Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xovaan posted:

Still getting the hang of this minimalism thing. :ohdear:

That doesn't look like minimalism as much as a clean desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Well, I did say I was still getting the hang of it. :colbert:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Xovaan posted:

Well, I did say I was still getting the hang of it. :colbert:

If you want more minimalism you could put the pharmacy in the kitchen or bathroom :v:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

If you want more minimalism you could put the pharmacy in the kitchen or bathroom :v:

You don't even wanna know what the supplementation in my kitchen looks like!

I'm trying to think of a better way to store those. Unfortunately there are few options for minimalistic pill bottles out there that are capable of holding those cocktails I take every day. :smith:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xovaan posted:

You don't even wanna know what the supplementation in my kitchen looks like!

I'm trying to think of a better way to store those. Unfortunately there are few options for minimalistic pill bottles out there that are capable of holding those cocktails I take every day. :smith:

I guess you could line them up in shot glasses, maybe ones made from coloured glass to add to the illusion

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

SevenSocks posted:

Here's my computer in back along with it's main cooling unit. People keep telling me it's just going to be blowing all that hot air back at it, but it's really just blowing it out the window behind me, and acts as an impromptu heater which is kind of a necessity up here.

Hah, I have the exact same fan sitting on the floor, pointing at my computer setup. In my case, it's to cool off me and my legs because of all the waste heat my computer pumps out. Does your fan also have an issue where the blades hit the plastic shell when you swivel it to adjust the up/down angle?

Zebulun
Sep 30, 2004
erm

Xovaan posted:

Still getting the hang of this minimalism thing. :ohdear:

I appreciate the use of the banana hanger to hold your headphones.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Bleh, iPhone is usually a lot better at focus. Work battlestation:

No, the rest of my desk isnt that clean. I just brushed all the other stuff to the side :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Zebulun posted:

I appreciate the use of the banana hanger to hold your headphones.

It's probably the most useful mod I've done to date. Thanks! :hfive:

I didn't see a thread for it, but I was really hoping to get a desk proper for my size. I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam and everything seems way too small for me. At proper chair height with my Aeron, most desks are squeezing against the tops of my quads. :(

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

New desk at home:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Action Jackson! posted:

New desk at home:

What keyboard is that? I can't make out the logo

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What keyboard is that? I can't make out the logo

Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid with Cherry Blues.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Storm-QuickFire-Rapid/dp/B0068INSUM

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Action Jackson! posted:

New desk at home:

Do you have a link to that wallpaper? I like it.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off

Centripetal Horse posted:

Does your fan also have an issue where the blades hit the plastic shell when you swivel it to adjust the up/down angle?

Nope, ol' Windy's been serving me well since, geese, 2005 I think. The only problem for me is how much dust and hair it collects in the back. When did you get yours? Maybe I've had that problem and the blades are just ground down with time or some other unlikely explanation.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One day found some motivation to clean my desk among other things:

Edit: the picture was kind of terrible so I opened the curtains and took another one.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 6, 2012

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

carry on then posted:

Do you have a link to that wallpaper? I like it.

Here ya go.

http://i.imgur.com/6TrsC.png?1

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Home Office/Trophy Wall:

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Moey posted:

Speaking of monitor mounts. Does anyone have a good reccomendation for a triple monitor mount to support 3x24"?

There are a small handful on Amazon I have been looking at, not sure if I want to go with one of the $90 dollar basic looking ones, or something > $200. It is for work so I wouldn't be paying the bill.

I just used the https://www.easymountlcd.com 3 mount for my 2 U2414M Dell 24s and I am happy with it so far. It was $84 plus shipping and I got the one with the base, but they also sell the clamp on style.

I'll have some pictures up today once I finish putting my office back together.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

SevenSocks posted:

Nope, ol' Windy's been serving me well since, geese, 2005 I think. The only problem for me is how much dust and hair it collects in the back. When did you get yours? Maybe I've had that problem and the blades are just ground down with time or some other unlikely explanation.

I've had it a little less than a year. I don't know how old it actually is, it came with a friend I let move in for a while. At a certain angle in the rotation, the blades beat the poo poo out of the shell, it's very annoying.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Sarcasmatron posted:

Home Office/Trophy Wall:

The Special Mention Award goes to the headphones hook.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Pilli posted:

The Special Mention Award goes to the headphones hook.

I think it's just a lamp.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I think it's just a lamp.

It's a two buck duck.

Stein Rockon
Feb 5, 2005

SATAN SANTA TRADE YOUR SOUL FOR MY ORANGES

I use the silver computer under the desk for a footstool. The black one on the white trolley (?) is the desktop.

Edit: I see many are listing stuff, so
Speakers are a Creative Inspire T6100 5.1 set.
From the right, the monitors are two identical BenQ 27" (M2700HD) and a Samsung 20" (T200) connected to the Eee 1000H running Ubuntu. It's placed on a cheap lovely IKEA TV stand ("Observatör") that I modified slightly. Tomorrow, when the mailman drops off the cable adapter, the 20" will be connected to the desktop instead.
I've also got a 17" or so LCD available that I currently don't have room for. Perhaps I could find a DIY way to mount it on the wall over the central screen?
There's a PS3 hidden behind the leftmost screen, and a 4-disk netgear NAS behind the rightmost screen. I recently reinstalled my computer into a new case with larger fans, so now the NAS is the noisiest thing in here. It was moved out of the room right after this picture was posted.
WRT54GS on the shelf provides WiFi. It's on top of a WD 500gb MyBook, with a lovely gigabit switch next to it.
The chair is a bloody rock. It's made from aluminum, loving heavy and you just cannot tip it over. It's made by these guys (norwegian site, sorry)

Stein Rockon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 8, 2012

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I really like the look and feel of the metal plumbing pipe desks with a butcherblock top on them, but I'm poor. The pipes won't be hard or crazy expensive to get, but the top might be. Is there a good resource for finding something comparable?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Some lumber and friend with a table saw

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

slightpirate posted:

I really like the look and feel of the metal plumbing pipe desks with a butcherblock top on them, but I'm poor. The pipes won't be hard or crazy expensive to get, but the top might be. Is there a good resource for finding something comparable?

Ikea Numerar. Even if you have the tools and know-how, you couldn't make one in a cabinet shop for that cheap. If that's too much for your pocket-book look around for old doors.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WorkingStiff posted:

Ikea Numerar. Even if you have the tools and know-how, you couldn't make one in a cabinet shop for that cheap. If that's too much for your pocket-book look around for old doors.

Wow, 186x100cm, now I'm jealous. In Finland Ikea sells only 186x62cm tabletops so I had to buy a flimsier one elsewhere to get one big enough :/

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

quick and dirty photo of the new desk layout. I like this setup because it encourages reading and I actually feel like my eyes strain less for one reason or another.

Side viewing angles are absolutely poo poo, though.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seamonster posted:

More ikea desk action (with glass top)
Oh man, could you post that wallpaper? That's hilarious.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off

Expensive looking speakers, cut foam packing stands. Crafty. Dual widescreen monitors in portrait orientation for maximum eBook. Also crafty.

Given the classy speakers, music stand, and name-escapes me audio device in the bottom right I take it you're a music kind of person.

Also, is that webcam a C615 or similar? I was planning on buying a refurbished one to hang in the hall outside my door so I can monitor the often loud goings on. :tinfoil: and wanted to know how good of a camera it is. Scale of 1 - 10

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

SevenSocks posted:

Expensive looking speakers, cut foam packing stands. Crafty. Dual widescreen monitors in portrait orientation for maximum eBook. Also crafty.

Given the classy speakers, music stand, and name-escapes me audio device in the
bottom right I take it you're a music kind of person.
The foam things the speakers are on are actually specifically made for large studio speakers, which in this case, are Yamaha HS-80Ms. They're supposed to prevent the desk from vibrating as a result of the speakers being on top of them, but I never use them at such high volumes that they would do that in the first place anyway, so really they're just used to point the speakers in my direction. I am sort of a music person.

SevenSocks posted:

Also, is that webcam a C615 or similar? I was planning on buying a refurbished one to hang in the hall outside my door so I can monitor the often loud goings on. :tinfoil: and wanted to know how good of a camera it is. Scale of 1 - 10
It's a C920, and I'd honestly give it a 10. Works in linux, has oustanding video quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Here's my desktop for the next week:

And here's the view from the window, if I just turn left:

If it isn't totally clear, I'm at a hotel. I'm currently in Yiwu, China- taking care of biznasssss :dukedog:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 17, 2012

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I have these monstrous floor speakers that are about 1ft. square and 4 feet tall that I'd like to put in storage and instead use some politely sized bookshelf speakers with good response across most frequencies to go with my steam-lined desk Any recommendations?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

slightpirate posted:

So I have these monstrous floor speakers that are about 1ft. square and 4 feet tall that I'd like to put in storage and instead use some politely sized bookshelf speakers with good response across most frequencies to go with my steam-lined desk Any recommendations?

What's your budget? I have PSB Imagine Minis and they are great and don't take up too much space. They are around $750/pair.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

slightpirate posted:

Anything from Audioengine. Go to the PC Speakers thread in IYG (usually on the first or second page) and you'll see that just about every other post is a recommendation for them. I have a pair of A2s at my desk at home and a pair of P4s as HT surround fronts and I can't recommend them enough. They look gorgeous, the fit and finish are impeccable, they sound fantastic, their shipping/warranty/customer service are all great, and they cost a LOT less than the PSB Imagines that titaniumone recommended (sorry, dude).

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anything from Audioengine. Go to the PC Speakers thread in IYG (usually on the first or second page) and you'll see that just about every other post is a recommendation for them. I have a pair of A2s at my desk at home and a pair of P4s as HT surround fronts and I can't recommend them enough. They look gorgeous, the fit and finish are impeccable, they sound fantastic, their shipping/warranty/customer service are all great, and they cost a LOT less than the PSB Imagines that titaniumone recommended (sorry, dude).

Since he's replacing tower speakers I assumed he wanted something that would use an existing amp.

I'm sure those are alright but aren't really comparable and why I told him to specify a budget.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
This is the setup i've had since we moved in 4 years ago. There is no actual "desktop" to work on, so I'm in the process of putting together a new deal on the cheap.

The (digital) desktop is the Latvian coat of arms. For now, this is my (actual) desktop, complete with floral pattern blanket.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 18, 2012

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
for what its worth, the 'amp' I've been using is an RCA brand radio/cd/tape unit that used to have little bookshelf speakers attached to it. the connection between the PC and the stereo head unit is by way of a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable. I wouldn't mind getting a smaller unit to drive everything though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Out of curiosity, any idea if it's possible to use Audioengine's speakers as part of a larger setup? I doubt I'll replace my old mediocre Z-5500s anytime soon but whenever I do replace them, I'm reluctant to have less speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

slightpirate posted:

for what its worth, the 'amp' I've been using is an RCA brand radio/cd/tape unit that used to have little bookshelf speakers attached to it. the connection between the PC and the stereo head unit is by way of a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable. I wouldn't mind getting a smaller unit to drive everything though.

So again, your budget matters, but I'm using an Emotiva a-100 to power my PSBs and it is an excellent little amp. Tons of power, great sound, reasonably priced.

Also it isn't tiny (it is very deep - around 14") but it is short and not too wide. I found it easy to fit into my desk setup.