Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sports
Sep 1, 2012

this is my freshman year at college, big difference in my case: it's at a good college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
holy lol that you're doing quantum and particle physics. fuckin why?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
well i guess that explains why ian is the 'ideas guy' behind the project rather than someone with any skills, talent, drive, experience, ideas or ability.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
ian did you look at the cat thread yet

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
real talk grad level quantum mechanics is some bullshit

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

flyboi posted:

ian did you look at the cat thread yet

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
http://www.bl2wiki.com/Loader so... the huge glasses are to stop the vulnerability right. :)

I am not a big fan of weapons.

I do believe.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Ian McLean posted:

The intro class is Python. I just wanted some formal programming training for best practices.

lol why in the gently caress are you taking machine learning without taking intro to ai? and i love how you're taking poo poo like machine learning and high performance arch and ignoring basic poo poo like "databases" and "algorithms" and other things that you really need as a base......gently caress it why am i even bothering.

rock on ian

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Okay! I will look at the cat thread!

And clearly this other dude isn't using his quantum operators productively.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
there is literally not a practical class in that list except intro to programming

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hey ian

you're gay lol

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

btw sorry for serious posting but i work in irvine and there's a depressingly real possibility of me working with this idiot one day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i guess it will be cool to say you're a compsci major physics minor for like ten seconds until you get to the part in your job applications that asks you to list relevant skills glwt

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Ian McLean posted:

Okay! I will look at the cat thread!

And clearly this other dude isn't using his quantum operators productively.

lol. loving translation operator yourself the gently caress out of here

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

theflyingexecutive posted:

i guess it will be cool to say you're a compsci major physics minor for like ten seconds until you get to the part in your job applications that asks you to list relevant skills glwt

No its the other way around.

Really don't get the machine learning without algos or any kind of programmin class. Real talk, have you spoken to an advisor/someone in the dept?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

He emailed a guy at google

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just gonna pick a bunch of random modules that I think will make me 1) Look cool and 2) be like, smart I dunno afterwards brb

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cjs: boy, I sure could have used those particle physics classes back in college. This pivot table and accompanying chart are a killer!

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ian do you have any cute classmates

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Click that classmates link for us and post some screenies tia

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

as much as I don't mind memory too much, OSX has been real poo poo handling it for me. kernel_task, dashboard client, mds / mdworker, windowserver, dock, and other services end up taking nearly half the active memory on my MBP (4GB). Then if I use only one or two other poo poo apps with bad memory handling (chrome, FF, whatever), I'm soon close to swapping.

It's getting pretty annoying to have it swap for a while because I have two browsers running and I now want to open a PDF.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

best practices.

have you been granted an honorary mba yet

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Proteus4994 posted:

btw sorry for serious posting but i work in irvine and there's a depressingly real possibility of me working with this idiot one day

i think it's more likely that he'll forget to breathe some day

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Ian McLean posted:

Government pays for it.

my tax dollars at work, so gently caress you ian

wish they'd send more robutts to mars or build a working fusion reactor but nope we're sending one more idiot to collage, gj gov't

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Proteus4994 posted:

lol why in the gently caress are you taking machine learning without taking intro to ai? and i love how you're taking poo poo like machine learning and high performance arch and ignoring basic poo poo like "databases" and "algorithms" and other things that you really need as a base......gently caress it why am i even bothering.

rock on ian

I have taken algorithms and intro to db before. Machine learning seems like it is pretty much a select niche of algorithms, so taking it on its own is fine I think.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:unsmith:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

maniacdevnull posted:

my tax dollars at work, so gently caress you ian

wish they'd send more robutts to mars or build a working fusion reactor but nope we're sending one more idiot to collage, gj gov't

Seriously dude. You are a habitual flavor waster. Not to mention that I think a large scale fusion reactor is primitive.

Whatever that large scale device is, it should be able to be produced on a micro scale as capacitors so it can be used to power any object at an affordable price. It also has to be safe.

Micro Fusion Reactors!

This guy is an interesting fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i29oXQHh-U4

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
27 hours to go on my kickstarter!

If anyone just feels like being extra generous today that would be super awesome. :)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

i hope you werent posting this is an example of a worse kickstarter because this is the best ive ever seen

those 'mallows look delish

even the t-shirt is cute and looks good

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

I have taken algorithms and intro to db before. Machine learning seems like it is pretty much a select niche of algorithms, so taking it on its own is fine I think.

when you float through grad school (because that's easy to do if you just want to get through and not actually do or learn anything) and graduate and can't get a job because you can't do basic cs 101 poo poo like describe how quick sort works or write a queue from scratch the schadenfreude will be glorious

also you literally don't know what machine learning is at all it's not "here's some algorithms time to go make an ai now!" but whatever

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

like, maybe it's different at ucla but nobody took machine learning unless they were specializing in ai because it's literally that useless in a practical sense

e: actually i take that back we got a kinda cute machine learning professor right before i graduated so there were people who took the class for that

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 6, 2012

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

Ian McLean posted:

Seriously dude. You are a habitual flavor waster. Not to mention that I think a large scale fusion reactor is primitive.

Whatever that large scale device is, it should be able to be produced on a micro scale as capacitors so it can be used to power any object at an affordable price. It also has to be safe.

Micro Fusion Reactors!

lmao holy poo poo you are the losethos of idea guys

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

Proteus4994 posted:

like, maybe it's different at ucla but nobody took machine learning unless they were specializing in ai because it's literally that useless in a practical sense

e: actually i take that back we got a kinda cute machine learning professor right before i graduated so there were people who took the class for that

it's an introductory course so you learn about high-d range queries, k-nn, k means, statistical computing and a bunch of other things that show up a lot of places.

of course there's a catch-22 in that, if you know what these problems are and why there's interesting, you don't need an intro course. it's like, even when ian makes a good decision it's entirely on accident.

ian's what we call a leader/risk taker.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

consider your flavor... wasted

bitch

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ian McLean posted:

Micro Fusion Reactors!

this is junk pseudoscience

quote:

1 Teaspoon of Heavy Water has the energy content of 300 Gallons of Gasoline. You could go 55 million miles on a gallon. There is enough deuterium fusion fuel in the top 1 foot of seawater in the San Francisco Bay to supply all of mankind's projected energy needs for the next 50-100 years... And you wonder why the Federal Reserve Corporation has been suppressing it... Since their petro-dollars and their power is backed by Oil.

ron paul gonna set our cars free

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

hey ian, I know a philosopher you may want to look into, might broaden your perspective on the world a little bit

his name's david icke

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ian, it's not too late for you to just give up at everything and be homeless in san diego. the weather is beautiful out there.

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

ian you should kill yourself because at least then you'll be contributing in some positive way to the world of statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
holy poo poo everything the marshmallow lady makes looks loving fantastic

http://createdforjoy.com/2012/07/24/butterscotch-banana-sundaes/

i want her to be my mom

• Locked thread