Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Stumbling Block posted:

And I swear one of them sold me a dead bird. I know they say it doesn't make a noise making it a perfect pet but seriously...
There's a Monty Python joke here somewhere, but it's so played out that I'll just say the bird does move in its cage somewhat frequently (at least the one I got does) and thus it probably isn't dead.

e: In fact I also thought they had sold me a dead bird at first, I only noticed the movement when I actually checked to see if the thing was alive.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stumbling Block posted:

I finally managed to get level 10 Triad points. Too bad it didn't happen until I fed BSL into the chipper. Ah well.

Btw, is there a map somewhere of all the blackmarketer selling stuff for your apartments? I'd liked to see everything that's avaliable to pad out my cushy homes.

And I swear one of them sold me a dead bird. I know they say it doesn't make a noise making it a perfect pet but seriously...

Here you go;

http://www.primagames.com/games/sleeping-dogs/primaguides/319/gameplay/14231

khazre
May 31, 2008
I recently started playing this game and I really enjoy it. I am having a problem with my ati 7950 and this game though. The game doesn't seem to like overclocking. My video card has stopped working almost every time I have played. I can safely overclock my card to 1000/c 1500/m and have it run just fine with every other game. Anyone else have this problem?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah as far as I can tell pretty much everyone regardless of nVidia or ATI. The game just plain doesn't work with overclocked video cards.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

e: In fact I also thought they had sold me a dead bird at first, I only noticed the movement when I actually checked to see if the thing was alive.

I'll take another look at it the next time I drop by that house. Wouldn't have minded doing the "ex-bird" skit with the vendor if that actually was a dead bird. I already want to track down the guy who sold me the "Ghost Pig" movie poster...

Cool. It's behind the paywall but it's preview already pointed me to a sound system I missed.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Yodzilla posted:

That's what nature looks like?? Neat.

My dad works at Square Enix and they said that they used photos of the real sun to replicate the sun in the game. I love their dedication to the work. :3:

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Really dumb question here, but if I order this game through the Amazon sale this weekend, do they just give me a Steam code and I enter that into Steam and download it?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, though as I preordered through GMG I cannot guarantee that Amazon will give you a Steam code yet -- just that you'll get one because of XCOM: Enemy Unknown being a Steamworks game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

gently caress Class A motorcycle races. gently caress them. gently caress the designer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I can't stop playing this goddamn game. The music is fantastic, the fighting is fun, the story is cool and it has a great mix of being serious and letting you be a complete sociopath with no repercussions which is necessary in an open world game. My only gripe really is that all those "beat up thugs, hack camera, press button on TV" missions are horribly boring and pointless but I want to do them for that sweet XP.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Yodzilla posted:

I can't stop playing this goddamn game. The music is fantastic, the fighting is fun, the story is cool and it has a great mix of being serious and letting you be a complete sociopath with no repercussions which is necessary in an open world game. My only gripe really is that all those "beat up thugs, hack camera, press button on TV" missions are horribly boring and pointless but I want to do them for that sweet XP.

Don't you mean the "run over thugs with a car" missions

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I've started doing that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah I suppose I should state I love everything else about this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It also helps to ignore the arrest part of the sequence until you next have a legit reason to visit a safehouse. The fighting part of the busts is fun, because well fighting. Hacking the cameras only takes a minute. Driving back to the safehouse is the chore part of the deal, so just forget that. You can queue up loads of cameras and do them en masse later. Set up a police XP bonus outfit in your wardrobe before you hit the TV too.

You know it's ridiculous. I've put 75 hours into this game, finishing it twice on two systems. I have tons of other games to play, but I still have to fight the urge to load this up again. I'm forcing myself to wait until some DLC is out though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Drug busts are cool and I wish they would respawn after a while, so that you could redo them whenever you want to clobber a bunch of guys. I guess you can always do the fight clubs, but those don't have any of the environmental attacks. :saddowns:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Drug busts are cool and I wish they would respawn after a while, so that you could redo them whenever you want to clobber a bunch of guys. I guess you can always do the fight clubs, but those don't have any of the environmental attacks. :saddowns:

Yeah this game is really hurting for a fight club that has environmental kills and weapons. And also endlessly respawning guys.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah this game is really hurting for a fight club that has environmental kills and weapons. And also endlessly respawning guys.

Hopefully one of these smaller DLC packs will have something that covers this. It seems like easy content to make, and being able to get into a big fight in the world on a regular basis is something I'd definitely like.

Cierra
Feb 14, 2007
dead

TroubledWaters posted:

Really dumb question here, but if I order this game through the Amazon sale this weekend, do they just give me a Steam code and I enter that into Steam and download it?

Yep. After check out, there's an option to download from Amazon or get a code to activate and download from Steam.

If you were smart and clicked on the first option instead (like me :c00l:) you can always go back to the Games and Software library and grab the code off there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can always redo violent misssions from the social club menu.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

It also helps to ignore the arrest part of the sequence until you next have a legit reason to visit a safehouse. The fighting part of the busts is fun, because well fighting. Hacking the cameras only takes a minute. Driving back to the safehouse is the chore part of the deal, so just forget that. You can queue up loads of cameras and do them en masse later. Set up a police XP bonus outfit in your wardrobe before you hit the TV too.
Just to check, do Face XP-boosters (Massages and outfit pieces) apply to the fighting part of the busts?

Incidentally, I gotta say -- can't say that I actually like the Retro Triad Pack ($2), but I do like that if you get both the Top Dog Gold ($3) and Silver Packs ($2) they collectively take Wei straight to Cop level 7-bordering-on-8, early into Triad level 8, and a good portion of the way through Face level 8 for right-off-the-bat powah once you get the North Point apartment :black101:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Chortles posted:

Just to check, do Face XP-boosters (Massages and outfit pieces) apply to the fighting part of the busts?

Those are two different things. The outfit pieces help you gain extra Face XP, which builds towards unlocking new bonuses as you level up. Any time you are given Face XP the outfit will add to that, though the game gives you so much that frankly it's not an issue.

Massages, on the other hand, help you build up your Face Meter, which is something that only comes into play during combat. Helps speed up the activation of the effect which then activates all sorts of nice bonuses for a few seconds. I normally break the arms and legs of every grappler, just because I can. :black101:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So no point in getting Massages before doing Face missions, just throw on the relevant outfit pieces (that I understand are NOT torso, pants, shoes, only glasses, chains, bracelets, watches) and I'm good on Face missions and the fight part of the bust?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I can't say there's ever a reason not to get a massage. That happy ending buff lasts quite some time, and you never know when the next fight is going to happen. Until you get really comfortable with the combat, and unlock some of the later moves, it's worth having all four buffs active at all times.

It's really hard to go wrong in this game though. Triad XP is the only thing that is hard to get, but on my second playthrough I used the 10% bonus outfit from as early as I could (because I missed the trousers for the 15% outfit and was too lazy to go hunting for it) and I hit level 10 before I ran out of story. Aside from Triad points though, you'll get everything you want just from playing the game any way you like. It's beautifully put together.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Has to be First Sandbox Game that I have enjoyed Race Missions, Who ever handled the driving mechanics deserves a raise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah they're not bad. I like that the cars have weight to them unlike old GTAs but they're definitely not realistic either.

And in regards to the story, I'd like to see a game like this where there's a wedding mission and everyone has a nice time and it's a lovely day. What a twist that would be! :haw:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Overall I've not liked the driving physics, and I am not just exaggerating based on the earlier resentment I expressed over the Class A bike races. Turn radiuses for even compact cars felt awful wide, and the abysmally wide turn radius for a motorcycle while you're just starting to drive seemed absurd to me. 'Reverse' and brakes associated with just hitting reverse felt inadequate, like trying to drive with a car with only half the brake fluid pressure.

High speed driving is pretty fun, and the ballistics of shooting while driving add a reasonable challenge. But, the game still suffers from petty physics engine poo poo like just about every other sandbox city game with cars. Small divots in the road, curbs, and other small annoyances cause physics aberrations that can gently caress you over completely depending on what you're doing. Motorcycles are particularly susceptible to this. I can't really applaud the driving mechanics of Sleeping Dogs over any other city sandbox.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I picked this up for like 20 bucks the other day off Amazon, and am loving it so far. Having a little issue though, and googling didn't seem to turn up much. The audio stutters. A lot. Like it gets drawn out and echo-ey. Dialogue, ambient sounds, road sounds. It isn't every sound, but a lot of them. My FPS seems to be fine, though.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
So, I finished this game about an hour ago.

Why the long reply? Because I just spent the better part of an hour combing London's Chinatown for a pork bun (non-fried).

I was not disappointed.

Activision can eat all the sh**.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I haven't finished the game yet but does anyone else feel that the story kind of peters out at certain points? Right after there's a vicious attack on the wedding and Uncle Po is put in the hospital instead of dealing with any of that you're then tasked with a number of boring missions where you drive celebrities around like nothing happened. And now I think I'm at the end of the game after going on a grenade launcher rampage during the funeral and digging up Jackie and now I guess we're back on Big Smile Lee, ground I feel like the game has tread multiple times over

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I think the game was just trying really hard to show you the entire Triad experience, so you jump around from being a low-level thug to running a nightclub to showing around VIPs to doing business meetings, and all the while is trying to balance a Hong Kong Cinema storyline between it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp, just beat it. I gotta say, that ending was neat and brutal and fun but a bit abrupt. So throughout the game did the 18k actually do anything at all or were they just bogeymen used by Big Smile Lee and other warring bosses as an excuse to hide their own attacks and betrayals? And I guess Two Chin just kind of disappeared into a heroin induced oblivion? Why isn't there Old Salty Crab DLC available??

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah they're not bad. I like that the cars have weight to them unlike old GTAs but they're definitely not realistic either.

And in regards to the story, I'd like to see a game like this where there's a wedding mission and everyone has a nice time and it's a lovely day. What a twist that would be! :haw:

:cry: Winstooooon! Peggy! (even though I only met you one mission ago!)

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yodzilla posted:

Welp, just beat it. I gotta say, that ending was neat and brutal and fun but a bit abrupt. So throughout the game did the 18k actually do anything at all or were they just bogeymen used by Big Smile Lee and other warring bosses as an excuse to hide their own attacks and betrayals? And I guess Two Chin just kind of disappeared into a heroin induced oblivion? Why isn't there Old Salty Crab DLC available??

I figured the 18k were all the random thugs you spend a lot of your time beating up, and quite a few of the side missions and favours seem to name them as the opposition.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I beat this game yesterday and even though they were telegraphing Jackie's death a mile a way with the whole "I'm done with this! I'm out!" stuff it's still bumming me out. I was REALLY hoping that they would surprise us and have him just leave and not get horribly murdered but welp... Most of the others I didn't care too much about since they were horrible killers or sex traffickers in one way or another but he was just a nice guy that idolized gangster culture based on where he grew up and didn't really understand what it entailed then died partly because he was loyal to his friend.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yodzilla posted:

As I recall, Pendrew was supplying the 18k with weapons and support in order to instigate a gang war that the police could then sweep in and clear out the gangs.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
How much more do I have of the main plot left? I just finished the whole attack on uncle po in the hospital.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 10, 2012

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Your spoilers are broken and to answer your question, on the stats page it will tell you how many main story missions are completed out of the total.But probably like 2/3 or so? Give or take

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

How much more do I have of the main plot left? I just finished the whole attack on uncle po in the hospital.
A bunch. That's a quarter of the main story, if that.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

rizuhbull posted:

A bunch. That's a quarter of the main story, if that.

18/30 main story missions specifically it turns out. Of course that still leaves plenty of other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm kinda mad at the ending of Sleeping Dogs. For all of the poo poo Wei gives Pendrew about being corrupt, the actions that I as the player took controlling Wei were way worse than anything Pendrew did. I must have caused hundreds of millions of dollars of damage, dozens of civilian fatalities, who knows how many cops blown up in rammed cars that don't count as killed for some reason and injured an uncountable number of people. But after all of that all we get of Wei is some introspection and a little nod from Teng that Wei is more loyal to the Triad than the police? I guess what I'm saying is that if any game needed multiple endings based on the player's actions it would be this one.

e: i also like the mission where you get a gun for the first time and act all worried about having to kill someone after gleefully shoving traid faces into fans and electrocuting them and who knows what else. i think the engine crane was the best

:black101:

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread