Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

That happened later on in the 2nd season and even then that didn't extend to all of them.

Exia's major upgrades in the first season were:

A) Turns red and goes three times faster
B) A giant-rear end backpack armor that it rode around in.

The design sense that lead to SEED stuff having big-rear end backpacks didn't suddenly vanish after SEED. It's part of why everything feels so drat interchangable nowadays.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

00 loved backpacks too. It literally had backpacks that turned into other Gundams that is how much it loved them. 00 had some really awful designs honestly, although it had a few nice ones too. (The Flag is still great.)

Can you name a Gundam other than Gundam Seravee that had huge rear end backpacks that every non-Destiny in SEED had? The (G) Gundam had a bigger backpack than Setsuna's, Lockon's, and Hal's (his is just the fin's transformed tip).

ImpAtom posted:

Exia's major upgrades in the first season were:

Are you talking about the mobile armor? Are you counting that?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

Can you name a Gundam other than Gundam Seravee that had huge rear end backpacks that every non-Destiny in SEED had?

00 Raiser?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't it just a thing that any of the Gundam's could attach to pretty much like the G Falcom from X? Just less cool looking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Are you talking about the mobile armor? Are you counting that?

Yes? Why wouldn't you? It is a giant-rear end backpack. It isn't even like a GP-03 style giant chunk of metal with a Gundam torso sticking out, it's just a backpack.

Lostconfused posted:

Wasn't it just a thing that any of the Gundam's could attach to pretty much like the G Falcom from X? Just less cool looking.

The G Falcon was also a giant-rear end backpack! There's no meaningful difference between it and the Strike's endless parade of backpacks.

vs

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 6, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's mostly the shoulder pads, and the "backpack" is basically a fin.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I didn't mind 00's backpacks because they were actually cool.

And Seravee gets a six beam saber attack in Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen, so I can't hate on it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Okay, okay back up.

Is there a fundamental issue with the existence of backpacks here that I'm missing? Because otherwise why would a backpack be a bad thing in the first place? I don't get it.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
People think backpacks makes Gundams look too bulky and ugly. For some backpacks they're correct. Personally I don't mind backpacks when they're practical and make sense. Like the Destiny, which has 2 weapon racks for it's big heavy weaponry, or the Strike Freedom which is one of the most sensible and compact funnel storage systems of any Gundam.
Compare that to horrifically ugly and seemingly pointless poo poo like the 00-Raiser's backpack part, or the original Freedom, or

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Strike Freedom having a good backpack.
Freedom and Harute having bad backpacks.
I didn't know it was possible for somebody to be so wrong.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Huh? Freedom's backpack is 2 big cannons (which makes sense) and then a poo poo ton of stupid ugly bullshit tacked on in addition. Strike Freedom's looks great and it holds 8 funnels in as compact a fashion as feasibly possible (compare it to Hi-Nu which grows a giant tumor out of its back to hold just 6 funnels)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is why Ball Gundam is Best Gundam. It's simply the most efficient at packaging. Son of a bitch doesn't even have a torso.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Miijhal posted:

I'm sorry, did you just call something that isn't Ball Gundam the best gundam?

Because any other answer is wrong.

Wait a seccond! That's not a gundam, it doesn't even have a V shaped antenna.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Popehoist posted:

Huh? Freedom's backpack is 2 big cannons (which makes sense) and then a poo poo ton of stupid ugly bullshit tacked on in addition.

You just lost all credibility. Freedom's wings are loving badass and i'll hear none of your blasphemy.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Lostconfused posted:

Wait a seccond! That's not a gundam, it doesn't even have a V shaped antenna.

To be fair, neither did the Ez-8, but it's still a Gundam. Or the Victory Hexa for that matter. All you gotta do to be called a Gundam is be called a Gundam.

Also, fun fact: The best Gundam ever doesn't even HAVE a backpack!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

A good Gundam backpack.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

A good Gundam backpack.

:fap: I like a nice big Dendrobium myself.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 5, 2014

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
^^^To soothe your eyes, feast them upon a mobile suit that is comprised entirely out of fins, and is still the coolest MS from it's series

Spelling Mitsake posted:

A good Gundam backpack.

My brother had the toy for this Gundam and it really is a good backpack, you could fit both machine guns and the disassembled beam rifle in it, so all the Gundam had to carry was the 180mm and/or bazooka(really just "and", because who would gently caress with a Gundam dual wielding a 180mm and a bazooka?)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Over in the BSS Transformers thread we've been talking a little about how there's never been any robot that turned into an SR-71 Blackbird without leaving huge chunks of robot hanging underneath the plane. The Over Flag, I think, has fin-like enough limbs that it could actually stand a chance of working, though its actual transformed mode is basically "a bunch of robot parts in loose formation".

I don't think I've ever really seen a coherent transformation from a mobile suit, probably because the focus seems to be first on a distinct robot mode and a distant second on getting some sort of vehicle out of it somehow. The Zeta/Plus series and the Asshimar come close, but even they just fold the legs back on themselves, hang them off the back end and call it a night. Shoji Kawamori penned the GP01 and GP02A, I wonder what he could have done with a transforming Gundam if they'd let him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Or they just took a Macross Valkyrie and just stuck a Gundam head on it. It seems kinda deliberate Zeta went the opposite of seamless of transforming into a vehicle, especially the Psycho.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Tae posted:

Eh, 00 had nice designs. It's more like the CE main story universe really loving loves backpacks.

I've never seen a 00 design I've liked. For me it's the WAY a lot of modern MS are designed. There's so much needless detail and so many angles and whatnot combined with all the extra poo poo like backpacks that it makes them look like complete messes where it's hard to make poo poo out and they leave no impression on me beyond "God this is ugly".

Even the Flag that everyone loves is pretty repulsive to me because it's just more "poo poo JUTTING OUT ALL OVER THE PLACE" modern design sense that for me makes stuff completely unmemorable beyond how messy it all looks. Even Unicorn gets into this to an extent though not QUITE as bad as the AU stuff from SEED and on.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 6, 2012

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suben posted:

I've never seen a 00 design I've liked. For me it's the WAY a lot of modern MS are designed. There's so much needless detail and so many angles and whatnot combined with all the extra poo poo like backpacks that it makes them look like complete messes where it's hard to make poo poo out and they leave no impression on me beyond "God this is ugly".

Even the Flag that everyone loves is pretty repulsive to me because it's just more "poo poo JUTTING OUT ALL OVER THE PLACE" modern design sense that for me makes stuff completely unmemorable beyond how messy it all looks. Even Unicorn gets into this to an extent though not QUITE as bad as the AU stuff from SEED and on.

So, just as a point of reference, you got any favourite suit designs in the franchise?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

Transforming suits ruined everything. The Zeta's got that giant backpack, and the big back spike thing, and the useless shield just so it can transform into a kind of plane shaped thing for no reason.

Well if you're gonna get THAT picky, then we might as well discuss how impractical mobile suits in general are. Why have legs, or why do mobile suits even need shields? Just cover the whole thing in anti-beam coating and you don't have to lug around a big piece of metal anymore. Why aren't all mobile suits just Balls?

PS: Anime Wing Zero is the best Gundam. :)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Well if you're gonna get THAT picky, then we might as well discuss how impractical mobile suits in general are. Why have legs, or why do mobile suits even need shields? Just cover the whole thing in anti-beam coating and you don't have to lug around a big piece of metal anymore. Why aren't all mobile suits just Balls?

PS: Anime Wing Zero is the best Gundam. :)

quit trying to kill the thread by concentrating so much awful in a single post.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Wing is the best because it has flamethrowers and flapping wings in space.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Whizbang posted:

Wing is the best because it has flamethrowers and flapping wings in space.

With feathers.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Darth Walrus posted:

So, just as a point of reference, you got any favourite suit designs in the franchise?

The Mk. II probably for just being a classy, simple update on the classic RX-78. The Nemo (most GMs and their descendants like the Jegan really), Barzam, and Qubeley are all ones I like. I'm actually one fo the weird people that likes a lot of the Victory suits with the Gun-EZ and Shokew being some of my favorite grunt designs as well.

I think my biggest problem is that a lot of modern suit designs just look overly busy because of the amount of detail and other extraneous stuff put into them. I think a lot of it is that the designs have so many superfluous lines and jutting/"bumpy" looking parts that they look like they were designed straight from gunpla or something. It's just a personal gripe really but it prevents me from enjoying a lot of modern designs because with the pre-SEED ones even if there was a lot of stuff going on it still had a more simplistic, streamlined look that was very easy on the eye whereas a lot of modern ones just look kind of messy. At least for me anyway.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Nasgate posted:

^^^To soothe your eyes, feast them upon a mobile suit that is comprised entirely out of fins, and is still the coolest MS from it's series

...what is the arm-propeller for?

edit:

Darth Walrus posted:

For an image of an ideal newtype paradise, imagine Char ranting at Amuro about how the traumatised teen prostitute he made out with was supposed to be his mother-figure forever. :allears:
This is the best summary of the whole Lalah thing ever.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 7, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

...what is the arm-propeller for?

It's actually a shield.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually a shield.

So I'm guessing they are expecting the shield to spin fast enough to deflect shots....

I guess I like the propeller-shield from V-Gundam more, at least its a beam propeller.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
People call regular Gundam Unicorn loving boring a lot and stress how AWESOME Destroy mode is, but the regular Unicorn is one of my favorite Gundam designs of all time.

Am I alone? It just looks so loving cool, especially in these OVAs. It doesn't even need to go destroy mode to look good, it just is.

edit: of course the sinanju is also loving awesome but that's a different kind of cool

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 7, 2012

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

sandpiper posted:

People call regular Gundam Unicorn loving boring a lot and stress how AWESOME Destroy mode is, but the regular Unicorn is one of my favorite Gundam designs of all time.

Am I alone? It just looks so loving cool, especially in these OVAs. It doesn't even need to go destroy mode to look good, it just is.

edit: of course the sinanju is also loving awesome but that's a different kind of cool

I find regular Unicorn is pretty good too, but the color for the first one is a bit too plain, so I would prefer the regular Unicorn Gundam 02. Especially since they have a little more details added to Banshee in the anime.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

wfwon posted:

I find regular Unicorn is pretty good too, but the color for the first one is a bit too plain, so I would prefer the regular Unicorn Gundam 02. Especially since they have a little more details added to Banshee in the anime.

Yeah, that's where I'd differ. I think regular Unicorn is great and not too plain. It's streamlined.

For my tastes Banshee is actually a little overdesigned with the horn spikes and everything.

It's really a matter of opinion though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suben posted:

The Mk. II probably for just being a classy, simple update on the classic RX-78. The Nemo (most GMs and their descendants like the Jegan really), Barzam, and Qubeley are all ones I like. I'm actually one fo the weird people that likes a lot of the Victory suits with the Gun-EZ and Shokew being some of my favorite grunt designs as well.

I think my biggest problem is that a lot of modern suit designs just look overly busy because of the amount of detail and other extraneous stuff put into them. I think a lot of it is that the designs have so many superfluous lines and jutting/"bumpy" looking parts that they look like they were designed straight from gunpla or something. It's just a personal gripe really but it prevents me from enjoying a lot of modern designs because with the pre-SEED ones even if there was a lot of stuff going on it still had a more simplistic, streamlined look that was very easy on the eye whereas a lot of modern ones just look kind of messy. At least for me anyway.

I get a lot of what you're saying there, but I'm surprised you include the Mk. II in that list. Isn't it largely an RX-78 with extra bits stuck on, like that weird headset?

Incidentally, just started watching Victory, and I've gotta say that the Zanscare suits' 'eyes' are impressively freaky. It's just the way they open... and open... and open.

All this is irrelevant, though, because the GF13-062ND is clearly the apex of mobile suit design. :colbert:

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 7, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

wfwon posted:

So I'm guessing they are expecting the shield to spin fast enough to deflect shots....

I guess I like the propeller-shield from V-Gundam more, at least its a beam propeller.

That's exactly how it worked. There were no beam weapons aside from the Gundams at that point in time. The Flags even had vibro-knives.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

sandpiper posted:

Naw, I'm fond of the regular Gundam Unicorn. Destroy mode looks really cluttered and cheesy, frankly.

That said Kashatriya forever.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The unicorn looks like a really fancy GM to me so I like it.

• Locked thread