Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
All of this talk of Jones not understanding emotions and just mimicking them leads me to believe that she's not any kind of elemental or golem, but rather, she's just a high functioning autist. She sinks in water because she wears a heavy comfort vest to make her feel like she's being hugged all the time to self-stim and she punches through walls without hesitation because she just doesn't realize it's supposed to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think most autistic people still age though.

I just caught up with the comic on Tuesday, and even though I just read all of it in a few days I still have the problem of re-reading it as I click links on here. Personally I think the stone elemental thing seems to fit fairly well, but I feel like it might be something else because that feels like it's too easy of a guess.

She could still be an autistic rock I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And the sword thing? Come on, follow through all the way.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

UberJew posted:

Let's not forget Replicant! Or reploid :haw:

"Let me tell you about my motherly actions..."

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Tom, you would make a terrible detective.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I thought I remembered somebody once coming into this thread and explaining that in a myth Coyote once "lost an eye" that went wandering off into the sky or something. That would possibly fit Jones, especially with the "stolen name" angle.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I thought I remembered somebody once coming into this thread and explaining that in a myth Coyote once "lost an eye" that went wandering off into the sky or something. That would possibly fit Jones, especially with the "stolen name" angle.
I think Tom has explicitly said that the "Wandering Eye" nickname isn't based on any particular myth.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
If I think about it, a combination of the Jeanne theory and the Golem theory kinda makes sense.

Diego was the golem builder. Perhaps he tried to create a human-like golem in Jeanne's image after her death, but in the end it had no emotions and didn't love him. Maybe the court co-opted her as a spy on the forest, earning her the Wandering Eye nickname.

I dunno, I'm just spitballin.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WeaponBoy posted:

Tom, you would make a terrible detective.

What are you talking about? He solved the mystery of how Donny and Jimmy-Jims met. That question has been on everyone's mind.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Kat's summer holiday letters to Annie mention her dad's relatives in Scotland, so yeah, he's just a Scottish guy, not some kind of weird forest mole or something.

Where does the thread get these ideas?

From forgetting important details like the ears and character backstories :doh:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Did we already know that Jones was ageless (or near to it) before this update? Cause that seems like a thing that was also solved.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really really don't think she's ageless here guys. She looks clearly younger in this last page, and her dress is making me think that she's an older student here, possibly in her last year - Head Girl?

Just because she's introducing Donny to Eglamore doesn't mean that she's a teacher.

My money's on earth elemental spirit.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Haledjian posted:

Did we already know that Jones was ageless (or near to it) before this update? Cause that seems like a thing that was also solved.

There is this: http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/242446003 Though true to form, it's not exactly specific.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I just said the following, aloud, in the appropriate accent:

"That just raises FURTHER questions!"

Can't wait until Monday.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Brannock posted:

I really really don't think she's ageless here guys. She looks clearly younger in this last page, and her dress is making me think that she's an older student here, possibly in her last year - Head Girl?

Just because she's introducing Donny to Eglamore doesn't mean that she's a teacher.

She's way taller than Donny and Eglamore on that page, even though we know that Jones is really short-- so she must be a good deal older than them here. But in the present day pages, she looks younger than Eglamore and the rest of that generation of characters.

Also, her face has been drawn the same in all these flashback scenes, it's just her hair and clothes that are different.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rincewind posted:

Kat's summer holiday letters to Annie mention her dad's relatives in Scotland, so yeah, he's just a Scottish guy, not some kind of weird forest mole or something.

Where does the thread get these ideas?

I kind of assumed Donny was from the Court, in the same way Kat is, since it appears to be in Scotland. But I guess if it's made up of people from all over the place there probably wouldn't be a local "court accent"

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Also, Scotland could have forest moles.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
I really have no concrete idea as to who/what Jones is, but I'm leaning toward the earth elemental theory. I'm not sure how that explains the apparent non-aging, though. The Jimmy Jones relationship certainly has gotten stranger now.

Also Donny was such an adorable kid I can't stand it!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dodgeball posted:

I just said the following, aloud, in the appropriate accent:

"That just raises FURTHER questions!"

Can't wait until Monday.

Here, allow me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GwT_Qlj0Y

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I kind of assumed Donny was from the Court, in the same way Kat is, since it appears to be in Scotland. But I guess if it's made up of people from all over the place there probably wouldn't be a local "court accent"

I thought the Court was on the outskirts of Birmingham?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ursine Asylum posted:

Jo Jones and Jimmy Jims. :allears:

And on this page: Jo Jones, Jimmy Jims, and Donny Donlan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they were anything like my friends, it would not surprise me at all if Jimmy Jims got coined as revenge for Donny Dons.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Brannock posted:

I kind of had a mix of this. I don't figure she's ageless, but it seems she ages incredibly slowly. Even still, I was thinking she was a prefect or older 'student' rather than a teacher though I can't really explain why I'm going with that assumption right now.
I'm guessing elemental or a kind of troll-type thing anyway. Tom's said she mightn't be based on a myth, but could still be inspired by one and trolls did turn to stone, and some could appear as near human if I recall.
This is a daft theory I'm grasping at straws. :negative:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh. My. Gosh! You guys!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Let's see, She doesn't age, is possibly a robot, made of human beliefs, has a thing for Jimmy Jims.

GUYS I'VE CRACKED THE CASE!

Jones is a Love Machine.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
But does she work on anybody but Jim?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
But don't Love Machines need a prominent solar plate? Like this:

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Tom I was kidding when I said the whole chapter is just Jones going back in time. WHY IS IT ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Is next page going to be Jones going all :stare: at a baby?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Parsley posted:

I kind of had a mix of this. I don't figure she's ageless, but it seems she ages incredibly slowly. Even still, I was thinking she was a prefect or older 'student' rather than a teacher though I can't really explain why I'm going with that assumption right now.

I'm guessing elemental or a kind of troll-type thing anyway. Tom's said she mightn't be based on a myth, but could still be inspired by one and trolls did turn to stone, and some could appear as near human if I recall.

This is a daft theory I'm grasping at straws. :negative:

I like that theory. It makes more sense than my "human without a soul" one.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=369

Tries to annoy people to see what they do.

You know who else does that?

Trolls.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

jfjnpxmy posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=369

Tries to annoy people to see what they do.

You know who else does that?

Trolls.

You may be onto something there. (Also, she's one to talk.)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I for one am quite content to see all the mysteries have been solved

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

Daius posted:

I thought the Court was on the outskirts of Birmingham?

It's pretty big - it could be both.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I finally got caught up after archive binging on and off for literally years. It took awhile because Gunnerkrigg Court isn't the kind of webcomic I usually go for, but what eventually grew on me was the great tone, awesome characters, and straight-up charm of the story's imaginative world. It's pretty bitchin'.

And you guys are thinking too small. Jones is a whole mix of fantastical creatures- troll, robot, ghost, elemental, and alien. All of them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jones is a Jones.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tollymain posted:

Jones is a Jones.

How dare you imply there is more than one Jones?

Jones is Jones, simple as that.

(For serious, the whole earth elemental to Annie's fire elemental thing actually strikes me as likely, and cool.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Pester posted:

You may be onto something there. (Also, she's one to talk.)

I just realized Eggie's desperate retreat in the next page might not just be comic relief undressing a female student, but also him remembering Surma. Creepy :stare:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

I just realized Eggie's desperate retreat in the next page might not just be comic relief undressing a female student, but also him remembering Surma. Creepy :stare:

Alternatively, realizing that he was showing shades of his old affection for Surma in front of his "maybe-sorta" girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

thespaceinvader posted:

How dare you imply there is more than one Jones?

Jones is Jones, simple as that.

"The wonderful thing about Joneses is I'm the only one."