Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I'm so sad now that I have learned from the thread that you can list yourself any old way you want in a phone book. When I was a kid (and I'd like to blame this on the fact that I grew up in the 80s but really we were just dumb kids) my siblings and I found the name 'Obediah Wheatfish' in the phone book. We were so delighted with the name that we would call the number, ask for 'Obediah Wheatfish', scream with hysterical laughter and hang up. Poor old Obediah. We even decided that this lanky, awkward kid who ran the cash register in the pro shop of our rec/tennis center was in fact the fabled Obediah Wheatfish (the kid's name turned out to be Alex).

I still think about that name every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
I know this sounds incredibly stupid and made up but I ran track in high school with a kid named Michael Hunt. (Mike Hunt = My oval office)

I won't give the exact school name, but it was in a suburb of Philadelphia, PA.

As far as I know, he hasn't changed his name or anything, and he never insisted on going by Michael. I think he just gave up.

So mind numbing to think that his parents either didn't realize what they were doing - which seems pretty unlikely even if they were really out of touch - or that they knew what they were doing and did it anyway.

I guess the first explanation is more likely - but why wouldn't he insist on going by his middle name or something?

I didn't go to the jr. high or elementary school with Mr. Hunt, but by high school I think everyone was more puzzled than entertained. I mean... how can this happen?

When my wife and I were picking out names for our son, I spent quite a bit of time brainstorming possible ways to make fun of his name.

You can gently caress your kid's life up with the wrong name. It's kind of important!

Seeing Eye Duck
Mar 30, 2008

"I may not be able to see all the bullshit going on in here! But he can!"
Fredrick "Baer" Seemann.

Seeing Eye Duck has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Oct 4, 2012

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

I work at a call center for my university. Today I called someone named Jasmine, spelled "Jaz-Munn." Best part though? Jaz-Munn is a guy.

Edit: also I called a girl who's name is Tyler. Do these parents hate their kids? Are they Johnny Cash fans? I don't get why you'd do that to your child.

Tyler has become fairly popular with girls. Not nearly as much with boys, but I've had multiple Tylers in my classes.

Some names from parents who really needed to go outside:

Rylan Gohan-Lizardo
Anakin Alexander, also Anakin Orion
Kal-El - the father's name was Jor-El. Really.
Jacob Alexander Keirnan Obi-Wan. I don't mind this one much. He'll never use the fourth name officially, so it's up to him if he wants people to know.
Aslan Phoenix. A girl named Aslan. Siblings were Cademon, Genesis and Journey.
B'Elanna MoNay
Amidala
Baleu Beau. Pronounce this out loud, and then dread to think what middle school is going to be like.
Harley Davidson
Zion Atreyu
Kouga. Inuyasha.
Michaila-Mae T'Pol
Morticia Jade
Miracle Sulu
Amity Aerith
Cloud Angilus

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
There was a guy at my high school named Billy Bonebreak. I never met or spoke to him, so my mental image of a huge dude on a Harley remains untarnished.
An acquaintance's father was Heping Wang, and I'm friends with a John Doe (I'm not sure if it's used beyond the US, but unidentified corpses are often called John Doe).

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Got a package from Tai Wan yesterday. Not the state. It was shipped from an Amazon fulfillment seller in New Jersey. The seller's name was actually Tai [middle name] Wan.

I guess they're common Chinese names, but I still got a kick out of it.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
At my last job, we came across a man with the name Odor King. I got to meet him as well--very lovely Nigerian man that did not smell at all bad.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

All these Eowyns and Berens and Luthiens and Aragorns make me really really happy I didn't get anyone pregnant when I was 12.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Key & Peele tell the La-A story on their new episode. At the end of what felt kind of like a massively racist bit on football players' names.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Uncle Salty posted:

I'm so sad now that I have learned from the thread that you can list yourself any old way you want in a phone book. When I was a kid (and I'd like to blame this on the fact that I grew up in the 80s but really we were just dumb kids) my siblings and I found the name 'Obediah Wheatfish' in the phone book. We were so delighted with the name that we would call the number, ask for 'Obediah Wheatfish', scream with hysterical laughter and hang up. Poor old Obediah. We even decided that this lanky, awkward kid who ran the cash register in the pro shop of our rec/tennis center was in fact the fabled Obediah Wheatfish (the kid's name turned out to be Alex).

I still think about that name every now and then.

I laughed so hard at this that I'm making little hiccup noises and my cat is scared. Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod.

Mods, requesting name change to OBEDIAH WHEATFISH

mammothrept
Dec 11, 2009

Christoph posted:

There was a guy at my high school named Billy Bonebreak. I never met or spoke to him, so my mental image of a huge dude on a Harley remains untarnished.
An acquaintance's father was Heping Wang, and I'm friends with a John Doe (I'm not sure if it's used beyond the US, but unidentified corpses are often called John Doe).
Heping. Wang. Something about the sound of those two names together is hilarious to me.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
I knew a kid called Sherlock Oliver Wendell Holmes. Yes, his name was Sherlock Holmes, as was his father's, and his grandfather's.

He also had two sisters named Tammy and Tammi. He claimed they called them Tammy one and Tammi two (or the other way round... er... you get the idea), so naturally we assumed he was full of poo poo. Alas, his parents confirmed this with my mother (who was the principal of the school at the time).

Also, he was a total rear end in a top hat.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
A customer at work today was explaining his severe dyslexia, when his newborn son's name came up. Tubiyas, pronounced Tobias. I saw government ID for the poor kid.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

bringmyfishback posted:

I laughed so hard at this that I'm making little hiccup noises and my cat is scared. Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod.

Mods, requesting name change to OBEDIAH WHEATFISH
Well, I scared my cat and dog both laughing at your insane roommate/her mom stories in the other thread, so we're even. I just did a people search for Obediah Wheatfish and I can find no record of his existence. He's real,I swear (or was real).

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

Years ago when my wife was at air cadet camp she had a friend with the last name Horney.
His father was an officer at the base, and his official title was Acting Major Horney.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Uncle Salty posted:

Well, I scared my cat and dog both laughing at your insane roommate/her mom stories in the other thread, so we're even. I just did a people search for Obediah Wheatfish and I can find no record of his existence. He's real,I swear (or was real).

I don't want to live in a world where he's NOT real!

Burning Sensation posted:

He also had two sisters named Tammy and Tammi. He claimed they called them Tammy one and Tammi two

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Middle math school teacher Mr. Hanna. His first name? Hanna. Hanna Hanna. He called himself "Hanna squared" which was awesome.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Middle math school teacher Mr. Hanna. His first name? Hanna. Hanna Hanna. He called himself "Hanna squared" which was awesome.

:aaa: There was a math teacher named Hanna Hanna where I went to middle school, too!

e: lovely grammar

stimulated emission has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Oct 6, 2012

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Are you from Tampa?

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

stimulated emission has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Jan 15, 2017

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Well that's pretty rad! We probably went to school together and were best buddies and poo poo.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.
Worked at a call centre a few years ago and the dept I was on had to do any security checks if people wanted to change names, asking for photocopies of wedding licences etc, and now and again someone would change their name my deed poll, and if that happened we asked for a copy of the paperwork.
We had a few odd ones, only two spring to mind, one was, Bo Duke and the other was Mr Kingkonglongdong Kingconglongdong. Mr KK as I will call him became quite famous, I was planning to close his account because I thought his name was innapropriate, but he spoke to my boss who caved and allowed the account to continue.
Over the next year or so he became a legend in the company, he phoned in every day, often multiple times and always placed orders and paid on time etc, but he would always ask any girls who answered him to check if the account had his name spelled correctly and would ask them to read it back to him, this obviouisly either floated his boat or he thought it was the hight of humor, he still had the account when I left the job.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I was young there was a local nut who changed his name to Graham Gramophone. It may not sound too bad, but he named his son Gabriel God Galaxy Gramophone.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Jollifer D. Toitle

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bringmyfishback posted:

I don't want to live in a world where he's NOT real!

I don't get the joke? Tammi one and Tammi two?

Sleepy Sheep
Jun 12, 2009
I once met a girl whose first name was Naw'Tey.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
I have two young cousins named Zeeden and Zahli.

Also know someone who name his kid Halo Dali

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I used to drive by a house with a real estate sign in the yard from Gerard Doody. Damned if I didn't grin like a 5 year old every time I went by.

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
I used to dance with a girl named Heidi Daly. Not that bad, but it sounds weird when you say it out loud.

My high-school best friend's sister's name is Dayle Doyle.

Another friend of mine, her father is named Ronald McDonald. He was born after the restaurant got famous, too.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Jack Joass

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
A friend of mine met an Action Facemyer at Model U.N. He never lied about anything, but I didn't want to believe him.

I had no choice when, a year later when discussing odd names at a summer camp, I brought poor Action up. That's when a counselor turned to me in disbelief. Turns out she used to babysit him...along with his brothers Jet and Sharp and their cousins Dashell, Blaice, and Scout.

Every single one was a Facemyer.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I don't get the joke? Tammi one and Tammi two?

It's a reference to Parks and Recreation where the pictured dude, Ron Swanson, was married to two Tammy's (or three I forget). Also his mothers name is Tammy.

In my social psychology class a couple of years ago there was a black dude named Innocent. I never thought he was guilty.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Cardinal Sin - born Jaime Sin. was archbishop of Manila, etc.

From SS death index:

Olive Green, Grace Face, Richard Face, Forest Green, Harry Wolf, Uriah D Smellie

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
I worked with kids for a while, and most were just "Mckybrynes" and "J/K/H/Aidens", but there were a few interesting ones.

In my time, I worked with a California, a trio of adorable sisters named Liberty, Honor, and Victory and a Lucky. I loved Lucky's name because it was straight out of a 1950's suburban sitcom. He told me once that his parents named him that because "They were lucky to have me!" :3:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I once had to send some paperwork to a law firm to a certain paralegal. Her name was Jeffiner.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
While bagging groceries at work one day had a family call for their kid and unfortunately I can't remember what the kids name was but my immediate thought was what the hell did you name them that for that's terrible, but it was so bad I've blocked if from my memory. I know it wasn't just a nickname because they did the "full name you're in trouble" call.
To have an actual contribution once made up a flower arrangement for a prom or graduation for a girl named Piffany and apparently they liked to call her Piffy. Also at my 10 yr high school reunion I found that one of my classmates had a new daughter and named her Nausicaä after the Studio Ghibli film. (Don't know if it actually has the accent marks or not)
Oh and my little sister is named K.L.N. and the initials don't stand for anything.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Then it should really be KLN. Like Harry S Truman.

But more importantly, what the hell is wrong with your parents?

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Oh oh oh, I have some!

There were LOTS of pregnant girls at my high school. Letting a 17 year old name a baby sometimes yielded...interesting results. My favorite was "Cash Mo'nay". I'm being completely serious. Pronounced like "Cash Money". :suicide:

In the 6th grade, I knew a girl named Tara Dactyl. She was involved in a lot of school clubs and activities, and as such you'd hear her name over the PA often, so I wasn't just hearing things.

Once, while shopping at Gabriel Brothers, I heard a woman calling her friend "Pinata" from across the room. I don't know if this was a nickname or her real name, but it's a bit odd either way.

I also work with a woman who's great-grandchildren are named Cloudy and Stormy. She seems halfway between being exasperated by the names and fond of them.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Then it should really be KLN. Like Harry S Truman.

But more importantly, what the hell is wrong with your parents?

My dad and grandpa on his side had two middle names so they had four initials, and when he married my mom she ended up with four initials, so he felt that all of us kids should too so my older sister got the initials T.J.R.H. and I got C.A.S.H., but when my little sister was coming along they got stuck on naming her Eloise Anne 'something' <lastname> and couldn't agree on a second middle name so one day dad said, "How about K.L.N.?" and mom thought he said Kay Ellen, and asked what the third name was and so he explained it and her only response was "You tell my mother." So it was decided and so it was even though it pissed off the attending nurse who told mom she couldn't name a beautiful girl that. But they did and it fits her to a T.

As for what else is wrong with my parents that's way too long a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

dee eight posted:

I had a customer today with the last name of Longerbone.

I hope he is just smug as all hell about it.

That's my last name, and yeah it is fun :)

e: Oh yeah, you're the cat drugs guy, that was me. Good stuff by the way.

Halah has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Oct 7, 2012