Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ohvee posted:

I'm still in disbelief that something like this could be so silently released.

I'm amazed that it got released at all. If I somehow got my hands on a pile of source code for stuff technically owned by Square-Enix and EA, I'd walk very, very softly.

Whoever wrote and released this patch has massive balls.

Quatrefoil posted:

Oh god, I can't wait for the absolutely awesome city missions this makes possible.

Imagine a version of Life of the Party where every building has a fully realized interior.

Or a remake of the Von Braun that actually feels as big as the ship looks in cutscenes, where every deck is a single, continuous level.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Whoever wrote and released this patch has massive balls.
That or he didn't count on Chris Remo and his enormous, hairy mouth finding it.

Someone on the ZDoom forums posted an unfinished attempt at porting the original Marathon to ZDoom. The first nine levels are present and accounted for. Kind of interesting in relation to the recent chatter about Marathon's engine and source ports.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

ToxicFrog posted:

So far, it looks like the changes for players are fairly minor.

This is underselling it. I think - and this is a big thing, and I've not played with it much yet, so I may be wrong - this means you get:

- A full 32bit render path. Much less banding in the lighting.
- The more complicated FMs won't chug any more ( which they did, no matter how good your system )
- adjustable FOV
- In-built FM loader
- Works with Thief 1/Thief Gold as well. So: adds native mouse-wheel support.

This is a real Pro job. Better, if I'm honest - this comes with detailed documentation that I'd kill for at work. Time to break out Broken Triad again.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Prenton posted:

This is underselling it. I think - and this is a big thing, and I've not played with it much yet, so I may be wrong - this means you get:

- The more complicated FMs won't chug any more ( which they did, no matter how good your system )
- adjustable FOV
- In-built FM loader

This is a real Pro job. Better, if I'm honest - this comes with detailed documentation that I'd kill for at work. Time to break out Broken Triad again.

Yeah it means you install the game, install the patch, and you've got the best possible experience. That's really huge for the player, especially when you're trying to get new people to play the game.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Punchthrough textures are way better, for starters:

vs my old DDFix-ed Thief 2:

It's not all good though:

quote:

- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused doors to float away into infinity
BOOOOOOOOOO

Prenton fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 27, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Too bad the System Shock 2 rights are held by scumbags who don't want anyone to release the game digitally :mad:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prenton posted:

- adjustable FOV
- In-built FM loader

I think I'm just so used to running with all of the patches and suchlike by now that this doesn't make as much of an impression on me as it should. :)

But yeah, you're right. Install TDP/TG/TMA/SS2, drop patch in, and bam, you're done. As good or better than the previous state of the art and much more painless.

Those changes are still minor compared to the internal and editor upgrades, though. I stand by my statement that we won't really see the full potential of this until the modders and mappers have had their way with it for a while.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I played SS2 when I was nine.

Saw the first zombie come at me after getting scared by the explosion in the console, quietly turned off my uncle's PC, and went to bed, shaking.

(Also, I really wish that Blade Runner UT2004 map posted a while back had waypoints and poo poo. It'd make an amazing Invasion map.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

I played SS2 when I was nine.

Saw the first zombie come at me after getting scared by the explosion in the console, quietly turned off my uncle's PC, and went to bed, shaking.

:gonk::respek::cry: Sounds a lot like my first experience with SS2. Such a good game.

I think this may be my cue to check out the SS2 FM scene.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Prenton posted:

So it might be a good idea to mention that GOG's current weekend promo includes the Thief games; $4 each currently.

Unfortunately not the System Shock games, for depressing reasons already known to people here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

At this point, there really is no shame in just digging around online for ISOs of System Shocks 1 & 2, because they really are the perfect examples of why the concept of Abandonware exists. The studio that made them no longer exists, the publisher that distributed them hasn't been interested in touching them in over a decade, and anyone who'd change that is hosed as the rights for the games might as well be buried in a concreted-over vault at the bottom of the Mariana trench.

GOG and Dotemu are great, no question there, but there's places that they just can't go no matter how hard they try.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dominic White posted:

At this point, there really is no shame in just digging around online for ISOs of System Shocks 1 & 2, because they really are the perfect examples of why the concept of Abandonware exists. The studio that made them no longer exists, the publisher that distributed them hasn't been interested in touching them in over a decade, and anyone who'd change that is hosed as the rights for the games might as well be buried in a concreted-over vault at the bottom of the Mariana trench.

SS1 abandonware distribution has actually gotten pretty impressive; over the past ten years, it's gone from "floppy version" to "CD version with non-english audio removed" to "CD version with VDMSound installer" to "CD ISO with dosbox configuration" and these days is "ready to run DOSBox package with high-res, mouselook, and key rebind packages preapplied and a convenient launcher/configurator". It's pretty cool what a dedicated fanbase can do with an old game even without the source.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I had a dream last night. It was either telling me we needed an enormous, sprawling-level version of Wolfenstein 3D with mouselook so I could spray hundreds of Nazis with bullets at a go, or that Reelism needed a reel to that effect.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I had a dream last night. It was either telling me we needed an enormous, sprawling-level version of Wolfenstein 3D with mouselook so I could spray hundreds of Nazis with bullets at a go, or that Reelism needed a reel to that effect.
Wishes do come true, apparently. Have some BOBs too while you're at it.

I haven't been able to work on it lately, though.

In other news, OBLIGE (a random level generator) has been updated. This release is gameplay focused, I believe, so levels will look pretty ugly (hope you like STARTAN), but now it supports Hexen and the first two Quake games!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqa7PQoMXvI

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

The Kins posted:

Wishes do come true, apparently. Have some BOBs too while you're at it.

I haven't been able to work on it lately, though.

In other news, OBLIGE (a random level generator) has been updated. This release is gameplay focused, I believe, so levels will look pretty ugly (hope you like STARTAN), but now it supports Hexen and the first two Quake games!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqa7PQoMXvI

texture-wise this might look ugly, but goddamn does it revitalize some primal gaming urge deep inside me when I see that height variation

Oblige is beginning to look pretty cool and more varied then it did back in 08/09

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Samsara has updated with a new player class, the Marathon guy.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you consistently climb out of the pool in the first level in Thief? I jumped down there twice to escape guards, and it took me 5 minutes to get out the first time and now I can't figure out how I got out the first time.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Hold space to climb. You'll hear this "UNGH" sound when you latch on.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We're closing in on Cacowards season, but it feels like 2012 has been a fairly slow year, outside of a few gems like Doom The Way iD Did. What are your all your favourites for Doom (and derivatives) this year so far?

Masters of Chaos for Heretic is absolutely a top pick for me. More than a level pack, less than a TC. Feels almost like a semi-official expansion.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 6, 2012

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
As someone who grew up on 90s shooters, and still plays a lot of doom but doesn't really keep up with the scene, I want to thank the thread regulars. Whenever I check in, I can find pretty concise, useful info on new releases and whatever is going on. Thanks guys!

Most recently, I grabbed that new Doom 64 port, which is awesome, because I loved the game when I played it on my N64 back in whatever year that was, and have wanted to run through it again ever since. I tried the old TC, but it just wasn't the same. Sloggy controls, etc. Anyway - thanks!

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Good thread, but you forgot Unreal! FOR SHAME!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, a handy link in general is this Doomworld thread. It's just a great big link-pile to every WAD that has ever recieved a Cacoward or honorable mention from 1994 onwards, and then a huge list of all the community's non-awarded favourites too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

We're closing in on Cacowards season
Oof, just realized I'm probably not going to get Reelism And Beyond done in time. Ah well!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

0 rows returned posted:

Hold space to climb. You'll hear this "UNGH" sound when you latch on.

It's well worth playing through the training level for this game - you would know this if you played it!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jersey Mike posted:

Good thread, but you forgot Unreal! FOR SHAME!

Well, since pretty much all of Unreal is in Unreal Tournament '99, it's sort of like Unreal is included in the OP, right? :v:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rather Dashing posted:

It's well worth playing through the training level for this game - you would know this if you played it!
I did, I got to the basketball court and thought that was the end.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Stuntman posted:

I did, I got to the basketball court and thought that was the end.

That's actually a secret area in the tutorial. You don't actually have to go in there at all.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Dominic White posted:

We're closing in on Cacowards season, but it feels like 2012 has been a fairly slow year, outside of a few gems like Doom The Way iD Did. What are your all your favourites for Doom (and derivatives) this year so far?

Masters of Chaos for Heretic is absolutely a top pick for me. More than a level pack, less than a TC. Feels almost like a semi-official expansion.

Playing Masters of Chaos right now. It's kind of a pain in the rear end at times but I've greatly enjoyed some of the first episode's maps, like the forest level. I haven't played too much from 2012 but I liked A.L.T. (Russian megaWAD), Community Chest 4, Base Ganymede, and DTWID. Zones of Fear, the Czech megaWAD, was okay, but not something I'd recommend without reservation. I've only played a few singles but if you like huge, exploratory levels, Object 34: Sonar and 5till L1 Complex are great (but make sure you play the latter in PrBoom-Plus).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ohvee posted:

I'm still in disbelief that something like this could be so silently released. Also, the possibilities that it opens up for fan missions are pretty exciting.

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear about the thread's favourite fan missions for Thief 2. I mean I suppose everyone knows Broken Triad, Mission X and the like but I'm sure there's ones that have fallen through the gaps, as it were.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Okay, Cacowards-wise, my notables of this year so far, beyond Masters of Chaos are...

Hell Void - Has some balance issues (notably it's REALLY GODDAMN HARD), but it's a really atmospheric, heavily-scripted few maps with a lot of never-repeated setpieces against unique enemies. Kinda reminds me of Unloved and Ultimate Torment & Torture.

Dark7: Mission Pack - Half-baked final level aside, a good, chunky, militaristic set of maps with good detail and nice audio, and some minor tweaks to the usual formula.

The classic Doom-1 style packs going around pretty much go without saying. Still, it seems to be fairly slim pickings this year. Even the ones I really liked are fairly flawed. Hopefully this is just an anomaly, rather than the Doom modding scene finally winding down.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 7, 2012

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Dominic White posted:

The classic Doom-1 style packs going around pretty much go without saying. Still, it seems to be fairly slim pickings this year. Even the ones I really liked are fairly flawed. Hopefully this is just an anomaly, rather than the Doom modding scene finally winding down.

It looks like 2012 is more of a breather year, with tons of cool stuff slated for 2013, like Back to Saturn X and TNT2: Devilution.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kmxexii posted:

It looks like 2012 is more of a breather year, with tons of cool stuff slated for 2013, like Back to Saturn X and TNT2: Devilution.

Yeah, most likely. According to that big thread on Doomworld, 2010 had the absolute highest percentage of fan-favourites of any year with 2011 being about average, and 2012 looking to be pretty low-key.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Kins posted:

Samsara has updated with a new player class, the Marathon guy.
Yesssssssss. The Wave Motion Cannon they gave him is mashed up sprites cannibalized from the Marathon 2 pre-beta development demo that only existed at software expos (which I have on original CD :xd:)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear about the thread's favourite fan missions for Thief 2. I mean I suppose everyone knows Broken Triad, Mission X and the like but I'm sure there's ones that have fallen through the gaps, as it were.

T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age isn't a fan mission, but a complete fan expansion, and it's excellent. I think I mentioned it in here before (or perhaps that was the GOG thread?)

Circle of Stone and Shadow is also pretty good, although last I checked it was unfinished (two missions out of a planned (?6) completed)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Dominic White posted:

Okay, Cacowards-wise, my notables of this year so far, beyond Masters of Chaos are...

Hell Void - Has some balance issues (notably it's REALLY GODDAMN HARD), but it's a really atmospheric, heavily-scripted few maps with a lot of never-repeated setpieces against unique enemies. Kinds reminds me of Unloved and Ultimate Torment & Torture.

You're not kidding. I haven't played a wad this tense for a long time. I managed to 100% the first level on a single life despite my frantic quick-saving. Now, I typically abhor quick saving. While that run would have been the most satisfying excellence if I'd made it through without, I don't regret it for one second.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

Dark7: Mission Pack - Half-baked final level aside, a good, chunky, militaristic set of maps with good detail and nice audio, and some minor tweaks to the usual formula.

It's a reupload, not anything new.

I have no idea why it was reuploaded. It's no different from the version which was already on the archive before and that it replaced. Ty must have been tired that day.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

It's a reupload, not anything new.

Bah. And that just trims things down even further. Wonder if we'll see any big releases over the next two months?

Still, Hell Void is impressive on a lot of levels, and the kind of thing I really like to see coming out of the Doom modding scene. Just wish it showed a little more mercy from time to time.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Hell Void - Has some balance issues (notably it's REALLY GODDAMN HARD), but it's a really atmospheric, heavily-scripted few maps with a lot of never-repeated setpieces against unique enemies. Kinda reminds me of Unloved and Ultimate Torment & Torture.
Is 'atmospheric' the new code word for pitch black? The majority of the challenge comes from navigating extremely dark caverns without checking the automap.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Korendian Leader posted:

Is 'atmospheric' the new code word for pitch black? The majority of the challenge comes from navigating extremely dark caverns without checking the automap.

Bump your brightness up a little, then. I had no trouble seeing my way around, but I have a decent monitor. The one I had before this one was terrible for any game with a darker palette, as I literally could not see anything in some games without cranking the gamma slider way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Seconding T2X. Also Calendra's Legacy is an incredible couple missions long campaign. Then again if you know the ones you mentioned you've probably also played these. I'd take a look at http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm if you haven't, sorting by rating gives a nice list of great FMs.

Some other missions I seem to remember being good despite being fairly lowly rated/not rated on komag are Benny's Dead, Thieves Highway, Shadows In Our Blood, Unholy Vivid Innocence, Better Off Dead, Stones and Glass Houses, Crooked Town, Properly Paranoid, Breaking and entering, Plagiarism, Alchemic Allusions, Being Thief, The Summit.

Well that ended up being quite the list. Can't guarantee every mission being that great or even the one I'm thinking of, since it's been a while. Even if there's nothing new to you on that list maybe it's of use to someone.