Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Awesome, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Sweet As Sin posted:

Hi! I checked the subforum and the wiki linked for icecream recipes (besides google, but I'm a little lost), but found very little. Does anyone have a favorite one or tips? I'd have to make it manually, I don't own any fancy machinery, sadly.

I wanted to make (green) grape icecream, but every recipe I found lists grape juice as an ingredient, and the only kind of juice I can get is crappy dark.

Thanks in advance!

If you have a large number of green grapes, cook them down with some water (maybe some sugar to taste) until they burst. You can run them through a blender first or chop them. Mush them up really well and press through a strainer to remove the skins etc. Hopefully the resulting strong flavored syrup will get grape flavor into your ice cream.
OR
Just make a sorbet and get all that grape flavor without the deadening from the milk fats.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I was hoping that someone had bookmarked a chicken soup matzoh balls recipe that came from here. I remember it being a big effort post with pictures and whatnot, and was fairly cheap. Might've been during a theme month, like everyone makes soup, or an ICSA. Any good, cheap-ish on ingredients chicken noodle soup would be good, though.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I think I'll stick to apple or tangerine if I can find any. I'll try grape someday.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
you can also buy green grape juice, but it's usually called verjus and stored near vinegars; it's super sour.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

NiVRaM88 posted:

All true, but I think it's worth mentioning the positives for health as well. Olive oil is much healthier for you than other cooking oils (vegetable, canola, etc). It has the good fats that the body needs...

According to what's published about oils and health here in Sweden rapseed oil (which I understand is the same as canola oil) is just as healthy as olive oil. And to add to that, cold pressed rapeseed oil is also a very nice finishing oil. It has a ver nice flavour, with a nice strong walnut character.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sperging about which oil is "healthiest" is superdumb. The quantity you actually consume is so small, and the "healthy" oils just break down under heat negating their "healthiness", or have horrible shelf life, or are used in the wrong context (olive oil in chinese food makes me lol). Use the appropriate oil for the task.

Edit: vvvv sure, but that's still using the appropriate oil for the task.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 5, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
That is a pretty solid point, but I still want to advocate using good cold pressed rapeseed oil instead of olive oil, simply because it's really damned tasy. Use it in a Vinaigrette and you'll see.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I made some pretty amazing bite-sized fried wontons last night and they blew my mind. I'd never realized it would be that easy.

I really missed the American Chinese sweet-and-sour dipping sauce, though -- is there a decent basic recipe that keeps well in the fridge?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What is everyones favorite thing to cook involving tomatillos? I have a bunch and my girlfriend keeps bugging me to use them. Was thinking of some sort of salsa? Really up for anything, just looking for something good!

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Pester posted:

I was hoping that someone had bookmarked a chicken soup matzoh balls recipe that came from here. I remember it being a big effort post with pictures and whatnot, and was fairly cheap. Might've been during a theme month, like everyone makes soup, or an ICSA. Any good, cheap-ish on ingredients chicken noodle soup would be good, though.

There's this (requires archives): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2508383

The pics are gone though.

Wotan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 5, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

I made some pretty amazing bite-sized fried wontons last night and they blew my mind. I'd never realized it would be that easy.

I really missed the American Chinese sweet-and-sour dipping sauce, though -- is there a decent basic recipe that keeps well in the fridge?

I just use store-bought Hoisin sauce when I make pot stickers.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Jmcrofts posted:

I just use store-bought Hoisin sauce when I make pot stickers.

They're not pot stickers (or dumplings), they're fried wontons. Hard, crunchy shell. For me, hoisin sauce is for dumplings and sweet and sour sauce is for wontons.

Edit: Also, I can't buy hoisin sauce here and it ends up being pretty expensive to make thanks to the honey and peanut butter.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 5, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I just figured it would work well for either application :shobon:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have this recipe for enchiladas which begins with throwing three boneless chicken breasts into boiling water for 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I had stupidly turned the fridge from 6 to 9 a few days ago, thinking it was broken. It wasn't, and I forgot to turn it back down, so the chicken was somewhat frozen. It came out as a brick, and took about a minute under hot water before they came apart. I put them in the boiling water for the usual 20 minutes, and the center is not entirely cooked. I've cut them all in half, put them back in, I figure for another 10 minutes, that should be okay, right? I don't want to overcook but ... eh, I guess I'll have to if I need to, the price of stupidity.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't make much of a difference. They're boiled boneless chicken breasts, even at their best they're going to be pretty terrible.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What is everyones favorite thing to cook involving tomatillos? I have a bunch and my girlfriend keeps bugging me to use them. Was thinking of some sort of salsa? Really up for anything, just looking for something good!

Pork chile verde!

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Wotan posted:

There's this (requires archives): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2508383

The pics are gone though.

Yup, poached chicken soup, that's the one! Thank you very much.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrAviTy84 posted:

(olive oil in chinese food makes me lol)

:stare:
You can't mention something like that then not expand, Gravity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarepanda posted:

Edit: Also, I can't buy hoisin sauce here and it ends up being pretty expensive to make thanks to the honey and peanut butter.

No hoisin? drat man. We could do an ingredient exchange care package, I have access to most Chinese stuff over here in K-land. Just found Sichuan chilies to go with my flower peppers. :kimchi:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah, it blew my mind. I don't know what the hell is up with that -- maybe I should look around the Chinese market under Ameyoko sometime.

I ended up half-assing something with ketchup, mirin, and peppers.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

pile of brown posted:

you can also buy green grape juice, but it's usually called verjus and stored near vinegars; it's super sour.

My grocery store carries "white" grape juice, which I believe is actually just Concord grape juice that's pressed without the skins, but it's a lot lighter tasting than purple grape juice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, it blew my mind. I don't know what the hell is up with that -- maybe I should look around the Chinese market under Ameyoko sometime.

It seems hard to believe you can't get it somewhere over there, but if you really can't drop me an email and we can work something out. I can get like a gallon jug of hoisin for ten bucks.

There's a big Chinatown in Yokohama I think, I'm not sure where but I heard about it. If nothing else there's probably a shop there.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Manuel Calavera posted:

:stare:
You can't mention something like that then not expand, Gravity.

In my experience, everyone has made this mistake at least once. I have to catch myself every time I'm making Asian food because of how much Italian food I make.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a big Chinatown in Yokohama I think, I'm not sure where but I heard about it. If nothing else there's probably a shop there.

Yeah, it's a huge one, but if I'm going to fork over the fare to go to Yokohama, I may as well just make my own drat sauce. :P

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, it's a huge one, but if I'm going to fork over the fare to go to Yokohama, I may as well just make my own drat sauce. :P

Oh yeah, forgot trains cost money there.

An actual question: is there a good substitute for kai lan? It's not available here. I've been using bok choy but it's not really the same, I don't know what might taste more similar though. It's been so long since I've had it I can't judge anymore.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Riverford have excellent recipes and I just saw their top-rated one was tomatillo salsa.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/mexican-salsa-verde-with-tomatillos/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It seems that lately when I've been cooking an egg over hard, it comes out tasting like plastic (the white mainly).

I'm using a non stick pan and will go between using bacon grease or Pam cooking spray. I put it in setting 2 (out of 10) on my electric stove top. I just cooked some scrambled eggs right after and they tasted fine. Any idea what's up? This last time the heat was at 4 because I had been cooking some bacon and turned it down to 2 after I put the egg in the pan, so maybe it was too hot?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

nwin posted:

It seems that lately when I've been cooking an egg over hard, it comes out tasting like plastic (the white mainly).

I'm using a non stick pan and will go between using bacon grease or Pam cooking spray. I put it in setting 2 (out of 10) on my electric stove top. I just cooked some scrambled eggs right after and they tasted fine. Any idea what's up? This last time the heat was at 4 because I had been cooking some bacon and turned it down to 2 after I put the egg in the pan, so maybe it was too hot?

Judging purely on the 1-10 scale, I would be frying my eggs at 5-6. It's possible that you're actually overcooking it at low heat maybe? Or some other food science relating to low slow heat as opposed to medium shorter heat. If it was up too high the edges of the whites would be coming out crispy and brown, almost lace-like in appearance. (My father eats his fried eggs like that, but also sunny-side up.)

Comic fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 6, 2012

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks for the advice on braising, worked really well. I ended up using lamb neck fillets as well as chops, they cooked beautifully and were pretty good value for lamb so will use them again.

New question: I have some eggs, onion and bacon which I want to use up. One of my Indian recipe books has a recipe for "Khageena" (savoury scrambled eggs) which I have some but not all of the ingredients for. I was going to add some fried bacon to it and make something like this:

1/2 sliced large onion
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
maybe some chopped finger chillies if I have any left
a little chopped ginger and garlic
3 eggs
a little dried coriander
1/4 can diced tomatoes
oil and butter as required
chopped bacon

Taking my cues from the khageena recipe I'll fry the onions and bacon then add everything except the egg and coriander, then reduce. Make scrambled eggs as usual then add the onion/bacon/tomato mix and stir.

Will this taste good?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does coconut milk really taste a lot like coconut?

I ask because I see so many recipes for Indian food which call for it, and I'm not a big fan of the taste of coconut. Therefore, I've never had coconut milk, and I'm wondering if I make a dish that calls for a can of it if it'll have a strong coconut taste, or if it's more of a soft aftertaste, which I could totally deal with.

Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In most curries it's not a very strong flavor, no. I've had a very coconutty curry once or twice but it's not common.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

HookShot posted:

Does coconut milk really taste a lot like coconut?

I ask because I see so many recipes for Indian food which call for it, and I'm not a big fan of the taste of coconut. Therefore, I've never had coconut milk, and I'm wondering if I make a dish that calls for a can of it if it'll have a strong coconut taste, or if it's more of a soft aftertaste, which I could totally deal with.

Thanks!

I made a dish with coconut milk, Indian spices and scampi a few days ago, and a friend of mine was worried about just the same ting. She told me exactly what you said; she's not a big fan of the taste of coconut, but when she actually tasted the dish the taste wasn't even noticeable.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

Thanks for the advice on braising, worked really well. I ended up using lamb neck fillets as well as chops, they cooked beautifully and were pretty good value for lamb so will use them again.

New question: I have some eggs, onion and bacon which I want to use up. One of my Indian recipe books has a recipe for "Khageena" (savoury scrambled eggs) which I have some but not all of the ingredients for. I was going to add some fried bacon to it and make something like this:

1/2 sliced large onion
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
maybe some chopped finger chillies if I have any left
a little chopped ginger and garlic
3 eggs
a little dried coriander
1/4 can diced tomatoes
oil and butter as required
chopped bacon

Taking my cues from the khageena recipe I'll fry the onions and bacon then add everything except the egg and coriander, then reduce. Make scrambled eggs as usual then add the onion/bacon/tomato mix and stir.

Will this taste good?

No one replied so I went ahead and it was really really good. Recommended.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cool, thanks guys!

Time to expand my Indian cooking horizons from the tomato-based curries!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

nwin posted:

Your eggs are old and/or lovely, or you could be cooking them way too long. You can see how eggs deteriorate over time here: http://recipehut.homestead.com/fresheggtest.html

Buy your eggs at a farmers market if you can- the ones you get in the grocery store can be nearly a month old before you buy them.

Bist
Jun 12, 2008
I've got a real quick question
I'm making some pulled pork, it's a big loin that's been trimmed and in the crockpot for 2.5 hours. Dinner got moved up by a bit and I have about 1 hour left to cook it. It looks fully cooked through but not anywhere near tender enough to pull it. It's sitting in a mixture of beer/spices in the crockpot right now. If I shift that to the oven at 500 degrees for a half hour, will that speed up the tenderizing, or just dry it out? I could leave it in the pot itself so it still has moisture with it, would that do the trick?
Or should I just leave it in the crockpot and hope for the best?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bist posted:

I've got a real quick question
I'm making some pulled pork, it's a big loin that's been trimmed and in the crockpot for 2.5 hours. Dinner got moved up by a bit and I have about 1 hour left to cook it. It looks fully cooked through but not anywhere near tender enough to pull it. It's sitting in a mixture of beer/spices in the crockpot right now. If I shift that to the oven at 500 degrees for a half hour, will that speed up the tenderizing, or just dry it out? I could leave it in the pot itself so it still has moisture with it, would that do the trick?
Or should I just leave it in the crockpot and hope for the best?

Make something else for dinner.

Cooking low and slow is the only way to get all the connective tissue to break down the way it needs to for pulled pork. You're right- throwing it in a 500 degree oven will just dry it out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you had a pressure cooker it would be done in an hour. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bist
Jun 12, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Make something else for dinner.

Cooking low and slow is the only way to get all the connective tissue to break down the way it needs to for pulled pork. You're right- throwing it in a 500 degree oven will just dry it out.

Thought that may be the case, guess I'm just gonna have to hope for the best here. Thanks for the quick reply