Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It only now occurred to me to ask this, but... is ROM still around? Is it dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

piL posted:

I think there's a few different ways to look at it. But if I were going to do a conflict based system, here's how I'd go about it. I'm going to make it mostly PvE focused right now, but it could be adapted, just keeping it simple.

The method you're talking about does sound like it could be fun, but I'm not sure how much replayability it would have--it gives a lot of story-power to the MUD itself, but in the process takes a bunch away from the players. In my experience you get the best stories out of a game with lots of loosely interlocking sub-systems that create a bunch of emergent content, not by creating a super tight pre-written story structure. Emergence is really tough to account for in a world that's too abstract, though, since it creates too many story branches in each and every step of the adventure.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

A skill conflict based MUD could be really interesting. Traditional armed or ranged combat could just be another skill challenge based activity rather than the traditional hack and slash.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

OtspIII posted:

The method you're talking about does sound like it could be fun, but I'm not sure how much replayability it would have--it gives a lot of story-power to the MUD itself, but in the process takes a bunch away from the players. In my experience you get the best stories out of a game with lots of loosely interlocking sub-systems that create a bunch of emergent content, not by creating a super tight pre-written story structure. Emergence is really tough to account for in a world that's too abstract, though, since it creates too many story branches in each and every step of the adventure.

Yeah, that's fair. I'd just like to see somebody try it. Maybe I will someday (no I wont). The reason I thought down this path was the thought to include lots of other activities in a game, and the way to do that would be to include these short little challenges and have so many of them that now you're looking at big picture ripples. For example, if it's easier to generate a dungeon experience like the above, then maybe you can have longer term conflicts going on between different entities. A town vs fate, and maybe as an action that takes place on a once a day scale, in the middle of a conflict (Good: Town prospers, Med: Town suffers but survives, Bad: Town is starved out everyone moves), a dungeon like the above is formed. If players find it in the next couple of days, points go towards the plus for the town. If nobody can crack it, minus points for the town vs fate conflict.

Enough of all of those things stacked, and ideally you have a mutable world that changes, which was the desired train of thought that led me here. I feel like there's a certain element of emergence there, but you probably also need tons of content before it shows up, otherwise it's just paths to the random dungeons and rapid content exhaustion.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

piL posted:

Enough of all of those things stacked, and ideally you have a mutable world that changes, which was the desired train of thought that led me here. I feel like there's a certain element of emergence there, but you probably also need tons of content before it shows up, otherwise it's just paths to the random dungeons and rapid content exhaustion.

Ooh, that sounds pretty cool. Even if you'll never get around to actually making it, you should whip up a design doc for it some time just to cement the idea a bit. I do agree that combat could definitely stand to be more interesting than its current 'race to 0hp' format, too.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I could do that. Do you have any links to a well-written design doc from which I can borrow style? I've never written one that wasn't an unending rant.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

piL posted:

I could do that. Do you have any links to a well-written design doc from which I can borrow style? I've never written one that wasn't an unending rant.

Mine end up either being unending rants or wild scraps of unordered notebook paper, so I'm probably not the right person to ask. I figure the important thing is just to get stuff out on paper so you don't dwell on surface level stuff and never build on your own ideas high enough to find out what actually works and what doesn't. Being ordered, readable, and sane is something it can become on its second draft.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Just a friendly reminder that Pressure is NOT ready for players, and if you stumble in to us be prepared for a whole lot of random bugs and small, featureless world. For some reason a bunch of people have been creating characters tonight and trying to play for a while before getting frustrated and leaving.

edit: Apparently someone posted us on Bay12 with connection info and no disclaimer that we aren't ready for players. Hilarity is ensuing. And by hilarity I mean:

[prognet] Dagon says, "Ugh I can't keep up with everything that's breaking.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 5, 2012

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
128 on *comedy (#104047) // Fri Oct 5 14:33:45 2012 EDT
l o l // From: ASecretiveMan
Category | Status // Unassigned
Joke | Submitted // 0/ 0 votes

[chatzone] terra says, "@st room.hint_msg "<text" came up with That object
does not define that property."
[chatzone] terra says, "i mean @set"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try @toad me and then it should work"
[chatzone] terra says, "no. that will turn me into a toad"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "nothing wrong with that"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "???????"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "it fixes the problem you're having"
[chatzone] terra says, "and i gotta do this moo for my college course. so"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "it's a diagnostic verb"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "it'll tell you what's up and try to fix it"
[chatzone] terra says, "any better more sensible suggestions"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "i'm trying to help man"
[chatzone] terra says, "yes but @toad me will delete me from the game"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "no it won't"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "@recycle does that"
[chatzone] terra says, "i cant"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "?"
[chatzone] terra says, "i have to do it by hand"
[chatzone] terra says, "heh"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "do what"
[chatzone] terra says, "you must @toad yourself by hand"
[chatzone] terra says, "heh flaw in your logic"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "weird"
[chatzone] terra says, "muhahaha"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try @chparent me to #6"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "then do it again"
[chatzone] terra says, "what the hell"
[chatzone] terra says, "a bug"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "huh?"
[chatzone] terra says, "tell me how to get back to wizard status NOW"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "what did you do"
[chatzone] terra says, "@chparent me to #6"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "you must've typed it wrong"
[chatzone] terra says, "i pasted it in"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "weird"
[chatzone] terra rages energy building in his hand
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "hold on a sec"
[chatzone] lexis says, "shouldn't you chparent yourself back to 36 or
something"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "can you still do evals?"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try doing ;me.features = {}"
[chatzone] terra says, "says i don't understand that"
[chatzone] lexis says, "uh oh"
[chatzone] terra asks, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "hold on i think i've figured it out"
[chatzone] terra says, "i cant even do @chparent changes"
[chatzone] terra says, "or whi"
[chatzone] terra says, "who*"

> ASecretiveMan [chatzone] terra throws the energy. it flies around
Today 14:35 asecretiveman I AM NOT HAPPYYYYYYY

Terra is rammstein_slipnot, by the way. For those who don't know what happened here, ASecretiveMan tricked him into de-wizarding himself on his own moo, which has led to a hilarious sperg-out in chat.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Terra is rammstein_slipnot, by the way. For those who don't know what happened here, ASecretiveMan tricked him into de-wizarding himself on his own moo, which has led to a hilarious sperg-out in chat.

This is one of the best MUD trolls I've seen so far, on par with eating Naoki's bag of dino toys.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Having helped terra as a newbie on Legends of the Jedi, I think it's kind of lame to gently caress with a blind player like that but maybe I just don't know the whole MOO history with him. Blind players can be dicks.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

FordPRefectLL posted:

Having helped terra as a newbie on Legends of the Jedi, I think it's kind of lame to gently caress with a blind player like that but maybe I just don't know the whole MOO history with him. Blind players can be dicks.

Sorry, but what does being blind have to do with anything?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Not a whole lot, apparently.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The fact the goof actually RPed being a wizard is reason enough to gently caress with him.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How'd you get the New User text under your name?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Other people can see that? I've no idea why it's there, I figured it was some weird forum artifact or SALR doing something odd.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

tarepanda posted:

It only now occurred to me to ask this, but... is ROM still around? Is it dead?

Do you mean the codebase ROM? ROM is a DIKU offspring and there's tons of those still around, including your standard ROM.

Also ROM begat RoT and there's tons of them too.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah, the codebase. All of my favorite MUDs were ROM-based and all of my coding experience was on ROM 2.4b...4? b6? Except for a little SMAUG.

Just wondered, since everyone's talking about... other stuff.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The actual original ROM mud is long since closed down, if that's what the guy was asking.

Edit: it is not and apparently I am very late to the party.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 6, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sheep posted:

The actual original ROM mud is long since closed down, if that's what the guy was asking.

Edit: it is not and apparently I am very late to the party.

"the guy?" Come on, you know me from like, three different threads. :(

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah but I check the MUDs thread so infrequently that I don't really pay attention to usernames. It's also like 90% MUSH/MOO talk which doesn't particularly interest me as I was pretty much raised on Diku/LP derivatives.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Sheep posted:

Yeah but I check the MUDs thread so infrequently that I don't really pay attention to usernames. It's also like 90% MUSH/MOO talk which doesn't particularly interest me as I was pretty much raised on Diku/LP derivatives.

Sup DIKU buddy :respek:

I dunno what to do when i log in to a game and I don't see "ORIGINALLY CREATED BY HANS STARFAELDT, KATJA NYBOE, SEBASTIAN HAMMER, MICHAEL SEIFERT, TOM MADSEN"

Do any goons play Legend of The Jedi? Star Wars Reality is the only other codebase I ever really got into. Permadeath and a robust space flight system? Mmmmm.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Loving Life Partner posted:

Do any goons play Legend of The Jedi? Star Wars Reality is the only other codebase I ever really got into. Permadeath and a robust space flight system? Mmmmm.

I once created a character. Some Sith Lord paged me asking if I wanted to be his sex slave in the first few minutes.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Lithmeria is finally going live it seems. More combat/conflict focused than most IRE muds (NOT an IRE mud) but kinda follows the bal/eq part. Doesn't require a CS degree for curing and was fun in combat beta. It is RP-enforced, though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

I once created a character. Some Sith Lord paged me asking if I wanted to be his sex slave in the first few minutes.

You might be thinking of a different game. Sex slavery is illegal on LOTJ and mudsex is mostly frowned upon.

A few of us here play Legends of the Jedi. I'm currently playing, hailthefish is taking a break at the moment, and one of the owners of the game, Walldo, posts occasionally in this thread. I'd be happy to answer any questions for anyone who is thinking about playing there. It's got a really unique roleplay situation that's a lot of fun.

EDIT: Just looked at your post history and I think we might've talked about this once!

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2012

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

FordPRefectLL posted:

You might be thinking of a different game. Sex slavery is illegal on LOTJ and mudsex is mostly frowned upon.

A few of us here play Legends of the Jedi. I'm currently playing, hailthefish is taking a break at the moment, and one of the owners of the game, Walldo, posts occasionally in this thread. I'd be happy to answer any questions for anyone who is thinking about playing there. It's got a really unique roleplay situation that's a lot of fun.

EDIT: Just looked at your post history and I think we might've talked about this once!

No, I'm pretty sure it was LotJ. You do know that those kind of creeps do all their sexing through pages precisely because it's "not allowed", right?

Still, I didn't leave because of that guy. I stopped playing because it was a huge empty world with nothing much to do, just like most space MUDs currently about. Some of them are ridiculously huge, having enormous sprawling mazes of rooms and stupid corridors and poo poo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Part 2:

131 on *comedy (#104047) // Sat Oct 6 14:49:11 2012 EDT
blindmoo v2 // From: ASecretiveMan
Category | Status // Unassigned
Joke | Submitted // 0/ 0 votes

fagut says, "hello friend you should make me a wizard, i know much about moo
programming and could be very helpful"
Jamieisablindhost says, "ok. can i just check something."
Jamieisablindhost says, "are you asecretiveman from the game wayfar1444"
fagut says, "no"
fagut asks, "what is wayfar1444?"
Jamieisablindhost says, "it some sort of space game"
fagut says, "that sounds interesting"
Jamieisablindhost says, "there was a player on there yesterday that told me a
command that dewized me"
fagut says, "that is pretty mean of them :/"
Jamieisablindhost says, "and i said if he connected i'd have droid shoot his
brain"
Jamieisablindhost laughs.
You laugh.
fagut says, "any way i'm told you need help specifically with maps"
Jamieisablindhost says, "yeah"
fagut says, "that is easy to set up"
fagut says, "each room has an icon property and then you need to use a command
on $area to redraw the maps"
Jamieisablindhost says, "fantastic your hired"
Jamieisablindhost asks, "by chance. did sam from 8bit say about this moo?"
You are now a programmer.
You have new mail (2) from Jamieisablindhost (#361).
Type `help mail' for info on reading it.
fagut says, "i don't remember who told me but it was some one saying you
needed help is all"
@nn

1 on fagut (#373) // Sat Oct 6 11:31:23 2012 EDT
admin status // From: Jamieisablindhost
(#361)

hi fagut. i'm jamieisablindhost. i just thought i'd write a welcome message
and to say that fagut. if you are not asecretiveman from wayfar1444 i will

give you admin status when i get back (7 p.m uk time
he messed the moo up yesterday. but the server reset so it is all good

@nn

2 on fagut (#373) // Sat Oct 6 15:58:23 2012 EDT
@programmer fagut (#373) // From: Jamieisablindhost
(#361)

I just gave fagut a programmer bit.

Message sent to *New-Prog-Log (#23) and fagut (#373)

fagut says, "you need to do"
fagut says, "@chparent #fagut to $wizard"
fagut says, "and then"
fagut says, "without the #, i made a typo"
fagut says, "also eval #373.wizard = 1"
Jamieisablindhost says, "@chparent fagut to $wizard""
Jamieisablindhost says, "oops"
Jamieisablindhost says, "pasted it"
;me.wizard
=> 1
@chparent me to #49
Parent changed.
Jamieisablindhost says, "ok @chparent fagut to $wizard says "i see no wizard
here"
fagut says, "it appears to have worked"
Jamieisablindhost (#361) [ readable (player) programmer wizard ]
Child of generic wizard (#49).
Location Staff Lounge (#339).
-------------------------------- finished ---------------------------------
;#361.features = {}
=> {}
@chparent #361 to #6
Parent changed.
;#361.programmer = 0;
=> 0
;#361.wizard = 0;
=> 0

Asecretiveman again; he got wizarded on rammstein_slipnot's moo and then de-wizarded him. Also, this broke things somehow and now there are tracebacks on the login screen.

Meanwhile, on Wayfar:

======
7 Connected Players
======
Info Idle Status
Admin Hawgpadre [FU] 23h dorg hugs u
rear end in a top hat ASecretiveMan [SW] 23s
Colonist Broseidon -- 1d broseidoning around
Colonist Drin -- 46s
Colonist Gilgamesh [GG] 0s friend of the family death
Colonist Polybius [$$] 5m burger city usa
Colonist Reicere -- 6m

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Asecretiveman again; he got wizarded on rammstein_slipnot's moo and then de-wizarded him. Also, this broke things somehow and now there are tracebacks on the login screen.

That's also pretty magnificent, but what'd he do after? There's a pretty big difference between tricking someone into wizzing/de-wizzing them as a reversable prank and just loving over their work for the last few weeks/months/whatever.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rammstein_slipknot has a single room and a single mobile on his MOO. This isn't going to set him back particularly far.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it was LotJ. You do know that those kind of creeps do all their sexing through pages precisely because it's "not allowed", right?

Still, I didn't leave because of that guy. I stopped playing because it was a huge empty world with nothing much to do, just like most space MUDs currently about. Some of them are ridiculously huge, having enormous sprawling mazes of rooms and stupid corridors and poo poo.

All of the "tells" on LOTJ are logged and visible to imms, Walldo in particular has them monitored constantly. They don't do it over 'pages' on there because they'd get caught that way too. Not to mention tells are completely OOC. I really think you're talking about another game.

Also, LOTJ is hardly empty. The areas are small and focused because the layout is constantly changing due to IC events. Recently, Lorrd was bombed and the entire planet was rebuilt in less than a week to reflect that, then converted to a prison by the Empire.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FordPRefectLL posted:

All of the "tells" on LOTJ are logged and visible to imms, Walldo in particular has them monitored constantly.

ugh, I couldn't stand those kinds of MUDs.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

tarepanda posted:

ugh, I couldn't stand those kinds of MUDs.

That's all MUDs.

I mean, logging may or maybe not, but most of the upper staff will have a snoop command to see whatever you're doing, tells included, or a channel of just tells they can tune into.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

That's all MUDs.

I mean, logging may or maybe not, but most of the upper staff will have a snoop command to see whatever you're doing, tells included, or a channel of just tells they can tune into.

The ones I played, tells were not logged in the slightest, nor were they an open channel for immortals to see. Only the implementor had snoop. (I know for a fact since I had codebase access.)

What are people using to access MUDs now? I can't imagine gMUD is still around...

Thumbs Up Dude
Aug 25, 2006

That's all MUDs.

This isn't true at all.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I use MUSHclient personally. Probably the best supported MUD client out there at the moment.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tarepanda posted:

The ones I played, tells were not logged in the slightest, nor were they an open channel for immortals to see. Only the implementor had snoop. (I know for a fact since I had codebase access.)

What are people using to access MUDs now? I can't imagine gMUD is still around...

MUSHclient is the best.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Hmm @ tells thing.

I guess I've only imm'd at fast and loose DIKU derivs where most immortal staff had access to snoop and various forms of logging, dunno about other bases.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

The fact that a game needs rules like this really says a lot about the people involved.

Are any MOO codebases actively supported/updated these days? I like the LP scene due to the fact that FluffOS/DGD are still being actively updated and maintained, and also because LPC is incredibly easy for anyone with a C background to jump into.

Hmm @ tells thing.

I guess I've only imm'd at fast and loose DIKU derivs where most immortal staff had access to snoop and various forms of logging, dunno about other bases.

You can make the game do whatever you want if you have codebase access, including logging tells or piping them all to a channel on any Diku derivative.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Sheep posted:

The fact that a game needs rules like this really says a lot about the people involved.

The rule is about a decade old. In 2002ish there was an Empress played by a dude that had a Sith apprentice played by a 14 year old girl. They had some kind of weird bondage lesbian relationship and the dude playing the Empress was super controlling and pressured the girl into it and the girl felt obligated to RP it out or whatever and the staff decided to outright ban that kind of stuff. This kind of poo poo has happened on literally every single MUD I've ever played, so I am pretty sure it's endemic to the MUD community and not just one single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

What a moron.

Anyone stupid enough to enter commands they don't understand simply because a player told them to do it deserves to have their game taken away. If one of my subordinate imms did that I would fry them for being that retarded. I was responsible for probably some of the largest implementor-made disasters in the history of ROM, but even I wasn't anywhere near that braindead.

• Locked thread