Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Horror does get 3D too but that's works for it because it's mainly about the spectacle anyways. Most people see horror films like amusement park rides so 3D seems natural. With Dredd...not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Alex Garland has said that since they started trying to get the money together for Dredd right after Avatar, they pretty much had to make it in 3D or they wouldn't have been able to get it made.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is the first movie I've ever gotten actually angry over. Not the film itself, but the fact that it's bombed so hard. I have never felt this way before, and it's kind of scary and weird, and I don't like it. I loved the movie, and the fact that it's made less than half it's budget back makes me so mad at people for not going to see it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

marktheando posted:

Alex Garland has said that since they started trying to get the money together for Dredd right after Avatar, they pretty much had to make it in 3D or they wouldn't have been able to get it made.

God, gently caress James Cameron so hard.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

marktheando posted:

I was mad enough already about the box office returns before I learned this :mad:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even without 3D, I think the movie probably would have flopped. If you watch the trailers they really made no effort to make the audience care about Judge Dredd. They seem to have been made with the assumption that Judge Dredd is a well known character that audiences would be excited to see when in reality to most people it would just look like a scifi movie where the main character is wearing a really silly costume. The trailers made no effort to try and establish the world the movie takes place in and what Judges even are. It spends far more time just going over how it's a movie where the villain is a drug manufacturer, which doesn't make the movie stand out at all.

All the marketing assumed that people knew and cared about Judge Dredd and that really just isn't the case and when you strip that out of the marketing your just left with a kind of silly looking movie. The 3D didn't help, but I don't think it's entirely to blame.

Really even in the best case scenario, this probably wasn't going to be a hit.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, while Dredd is an awesome movie and is pretty much guaranteed to be a cult hit on DVD and whatnot, it was probably doomed from the start as far as its theatrical release goes.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Dree-D

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Why isn't the title of this thread just "THREDD"?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Martin Van Buren posted:

Why isn't the title of this thread just "THREDD"?

THR3DD

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not to Bum everyone out, but here's what we would have ended up seeing if it wasn't such a bomb.

quote:

IGN: But you were to be given a bigger budget, what aspect of the Dredd universe would you like to bring to life?

Garland: Outside Mega City One there's this huge desert called The Radiated Desert and I'd like the second story to go out there as a sort of voyage of discovery of the world. It would loosely be based on a John Wagner story called Origins, which is about Dredd going into how he came to be and how the city came to be. And how the two things are connected to each other. Then in the third one, If there was a third one, I'd think about these characters called The Dark Judges, who are these malevolent supernatural forces. Who are kind of a perversion of the judge system, holding a kind of dark mirror up to it. But it's so speculative to talk in these terms, but those are the lines on which I'm thinking of this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/20/alex-garland-dredd-3d-interview

Sounds like Urban and Garland really want to make more of them. I'd love to see it happen but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

axleblaze posted:

The trailers made no effort to try and establish the world the movie takes place in and what Judges even are

quote:

800 million people living in the ruin of the old world
only one thing fighting for order in the chaos
judges

That was enough for me.

To say Judge Dredd is not well known is kinda dumb

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CheechLizard posted:

That was enough for me.

To say Judge Dredd is not well known is kinda dumb

But he isn't...at least not well known enough to get people to see a movie on alone. I mean, I live in the US and the last time I've ever heard anyone mention Judge Dredd was when the last movie came out. He's just not a real big pop culture figure around here.

I mean the quote you posted makes Judges seem like every action hero ever, so I don't know why that's supposed to pull me in.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Sounds like Urban and Garland really want to make more of them. I'd love to see it happen but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

You know, I have a feeling this movie's gonna pull a Fight Club.

Fight Club, for all it's known as a 2000s (well, late 90s, but it defined 2000s culture more) pop culture cornerstone, loving bombed at the box office. It didn't become well known until it hit VHS and DVD, where it turned a surprisingly big profit. I'm getting the impression that Dredd is gonna be the same way, and if it is, Urban and Garland (and presumably Thirlby and everyone else involved) are probably gonna get tapped for sequels.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WickedIcon posted:

Fight Club, for all it's known as a 2000s (well, late 90s, but it defined 2000s culture more) pop culture cornerstone, loving bombed at the box office. It didn't become well known until it hit VHS and DVD, where it turned a surprisingly big profit. I'm getting the impression that Dredd is gonna be the same way, and if it is, Urban and Garland (and presumably Thirlby and everyone else involved) are probably gonna get tapped for sequels.

Looks like all my friends are getting the same Christmas present, then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

I always assumed Fight Club was big in the box office. I still remember seeing it in a loving packed theater. I also remember not wanting to see it because of the name. I'm glad my buddies dragged me to see that one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My coworkers are stereotypical geeks (comic books, pen and paper RPGs, etc) and none them know anything about Judge Dredd outside of the Stallone movie. These are people that will lap up any and all DC/Marvel movies, but the reaction to this trailer was mostly "They're making another one?! Why? I YAM DUH LAWH!!" Based on my anecdotal information, Dredd is virtually unknown in the US.

I'd agree that the trailer totally misfired for this demographic, at least.

The only reason I know about 2000AD is because I grew up in Sweden, and I would read the monthly Magnum magazine at a friends house (Magnum licensed various action/sci-fi comics like 2000AD, Aliens, Terminator, Akira, etc). That's probably also why I associate "adult" comics as being B/W; every kid in Sweden had a subscription to the very colorful Bamse and Donald Duck.

For some reason I also feel like this movie will be a cult DVD hit. Are there any recent examples of movies that tanked at the box office but made a ton on rentals/VOD/DVD/Blu-Ray?

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
The only upside to this movie bombing at box office (if I can call it an upside), is it will be rushed to DVD/Blu-ray faster than it might otherwise have been. It's a lot easier to bring a movie over to someone's house and talk them into watching it than it is to drag them out to a 3D screening, and I've made it my mission to make sure all my friends see this flick.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

I always assumed Fight Club was big in the box office. I still remember seeing it in a loving packed theater. I also remember not wanting to see it because of the name. I'm glad my buddies dragged me to see that one.

It was made on a budget of 60 million and only made back 30 million. Total.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Could good DVD sales save this movie's chance for a sequel, or is that just a lost cause at this point?

david_a posted:

My coworkers are stereotypical geeks (comic books, pen and paper RPGs, etc) and none them know anything about Judge Dredd outside of the Stallone movie.

This is my experience as well. Hell, I'm 29 and have been reading comics most of my life and I barely have any familiarity with the character. He's just not a thing in the U.S.

The trailer really should have been made with this in mind.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WickedIcon posted:

It was made on a budget of 60 million and only made back 30 million. Total.

Ummm no, it made another 70 million overseas so it definitely made money from its theatrical run.

david_a posted:

My coworkers are stereotypical geeks (comic books, pen and paper RPGs, etc) and none them know anything about Judge Dredd outside of the Stallone movie. These are people that will lap up any and all DC/Marvel movies, but the reaction to this trailer was mostly "They're making another one?! Why? I YAM DUH LAWH!!" Based on my anecdotal information, Dredd is virtually unknown in the US.

I'd agree that the trailer totally misfired for this demographic, at least.

The only reason I know about 2000AD is because I grew up in Sweden, and I would read the monthly Magnum magazine at a friends house (Magnum licensed various action/sci-fi comics like 2000AD, Aliens, Terminator, Akira, etc). That's probably also why I associate "adult" comics as being B/W; every kid in Sweden had a subscription to the very colorful Bamse and Donald Duck.

For some reason I also feel like this movie will be a cult DVD hit. Are there any recent examples of movies that tanked at the box office but made a ton on rentals/VOD/DVD/Blu-Ray?

I find this strange as despite my only experience of Judge Dredd being the Stallone movie I have always been aware its a comic book first. I dunno if being in Australia makes a difference but its not like its a well known comic here either.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How is Dredd doing internationally?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
According to Box Office Mojo, the numbers are pretty bad considering how accomplished the film is. Although as everyone has said, it's not surprising because the property is virtually unknown in the US, even amongst comic book readers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Dredd on Red Letter Media

Positive review, would have been interesting to hear them address why it's bombing in theaters, though.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Riflen posted:

According to Box Office Mojo, the numbers are pretty bad considering how accomplished the film is. Although as everyone has said, it's not surprising because the property is virtually unknown in the US, even amongst comic book readers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

It might jump a bit after this weekend. Word of mouth might help it a bit.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Finally got around to seeing this movie. There's a whole lot of everything I liked about it, definitely enjoyed the soundtrack and I didn't even mind the gratuitous Slo-Mo usage, unlike some of my co-workers.

Something that I didn't understand during Anderson and Kay's interactions, what was the thing that Kay thought of that freaked out Anderson? She didn't flinch too hard about the 'him raping her' one, and she'd previously seen a psychic flashback of him skinning a dude, so what was it? Maybe I just blinked and missed the crucial frame of it, but it was just a white blur for a split second on the screen and then she pistol-whips him.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Zweihander01 posted:

Finally got around to seeing this movie. There's a whole lot of everything I liked about it, definitely enjoyed the soundtrack and I didn't even mind the gratuitous Slo-Mo usage, unlike some of my co-workers.

Something that I didn't understand during Anderson and Kay's interactions, what was the thing that Kay thought of that freaked out Anderson? She didn't flinch too hard about the 'him raping her' one, and she'd previously seen a psychic flashback of him skinning a dude, so what was it? Maybe I just blinked and missed the crucial frame of it, but it was just a white blur for a split second on the screen and then she pistol-whips him.

It doesn't matter. It's a "fill in the blank" moment. Literally.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I would of seen this already but its only showing in 3d around here. And as a person with glasses, I avoid 3d movies like the plague. Eagerly awaiting the DVD however, as Karl Urban is a NZ Folk hero at this point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So does Judge Dredd have an arch nemesis? The closest one I can think of is Judge Death judging by the video games I have played. One had him as the final boss, the other actually had him in the title. But you really don't hear about any kind of rogues gallery for Dredd, I'm guessing because Dredd just kills them

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

blackguy32 posted:

So does Judge Dredd have an arch nemesis? The closest one I can think of is Judge Death judging by the video games I have played. One had him as the final boss, the other actually had him in the title. But you really don't hear about any kind of rogues gallery for Dredd, I'm guessing because Dredd just kills them

His biggest nemesis is democracy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

It's true, most of his enemies get killed or locked up pretty fast unlike say Batman or Spider-Man's revolving door heroics. If you getthe totally rad iOS Dredd game though you can unlock a perp list of everyone in the game that's arrestable. Great game because it's literally a Fighting Fantasy choose your own adventure game but in Mega City 1 instead of a castle full of goblins.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bobkatt013 posted:

His biggest nemesis is democracy.

Which he kills with democracy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dredd's recurring nemeses are Judge Death and the other three Dark Judges (undead, transdimensional superfiends), Mean Machine Angel (comic-relief cyborg psychopathic headbutter), Orlok (East-Meg assassin) and PJ Maybe (started 20+ years ago as a 12-year-old serial killer, became mayor of Mega-City One and found true love with a murderous face-swapping sexbot). In the comics, Death was last seen nuking Las Vegas and being sent to Hell but is apparently coming back soon, Mean was de-angrified and hasn't been seen for a while, Orlok was executed by Dredd and the Dark Judges are trapped in jars on PJ's mantlepiece.

Pretty much everyone else, Dredd has killed. He doesn't gently caress about.

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
Since I have no real knowledge of the character outside of this, the '95 movie and a few bits and pieces gleaned from other sources, I picked up Case Files 02 and 03 based on the recommendations in this thread. I'm almost done with 02, and really liked "The Cursed Earth" and "The Day the Law Died" for the most part, even though like someone else said, the stuff with space travel and aliens doesn't do much for me. After those though, there's a little 5 or 6 page short story called "Punks Rule!" that's such a spot on match for the tone of this movie that its uncanny.

Basically, there's a sector that's been taken over by a gang called the Cosmic Punks, so Dredd volunteers to go in solo to clean things up and "teach them a lesson." He does this by driving a giant garbage truck into the neighborhood, killing a few gangsters that fight back, beating the poo poo out of their leader and handcuffing all the survivors in the back of his truck. He then drives the poor bastards into the Cursed Earth, ignoring their pleas for mercy and abandoning them to what was probably a horrific death just to make an example for anyone else thinking of trying the same thing. Its a really abrupt shift from the gruff-but-decent action hero Dredd in the earlier stories straight into some monstrous rear end in a top hat territory that I could easily imagine Urban's Dredd pulling off.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nutsngum posted:

It might jump a bit after this weekend. Word of mouth might help it a bit.

I doubt that. It was a pain in the rear end to find a decent show time, and the theater I saw it in was empty.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Payndz posted:

Dredd's recurring nemeses are Judge Death and the other three Dark Judges (undead, transdimensional superfiends), Mean Machine Angel (comic-relief cyborg psychopathic headbutter), Orlok (East-Meg assassin) and PJ Maybe (started 20+ years ago as a 12-year-old serial killer, became mayor of Mega-City One and found true love with a murderous face-swapping sexbot). In the comics, Death was last seen nuking Las Vegas and being sent to Hell but is apparently coming back soon, Mean was de-angrified and hasn't been seen for a while, Orlok was executed by Dredd and the Dark Judges are trapped in jars on PJ's mantlepiece.

Pretty much everyone else, Dredd has killed. He doesn't gently caress about.

Kinda reminds me of the Punisher and how he really doesn't have a rogues gallery.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zzulu posted:

How is Dredd doing internationally?

I saw it at a fairly packed theatre in Auckland and it's getting a lot of press and rave reviews here because of the inherent iterest in seeing one of our own in the lead role of a big overseas production. It won't do huge numbers due to age restrictions (R18 so anyone under 18 can't see it, legally) but it will probably do fairly respectable ones.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Red posted:

I doubt that. It was a pain in the rear end to find a decent show time, and the theater I saw it in was empty.

Yeah, its was dropped BAD last weekend (from 2500+ to 800+ theatres) and at this rate it'll be on DVD/Blu-Ray by Christmas. I hope it finds a cult following because it's a really great little action movie with great setpieces, some of the old ultraviolence and a really effective soundtrack. Above all else I loved the Mega City One look they went with. It looks post-apocalyptic and bleak but just realistic enough (in terms of scenery and layout) that you believe it.

I admit I'm not familiar with Judge Dredd at all (in North America it's really only something comic book fanatics know about and it's not an easy find at all) and understand the Stallone version was not a good adaptation. The lack of success here combined with everyone's faint memory of the Stallone film probably hurt Dredd bad. Again, it's a shame because it's really a fun movie everyone here should check out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dredd came in 5th in the NZ box office. Since it's the school holidays, Madagascar 3 and Hotel Transylvania took the top 2 spots and considering it's restricted to people aged 18 and above, it's done a respectable number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vagabundo posted:

Dredd came in 5th in the NZ box office. Since it's the school holidays, Madagascar 3 and Hotel Transylvania took the top 2 spots and considering it's restricted to people aged 18 and above, it's done a respectable number.

I hear what you are saying but it's three weekends in and Dredd still hasn't grossed half its budget worldwide which means Hollywood (who just look at those numbers and nothing more) is likely fast-tracking the home video release.

• Locked thread