Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

McGlockenshire posted:

The whole 2a/2x/2y thing has to do with some edge case or another.

Backwards compatibility, basically. $2a$ was broken, $2y$ is fixed, $2a$ and $2x$ are for if you need to match against a hash generated by the old, broken $2a$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

McGlockenshire posted:

As long as you manually pick a large enough cost parameter, yes, plain old PHP crypt() will do the job fine:

$hash = crypt('password', '$2y$14$putyoursaltherethanks$');

The 14 here is the cost factor. The higher the cost, the longer it's going to take to generate. An increase of one roughly doubles the time spent.

The whole 2a/2x/2y thing has to do with some edge case or another.

Be sure to RTFM and check the constants before using it.

Putting configuration parameters inside a string like that is a horror.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

McGlockenshire posted:

Be sure to RTFM and check the constants before using it.

Yeah, I read that page; I just wanted to make sure it was indeed using the same bcrypt() as everywhere else, and that the Blowfish variant was the right one. I'll keep that in mind.

Encasing the parameters into the string definitely seems like a horror, though. Why the gently caress would you do that? :psypop:

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

This way you can use the result of crypt() as the salt parameter and get the same result. You read the hashed output from whatever credential store you use (maybe /etc/shadow), pass it to crypt() again and if the result is the same then the key was correct.
And the reason why this isn't stored out of band is UNIX. (In the original implementation, which always used DES, the first two bytes of the result were the salt. So the easiest way to check passwords is just checking that crypt(password, hash) == hash, because crypt only used the first two bytes of the salt parameter anyway. And since everybody did that anyway, allowing for other algorithms was most portably done by using some kind of marker in the salt value.)

Bonfire Lit fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 7, 2012

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if you have some old function that only takes some number of parameters, and you want to add functionality that those parameters are insufficient for, wouldn't the right way to do it be to make a new function that takes more parameters, and then have the old function just transparently keep working the way it always did (either by calling the new function with certain additional parameters, or just by not altering it at all).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Then you would also have had to change the format of the /etc/passwd file, to include another field for password metadata. By keeping the file format and the call interface, old software is still able to read existing passwd files and check the passwords by crypt() calls without knowing about the new algorithms.
It's a quite good solution if you ask me. Sure, if it was a brand new design something else had been prettier, but for a retrofit it's good.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Zamujasa posted:

Encasing the parameters into the string definitely seems like a horror, though. Why the gently caress would you do that? :psypop:
Why not? It means the hashes are portable, not tied to your specific configuration. It also means you can easily upgrade/downgrade hashes on next login (if workfactor < x, upgrade) without needing to be storing metadata about the hashes.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Time for another stupid question: suppose you have a user's stored bcrypt'd password and it is from so long ago that the work factor is unsatisfactory. Can you increase the work factor by some means and then discard the old version, or do you need access to the original password in order to do anything?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I expect that you'll need the original password. You could just wait for the next user login and rewrite it then...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Both PBKDF2 and bcrypt require the original passphrase and salt at each iteration of the stretching function.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
You could rehash the already hashed password.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Just have the affected people update their passwords and use the new work factor. Or just ask what circumstances a low work factor on some passwords would cause actual security issues that aren't totally overshadowed by all the other bad things that would need to happen first.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

McGlockenshire posted:

I expect that you'll need the original password. You could just wait for the next user login and rewrite it then...
The only real negative to this approach is that if a user never logs in again, and there is a breach, their old hashes will still be vulnerable. You'd need to pair it with a system that if the user hasn't logged in after a month/whatever, they're forced to reset their password via email/secret questions and ditch the old hash immediately. That way you can be guaranteed that within a given timeframe all old hashes will either be replaced or removed (pending reset).

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 7, 2012

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I bet you thought you'd seen all the weird coding styles people use. Well, I bet you've never seen semicolons at the start of lines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yaoi prophet posted:

I bet you thought you'd seen all the weird coding styles people use. Well, I bet you've never seen semicolons at the start of lines.

If you're going to come up with a wacky style at least make it so that it inflates your line count!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

yaoi prophet posted:

Haskell programmer found

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

yaoi prophet posted:

This code is why we have perltidy.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004
I love node.js and its whole constellation:
https://github.com/visionmedia/n/issues/86#issuecomment-9215077

quotes from the maintainer of a node packaging system (that's in package managers in on major distributions) on a bug that causes bin, lib, share, and include to be deleted from /usr/local whenever you try to install the latest stable version:

visionmedia posted:

hahahaha good call on thanks giving i just got home. I haven't been reviewing PRs properly for n(1) lately since I don't have much time, if they don't work as advertised, sorry haha, I'd love to have someone else maintain n(1) if anyone is up to it. limbo-merges seem to be digging a grave

visionmedia posted:

well ideally it "just works" and continues to "just work" but it's been slowly more and more messed up as I've merged half-baked patches and node changing conventions etc

visionmedia posted:

yeah it's kinda tough when you have 250+ OSS projects, inevitably some get messed up over time and I merge broken poo poo haha, funny thing is then I get comments like the one guy in here visionmedia/jade#629 trying to make me merge something I haven't properly reviewed and that has low test coverage, at the end of the day every feature or bit of code is something I have to maintain

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

That is pretty depressing to read, mainly because he has written stuff that a large majority of node.js uses such as express.js, jade, and mocha. Must be nice to have the problem of my projects being so popular that he doesn't have time for them, but should let people know that.

Although I honestly never heard of n, always thought nvm was the main one.

Edit: wow, looking at the pull request, I can see how he could miss it but man that sticks out like a sore thumb once you see it.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 8, 2012

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

This isn't a coding horror, but is a bit of a coding related horror.
I'm currently looking for freelance work, and quoted one guy my rate of $80-100.00 per hour, and this is how he responded:

quote:

Unfortunately, the rate you've asked for is entirely out of the range that we're looking to hire someone within (your min $80/hr = $153,000+/year, average software engineer salaries in Canada are $41,000-$80,000/year)

I don't even... :ughh:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Wait, so what does the 'free' in 'freelancer' mean?!"

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I'm currently looking for freelance work, and quoted one guy my rate of $80-100.00 per hour, and this is how he responded:

Wow they're asking for.. $20 - $40 per hour..? :psyduck:

And he's also judging it based on ~2000 hours per year, the average amount of work an American does fulltime, too.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Volte posted:

Haskell programmer found

That was actually invented in the Perl universe.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Jewel posted:

Wow they're asking for.. $20 - $40 per hour..? :psyduck:

And he's also judging it based on ~2000 hours per year, the average amount of work an American does fulltime, too.
It's not uncommon in almost every industry, unfortunately. "If we paid a guy the minimum possible full-time, we'd only be paying him $2000 a month, and since they're just temporary maybe we could pay them even less!".

It's pretty stupid that they scale short-term work up to the cost it would be if they were hired full-time. It should really just be "if I had to buy a product to fix this rather than pay a person, what would that be worth to me" since in the end the result is the only thing that matters.

My name aint Jerry
Sep 4, 2011

Good job with notjerry.org, Not Jerry. Here is not-a-trophy for you.
SQL code:
CREATE TABLE subscriber_access_date (
  id SERIAL,
  id_subscriber INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES subscribers (id),
  id_publication INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES publications (id),
  creation_date TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE DEFAULT NOW(),
  start_date DATE NOT NULL,
  end_date DATE NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (id_subscriber, id_publication, start_date, end_date));
why ?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

My name aint Jerry posted:

SQL code:
CREATE TABLE subscriber_access_date (
  id SERIAL,
  id_subscriber INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES subscribers (id),
  id_publication INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES publications (id),
  creation_date TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE DEFAULT NOW(),
  start_date DATE NOT NULL,
  end_date DATE NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (id_subscriber, id_publication, start_date, end_date));
why ?

Someone doesn't know that Postgres doesn't cluster around PKs?

My name aint Jerry
Sep 4, 2011

Good job with notjerry.org, Not Jerry. Here is not-a-trophy for you.

Zombywuf posted:

Someone doesn't know that Postgres doesn't cluster around PKs?

I'm don't even know if you're saying that having multiple columns in a Primary Key is good or bad. I'm pretty certain that having a column named "id" which isn't a primary key has to be a good contender for worst idea of the year.

I'm quite confident the code that handles this table act as if it is, of course.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

I'm pretty certain that having a column named "id" which isn't a primary key has to be a good contender for worst idea of the year.

Foreign Keys would like to have a word with you.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Wozbo posted:

Foreign Keys would like to have a word with you.

Wouldn't the foreign key have a more descriptive name than 'id'? Unless there was only one table foreign keys could come from I guess... But still.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I'm an idiot and misread and thought he said anything with "id" in it. My bad. On topic: When I do do table pks with id I always call it autoid when I do table design with an auto increment int, dunno why. Is that a code horror?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

I love node.js and its whole constellation:
https://github.com/visionmedia/n/issues/86#issuecomment-9215077

quotes from the maintainer of a node packaging system (that's in package managers in on major distributions) on a bug that causes bin, lib, share, and include to be deleted from /usr/local whenever you try to install the latest stable version:

Didn't NPM have a release that rm -r'ed root a couple years back?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I'm don't even know if you're saying that having multiple columns in a Primary Key is good or bad. I'm pretty certain that having a column named "id" which isn't a primary key has to be a good contender for worst idea of the year.

I'm quite confident the code that handles this table act as if it is, of course.

I think I was assuming it was a workaround for Postgres not having a "create clustered index ..." written by someone who had failed to understand why it doesn't have such a command.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
code:
<td style="padding:0 10px;"><input onclick="return false;" style="margin:0; padding:0;" type="checkbox" <?=$check?"checked":""?>/></td>
A nameless checkbox that uses Javascript to (try) to disable checking instead of just using "readonly"? Mmmmyep. It's a minor thing, but it's just one more instance that this guy doesn't know anything of what he's doing.

:sigh:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

You've got to fire back with those by framing it against the cost of the thing you're building that they'd otherwise pay through a commercial product already on the shelf, a large consulting firm doing it, or the hiring/allocating of in-house employees to handle it. This kind of depends a little on what you're building for him but in most cases you'll be the sweet spot option for them for cost, satisfaction of requirements, and time to delivery.

And yeah if he's comparing your total up front hourly rate to only the salary compensation of hiring a regular employee (perhaps more presuming you're specialized in whatever sub-domain the product falls under) , and extrapolated out a full year of full time work and doesn't see the huge gaps in that logic then he either needs to gain some new perspective of the situation (which can happen a lot) or else it's just a sign that that might be a disaster project to work for because you'll never be able to manage his expectations.

EDIT: Also those canadian salaries look wrong to me, at least the low end isn't realistic from what I've seen and the top end is only that low for junior level fresh out of college type positions.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2012

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This sounds like a challenge to battle, to me. Bargain for great justice!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I know student code is kind of a weak post because all students write bad code, but this is hilarious to me because of the outcome it had.

In my data structures class last week, I made a side comment about how if the only operations you had were push/pop/top for a stack (i.e., no size() method), how would you get the size non-destructively? Well you could pop everything from one stack to another until an exception is thrown, counting as you go, then push everything back onto the original stack and return the count. Not that you should ever do this -- I just wanted to get them to think about how the operations work at a deeper level with respect to the ordering of elements.

Well one student apparently took this advice to heart. As part of his project, he submitted a stack class that uses an ArrayList to store its elements. Instead of having its size() method return the array list's size, it does this:

code:
    public int size()
    {
        int size = 0;
        ArrayList<T> temp = new ArrayList<T>();
        while (1 == 1)
        {
            try
            {
                temp.add(stack.remove(stack.size()-1));
                size++;
            }
            catch (Exception e)
            {
                for (int i = size - 1; i >= 0; i--)
                {
                    stack.add(temp.get(i));
                }
                return size;
            }
        }
    }
The best part? When he submitted the code for grading, the code coverage tool we use (Clover) totally barfed on this. Apparently it doesn't like an infinite loop with a try/catch inside it where the return happens inside the catch and the end of the method is never reached.

I'm tempted to give the student a prize for writing code so bizarre that the instrumentation tool couldn't even figure it out. That takes some effort.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The real horror is the 1 == 1 there.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Flobbster posted:

I'm tempted to give the student a prize for writing code so bizarre that the instrumentation tool couldn't even figure it out. That takes some effort.
I'm a real person and even I can't figure that out. Does it even work? It looks like it'd get to the try {} block and re-call size() without modifying the stack, so it's endless recursion.

Edit; oh, Java, I thought it was C# and stack.size() was his own method.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The best part is how he actually uses stack.size() (I'm assuming "stack" is an ArrayList) in that insane method -- if he knows it exists, why not just return that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Bhaal posted:

EDIT: Also those canadian salaries look wrong to me, at least the low end isn't realistic from what I've seen and the top end is only that low for junior level fresh out of college type positions.

The minimum end is a bit low (I don't know where he got those figures from) but $80,000.00 isn't too inaccurate.

NinjaDebugger posted:

This sounds like a challenge to battle, to me. Bargain for great justice!

I just politely explained that my rate is a freelance rate, not an employed rate, and that my rate is actually below average. Then went on my way.
Pretty sure I dodged a bullet by not working with the guy anyways. Can't even imagine what his work ethic is like if he thinks $80.00 per hour is an unreasonable rate.