Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Drop Adam, replace him with Patrick Warburton. Bam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I think TGUS is really starting to find its stride, I was laughing my rear end off for most of the last two episodes. I'm even warming up to Adam as the representation of American automotive stupidity, although he's still the weakest part of it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kenshin posted:

I'm not sure I've ever laughed at any Top Gear episode so hard as watching that loving Mustang fly.

And hit the bouncy castle.

I'm gonna say that while the original will always be best, in terms of loudest laugh I'd say that for me the mustang flying was second only to the first time Clarkson crashed the Robin. And even that was pretty close.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Data Graham posted:

God, yeah. I want a freeze-frame of him standing there with his mouth gaping open. He looked like a drat cartoon character.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Geared Hub posted:

It's a Towncar they took out, panther chassis, body on frame RWD. I'm sure the continental would fair just as well, there's nothing really to hang up underneath in terms of drive train if you slap a basic skid plate across the front of late model continental...

This guy does it with a lot less drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

Also, one of my friends putting my former DD through some similar abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC5OpQrYEM&t=49s

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

davebo posted:

I'm gonna say that while the original will always be best, in terms of loudest laugh I'd say that for me the mustang flying was second only to the first time Clarkson crashed the Robin. And even that was pretty close.

I loving loved the Robin crash too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

davebo posted:

One of my favourite moments was the Clarkson "mobile home/tower". When they showed May's goose-laugh reaction to the swaying, I was in tears.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretty much whenever they show any of the guys helplessly laughing, it's impossible not to join them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Good news, everyone!

Top Gear renewed for three years!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wolrah posted:

Also, one of my friends putting my former DD through some similar abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC5OpQrYEM&t=49s

I saw that in person too. It ruled, and the crowd loved that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:haw:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Pretty much whenever they show any of the guys helplessly laughing, it's impossible not to join them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11kAHLhXzAQ&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_442150

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off

Having just watched the TGUS finale I thought it was pretty good. Absolutely cracked up seeing those cars bouncing along on some of those trails. However, even as much as its improved from the start of the series, after watching that youtube it's amazing how far TGUS still has to go to ever reach TGUK. Clarkson, May and Hammond just have such an amazing chemistry together that's impossible to match.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Sad news for Christmas.

Jeremy Clarkson posted:

I know February isn’t Christmas. But it is our Christmas special. And it will be shown in February. Don’t ask me why.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Imp Boy posted:

I think TGUS is really starting to find its stride, I was laughing my rear end off for most of the last two episodes. I'm even warming up to Adam as the representation of American automotive stupidity, although he's still the weakest part of it.

the only thing that I find restricting is how it's edited now for commercials. they toss in a preview of what's coming up later then do a recap of what has happened. beyond that, this season has been fantastic

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

TGUS could do without the post-commercial recap, but lowest common denominator and all that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's really the thing, though. TGUK is written for a fairly smart, literate audience. TGUS appears to be written for idiots.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Data Graham posted:

That's really the thing, though. TGUK is written for a fairly smart, literate audience. TGUS appears to be written for idiots.
I think it's more economics. Reality TV shows are fairly cheap to produce, but filling airtime with miniature clip-shows are even cheaper still. If BBC had commercial breaks, you'd probably see similar in the UK, too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sad news for Christmas.
drat. :(

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
They better be more than one season of TGUK next year. :colbert:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Foehammer007 posted:

They don't have seasons, only series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Foehammer007 posted:

They just signed up for three more years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Surely they've been able to just keep filming poo poo during their hiatus.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cojawfee posted:

Surely they've been able to just keep filming poo poo during their hiatus.

I would imagine they'd film stuff like the solo car reviews, at least.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Has anyone else watched The Car Show with Adam Carolla? I... feel like it's better than Top Gear US. The challenges are really fun and as douchey-silly as Adam is his cohosts are also really fun and have fairly good chemistry.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched the first episode and it had too many segments and was way too rushed. They had what could have been a cool segment on lemons racing but it was pretty much "We drove for an hour and the car broke, oh well. Next segment.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Carolla said that SPEED kept pushing for that. It sounded like Adam and the producers did not get along at all, mainly because they did not seem to understand how to make a good television show. It's that cable news mindset of faster, briefer, less meaning! Now that it's cancelled it doesn't matter, but its potential did make me wish once again that Top Gear US had been able to keep him.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Mister Kingdom posted:

They just signed up for three more years.

I know, but that does not stop from the BBC only pushing for one series a year like this year (I know Olympics but they love saving money don't they?)

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Foehammer007 posted:

I know, but that does not stop from the BBC only pushing for one series a year like this year (I know Olympics but they love saving money don't they?)

Isn't Top Gear their show with the biggest budget because it makes the most money, so wouldn't they loose money then?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

vote_no posted:

Carolla said that SPEED kept pushing for that. It sounded like Adam and the producers did not get along at all, mainly because they did not seem to understand how to make a good television show. It's that cable news mindset of faster, briefer, less meaning! Now that it's cancelled it doesn't matter, but its potential did make me wish once again that Top Gear US had been able to keep him.
TGUS picked the wrong Adam :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I maintain that there could have been one hell of a TGUS with Alton Brown, Patrick Warburton, and William Shatner.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Data Graham posted:

I maintain that there could have been one hell of a TGUS with Alton Brown, Patrick Warburton, and William Shatner.

This, I would watch.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I just watched James May in Space, it was brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJahZkYAmW8

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Top Gear UK is totally played out. I loved the show through series about 12 or 15. However, the trio seems completely lifeless and bored with what they are doing now, hollow caricatures...of themselves. "Oh god I have to hammer this 3 billion pound hand made jalopy around our track. How dreary." The show desperately need some new life breathed into it. Absolutely fantastic - until it wasn't.

I can't even bear to watch Top Gear US. A complete abomination to intelligence and another notch in the belt of American Culture.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Top Gear UK is totally played out. I loved the show through series about 12 or 15. However, the trio seems completely lifeless and bored with what they are doing now, hollow caricatures...of themselves. "Oh god I have to hammer this 3 billion pound hand made jalopy around our track. How dreary." The show desperately need some new life breathed into it. Absolutely fantastic - until it wasn't.

I can't even bear to watch Top Gear US. A complete abomination to intelligence and another notch in the belt of American Culture.

There were definitely some weak series in the 12-16 range, but in my opinion, the newest ones have gotten good again. Not quite series 10 good, but worth watching.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's going to be a Hammond only TG special at the end of the month.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/james-bond-007-skyfall-exclusive-clip-2012-10-12

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cojawfee posted:

There's going to be a Hammond only TG special at the end of the month.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/james-bond-007-skyfall-exclusive-clip-2012-10-12

Why this MORE than makes up for delaying the Xmas special by two months! :suicide:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing it was a segment and they realized they needed more time for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unfortunately the specials without Clarkson are usually pretty awful. Remember that "post-apocalyptic" one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd like to see a special that's just James working on old cars. Maybe a special episode of Wheeler Dealer where James tells crackin' boy to piss off and him and Ed just work on cars.