really grates on me. I'll probably flash back once they get to a stable release.

Why would you relock the bootloader? Just install a rooted stock ROM until CM is ready.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cock Democracy posted:

If anyone is scared by the "up to 3 weeks" ship time on the iphone 5, it seems to be an overstatement. I ordered a 64GB black one yesterday. It shipped early this morning and is scheduled to be delivered today.

64s will be the most available, followed by the 32, then 16. Very few people buy the 64GB, so that's why you got it so quick.

16s are starting to trickle in store wise, but we are getting like, twice as many frickin 32s. Mind blowing, and I'm pretty sure its our management being retarded.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Yeah I was able to walk into the sprint store on launch day at lunch and pick up a 64 gig. I don't see how anyone could use a iPhone with less memory than that.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Having owned an EVO LTE for a couple months now, I really wish I had waited for a GS3. My friend also got a GS3 and while the build quality isn't as good, the stock GS3 rom is light years ahead of the EVO. The EVO LTE is slow, clunky, has broken multi-tasking, freezes constantly, lags worse than my 2 year old HTC Desire, and has a barely functioning LTE radio. I'm not kidding, you have to constantly switch airplane mode off an on in order for the drat thing to pick up and switch to an LTE signal...

The CM10 rom for the EVO LTE is still quite a ways off from being a valid replacement. The CM10 rom I was running a couple weeks ago didn't even have working GPS, lol. For the time being, the device is usable under MeanRom or any number of the custom roms that help to fix multi-tasking, but the underlying Sense software is still as bad as ever - a custom launcher helps a bit as well.

The iPhone isn't even a consideration for me, but if you're considering an Android device I really think you'd be happy with the GS3 if you need to upgrade soon.

I just helped my wife upgrade her OG EVO4G to the GS3, and it has been a bit of a learning curve for her to get used to the phone (touchwiz/ICS/JB differences compounded). Hopefully she likes it in the longrun. I think the phone is great in terms of performance, however I dont like the build quality/design as much as the EVO4GLTE, and touchwiz is total and complete poo poo. All I say to myself as I help her set the phone up is "Well on my phone which is running ASOP it's easy to change this/that." I'm still running my OGEVO on CM7, and loving it as much as the first day I rooted the phone.

At this point, why can't manufacturers just stop loving up a good thing (JB is solid).... I know I am :spergin: its a :10bux: - :20bux: issue of revenue and brand, but drat if it isn't frustrating.

It is interesting to hear your experience with the EVOLTE, thanks for sharing. Looks like I will just be waiting with my OGEVO until next release, which seems like it is nowhere in the future? christmas?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Duckman2008 posted:

64s will be the most available, followed by the 32, then 16. Very few people buy the 64GB, so that's why you got it so quick.

16s are starting to trickle in store wise, but we are getting like, twice as many frickin 32s. Mind blowing, and I'm pretty sure its our management being retarded.

After trying and failing to reserve one on Apple.com last night, I called my local store today, and they "only" have 32 and 64s, sweet.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah I was able to walk into the sprint store on launch day at lunch and pick up a 64 gig. I don't see how anyone could use a iPhone with less memory than that.

Because they put less stuff on their phone than you. :downs:

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My brother texted me to say he dropped his iPhone 4S on cement and it scuffed up the screen really bad. I don't think it's cracked but it's a bit messed up. He doesn't have TEP or AppleCare or anything like that. Is his only option to get it repaired or is there anything that Sprint or Apple can do?

Thankfully it's still usable, I told him to get a screen protector and put it on so he won't get scraped up by it.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

I have a Family Plan with two lines on it, currently. Both lines are currently iPhone 4S's.

I really, really want to make the switch back to Android, and I'm looking at getting the Galaxy Note 2 later this month/early next month.

The friend that I'm on the plan with has a husband, and I've offered to cut him in by adding a line, giving him my 4S, and using his new line equipment purchase to buy a Galaxy Note 2.

Is this something that's doable, like can I make sure Sprint moves his number to my 4S, and moves my number to a Note 2, with minimal hassle? Should this be done in person at a store, or can I do it over the phone/internet?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastAshenHero posted:

I have a Family Plan with two lines on it, currently. Both lines are currently iPhone 4S's.

I really, really want to make the switch back to Android, and I'm looking at getting the Galaxy Note 2 later this month/early next month.

The friend that I'm on the plan with has a husband, and I've offered to cut him in by adding a line, giving him my 4S, and using his new line equipment purchase to buy a Galaxy Note 2.

Is this something that's doable, like can I make sure Sprint moves his number to my 4S, and moves my number to a Note 2, with minimal hassle? Should this be done in person at a store, or can I do it over the phone/internet?

Its easy, add the new line with the GN2. When it arrives, call to activate with the new phone and your iPhone's MEIDs handy. Tell them "I want to activate this new phone, but please put it on this line, and put this iPhone that's on this line on this other line instead."

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

sirbeefalot posted:

Its easy, add the new line with the GN2. When it arrives, call to activate with the new phone and your iPhone's MEIDs handy. Tell them "I want to activate this new phone, but please put it on this line, and put this iPhone that's on this line on this other line instead."

So they won't automatically activate it on the new line? That's awesome, thanks!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Duckman2008 posted:

"Well, you could wait for us to get this cheaper phone in stock, but we have this more expensive one in RIGHT NOW."

Yeah, they're pretty dumb alright, I'm surprised they can put on pants.

Edit: So this isn't just snark, anyone tried the JB leak for the SGS3 yet? I gave it a shot, but the warning on xda is that if you don't do a full wipe (and be picky about what you restore from backup) you'll get crashes.

Also I had a :qq: about the fact they got rid of the Windy Weather live background until I figured out how to get it my backup to work on the new rom. I'm not totally impressed with it overall - it managed to completely delete all my contacts on-phone AND promptly sync the lack of contacts to Google Contacts (???) but after restoring them from my backup they stayed put.

Harik fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 3, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DanAdamKOF posted:

My brother texted me to say he dropped his iPhone 4S on cement and it scuffed up the screen really bad. I don't think it's cracked but it's a bit messed up. He doesn't have TEP or AppleCare or anything like that. Is his only option to get it repaired or is there anything that Sprint or Apple can do?

Thankfully it's still usable, I told him to get a screen protector and put it on so he won't get scraped up by it.

His only hope is apple, which to be fair is a decent company to have your hope in. Have him take it by an Apple store, if they are in a goof mood hr might not have a fee, of they aren't then the standard fee is $200 I believe.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Having owned an EVO LTE for a couple months now, I really wish I had waited for a GS3. My friend also got a GS3 and while the build quality isn't as good, the stock GS3 rom is light years ahead of the EVO. The EVO LTE is slow, clunky, has broken multi-tasking, freezes constantly, lags worse than my 2 year old HTC Desire, and has a barely functioning LTE radio. I'm not kidding, you have to constantly switch airplane mode off an on in order for the drat thing to pick up and switch to an LTE signal...

The CM10 rom for the EVO LTE is still quite a ways off from being a valid replacement. The CM10 rom I was running a couple weeks ago didn't even have working GPS, lol. For the time being, the device is usable under MeanRom or any number of the custom roms that help to fix multi-tasking, but the underlying Sense software is still as bad as ever - a custom launcher helps a bit as well.

I'm actually very happy with my Evo LTE and having seen my co-worker's S3, I'm glad I didn't wait. My screen is better, Sense is a hell of a lot less ugly than Touch Wiz, construction doesn't feel cheap, performance seems about the same and the camera is great (especially compared to the OG Evo). I don't have LTE service in my area until early next year, so I can't speak to that, but I'm really not seeing the problems you're talking about otherwise.

Well, I did root on day one and fix multitasking eventually, so there's that, but otherwise I'm on the stock ROM and pretty happy. I do with they'd have put quick settings buttons in the notifications tray, but there are widgets for that.

The only reason I'd consider an S3 over and Evo LTE is if the S3 is cheaper and can be rooted more easily.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
For the second time in the past month or so, my E4G Touch screen has frozen up in a weird video card freaking out kind of way. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's like a PC video card that has overheated and there are lines going through the screen. Last time, I had to pull the battery, though this time I was able to hit power and home and get the phone back to normal. Has anyone seen this kind of issue?

My power button isn't working correctly, so I'm considering sending it in for warranty repair, but I don't want to get it back and have the screen go a month later or something...

Edit: if you do a GIS for "overheated video card image" you can see screenshots that look similar to my problem. I'm just concerned that Samsung will be like "Well, it isn't happening now, so whatever, dude."

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 3, 2012

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So I wasted a half hour driving around to Sprint stores today to return my Airrave. Tried a normal store, who sent me to a repair center, who wouldn't take it. Had to call corporate, which will send me a UPS box to mail it in. Completely ridiculous and left me pretty annoyed at everyone dodging it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

So I wasted a half hour driving around to Sprint stores today to return my Airrave. Tried a normal store, who sent me to a repair center, who wouldn't take it. Had to call corporate, which will send me a UPS box to mail it in. Completely ridiculous and left me pretty annoyed at everyone dodging it.

Sorry dude, I always tell people first thing they need to ship it back.

iPhone 16GB blacks are starting to roll in. Whites are still lagging behind, but a good sign.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

For the second time in the past month or so, my E4G Touch screen has frozen up in a weird video card freaking out kind of way. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's like a PC video card that has overheated and there are lines going through the screen. Last time, I had to pull the battery, though this time I was able to hit power and home and get the phone back to normal. Has anyone seen this kind of issue?

My power button isn't working correctly, so I'm considering sending it in for warranty repair, but I don't want to get it back and have the screen go a month later or something...

Edit: if you do a GIS for "overheated video card image" you can see screenshots that look similar to my problem. I'm just concerned that Samsung will be like "Well, it isn't happening now, so whatever, dude."

Nope. You aren't alone in that. I get the same thing now and then on the lock screen.. It clears with a double tap on power button though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Imaginos posted:

Nope. You aren't alone in that. I get the same thing now and then on the lock screen.. It clears with a double tap on power button though.
Oh, ok - so it probably isn't the display going. It must be related to our wonderful update. That makes me feel a little better then.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

sirbeefalot posted:

To clarify this some. The phone is already activated on that line when it is shipped. just don't turn it on and call to ask them to flip flop the two phones.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
MY GIRLFRIENDS rumor touch is finally starting to die, and she wants to upgrade. I tried to talk her into taking my EVO 3D when I get the Note 2 but she said she didnt want my phone :-( so what would be a good smart phone for her? She hasnt had a smart phone before and isn't sold on virtual only keyboards, but are there any phones with a good physical keyboard?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

MY GIRLFRIENDS rumor touch is finally starting to die, and she wants to upgrade. I tried to talk her into taking my EVO 3D when I get the Note 2 but she said she didnt want my phone :-( so what would be a good smart phone for her? She hasnt had a smart phone before and isn't sold on virtual only keyboards, but are there any phones with a good physical keyboard?

No, she should buy an iphone 5 and be done with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fyallm posted:

If she's never used a smartphone before, get her an iPhone 5.

My mother could use my iPod Touch when I had it and she's never used a computer before. Ever.

All you really need to know is how to read and follow directions and you're pretty much set for most things. The EVO 3D is nice but not really the best for someone new to smartphones.

If she doesn't like it due to the keyboard, you can sell it for pretty much full price and get another phone for her for retail value.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Can I sign up for an individual EPRP account now, and then convert to the share and add a line later?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Yeah I thought about the iphone5 but she likes to throw phones around, she had her original Razor forever, and she loved it becuase she would smash it on the ground and other things... Also she hates apple, and I don't know if I could talk her into getting one.

Do the otterbox cases make the iphone not so fragile if she drops it once it will be done for?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Good lord trying to download an app from the App Store over 3G is an exercise in frustration. Safari, podcasts, hell even Pandora all work fine (with decent enough speeds) from my desk at work. But heaven forbid I try and download a 21 meg app. :|

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

fyallm posted:

Yeah I thought about the iphone5 but she likes to throw phones around, she had her original Razor forever, and she loved it becuase she would smash it on the ground and other things... Also she hates apple, and I don't know if I could talk her into getting one.

Do the otterbox cases make the iphone not so fragile if she drops it once it will be done for?

iPhone 5 while you can scratch it, it is not fragile like the 4S (check the iPhone 5 vs. SG3 drop test). That said if she loves phones she can smash to the ground she doesn't need a smartphone at all. You can drop all most any smart phone and if it hits at a certain angle the screen can crack.

Also since she doesn't have loyalty to a brand (like Samsung) or an OS (like Android) the reason for the Apple hate is just because. I had to grow up and learn that hating a company or product just because (products I had no real experience with) was just immature on my part.

Edit: Drop test video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1PobOh_A-8

That said otterbox while ugly (I would never own one), but does protect the phone pretty good. I just got AppleCare+ and a very slim case (just to protect from scratches).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 5, 2012

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
So yeah, as my luck would have it, I just messed up my GS3. It fell out of my pocket and hit the ground. No scratches, cracks, or anything, the screen just doesn't turn on all the way and when it does it is very dark. I don't have TEP so I'm pretty sure I'm screwed in that sense. Now, with that being said, I still have my upgrade on my SERO plan. What's the best route for me to go?

Also, the phone is rooted with CM10 so how can I back it up?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

Also, the phone is rooted with CM10 so how can I back it up?
If the screen still semi-works you can boot into (CWM) recovery by powering off the device, then holding vol-down and the home button, while pressing power to turn it back on.

Once in CWM select "backup and restore", "backup". On mine that's vol-down four times, power, power again, hopefully it's the same on your CWM.

If your screen is totally hosed but you left "USB Debugging" enabled, you can backup the device with a recent version of adb. I've never tried this apporach, but it's worth a shot. Looks like the relevant command is:
code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all
which will make a "backup.ab" file in the current directory on your PC and potentially be quite large.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If the screen still semi-works you can boot into (CWM) recovery by powering off the device, then holding vol-down and the home button, while pressing power to turn it back on.

Once in CWM select "backup and restore", "backup". On mine that's vol-down four times, power, power again, hopefully it's the same on your CWM.

If your screen is totally hosed but you left "USB Debugging" enabled, you can backup the device with a recent version of adb. I've never tried this apporach, but it's worth a shot. Looks like the relevant command is:
code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all
which will make a "backup.ab" file in the current directory on your PC and potentially be quite large.

Screen is jacked, probably have to go this route. :(

Soooo, anyone wanna sell my a comparable phone on the cheap? lol...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

Soooo, anyone wanna sell my a comparable phone on the cheap? lol...
Call Samsung and see if they'll quote you a screen and digitizer replacement cost. It's probably $200 or so, but that's cheaper than a comparable device.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Call Samsung and see if they'll quote you a screen and digitizer replacement cost. It's probably $200 or so, but that's cheaper than a comparable device.

I actually have my upgrade still since I bought this off of craigslist. I might look for a Nexus S on craigslist for the time being. Will Sprint fix something like this or send me elsewhere?

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
I've never had an LG product before but the stats on the Optimus G look pretty attractive - it should be out this month - any reason to be apprehensive?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ouija posted:

I've never had an LG product before but the stats on the Optimus G look pretty attractive - it should be out this month - any reason to be apprehensive?

There is a rumor that the next Nexus will be based on the Optimus G and Sprint will most likely pick that up due to official Google Wallet and Google Voice.

I'd see if that happens or not.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is a rumor that the next Nexus will be based on the Optimus G and Sprint will most likely pick that up due to official Google Wallet and Google Voice.

I'd see if that happens or not.

Scuttlebutt says sealed battery. Let that influence you as it will.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

pill for your ills posted:

Scuttlebutt says sealed battery. Let that influence you as it will.

If Google really is basing the supposed LG Nexus off of the Nexus 7, I wouldn't be surprised they decided to make the battery non-removable to make less parts for consumers to remove.

With the Galaxy Nexus, the antenna for the NFC is in the battery. If you replace it with one without it, there's no NFC connectivity. I'm guessing Google wants Nexus to be more consumer friendly. How will consumers know this and know which battery has what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

If Google really is basing the supposed LG Nexus off of the Nexus 7, I wouldn't be surprised they decided to make the battery non-removable to make less parts for consumers to remove.

With the Galaxy Nexus, the antenna for the NFC is in the battery. If you replace it with one without it, there's no NFC connectivity. I'm guessing Google wants Nexus to be more consumer friendly. How will consumers know this and know which battery has what?

Nexus 7 has a user replaceable battery. Kind of...

The rear cover of the Nexus 7 comes off with a pry tool, and the battery has a connector that allows for replacement.