Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
One of the springs on my cintiq stand is hosed, and now I can't lower the tablet from vertical. Does anyone have any experience with getting a stand repaired, and are there any OEM replacement products that I should look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Any Mac users care to chime in with their experiences with an Intuos 5, especially with apps like Painter, Sketchbook Designer, Zbrush and Mudbox? I tried going the iPad route for sketching on the go but even with a Jot the screen delay makes it really frustrating to get good results.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I've noticed a few people mentioning the Monoprice Tablets. Would this be a better babby's first tablet then the one of the Bamboos?

Basically I want to get back into digital drawing (used to use a mouse with Painter 2 a bit:cosair:) and want something intuitive, easy and not have to babysit a bunch of eBay auctions while I wait for the perfect used Wacom.

Basically, want something under $100 and to strike while the iron is hot and I'm inspired. :)

Matte Black
Sep 5, 2006
some guy
I got the 10x6.25 Monoprice tablet, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have an old copy of Painter Essentials 3 that came with my original tablet, and the Monoprice's pressure sensitivity works fine there. Not sure how it holds up for newer or more professional Painter setups, however.

It's tremendous for MangaStudio, and the short time I got to play with Paint Tool Sai with it went well too. It seemed like the Monoprice has some issues in Photoshop--when attempting to freehand linework, I noticed the lines had a slight bumpiness, like there was an issue with the smoothing. This is not really an issue when doing softer painterly effects in Photoshop, but still a possible concern.

On the other hand, I tried using it with a demo of Sketchbook Pro, and it didn't seem to detect any pressure sensitivity there whatsoever, which is a shame, because otherwise SBP seems like it'd be my ideal drawing software.

The Monoprices are so inexpensive that, even if they don't wind up working for you, you're not out a whole lot of money. The 10x6.25 is a great deal for $40ish, but it looks like they're currently on back order. If you're unsure, it might be worth it to get one of the smaller, cheaper models, and if that one works for you, upgrade to a larger version later.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
Last week I had the chance to play with a Monoprice tablet, I forget which model, and Art Rage. I liked it, would definitely grab one if I were shopping for a new tablet.

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

To anyone having software problems with a Monoprice, what worked for me with pressure sensitivity loss in PS was to go here to UC Logic and download the 'dual' driver and reinstall.

Turns out the 'monoprice' is just a rebrand of these UC Logic tablets, and the software is still exactly the same. I only tried this out of desperation because the version number is the same as what you get on the CD, but for some reason it worked - maybe it's actually slightly different? Woo. Do let it reboot when it asks to when you're installing.

Matte Black posted:

It seemed like the Monoprice has some issues in Photoshop--when attempting to freehand linework, I noticed the lines had a slight bumpiness, like there was an issue with the smoothing. This is not really an issue when doing softer painterly effects in Photoshop, but still a possible concern.

This is, unfortunately, true. Photoshop has no built-in stroke dampening and I'm starting to believe the Monoprice driver doesn't either, so the result is that in Photoshop it's hard to move your hand very slowly and get a straight line like you could with a physical inking brush. It will read every tiny jitter in your hand. To be fair this has always been something of an issue with inking in PS, it was with my Bamboo as well.
My only suggestion would be to ink in SAI or Mangastudio and then import it. It's not really that big a deal, and SAI is way more pleasant to ink in anyway. I mostly paint anyway rather than ink, and for that style it's a complete non-issue.

Springly fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 4, 2012

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
I ordered my first Cintiq 22HD from Amazon germany on August 8 and promptly had it replaced because it produced a very noticable (I could hear it easily from a few meters away with my desktop system's fans running close by) and annoying high frequency sound from around/behind the power-led area.
After the replacement unit did the same thing I contacted the Wacom support directly to see if they would replace it directly and faster than going through Amazon again.
The support guy told me about their awesome and fast swap-service - two weeks later, after the support guys took turns lying to me about the delivery date, I finally received my third 22HD today, only to discover it produces the same sound.
With the serial number being just a few digits away from the other two I figure there's a whole lot of other noise tablets out there, and the internet tells me that it's not an unusual problem with Wacom products at all.
Anybody else with a noisy 22HD out there?

The ones I had/have so far:
2GBC000046 - From Amazon, returned to Amazon
2GBC000012 - From Amazon, sent to Wacom Europe
2GBC000079 - From Wacom Europe

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

Internaut! posted:

Any Mac users care to chime in with their experiences with an Intuos 5, especially with apps like Painter, Sketchbook Designer, Zbrush and Mudbox? I tried going the iPad route for sketching on the go but even with a Jot the screen delay makes it really frustrating to get good results.

Intuos 5 works great on Mac. (iMac on Mountain Lion)

Painter - works great.
ZBrush - also works great (had a little trouble on Mac with Brush Size on the wheel, but fixed it)
Illustrator - works well
Photoshop - Also all fine.

Dont have the other apps though.

Personally I think the Touch part of the Intuos5 is a waste and have it disabled most of the time, but I am a mouse user anyway on my iMac, cant get used to Apple's touchy things for desktops.

Just so you are aware... the Intuos5 eats nibs like a bitch. I have a Bamboo Fun which used 1 nib in 2 years....

On Intuos5, 10 hrs of Zbrush and there is noticeable wear on the nib.

rubbe
Jul 19, 2008
I have an Volito 2, it works fine but the pressure sensitivity suck. i have to press really hard.

Are the bamboo the same?

Or should i go for the intuos.

As long i dont have to press like loving donkey.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

After a long, long time spent deciding, I was going to upgrade my Wacom Graphire4 (A6) to an Intuos4 small. When I finally went looking, it turned out the Intuos5 had been released, so after more decision-making I was thinking of getting the Intuos5 small Pen and Touch-my line of thinking being that I may as well get the most recent one, and better to have the touch features than not. I settled on the small since I'm used to the A6 Graphire, and tend to work with my wrist rather than my shoulder. I tried out a medium in a store, though not for very long, and it seemed possibly a bit too big. That might change if I were able to use it for longer, though. It would also be used in place of a mouse so for general use small seemed best. I can get it for around £160.

However, the place where I was going to get it is selling Intuos4 small for £100, and medium for £150, both clearance offers. Now I'm torn again, because that's pretty cheap for both, but it's mostly the medium that interests me-especially if I were to get a decent desktop eventually instead of a laptop, and a nice large screen, then it seems like a medium tablet could be better.

I use a tablet for digital drawing and painting, as well as general use. Anyone have any thoughts? Mostly medium vs small, whether the Intuos5 is a worthwhile improvement, what else should I consider.

Is this thread also appropriate for asking about experiences with the Inkling?

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

I like the medium better than the small... I think the large is too large for a desk that has a keyboard as well.

I didnt know this when I bought mine, but the touch feature makes it so the draw surface is non-replaceable in contrast to the Intuos4 or the non-touch models.

If you are tight on desk space, small might be better.

Here is a pic of my Intuos5 medium

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

No Beer Left posted:

Holy hell that's how big a medium is? I got a small bamboo last year and it was the size of a post card. I'm thinking about the Bamboo Create instead of an Intuos5 medium. I'm not sure how the feature list differs besides some accuracy and pressure levels which seem negligible. The Create is $200 and the Medium is $150 more than that.

I'm a little lost on which one to get. The mono price one, the bamboo create or intuos medium.

ninja edit: Wow those monoprice one's look alot better for the price. The large one is well within my price range but is obscenely big. Maybe I should get the 10 inch one for $50-ish. I can't believe the equivalent is $50 compared to $350

Here are the three that I have seen. What the hell is the difference between these first two? Just the side hotkeys?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084102&p_id=6814&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11303&cs_id=1084101&p_id=6251&seq=1&format=2#description

And then this really large one which has some extra hot keys which I kind of like. Although I bet I can rebind "Email" to "Minimize to desktop" on the smaller one. This big one might be too big.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=6815&seq=1&format=3#specification

Then there is this one with a bunch of hot keys, but is it UC drivers? Yep it is UC based. How do I find out from just the web description http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=5553&seq=1&format=4#feedback
I think I want the one with the physical hotkeys. What do you guys think?

It looks like the 6.25 x 10 has programmable keys confirmed by the UC website. Now the question is do I want the physical hot keys or not. Too many choices.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 11, 2012

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I have the one with the hotkeys and my roommate has the one without. There really isn't any difference besides lack of hotkeys. I guess it depends if you like not having the extra space and just having a simple tablet.

I've remapped the hotkeys so that they do useful functions such as going back and forth in history, zooming in and out, and switching between brush and eraser. Also, coming from a tiny 3x4 tablet before, using a giant tablet didn't feel like a big problem to me. It may even be helping me with my strokes, forcing me to use more of my arm than just my wrist. But if that's ever a problem for you, the driver should be able to allow you to adjust the work area on the tablet, anyway.

If you like the hotkeys, then might as well!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I guess it depends if you like not having the extra space and just having a simple tablet.
I think I'm leaning towards the hotkey one, so your post is a nice endorsement for the one I have my eye on. Question for you: "extra space" as in desktop space that isn't taken up by the extension of the hotkeys?

How's the pen? Should I buy a replacement one when I buy the tablet?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No Beer Left posted:

I like the medium better than the small... I think the large is too large for a desk that has a keyboard as well.

I didnt know this when I bought mine, but the touch feature makes it so the draw surface is non-replaceable in contrast to the Intuos4 or the non-touch models.

If you are tight on desk space, small might be better.

Thanks for the photo. I didn't think about replacement surfaces. My old Graphire4 has taken a lot of abuse over the years, and though it's scratched to hell it's due to the pen that I'm finally getting around to replacing it with a newer one, so damage to the tablet itself never occured to me. Why do you like the medium more than the small?

Reading back through the thread, there were a lot of comments about getting the Intuos3 instead when the Intuos4 came out, due to various issues. Is the Intuos5 an improvement over the 4, ignoring the touch features? Is it as bad at wearing down nibs?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

KoRMaK posted:

I think I'm leaning towards the hotkey one, so your post is a nice endorsement for the one I have my eye on. Question for you: "extra space" as in desktop space that isn't taken up by the extension of the hotkeys?

How's the pen? Should I buy a replacement one when I buy the tablet?

The pen can feel a little big due to it holding a AAA battery inside, but I think I'm more or less used to that by now. I haven't bought a replacement or anything, but I wouldn't know how soon I'd be running into any problems. I guess I wouldn't worry about that so soon. They are cheap, after all.

And by extra space, I mean the space to the left of the tablet work area where the hotkeys are. I guess I could've worded that better. Basically, it's a physically larger-sized tablet than the non-hotkey version.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Just bought the one with buttons. Can't wait to try it out.

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks for the photo. I didn't think about replacement surfaces. My old Graphire4 has taken a lot of abuse over the years, and though it's scratched to hell it's due to the pen that I'm finally getting around to replacing it with a newer one, so damage to the tablet itself never occured to me. Why do you like the medium more than the small?

Reading back through the thread, there were a lot of comments about getting the Intuos3 instead when the Intuos4 came out, due to various issues. Is the Intuos5 an improvement over the 4, ignoring the touch features? Is it as bad at wearing down nibs?

I replaced a Bamboo Fun medium, so I just went for the medium. The medium is almost too big. Just didnt want to buy something that I found was too small.

I found out about the replacement surface issue after I bought it :(

The surface of the Intuos5 is more natural feeling, but apparently it is same as the 4, with nib wear. I am currently using 3/Fun nibs in my 5 pen to see if the issue is the nibs rather than the surface.... but I havent had much tablet time recently.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Anyone here have issues with an Intuos3 and Windows 7? My work station has this combo and I noticed at first that I would occasionally need to unplug/plug the USB to get the stylus to work. This gradually became a 'Windows does not recognize this USB device' and now I can't get it to work at all. The light on the tablet comes on long enough for Windows to reject it and then turns back off. I've spent a couple of days googling and trying various solutions (update driver, roll back driver, try driver for different version of Windows, re-install following these steps exactly, etc.) to no avail.

I can probably put in a request for a newer model, but it seemed like some people were having the same issues with those as well. My tiny Bamboo works like a champ. :confused:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

cocoavalley posted:

Anyone here have issues with an Intuos3 and Windows 7? My work station has this combo and I noticed at first that I would occasionally need to unplug/plug the USB to get the stylus to work. This gradually became a 'Windows does not recognize this USB device' and now I can't get it to work at all. The light on the tablet comes on long enough for Windows to reject it and then turns back off. I've spent a couple of days googling and trying various solutions (update driver, roll back driver, try driver for different version of Windows, re-install following these steps exactly, etc.) to no avail.

I can probably put in a request for a newer model, but it seemed like some people were having the same issues with those as well. My tiny Bamboo works like a champ. :confused:

I've been having somewhat similar problems with my Intuos3 this past week. The light works on my tablet and Windows 7 recognizes it, but the pen tool doesn't work at all. I've had this thing for 3 years, so it might also just be making GBS threads the bed.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

KoRMaK posted:

Just bought the one with buttons. Can't wait to try it out.

All this tablet-not-working talk reminds me...

I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread yet, but as a bit of warning, if you plan on using Photoshop, you may need to install the Wacom Bamboo or Intuos driver in the event that it doesn't recognize your Monoprice tablet. I don't know why, but Adobe seems to be very comfortable with a Wacom driver installed, and with it working alongside the driver from Monoprice, it sort of tricks the program into thinking you're using a Wacom tablet, otherwise things like pen pressure will not be recognized.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No Beer Left posted:

I replaced a Bamboo Fun medium, so I just went for the medium. The medium is almost too big. Just didnt want to buy something that I found was too small.

I found out about the replacement surface issue after I bought it :(

The surface of the Intuos5 is more natural feeling, but apparently it is same as the 4, with nib wear. I am currently using 3/Fun nibs in my 5 pen to see if the issue is the nibs rather than the surface.... but I havent had much tablet time recently.

I'd probably find something to cover the surface with so the texture is less of an issue, like a screen protector. Can you change the useable area of the tablet, so that it would be smaller for things other than drawing?

I definitely want the Intuos5 small touch, but am still unsure about grabbing the Intuos4 medium while it's cheap to at least try it as well.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Friends Are Evil posted:

I've been having somewhat similar problems with my Intuos3 this past week. The light works on my tablet and Windows 7 recognizes it, but the pen tool doesn't work at all. I've had this thing for 3 years, so it might also just be making GBS threads the bed.

Yeah, I got given a spare to try that is also an Intuos3 (but a different size) and so far it is working fine, so perhaps mine was also just simply giving up the ghost. I'm still using the pen and mouse from the old one, so apparently it was the tablet itself. The fact that it seemed to be getting increasingly worse rather than just not working one day was probably a clue. I'm so used to driver updates breaking things it didn't even occur to me that the hardware could be at fault, especially since the light was still working. Also, this is the first Wacom that's ever crapped out on me.

Maledict
Jan 5, 2005

Ask me about being worldly
:aaa:

:dance:

:woop:

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
You put it on that desk? You might as well have a pile of milk crates for a workstation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice, but next time you might consider cropping out your room. :v:

That crate is huge, and the tablet doesnt look like it'd fill it up. What else is inside the crate, a whole bunch of foam?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Would a 4 x 6 Wacom Intuos just drive me crazy? Does anyone like working with the small?

Friend has one through his work used for $70... I'm wondering if I should hold off and buy a bigger one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interstitial Abs posted:

Would a 4 x 6 Wacom Intuos just drive me crazy? Does anyone like working with the small?

Friend has one through his work used for $70... I'm wondering if I should hold off and buy a bigger one.

I have a 4x6 and it's definitely too small for my liking.

I mean it does what I want it to, but unless I'm zoomed way in I generally don't like using it because the 1:1 is terrible on something that size.

Just my two cents though.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Interstitial Abs posted:

From my experience, 4x6 is fine if you are a strict-wrister. If you are a grand sweeper, larges are cool. But most people do best with the mediums. Personally, I settled down with the 6x11 Intuos3 after I found a great deal on a refurb. Bought a 6d pen, extra nibs and an Intuos4 pen stand to go with it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Interstitial Abs posted:

I prefer the smaller working areas, and it suits my personal style of working, but medium is probably best for drawing and painting especially if you have a larger screen. Can you borrow it to try it out? Or just get it and sell it on if it's too small for you?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

I prefer the smaller working areas, and it suits my personal style of working, but medium is probably best for drawing and painting especially if you have a larger screen. Can you borrow it to try it out? Or just get it and sell it on if it's too small for you?

His boss is a dick about returns (even used) but he might be able to swing it if he says it's for himself.

I will give that a shot...

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Does anyone here have an Inkling? Or has anyone used one before?

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Hi, I'm wondering what people use for a table mount if they have an Intuos? I have a 9x12 Intuos 3 (super old I know). Looking up the stats online, it's about 9lbs. I heard someone mention the Ergotron LX in this thread; would that be a good fit or would it be overkill? Also, unlike the Cintiq there are not things to screw things onto on the back (that I can discern), so how would you mount it onto the arm?

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Does anyone have experience regarding my question ^^^ ? I'm thinking about either getting an LX + the notebook arm tray http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Notebook-Arm-Mount-Tray/dp/B000ECUMTS . Would that be a viable option?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Just picked up one of those Monoprice 10.5x6 tablets, will update when I get it with my impressions.

I'm terrible at drawing anything, but I'd like to get into it, and I also love retarded computer toys so I decided to go with a tablet.

I've never owned and/or used a Wacom tablet, so you can get my unbiased (read: uninformed) review on it :)

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
After my Wacom died I ended up getting a Monoprice, I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread, but you really gotta download the Wacom drivers (just having them installed unlocks functionality in Photoshop and some other software) and the drivers from here: http://www.uc-logic.com/en/index.php?ParentMenuID=4

I have a dual monitor setup and it's the only thing that let me isolate it to my larger, 24" monitor.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Listerine posted:

One of the springs on my cintiq stand is hosed, and now I can't lower the tablet from vertical. Does anyone have any experience with getting a stand repaired, and are there any OEM replacement products that I should look into?

Don't get a stand. Seriously. Get an eragtron arm. It goes with the cintiq like PBJ. I love mine and they are completely adjustable.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
So I got my tablet, but pen pressure does not seem to work. I installed the Wacom Intuis drivers as well as the uc-logic ones shown above, anyone else have this issue? Tried photoshop and manga studio with no luck.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Don't get a stand. Seriously. Get an eragtron arm. It goes with the cintiq like PBJ. I love mine and they are completely adjustable.

I haven't looked closely at those arms, but is the clamp going to damage my table, or leave a mark of any kind?

Also what model do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halx
Jun 13, 2002

Listerine posted:

I haven't looked closely at those arms, but is the clamp going to damage my table, or leave a mark of any kind?

Also what model do you use?

I use this with an older Cintiq:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-BT861AT-Single-Monitor-Arm/dp/B00455GH58

It is exactly the same as the Ergotron LX, but the finish is all black instead of black and chrome. (compare to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00358RIRC)

The top part of the clamp is covered in that dense foam rubber padding so it won't hurt the surface. The part of the clamp that contacts the underside of the table is a metal plate which might make some marks, but only where you can't see.