Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm not sure about hte FV thing, but once they did the mass-move from Test to live last summer, they made it so /testcopy from every live server that isn't FV copies with plat and nothing no-drop that wasn't already, so you can dupe tons of stuff like AoNs. I dunno how FV transfer works though. I currently have 17 million plat and 9 AoNs on Test :3: If the FV thing works, bring me a big care package of SK/monk raid gear :v:

Pillars raid starting on Test if anyone 90+ wants to come in the next 15 mins, we're porting up now!

My SK (Xantarr) and Mage (Smugatheist) box are both 72 right now. Should I go ahead and request the full set of HoT gear now for both or tray and finish out their defiant gear?

Vildeor is 85 and already has T1 or T2 HoT gear. Should I try and get the full set of T1 VoA gear yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
How many AA does your SK have? You can take them to 81 and still XP in PoFire, but any higher and if you don't have 1k-1500AA, you're gonna have a really bad time as an SK. I'll hang onto the HoT for both of em for sure :)

I'd wait on VoA, since you can't use it until 91

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

How many AA does your SK have? You can take them to 81 and still XP in PoFire, but any higher and if you don't have 1k-1500AA, you're gonna have a really bad time as an SK. I'll hang onto the HoT for both of em for sure :)

I'd wait on VoA, since you can't use it until 91

The SK has like 300 right now, the Mage at 100.

I bought a few things on the Luclin Server last knight and copied them.

Also, thanks to whoever sent me the parcels. I've got more dream motes, plat and Brellium than I know what to do with.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Definitely don't level past 81 for a bit, then. With HoT T1 and like 750AA, your SK can swarm all of PoFire. Even on Luclin, I managed 2k AA in a week or two. It shouldn't take more than a couple days on Test and you can't tank HoT+ with 300 AA. SK power skyrockets from 300AA up to 2kAA, it's like playing a totally different character. Most importantly, one that out-tanks a cleric merc :3:

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.
I decided to test copy over Triolus last night and play for a bit. I am thinking I am going to have to make test my new server to play on. The rate that I was getting AAs and being able to get Journeyman mercenary for free is just to temping to pass up.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Now I'm getting worried that SOE will crack down on Test being free with all expansions and Gold membership. It seems like there's hardly any downside to playing there.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Thats kind of why I've adopted a "wait and see" attitude. Usually anytime something is too good to be true with SoE, it is, and then quickly gets reduced to "too bad to be playable" or just taken away completely without advance notice. RIP triple station cash day subscriptions :(

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Is HoT T1 armor the "abstruse soandso" items that drop off nameds in the first two HoT zones?
Don't think i can solo those if they summon. I'm assuming they are no-drop after crafting, or can you get them on the bazaar?

Been having a blast since it went F2P, finding random groups every day, people cheering when we suspend the last merc and get a full group of players.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Those are them. The armor pieces are tradable and attunable after they're made. They don't get sold in the bazaar because turning the all class mold into one class's armor before finding a buyer would be stupid.

If you're on a real server, auction to but HoT T1 armor in general. If you're on Test, good luck.

Pretty sure all HoT and VoA named summon, so get used to that.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just saw this thread. Awesome work, OP. I haven't played EQ since the early 2000's. I had a gnome wizard that I got to level 55 and then I gave him away because I already had a day job and the night job of solo-kiting giant floating sperm-looking creatures in some burning dragon zone was work.

I was a quad-kiting maniac until I couldn't find anymore mobs to quad. I wonder: is quad-kiting still a decent option, or has that gone by the way side? The OP indicates it's not what it used to be.

Also, are T-Boots still available/useful? As a wizard, I always made a point to get the spell Concussion. It was a wonderful thing to have when you accidentally overnuked in a group. Is that spell still quest-only or can you buy it now? (edit: nevermind, I looked it up at the suggested site in the OP. It is purchasable in the plane of knowledge. Great. I am downloading the client now....) That quest was a nightmare.

I may pick up the game again. I'm tempted....

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 21, 2012

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dan7el posted:

I just saw this thread. Awesome work, OP. I haven't played EQ since the early 2000's. I had a gnome wizard that I got to level 55 and then I gave him away because I already had a day job and the night job of solo-kiting giant floating sperm-looking creatures in some burning dragon zone was work.

I was a quad-kiting maniac until I couldn't find anymore mobs to quad. I wonder: is quad-kiting still a decent option, or has that gone by the way side? The OP indicates it's not what it used to be.

Also, are T-Boots still available/useful? As a wizard, I always made a point to get the spell Concussion. It was a wonderful thing to have when you accidentally overnuked in a group. Is that spell still quest-only or can you buy it now? (edit: nevermind, I looked it up at the suggested site in the OP. It is purchasable in the plane of knowledge. Great. I am downloading the client now....) That quest was a nightmare.

I may pick up the game again. I'm tempted....

I had a 65 gnome wizard with his 1.0 epic back in the PoP era, but I wasn't able to get him back when I started playing again back in May. I strongly remember grinding LDoN instances over and over in order to get enough "points" to buy Ice Meteor. In regards to your question, I did uad-kite a ton with my druid especially and I think that raptors were still viable at 55, but that's the last mob I know of that was viable for quadding. They even changed the dwarves in ButcherBlock that my druid used to AoE kite. They still con KoS to my druid, but they don't aggro and I can't attack them in any way. Hil-arious

On the odd occasion my druid overnuked in groups (and at 80, wizards nuke for 2.5-3 times the damage of a druid), I would have loved a spell like concussion. My druid just hit the Silver cap of 1000 AA, and I haven't put one point into subtlety (aggro reduction) because I rarely group.

I still find it ironic and infuriating that it's perfectly okay and fair and balanced for everyone to have a ranger who roots 8 mobs at a time and then kills them instantly with flying toothpicks, but dumping half of your mana circle kiting 4 mobs went down the plughole a long time ago. Being able to rain destruction on lots of light blue cons and actually get fast experience in this glacial-paced game is fine, but it shouldn't be confined to just a few classes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

Now I'm getting worried that SOE will crack down on Test being free with all expansions and Gold membership. It seems like there's hardly any downside to playing there.

If only there was more than 2 traders in the bazaar and 5 in the guild lobby :smith:

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.

No More Heroes posted:

If only there was more than 2 traders in the bazaar and 5 in the guild lobby :smith:

Yeah, the population of Test isn't there. When I was playing on Luclin, I could find any item I wanted in the bazaar. I think I would be more worried about test having its benefits taken away if a large number of players started moving over there. I just don't see that happening because some people are scared of a server wipe and other are scared that the benefits will be taken away. Also, many that still play are set on playing in a guild that they are already in.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

JustJeff88 posted:

I still find it ironic and infuriating that it's perfectly okay and fair and balanced for everyone to have a ranger who roots 8 mobs at a time and then kills them instantly with flying toothpicks, but dumping half of your mana circle kiting 4 mobs went down the plughole a long time ago. Being able to rain destruction on lots of light blue cons and actually get fast experience in this glacial-paced game is fine, but it shouldn't be confined to just a few classes.

Druids got two 5 target AE nukes in voa, plus the normal rain spell that can be used as a 4 target nuke. With those and mini-discs like Twincast, quinting is a viable exp method for druids over 90.

It's going to suck more for druids without every nuke and support aa, but that's true for any exp that isn't autofollowing a ranger around ferrott missions.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I created my gnome wizard -- I think his name is Falleren. I let the random name generator do my dirty work there. He is level 3. I will ask for the password in-game.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

It's really not a big deal if you join an established guild...or even if you don't. 90+ there's really nothing you'd care to buy anyway other than powersources (guild) and uh...actually there's nothing else to buy. A guild will take care of your HoT/VoA tier 1 needs and basically everything else is no-drop anyway, so it doesn't matter. Even cultural is entirely available on Test if you want it, you just have to speak up to find someone. My guild can fulfill like 90% of cultural items/aug needs at-cost, if anyone needs some. At-cost isn't even a big deal on Test since plat is free, it's just the "I don't want to rear end myself to testcopy another million so give me enough to cover this" aspect.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
Ok so yesterday I was three boxing trying to grind up to level 80 on my alts when the framerate drops from the usual 15 - 30 FPS to 1.

This is only happening in combat and at first happened on my Shadowknight, but quickly started happening to my shaman and mage. I'm using IS Boxer, and it's only in the last week or so I've had this problem.

Any ideas on what is going on or how to fix this?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

HolyCarp posted:

Yeah, the population of Test isn't there. When I was playing on Luclin, I could find any item I wanted in the bazaar. I think I would be more worried about test having its benefits taken away if a large number of players started moving over there. I just don't see that happening because some people are scared of a server wipe and other are scared that the benefits will be taken away. Also, many that still play are set on playing in a guild that they are already in.

I don't think they would ever wipe Test. Test is good for bitter vets who had decent gears from waay back and don't really need plat for anything. If you take year long breaks but wanna run your box crew once in a while without paying for Gold- /testcopy.

Shit Hawk
Jun 23, 2012
I'm trying to get in on this but I'm having trouble getting the game to run on windows 7. I went through about 15 pages of this thread but couldn't find anything related to my issue. google is also turning up very little.

I am able to log in, choose a server, then create a character. but when I click to either start the tutorial or enter the world, I get the "loading zone file(s)" screen, the bar goes to 100%, and then nothing else happens.

I have tried a hand full of different things, including disabling windows firewall, running eq on all of the different windows compatibility modes, adjusting both game and desktop resolution, updating video card drivers, updating directx9, and probably a couple of other things that I'm forgetting.

Anybody else had this issue? Is there a fix?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Not had that issue, and it seems like you've tried almost everything. Have you tried running windowed versus fullscreen?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In the launcher options, try clicking "validate game assets".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't read all 50+ pages of this thread, but I read in the OP that I should do a /who all Ominous to find the goon guild. Haven't seen one on yet in the past 3 days (Luclin server). Is it completely dead or are there still goons playing on Luclin/somewhere else I should know about?

I used to play a long time ago... maybe 2000-2006 off and on. I started playing just recently due to the Shards of Dalaya ads, but my mouse sensitivity was too screwy for the game to be enjoyable, so I started on live.

Basically, where are the goons at on live?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I didn't read all 50+ pages of this thread, but I read in the OP that I should do a /who all Ominous to find the goon guild. Haven't seen one on yet in the past 3 days (Luclin server). Is it completely dead or are there still goons playing on Luclin/somewhere else I should know about?

I used to play a long time ago... maybe 2000-2006 off and on. I started playing just recently due to the Shards of Dalaya ads, but my mouse sensitivity was too screwy for the game to be enjoyable, so I started on live.

Goonrush died out, those that are still around did the testcopy thing to Test I believe, for free gold membership basically.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Pennywise the Frown posted:

A couple of us occasionally play on zek but havent been lately, most on Test atm

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Only goons are on test right now, and there's only 5 or 6 of us at all. I haven't played in weeks thanks to new job, but I'm around sometimes occasionally

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Then there's those of us who were playing before and still playing. But we're on other servers.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
I'm on Test, but only on weekends and I've been having really bad framerates when I threebox.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Aww, shame the Luclin goon guild died out.

I'd like to say thanks for a good time earlier this year around March. I don't think there's ever been such a goon presence in EQ before, and likely never will be. It was good to keep the flame alive for a little while. :unsmith: I will seriously have the saddest face the day the last EQ server shuts down.

Shit Hawk
Jun 23, 2012

ponzicar posted:

In the launcher options, try clicking "validate game assets".

tried this, everything checked out. thanks for the suggestion though.

xZAOx posted:

Not had that issue, and it seems like you've tried almost everything. Have you tried running windowed versus fullscreen?
bingo
alternating display modes did it, though on zoning i have to switch to full screen and then back to windowed or it sticks again. not sure why it does this but its at least mostly playable now. thanks. I'm in luclin as a lovely gnome warrior named Grome.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Aww, shame the Luclin goon guild died out.

I'd like to say thanks for a good time earlier this year around March. I don't think there's ever been such a goon presence in EQ before, and likely never will be. It was good to keep the flame alive for a little while. :unsmith: I will seriously have the saddest face the day the last EQ server shuts down.

Yeah, it was just about the most fun I've ever had in EQ :unsmith: You dudes were a blast to play with

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun

MrTheDevious posted:

Yeah, it was just about the most fun I've ever had in EQ :unsmith: You dudes were a blast to play with
I stopped playing because of the SOE Station Cash/subscription policy change and it's doubtful I'm the only person. I'm really curious what that's going to do for the business in the long term.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Wask posted:

I stopped playing because of the SOE Station Cash/subscription policy change and it's doubtful I'm the only person. I'm really curious what that's going to do for the business in the long term.

That's exactly why my 4box quit. I tool around on Test now when I feel like it, but yeah, that's what got me 100%

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Those of you who basically quit but have 1-year subs from the cheap SC trade ins, consider staying "subscribed" until they're about to bill you again. I'm getting the 500SC a month and I think you can use it for other games like planetside 2.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just come to Test guys, it's free.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

RCarr posted:

Just come to Test guys, it's free.

When it's up.

I was going to get to level 80 this week on my alts, but everytime I log on in the past few days the server is down.

Also it looks like /testcopy doesn't work anymore for the time being so there goes trying to find a way to get my HoT armor for my alts.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
The march goonrush was a blast, but they killed my sub when they yanked SC subs.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Ante Christ posted:

When it's up.

I was going to get to level 80 this week on my alts, but everytime I log on in the past few days the server is down.

Also it looks like /testcopy doesn't work anymore for the time being so there goes trying to find a way to get my HoT armor for my alts.

Test has been hosed up the past couple days. Other than this blip, it's been stable for the last 2 or 3 months.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Dubious posted:

The march goonrush was a blast, but they killed my sub when they yanked SC subs.
Goonrush was a blast, but Kodaji's power trip ruined the experience for me. Nonetheless it was certainly a blast. I tried to go over to Vanguard and that's when I noticed they changed their sub policy with regards to SC. With the game preventing you from wearing raid tier items there's no way in hell I'd consider leveling up...for a raiding game...if I can't legitimately F2P.

I do find it funny that of all the games I've played that are F2P with cash shops, Lineage 2 is by far the most unnecessary. NEVER would have expected that Korean grindfest to hold that honor.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They should've let legacy accounts keep and wear their old poo poo when they converted to F2P, they would've kept and picked up a lot more people. I can't stand logging in and seeing 99% of my gear unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

gepgepgep posted:

Goonrush was a blast, but Kodaji's power trip ruined the experience for me. Nonetheless it was certainly a blast. I tried to go over to Vanguard and that's when I noticed they changed their sub policy with regards to SC. With the game preventing you from wearing raid tier items there's no way in hell I'd consider leveling up...for a raiding game...if I can't legitimately F2P.

I do find it funny that of all the games I've played that are F2P with cash shops, Lineage 2 is by far the most unnecessary. NEVER would have expected that Korean grindfest to hold that honor.

I hope I ruined Nero's experience, too :smugdog: