Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
After missing out on the Emerald Night, I'll be investing in the TVG Horizons Express for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

How many bags is step 4 of the Haunted House supposed to have. I have six bags and cannot for the life of me find the 1x1 pieces with the rounded studs sticking out the side in the first step.

Edit: Nevermind. They were in a small bag inside the biggest bag.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 1, 2012

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Quote=/=edit

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2012

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I know I'm like two years late to the party, but I just put Tower Bridge together. 585 cheese slopes. :negative: I don't remember my hands ever hurting this much after Lego, even after weekend-long childhood binges.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Buy 1 Get 1 40% off at Toys R Us this week, and if you spend $60 you get a "vintage minifig" collection of 5, apparently there's a different one every week this month.

It appears to work online but not on the modulars or other crazy big stuff.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I was a little bitter about having to buy Weathertop to finish my Fellowship, but it actually makes for a really nice little desk display for the whole cast. I'm pretty happy with it! You can see the characters in the back better when looking down on it, but it's hard to fit the whole thing in a phone-photo.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
For my birthday I was bought a bunch of the Monster Lego sets.

The train had so many fiddly bits, but was fun as hell.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I caved and bought the B-Wing today, I'll comment on it once I start building.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How's the train? My GF loves the Monster Fighters, and we have swamp thing, mummy, warewolf, and the dracula car (renamed 'Hellbilly Deluxe' by us).

However, the zombies and the train seem kind of eh, since we care more about the monsters themselves and not the monster fighters. We may just go straight to the amazing haunted house.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What is the going rate of bulk mini figures? I have a guy offering to sell me 125 figures from star wars, city, atlantis and a ton of other sets. What should I offer him for it?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

If I'm looking for BULK regular lego bricks(no snot, no minifigs, nothing special) for like building a coffee table or something big like that, what is my best avenue?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Rythe posted:

What is the going rate of bulk mini figures? I have a guy offering to sell me 125 figures from star wars, city, atlantis and a ton of other sets. What should I offer him for it?

Minifigures go for a lot, 125 would be like 200-300 on ebay. So anything around 100 and you're getting a huge deal.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

RodShaft posted:

If I'm looking for BULK regular lego bricks(no snot, no minifigs, nothing special) for like building a coffee table or something big like that, what is my best avenue?

Ebay, shopgoodwill.com, even the pick-a-brick section on Lego.com would be good places to look, though bricklink.com will probably have lower prices for generic bricks.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

RodShaft posted:

For building something gigantic like that, go to a Lego store and talk to an employee (better yet, the manager). You should be able to buy PAB wall shipping boxes for like $75. I'm not sure how many 2x4s come in one of those, though.
Another option are the 650 piece bulk boxes, which cost like $30-35.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Designer video for the Horizon Express:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=661790430101 (sorry about the facebook link)

It looks amazing.

Plus new pieces! Inverted tiles (with studs rather than recesses) and angel plates with studs (on the vertical edge)!

e: Is there methylamine on this train or something?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 2, 2012

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inverted tiles are amazing, and totally one of those "Why didn't they do that sooner?" things.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

When you say "inverted tiles" you mean the studless pieces that give you a flat surface, except for with studs so you can do flat surfaces on the bottom of normal pieces, right?

Angle plates with studs on the vertical edge is interesting too. Yet another SNOT brick I suppose.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Torael_7 posted:

When you say "inverted tiles" you mean the studless pieces that give you a flat surface, except for with studs so you can do flat surfaces on the bottom of normal pieces, right?

I do. Totally smooth models :allears:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

For building something gigantic like that, go to a Lego store and talk to an employee (better yet, the manager). You should be able to buy PAB wall shipping boxes for like $75. I'm not sure how many 2x4s come in one of those, though.
Another option are the 650 piece bulk boxes, which cost like $30-35.

I think it's 650 2X4's to a PaB box.

It's double points month at the Lego Store, and I went and picked up a UCS B-wing. You get one of those chrome TC-14 droid figures with purchase right now. Hopefully I'll have some pictures of the build up soon. It's pretty impressive in person.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Shuppiluliumas posted:

It's double points month at the Lego Store, and I went and picked up a UCS B-wing. You get one of those chrome TC-14 droid figures with purchase right now. Hopefully I'll have some pictures of the build up soon. It's pretty impressive in person.

Well poo poo, I forgot about the B-Wing.

I need to find a job, restricted discretionary income sucks. :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Any other big scale model sets like the VW bus?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

No other automobiles at the moment (aside from Technic), but there is the Sopwith Camel:

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 4, 2012

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

jeeves posted:

How's the train? My GF loves the Monster Fighters, and we have swamp thing, mummy, warewolf, and the dracula car (renamed 'Hellbilly Deluxe' by us).

However, the zombies and the train seem kind of eh, since we care more about the monsters themselves and not the monster fighters. We may just go straight to the amazing haunted house.

I wasn't sure on it either but to be honest, it was the most fun to build.

I just put the house on layby, excited about building that one.

Also my Lego room/desk is getting kind of full, my girlfriend and I were watching American Pickers and she said she thinks I have a Lego problem and I've got to slow down.

It made me laugh.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I wasn't sure on it either but to be honest, it was the most fun to build.

I just put the house on layby, excited about building that one.

Also my Lego room/desk is getting kind of full, my girlfriend and I were watching American Pickers and she said she thinks I have a Lego problem and I've got to slow down.

It made me laugh.

Show your girlfriend Collection Intervention on SyFy

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I bought a couple extra Alien Motherships with the intent to motorize the Ghost Train when I buy it and run it on the rails. I have an old 9v battery pack, and motor. but no wire(I do however have a 9v to powerfunctions adapter wire). The wheels on the motor do not fit the new train tracks. And I've read that the Ghost train wheels do not fit on lego tracks properly either. Can anyone confirm or deny that the ghost train can't run on lego railroad tracks without quite a bit of modding?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

RodShaft posted:

I bought a couple extra Alien Motherships with the intent to motorize the Ghost Train when I buy it and run it on the rails. I have an old 9v battery pack, and motor. but no wire(I do however have a 9v to powerfunctions adapter wire). The wheels on the motor do not fit the new train tracks. And I've read that the Ghost train wheels do not fit on lego tracks properly either. Can anyone confirm or deny that the ghost train can't run on lego railroad tracks without quite a bit of modding?

The alien mothership is narrow gauge, 4 studs wide, where normal lego track is 6 studs wide at the rails. None of the cars on the ghost train use actual train wheels, and the engine wheels need to articulate to clear turns. So, yeah, there is a fair amount of modding involved.

I've seen a couple threads on Eurobricks about it. I'm not sure how you would go about retaining the movement of the wings and whatnot without the technic pulley wheels, though.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

I started building the B-Wing this week, I'm doing it one book at a time. I like it so far. The lower tail is quite a bit longer than I assumed it would be. There is one thing that feels off to me, but I have never had a UCS before. The modular construction somehow makes it feel less "Ultimate" to me. I'llpost picks if I beat Shuppiluliumas to it.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="408190528"]
I started building the B-Wing this week, I'm doing it one book at a time. I like it so far. The lower tail is quite a bit longer than I assumed it would be. There is one thing that feels off to me, but I have never had a UCS before. The modular construction somehow makes it feel less "Ultimate" to me. I'llpost picks if I beat Shuppiluliumas to it.

What do you mean by "modular construction", exactly? Because if you mean what I think you mean I'm not sure I'd agree, as the Imperial Shuttle was built the same way (main hull, each wing, all separate) and it felt "ultimate" as hell.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

No other automobiles at the moment (aside from Technic), but there is the Sopwith Camel:

Do those control cables actually work, or are they just for show?

Sair fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 4, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sair posted:

Oh they work all right. It's such a great set.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As somebody who isn't really into Technic or in-depth vehicle builds at all, every so often something like that Sopwith Camel comes along that makes me just :drat:

Even when it's not your thing you really have to appreciate a set like that.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Sair posted:

Not only do they work, but the control surfaces are all operated by the stick in the cockpit. Even building it I was dubious it would work, but it really does.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Torael_7 posted:

What do you mean by "modular construction", exactly? Because if you mean what I think you mean I'm not sure I'd agree, as the Imperial Shuttle was built the same way (main hull, each wing, all separate) and it felt "ultimate" as hell.

Same thing. I guess I expected something more complex.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Just a reminder to UK goons that The Sun is running the lego promotion starting tomorrow. Tomorrow I shall be purchasing the Uruk Hai in mass quantities, so if anyone needs one and is happy to pay postage, let me know.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

LordEvilElmo posted:

Just a reminder to UK goons that The Sun is running the lego promotion starting tomorrow. Tomorrow I shall be purchasing the Uruk Hai in mass quantities, so if anyone needs one and is happy to pay postage, let me know.

I am always down for some UK Lego goodies. Let me know what this will run for postage to the states and I will paypal you some money.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
Anyone participating at Brickcon?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

youareoffthehook posted:

Not participating, but definitely coming up on Sunday to see it.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

youareoffthehook posted:

I went last year, and am so gutted I can't make it this year. Made some awesome friends too, it was an amazing weekend!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Got the monster hunters hearse from Myer for 20% off. Does anyone know how pricing in Japan compares, particularly for larger sets? Going there on holidays in a few weeks and wondering if I should leave room to bring a haunted house back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pictures of new Arkham Asylum set have just emerged.