Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

RazorBunny posted:

My German friend says "daksh-hoond" with a very slight pronunciation on the k.

Yeah, "hoond" is a better way to describe what I hear. Its not "huh-nd" at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought the germans pronounced it "veinerschnauzer" v:shobon:v

Sailor
Apr 2, 2007

Who needs balls when you've got guts.
Years ago my mom had a weiner dog (yeah, they're not Viennese but it works) and as a kid I honestly believed it was properly called a "Dutch Hound".

Which considering how "Deutsch" occasionally gets corrupted to "Dutch" (PA Dutch, Dutch Angle, etc) almost works, but no. Not after two years of college German. Weiner or doxie are ok by me though.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

InEscape posted:

I am confused. Are you saying there should be a glottal stop in there? I thought it was a palatal sound, and maybe even a fricative in the German. I can't make it sound normal with a glottal stop in English. I think most people pronounce it with the voiceless velar /k/, it becomes /ts/ because the /k/ assimilates to the place of the next sound (the alveolar fricative /s/) making it sound more like /ts/ than /ks/ (what actually happens is sort of somewhere in between but it gets complicated fast). Listeners misperceive and pass the wrong pronunciation to others. It's pretty standard place assimilation though.

I'm not a phonologist but this seems like the most likely explanation. A velar fricative would be realized as the velar stop, and then regressive place assimilation turns it into an alveolar.
[x] -> [k]
[ks] -> [ts]
However, according to Wikipedia the German pronunciation is just [dakshʊnt], which means that Americans are just being lazy asses by saying [datsənd].

Bad Munki posted:

I'm saying that people just get lazy and put in a glottal stop on an already mis-heard and mispronounced word, and that leads to further mis-hearing and hence mispronunciation, and eventually leads to jumping that x-t gap. Like, dahtsun is actually pronounced more like dah'sun, and dahksun would also be pronounced more like dah'sun, because of that lazy stop.

A glottal stop would make sense if it were the result of debuccalization (loss of place). But that would be the result of a further change from the [t] to the glottal stop. American English debuccalizes [t] word-finally before another consonant and between liquids/vowels and syllabic nasals (like in "button" - but not in front of other syllabic consonants, c.f. "bottle"). So it could be that the [h] drops out like it often does; the alveolar assimilation happens; and you get something like [dats.ənd], which is then re-syllabified as [dat.sənd]. Somewhere in there the final [d] gets deleted. Then the [t] is analyzed as word-final (since it's a compounded loan) and before a consonant [s], so it glottalizes with the result [daʔ.sən]. But that's a total just-so story for you.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
You guys we have a 4 month old long-haired GSD puppy in my training class and he is the BEST DOG. He flomps about on his massive paws like a half-stuffed teddy bear. When do they start going into crazy adolescent GSD mode?

Also there is a white staffy/bully type called Khaleesi and I nerded out a bit with her owner.

I've been doing some paid assistant work in some basic obedience classes and it's wicked fun. I'm quickly confirming my intuition that it's the people who make the dog crazy, not the other way around.

Gary and I are starting out in a 'Companion Dog Life Skills' course tomorrow with a view to sitting his CGC at some point. :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

You guys we have a 4 month old long-haired GSD puppy in my training class and he is the BEST DOG. He flomps about on his massive paws like a half-stuffed teddy bear. When do they start going into crazy adolescent GSD mode?

Also there is a white staffy/bully type called Khaleesi and I nerded out a bit with her owner.

I've been doing some paid assistant work in some basic obedience classes and it's wicked fun. I'm quickly confirming my intuition that it's the people who make the dog crazy, not the other way around.

Gary and I are starting out in a 'Companion Dog Life Skills' course tomorrow with a view to sitting his CGC at some point. :)

What does any of this have to do with pronunciation? :confused:

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010
I really think I need a hug right now, not sure if it's the right place to post. I got home from work late tonight to a stray cat dying by my front door, I suspect he was poisoned as there has been a few reports of that around here. I feel absolutely awful, he died in my arms as my husband rang around trying to find some help. I am glad that he at least had some company in his last moments, but I am so angry at whoever did this. :smithicide:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

QueenBee posted:

I really think I need a hug right now, not sure if it's the right place to post. I got home from work late tonight to a stray cat dying by my front door, I suspect he was poisoned as there has been a few reports of that around here. I feel absolutely awful, he died in my arms as my husband rang around trying to find some help. I am glad that he at least had some company in his last moments, but I am so angry at whoever did this. :smithicide:

Sometimes there's nothing you can do, man. Like you said at least the poor guy had someone in his final moments. Plenty of stray cats don't get the safety of a warm place to die in. If he was that bad when you found him, I really doubt there'd have been anything the vet could have done too except put him down.

Stories like this are why so many of us aren't into letting cats just roam around outside loose, though. It's entirely possible someone didn't poison him intentionally (50/50 really). He could have gotten hold of a mouse that ate poison, a venomous animal, any number of chemicals that were disposed of improperly, etc, etc. I certainly hope no one's been poisoning strays directly, though I know there's some that would. :( Here's hoping it's just coincidence/accidental. Are strays a really big problem where you live?

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sometimes there's nothing you can do, man. Like you said at least the poor guy had someone in his final moments. Plenty of stray cats don't get the safety of a warm place to die in. If he was that bad when you found him, I really doubt there'd have been anything the vet could have done too except put him down.

Stories like this are why so many of us aren't into letting cats just roam around outside loose, though. It's entirely possible someone didn't poison him intentionally (50/50 really). He could have gotten hold of a mouse that ate poison, a venomous animal, any number of chemicals that were disposed of improperly, etc, etc. I certainly hope no one's been poisoning strays directly, though I know there's some that would. :( Here's hoping it's just coincidence/accidental. Are strays a really big problem where you live?

I have 2 indoor only cats for just this reason, my mother and I lost 2 dogs and a cat within a week to baiting a couple of years ago and along my mothers street there were 20+ cats lost to some psycho, I even fully enclosed our back patio so they have their own cat area. There used to be heaps of strays around here, I have even seen this chap around a few times, I tried to lure him towards me a few times hoping to maybe capture and re-home him or get him some help, he was severely underweight and I feel somehow responsible :( But I know it wasn't really my fault. Around my area there have been a lot of reports of cat poisoning, someone has been leaving out baited cat food, and by the looks of him that's what it was, I have unfortunately seen it before. He lasted less then an hour from when we got home, the vet the ranger told us to get in touch with is 30 mins away, and he passed whilst my husband was on the phone with them.

I know logically I did everything I could, but I keep on second guessing myself, I started a new job on Wednesday, usually I would have been home, maybe I would of heard him, maybe I should have left food out, but I tried that and there were cat fights and spraying. I dunno, I just wish people would take care of their animals, he had an ear tattoo meaning he was sterilized, meaning someone cared at some point, what happened? Who dropped the ball here? I have been crying for hours because of him, tomorrow we will go buy a tree and bury him under it, it's not much but for an hour he was my beloved cat, and I will honor him as such. Fair-well Mr Gingerpuss.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
Every time I get out of the shower and return to my room ready to towel off and get dressed my dog appears and frantically licks my wet feet and legs. At first I tried shooing and gently kicking him away, but nothing deterred him. Eventually I just left him to it and carried on as normal.

It doesn't bother me that much but why does he do it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

QueenBee posted:

I have 2 indoor only cats for just this reason, my mother and I lost 2 dogs and a cat within a week to baiting a couple of years ago and along my mothers street there were 20+ cats lost to some psycho, I even fully enclosed our back patio so they have their own cat area. There used to be heaps of strays around here, I have even seen this chap around a few times, I tried to lure him towards me a few times hoping to maybe capture and re-home him or get him some help, he was severely underweight and I feel somehow responsible :( But I know it wasn't really my fault. Around my area there have been a lot of reports of cat poisoning, someone has been leaving out baited cat food, and by the looks of him that's what it was, I have unfortunately seen it before. He lasted less then an hour from when we got home, the vet the ranger told us to get in touch with is 30 mins away, and he passed whilst my husband was on the phone with them.

I know logically I did everything I could, but I keep on second guessing myself, I started a new job on Wednesday, usually I would have been home, maybe I would of heard him, maybe I should have left food out, but I tried that and there were cat fights and spraying. I dunno, I just wish people would take care of their animals, he had an ear tattoo meaning he was sterilized, meaning someone cared at some point, what happened? Who dropped the ball here? I have been crying for hours because of him, tomorrow we will go buy a tree and bury him under it, it's not much but for an hour he was my beloved cat, and I will honor him as such. Fair-well Mr Gingerpuss.

He might have even been a STR cat. I'd call animal control with that tattoo number and see if they can find out anything. He might be a released feral or he might have been an escaped pet. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

LeeDless posted:

It doesn't bother me that much but why does he do it?

You are wet! How did you get that way! You taste like water! I am a dog! :buddy:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

cryingscarf posted:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/10/this-man-should-not-be-allowed-animals/

My brother sent me this link/video and oh my god it is such a mess. Since when is getting a bunch of animals of different species and piling them on a single surface an acceptable thing? And the poor puppy screaming at the end. I wonder what happened to him. So did Dexter, who rushed over to the laptop to try to investigate the second it started screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb8C7dxTGRM

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Splat posted:

I still have no idea how to pronounce it after all the above :-/

Why would you even try if the dog has a name? That would be like calling a friend of yours who happens to be black "black guy" all the time instead of his real name. Pretty insensitive to the dog imho.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Mods: replace every thread with this video please and thank you

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I bought a little beef bone for Terra for the first time.

Is it ok/good to give to her raw, or should I cook it first?

I should add in case this makes a difference that she *will* take it to all of her favourite parts of the house, so if cooking it will make it less messy/still not dangerous for her, then I should probably do that.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Don't cook it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Superconsndar posted:

Don't cook it.
Expounding on this - cooking it will make it more likely to splinter, and you don't want your pets swallowing splintered bones.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh ok cool, thanks!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow tried weight pulling today. :3: You'll have to excuse (or enjoy) the commentary my friend felt was necessary...

That was his second attempt. Strangely enough he didn't hesitate as much on his first attempt, but I think the feel of the harness pulling on him was a little confusing, ha. I love when he ducks his head down like he's supposed to and just goes for it. That cart's over 300lbs. I totally expected him to just stand there and stare at me like, "um, no, this is dumb," so I was surprised. :3: We did the little demo agility course too, but it wasn't anything special.

Someone came up to me and said they'd been watching Shadow and asked if he had greyhound or borzoi in him, because (according to her) he looks and moves like them. The collie rescue lady said she sees a lot of collie in him, and that his face is a "deadringer" for a collie face (I don't agree). Couple of weeks ago I ran into one of our students in the park and he said "what is he a wolfhound?" :v: So far Shadow is a GSD/lab/greyhound/collie/wolfhound/wolf hybrid mix. :shepface:

QueenBee
Jun 3, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

He might have even been a STR cat. I'd call animal control with that tattoo number and see if they can find out anything. He might be a released feral or he might have been an escaped pet. :(

I'm in Australia no maintained feral populations or anything, I suspect he was a cat who was left behind when someone moved, he was very skittish towards humans though, and this is the first time I have seen him in months, the tattoo is just a circle with a line through it showing he was sterilized, and the ranger is animal control so he knows. I might ring the local cop shop tomorrow as here is an investigation into the poisoning so at least they know. Thank you though I felt so helpless last night not knowing what to do especially as it was late Saturday and everywhere was closed. I am very glad I was there for him, it was incredibly tough for me as I am such a softie towards animals, and I cried for hours after, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I'm also glad my 4 year old was sleeping over her grandparents house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Skizzles posted:

Shadow tried weight pulling today. :3: You'll have to excuse (or enjoy) the commentary my friend felt was necessary...

Ha, I like your friend's commentary. :3:

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Soft claws for dogs http://www.softclaws.com/soft_claws_dogs/home.html?pet=dog
I want to like them, I think they could be cute but on some of those pictures they are kind of hideous. Probably work well though, except dogs will be chewing them off and making polka dot poops. Thoughts?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Mean Bean posted:

I want to like them, I think they could be cute but on some of those pictures they are kind of hideous. Probably work well though, except dogs will be chewing them off and making polka dot poops. Thoughts?

I guess I can see using them to keep wood floors from being scratched up and stuff, but other than that it seems like a dumb bandaid for most issues. Which is what most people want I guess, so cool.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Hahahaha, any dog I know would chew those off so fast!

Besides, if you keep up with your dog's nails, shouldn't they be short enough to not even like, clack on the floor? And those would make them grow so long you wouldn't know when you need to trim them.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My dog's nails grow super fast because no matter how much we walk him, he spends most of his time inside, on carpet.
...That and I refuse to clip his nails myself because the crushing noise makes me feel awful for him.

He would still chew those off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

paisleyfox posted:

Besides, if you keep up with your dog's nails, shouldn't they be short enough to not even like, clack on the floor?

I'd like that to be true, I really would. Ooka has very small feet, like a dainty little princess, and it makes his claws clack around super loud no matter what. If I were to trim them back far enough to not do so, I'd basically be clipping them back to the (very short) fur. We'd be looking at, like, 3mm claws, and a floor covered in blood.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 7, 2012

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Mean Bean posted:

I mean, how is this more effective than getting your dogs nails done with a dremel? We get my boyfriend's dog's nails done every few weeks and they're fine unless she gets bored and chews them up. Plus, I paint her nails sometimes too, so she's fancy on the cheap.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I guess they might be helpful if you have a dog that's self-traumatising for anxiety/OCD reasons by scratching? They might then decide to focus on their nails though. :downs:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Beck and I got charged by a doe on our walk the other day. There are always tons of deer around, but I've never actually had one charge me. :psyduck: It got within about 20 feet of us before I yelled at it and it veered away into the pines. Beck is certain that we could have caught it if I wasn't such a nerd and had chased after it with her.

edit:

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I guess they might be helpful if you have a dog that's self-traumatising for anxiety/OCD reasons by scratching? They might then decide to focus on their nails though. :downs:

I've seen them used a few times for shelter dogs who were being treated for skin conditions, as a temporary thing. An OCD dog probably would just start eating their own nails, like you said.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 7, 2012

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

paisleyfox posted:

Besides, if you keep up with your dog's nails, shouldn't they be short enough to not even like, clack on the floor? And those would make them grow so long you wouldn't know when you need to trim them.

That's so true, my foster cat has soft paw caps and sometimes they take a long time to fall off.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
All the soft paw talk reminds me of the girl who had just gotten a pug puppy and asked if we declawed dogs because the puppy had sharp nails that scratched her.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

hhgtrillian posted:

All the soft paw talk reminds me of the girl who had just gotten a pug puppy and asked if we declawed dogs because the puppy had sharp nails that scratched her.

Tell her the pug had already been de-faced to keep it from biting things. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, we have hardwood floor which keeps Terra's nails short, they're only a few mm longer than the quick all the time without cutting them, and you can still hear her little feet clattering against the floor when she walks.

It doesn't bug me at all, plus it helps me make sure she's not getting into trouble in places she shouldn't be.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I still don't have very good pictures of the puppy, but here's a bit of video of the little one playing with Riiseli's Naru. Pi makes a brief appearance, since he was confused about the whole situation and didn't quite know what to do about it. Naru is wonderful with puppies, really patient and caring, but she will also teach puppies basic manners in an efficient way. I'm thinking of borrowing her from Riiseli to make my job easier, because she'll enforce house rules very efficiently (no barking inside, nights are for sleeping etc.)
http://youtu.be/gslBbbdxf8g

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff
We had SoftPaws on our old dog Kita. She had back problems that caused her to drag her left hind foot to the point that her middle nails would nearly be worn to the base. They did help keep them from being overly damaged and people seemed to like them when they saw her. :3:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Rixatrix posted:

I still don't have very good pictures of the puppy, but here's a bit of video of the little one playing with Riiseli's Naru. Pi makes a brief appearance, since he was confused about the whole situation and didn't quite know what to do about it. Naru is wonderful with puppies, really patient and caring, but she will also teach puppies basic manners in an efficient way. I'm thinking of borrowing her from Riiseli to make my job easier, because she'll enforce house rules very efficiently (no barking inside, nights are for sleeping etc.)
http://youtu.be/gslBbbdxf8g

I want to hug Naru. Please send her to the US.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow. Shadow. Why do you always have to make a stupid face when there's someone with a nice camera around? :mad:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Shadow. Shadow. Why do you always have to make a stupid face when there's someone with a nice camera around? :mad:

It's shadows way of getting back for being forced to do slave labor. :colbert:

Dogs just have an instinct on the perfect time to make a dumb face. You get out your camera because the dog is looking particularly regal, and BAM! Derpface. It's just how they roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Look at me! Watch me! I'm a pretty pony! :haw:

I don't care how silly he looks, seem like he was having a blast.

• Locked thread