Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Japanese one already is.

It's less obvious now than in season 1, but it's still really, really obvious.

I think the fact that they're playing decades-old games instead of contemporary stuff is what keeps it from being completely intolerable. You just know that "Retro Game Master USA" or whatever would end up being an marketing exercise with some dude playing old games in order to push new ones, rather than just playing neat games for the sake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

redmercer posted:

First, let's not pretend that "commercials as entertainment" is an exclusively American domain. Also, the only two other comedian gamers I can think of are Robin Williams and Dave Chappelle

Oh god, Robin William would be so insufferable to watch. I wonder if that cocaine fueled energy would start to wind down after hour 4 of making the same Quest of Ki jump.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Robin Williams is a big gamer.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
I can't help but wonder how his daughter feels about being named after a game character. :v: Zelda is an actual name as opposed to something like Peach or Aeris, but still.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo did a bunch of Robin/Zelda Williams commercials for the anniversary celebrations and OOT3D last year, so I can't imagine she's too irritated by it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seth Rogen apparently has a PlayChoice-10 (the NES arcade machine) in his house. He could make it work and I think he's pretty funny most of the time v:shobon:v

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I've seen D Fujimoto a few times during the show. He is rarly mentioned or seen on camera. Has he done anything memorable on the show. He was important enough to make it on zarigani's 40th bday poster.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Would we really need "a comedian" as the host of a hypothetical Retro Game Master USA? I mean, Arino is likable and funny but "comedian" means something a little different in Japan than it does in America. You could pretty much just get any likable guy, celebrity or non, to be the host, it wouldn't have to be a known comedian.

Or better yet, make it a known internet comedian. Make it Seanbaby, or even Nathan Barnatt.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
"Better yet, make it an internet comedian" is an odd, unprecedented suggestion I think.

I loved the "den of thugs" :lol: Arino rules. Thank you SAGCX (however you abbreviate it) for these segments!

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 7, 2012

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
We just finished the Battle Golfer Yui episode.

What the figurative poo poo just happened? :psyboom:

I'd like to believe that might have made more sense if I were familiar with the anime, except for the part where Yui and Ran are inexplicably still alive and riding an elevator in normal golfing clothes.

As long as we're fantasy casting an English version of Game Center CX, somebody like Alan Davies might be a good fit.

kimpira fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 7, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jonathan Ross could be interesting since he's the type who would watch the show.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'd watch Game Center 420 featuring Seth Rogen as Arino, Kal Penn as Abe, and Jay Baruchel as an AD.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Less ~us dream host~ chat, more "dvds fuckin own" chat.

:v:

(From the Shiren episode, right after MONSTER HOUSE.)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

I've noticed stuff like this in other episodes subbed by the team. I think it might be that the video frame rates are often lower than the game's, so graphical weirdness shows up. Sometimes sprites outright disappear. Another example might be this incredibly slow spinning blade. No wonder all her can do is give out a halfhearted "Ohhhh..."

Yeah, the game is running at a different framerate than the capture device. A great example is a character's post-hit invincibility making him look invisible, or when you point a video camera at an old computer monitor.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, the game is running at a different framerate than the capture device. A great example is a character's post-hit invincibility making him look invisible, or when you point a video camera at an old computer monitor.

To be precise, the NES running on NTSC format normally ran at right around 60 frames per second. In most cases, television shows record at 30 frames per second. Since the most common way to cause the "flashing" effect was to simply have the sprite appear and disappear every alternate frame, the recording device only picks up one or the other state for the most part.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Trip Report: Squid Jerky

I dropped in at a japanese grocery on a whim today while running errands and got some dried squid. It was shredded and looks like fried calamari as opposed to the skewers Arino eats. The smell was absolutely offensive, its got that distinct fish smell like youre at a fish market or pet store.

Despite that though, the stuff tastes delicious. Ive always loved seafood so my endorsement doesnt mean much to people who cant stomach it, but it tastes really great! I was shocked at the difference between the smell and the taste, I always though the nose and the tongue were linked. I went through a whole 4oz bag without even realizing it. I bought a second one, but Ill save it for the next SAGCCX release.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
The new special is too good, so many great moments, How he's so bad at Super Mario Kart confuses me though..

Can't wait till it's subbed so more people can see it and I can get some of the jokes that I couldn't understand haha

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012
Hi. Does anyone know what that red card inserted into the tv is and what it does?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brinty posted:

The new special is too good, so many great moments, How he's so bad at Super Mario Kart confuses me though..

I want to turn about half that special into gifs. Unfortunately that would spoil all the incredible moments for people...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Where can I download the latest non-subbed episodes? The OP only mentions a stream (which didn't work, or I tuned in at the wrong time.)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Laksa posted:

Hi. Does anyone know what that red card inserted into the tv is and what it does?

Basically, it's a viewing card. Every Japanese TV needs one to pick up digital channels.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Katana Gomai posted:

Where can I download the latest non-subbed episodes? The OP only mentions a stream (which didn't work, or I tuned in at the wrong time.)
Fellow goon joek0 is uploading a lot of the new raw episodes to YouTube, including the Asia trip (I haven't watched it yet, but I might just to watch Arino gently caress up on Mario Kart). I think he has most, if not all, of the recent episodes as well as a number of older raws uploaded.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Is there a reason why he doesn't torrent them instead?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
I'd imagine raw episodes are enough of a niche interest that it'd be a massive pain keeping them decently seeded. It's a lot simpler to just chuck them on YouTube and let Google take care of the hosting instead.

Personally I just copy the YT links into JDownloader and grab the mp4s that way.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to get the dvds, but I'd also like to embrace the digital download future and keep my house clutter free. Anybody know if/when it'll end up available as an amazon video or on Itunes?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd like to get the dvds, but I'd also like to embrace the digital download future and keep my house clutter free. Anybody know if/when it'll end up available as an amazon video or on Itunes?

Considering who released it and the status of their other releases on said services, never (probably).

...actually, Fist of the North Star (and some of the other anime they released on DVD) are on Amazon Instant, but those were probably there already and are potentially the same subs that are on Hulu.

I still think that seeing the Game Center CX/RGM DVD episodes on Digital Services is a longshot. It'd be kinda cool, but it's still likely not going to happen anytime soon.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 7, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that's probably something you can levy at KOTAK's feet.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Refusing to watch any of the KOTAK versions when they come out has made the set a real treat for me. Got around to watching The Wing of Madoola episode and laughed pretty hard at the phone calls/hang ups to Kibe and the SunSoft rep. Easily a top 10 episode for me with all the staff interaction as well.

Do they not have a framerate standard on the show though? All the studio footage in Madoola was 60fps where it's been 30 on the other episodes, and gameplay between episodes have had the same 30/60 split as well. This is all moot when ripping the episodes through Handbrake though since it gets output at 30fps.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 7, 2012

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.

zari-gani posted:

Friend code is 5370-1794-9055.

Totally added you! My friend code is 3308-4596-9366.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Loving the DVDs. Had trouble watching the Bonanza Brothers episode though, since the subtitles just happen to overlap with the portion of the screen where all the action it. Mighty Bomb Jack was thrilling. Battle Golfer Yui made me wonder whether or not I was actually awake or if the game was some sort of insane fever dream. Good stuff!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Here's an oddly specific Japanese language question. I was rewatching the Flashback episode this morning, and I noticed in the intro Arino says "But, 1, 2, 3... It's the combined sales of all three GCCX books that's enough to beat 'Hero', though." Except he says the numbers as "one, two, three" instead of "ichi, ni, san" or whatever they are. Is there some reason for this?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

That's what you do when you have more than one title in a series, at least when talking about modern things like movies or video games.

For example, the "VI" in Final Fantasy VI is pronounced "shikkusu", not "roku".

So, the books are Game Center CX One, Two, and Three.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

cronox2 posted:

Do they not have a framerate standard on the show though? All the studio footage in Madoola was 60fps where it's been 30 on the other episodes, and gameplay between episodes have had the same 30/60 split as well. This is all moot when ripping the episodes through Handbrake though since it gets output at 30fps.

The show went HD in Madoola's season so the camera footage got a bump.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Now it's time for the segments from 53 Stations of the Tokaido. This one was already translated, of course, and it hasn't been modified from that other than stripping the licensed portions of the episode.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 135.31 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

And that's it for the moment. I'm out of translated bonus clips. There will be more in the future but I thought a deluge for the DVD was appropriate.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Gascoin Company collected a bunch of photos and messages from people of various connections for Producer Kan's birthday, and I was one of them. In my case they asked for a drawing. This was what I did:

("Shacho" meaning president/chairman/etc., his official position in the company)

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I will never stop being jealous of you. Both for your artistic ability and for how close you get to be to GCCX.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

zari-gani posted:

Gascoin Company collected a bunch of photos and messages from people of various connections for Producer Kan's birthday, and I was one of them. In my case they asked for a drawing. This was what I did:

("Shacho" meaning president/chairman/etc., his official position in the company)

Is the receipt a list of the shows he produces or something?

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

zari-gani posted:

Producer Kan just seems like a badass. The glares he gives Arino are just so angry I wouldn't want to piss him off.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

That is way too awesome! :3: I take it the 48 on the register is supposed to be his age? I was thinking he was older than that (like mid-50s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Gutcruncher posted:

Is the receipt a list of the shows he produces or something?

Yep, plus the GCCX original songs since he wrote those.

Obeast posted:

That is way too awesome! :3: I take it the 48 on the register is supposed to be his age? I was thinking he was older than that (like mid-50s).

Abe is born the same year as Kan. They're both 48.