Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

McNally posted:

I think they changed it so that Title 32 orders count. However, ADT time, such as AT, still does not.

Correct. Title 32/10 time counts just fine.

I feel bad for dudes doing 90 days AT and getting the shaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Vasudus posted:

Active Duty for Training does not count.

edit: Generally speaking the only time that will count is either for-real AD time or deployments.

I'm pretty sure ADOS orders count towards CH33 benefits.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Vasudus posted:

Correct. Title 32/10 time counts just fine.

I feel bad for dudes doing 90 days AT and getting the shaft.

Don't feel too bad. Eighty-nine days of per-diem, cash money.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Wow, wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago.

I've been out of the military for a little over 5 years now, and was on active duty for just a little under 13 years. I never had my medical record reviewed by anyone on the way out, received very little by way of separation/transition assistance, and am only recently learning of the service-related stuff I should probably be receiving disability for. Is it too late for me to pursue this with any hope of success? I have two major (and very well-documented in my medical record) issues that still plague me to this day, along with a few other minor things, and a lot of people I've been talking to lately seem to think I'm exhibiting symptoms of PTSD as well.

All of these issues are things that affect my job, my family life, and my overall socialization to varying degrees. I certainly don't believe that money would make any of that go away, but if I'm entitled to any care and/or compensation, I'd sure like to investigate it. I'm just not sure it'll be worth the trouble, and thinking about it kicks the ol' anxiety up about a hundred points.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Acid Reflux posted:

Wow, wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago.

I've been out of the military for a little over 5 years now, and was on active duty for just a little under 13 years. I never had my medical record reviewed by anyone on the way out, received very little by way of separation/transition assistance, and am only recently learning of the service-related stuff I should probably be receiving disability for. Is it too late for me to pursue this with any hope of success? I have two major (and very well-documented in my medical record) issues that still plague me to this day, along with a few other minor things, and a lot of people I've been talking to lately seem to think I'm exhibiting symptoms of PTSD as well.

All of these issues are things that affect my job, my family life, and my overall socialization to varying degrees. I certainly don't believe that money would make any of that go away, but if I'm entitled to any care and/or compensation, I'd sure like to investigate it. I'm just not sure it'll be worth the trouble, and thinking about it kicks the ol' anxiety up about a hundred points.

Nope its not too late to get anything going and it most definitively is worth the trouble. I would get in touch with your County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO) and a Veteran Service Organization (VSO) like the DAV, VFW, Legion and the like. They will walk you through the process.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Acid Reflux posted:

Is it too late for me to pursue this with any hope of success? I have two major (and very well-documented in my medical record) issues that still plague me to this day, along with a few other minor things, and a lot of people I've been talking to lately seem to think I'm exhibiting symptoms of PTSD as well.

It's never too late, so go put in that claim!

And it's not just about the money, service connection opens the doors to education benefits, health care, hiring preferences, and possibly even tax breaks from your state government.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I actually just submitted an application to the VFW a few days ago, so I will definitely get in touch with them to see about getting some help. It's time to get off my rear end and address some of this stuff. I appreciate the replies, thanks to both of you!

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Acid Reflux posted:

I actually just submitted an application to the VFW a few days ago, so I will definitely get in touch with them to see about getting some help. It's time to get off my rear end and address some of this stuff. I appreciate the replies, thanks to both of you!

Have you been to the local VA to seek treatment?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Wooty posted:

Have you been to the local VA to seek treatment?

I haven't. To be honest I've largely avoided contact with anyone or anything related to the military since I got out. Not entirely rational, I know (and that's one of my problems,) but it's just the way it's been. It's only been very recently that I've started to feel like I might be able to deal with it all.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Acid Reflux posted:

I haven't. To be honest I've largely avoided contact with anyone or anything related to the military since I got out. Not entirely rational, I know (and that's one of my problems,) but it's just the way it's been. It's only been very recently that I've started to feel like I might be able to deal with it all.

This would be a symptom of an disorder you developed in the military. Sounds to me like they should be providing you with assistance.

:)

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone appealed their disability rating? I'm trying to figure out how long I should expect this to take.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Anyone appealed their disability rating? I'm trying to figure out how long I should expect this to take.

A year and a half and counting. In the letter I received acknowledging receipt of my appeal, they talked about poo poo I never said in my letter such as appointing the American Legion to represent me.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

McNally posted:

A year and a half and counting. In the letter I received acknowledging receipt of my appeal, they talked about poo poo I never said in my letter such as appointing the American Legion to represent me.

Did you have the option for a DRO review before going to appeal? How long did that take?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
How long does it usually take for meds to be delivered? Should I be worried that I'm coming up on two weeks since the prescription was input and I've received nothing yet?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

FooGoo posted:

How long does it usually take for meds to be delivered? Should I be worried that I'm coming up on two weeks since the prescription was input and I've received nothing yet?

Yeah that seems like a long time duder idk i'd ask

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

FooGoo posted:

Its no more then 5 days for my meds.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FooGoo posted:

Did you have the option for a DRO review before going to appeal? How long did that take?

If I did, nobody told me about it. So I guess it was pretty quick?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Just got rated 50% which I didn't expect more than 20-30% so I guess I am pleasantly surprised. Only took about 22 months to get my decision.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So I'm going to be doing a re-evaluation instead of an appeal. Is the going length on that about the same as an appeal?

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I was recently told by a rep at the West LA VA that an appeal in Los Angeles area should take approximately 600 days.

Also, if you are doing mental health, the ratings are grouped at 30%, 50%, 70%, 100% to get other ratings (for example 40%) it has to be a mixture of other stuff that could be considered physical added on to your mental. To be rated 100% mental health, you have to be in very bad shape.

Wooty fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 14, 2012

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Wooty posted:

To be rated 100% mental health, you have to be in very bad shape.

Really? I thought all it takes was going AWOL in Kyrgyzstan to get an abortion.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

That would be a great TV movie

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wooty posted:

That would be a great TV movie

Next, on Lifetime...

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Spongebob Tampax posted:

So I'm going to be doing a re-evaluation instead of an appeal. Is the going length on that about the same as an appeal?

I am doing the same and would like to know as well. Are we talking months? Or years as with typical appeals?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm going to see a VFW rep tomorrow. When I spoke to him the other day on the phone he said re-evals are taking 4-5 months now, sometimes they're done a little quicker.

Also, everyone and their mothers are recommending the VFW around here (locally, not of the forum) instead of DAV. I used the VFW the first time through when I got out, they had my paperwork pushed through rather quickly, so I can't see a reason not to use them again. Going to get a membership this time around so I can go get hammered for cheap down at the hall.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

FooGoo posted:

I am doing the same and would like to know as well. Are we talking months? Or years as with typical appeals?

If you disagree with a decision, but you don't have any additional evidence to support your claim, file a notice of disagreement and start your appeal.

Current practice (at least for those veterans currently within the paperless processing sites retained jurisdiction, if you originally filed a claim under the BDD program or if you send your information to either Salt Lake City or Winston-Salem. This comprises a large portion of veterans separating within the last 7 or so years) is that if a veteran submits a statement saying "I want my claim reconsidered, I think you got it wrong," without indicating 1: that something actually was done wrong or 2: that there is new evidence specifically on point that would cause the decisionmaker to change their mind, then the previous denial will in all likelyhood just be confirmed and continued.

Something important to remember is that you don't automatically get more than one de novo (meaning that someone is going to look at everything like it was new) at any of the levels of review. In order to get a de novo review after a decision has been made, you need to move it up the review process by filing an appeal.

A request for reconsideration is not a method of just saying I don't agree but don't want to take the time to file an appeal. It's saying "hey, I forgot to turn this in the first time, please reconsider my claim in light of this new information which you did not have previously." or "I missed my examination because I was PCSing. I am now able to attend my examinations, please schedule me for one."

So that said, a reconsideration and an appeal are fundamentally different processes. If you provided everything that would have been pertinent the first time around and you didn't like the decision, a reconsideration is not likely to change the result. Once you file the appeal, you're entitled to a new full review by a highly experienced decision maker and you're provided with additional procedural options allowing for a better chance to provide information to support your claim, including an in-person hearing with the decisionmaker to go over your claim.

The length of time it takes is going to depend on the office. In some offices, a request for reconsideration is treated the same as any other claim, so if it took you 18 months to get your initial decision, it will likely take 18 months to get a decision on your reconsideration as well. Appeals can be quicker because their offices can have a smaller case load at the regional office level and I have seen situations when a notice of disagreement (the first step of an appeal) can be resolved before the regional office has even had the opportunity to look at the request for reconsideration.

As a note, the only times that appeals really become lengthy is when they go to levels outside of the jurisdiction of your local regional office, such as when they're sent to the board of veteran's appeals or the court of appeals for veteran's claims. In those instances, it's not unusual to take up to 4 years to get an appeal decided by an administrative law judge. But compared to the time line of most civil appeals in federal courts, this is a fairly reasonable time frame.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Found this: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/exams/index.htm

It's a list of the examination types, and pdf files of what is checked during C&P exams. Might be helpful to a few people.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
https://www.vaforvets.va.gov

The website explains it better than me but apparently some federal jobs hit this website first. They comb through their resume database, pick some that fit the requirements and send them to the hiring manager.

They also offer resume coaching and other poo poo. It's worth a look if you're in the job hunt.

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

https://www.vaforvets.va.gov

The website explains it better than me but apparently some federal jobs hit this website first. They comb through their resume database, pick some that fit the requirements and send them to the hiring manager.

They also offer resume coaching and other poo poo. It's worth a look if you're in the job hunt.

u still dont have a job?? drat i figured ur dashing good looks would have landed u something by now

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Hello helpful Goons,

After December 12, 2012, I will have 25 days left of eligibility left on my chapter 30 GI Bill education benefits. I plan to attend school for the Spring 2013 semester, and my benefits/entitlement will obviously expire before the end of the semester, so my question is it possible for the VA to extend my benefits and keep paying me at my rate until the end of the semester?

Sorry if this was already discussed and I annoyed any of you.
V/R Dennis

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Why haven't you switched over to Chapter 33?

Don't worry, we annoy ourselves here.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dennis4167 posted:

Hello helpful Goons,

After December 12, 2012, I will have 25 days left of eligibility left on my chapter 30 GI Bill education benefits. I plan to attend school for the Spring 2013 semester, and my benefits/entitlement will obviously expire before the end of the semester, so my question is it possible for the VA to extend my benefits and keep paying me at my rate until the end of the semester?

Sorry if this was already discussed and I annoyed any of you.
V/R Dennis

The VA will pay your remaining semester at the rate that has already been established. In your case, that would be CH30.

At the conclusion of this, your CH30 benefits will be exhausted. However, you may apply for an extension which will grant you CH33 time. Since you will be extending your CH30 to get the rest of this semester paid for, the time would be (12 months - extension time), as you are allowed 48 months of benefits at the absolute maximum.

So extend and end up using 38.5 months of CH30, for example, leaves you with 9.5 months of CH33 when that is exhausted.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Spongebob,

I don't believe I am eligible for chapter 33 because I only served 9 months and 16 days of active duty and was discharged separation authority MILPERSMAN 1910-120 and separation code JFV. I was awarded 9 months of education benefits because I received an honorable character of service though. Obviously I am not an expert on this, would you have some answers?

Thank you,
Dennis

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ah, no, you're right. Or at least right as far as I know. It's just unusual to hear someone say they're under MGIB these days. Circumstantial, I suppose.

E: You've been here 4.5 years and you sign your posts?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dennis4167 posted:

Spongebob,

I don't believe I am eligible for chapter 33 because I only served 9 months and 16 days of active duty and was discharged separation authority MILPERSMAN 1910-120 and separation code JFV. I was awarded 9 months of education benefits because I received an honorable character of service though. Obviously I am not an expert on this, would you have some answers?

Thank you,
Dennis

http://gibill.va.gov/documents/pamphlets/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

9 months of service would rate you at the 50% range. Chances are it's still better than the MGIB. Once you finish CH30, you should apply for CH33. Regardless, you would still be paid for the remainder of the semester under MGIB.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008

Vasudus posted:

http://gibill.va.gov/documents/pamphlets/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

9 months of service would rate you at the 50% range. Chances are it's still better than the MGIB. Once you finish CH30, you should apply for CH33. Regardless, you would still be paid for the remainder of the semester under MGIB.

Vasudus,
Do you know if the VA automatically continues paying me until the end of the term or if there is a specific form I have to send to them before my chapter 30 benefits expire? In other words, is any specific action required on my part? And I will follow your advice and apply for CH33 once I exhaust all my chapter 30 benefits, my only concern is that I may have a VA Overpayment situation if I receive chapter 33 benefits that I am not entitled to.

Thanks a lot,
Dennis

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

srsly stop signing ur posts

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dennis4167 posted:

Vasudus,
Do you know if the VA automatically continues paying me until the end of the term or if there is a specific form I have to send to them before my chapter 30 benefits expire? In other words, is any specific action required on my part? And I will follow your advice and apply for CH33 once I exhaust all my chapter 30 benefits, my only concern is that I may have a VA Overpayment situation if I receive chapter 33 benefits that I am not entitled to.

Thanks a lot,
Dennis

If you're not eligible you won't receive a certificate of eligibility. Without that, your benefits cannot be processed. So you shouldn't have to worry about an overpayment situation.

The extension should be automatic - the VA will send a letter stating that although your benefits are exhausted, they will continue to cover you for that semester. If for whatever reason they don't send this letter, you can request it from the VA. They're not always on top of sending out proper notifications (surprise, surprise!) so just be aware this letter should be sent out at some point. It should arrive approximately 3-5 weeks after you've been certified for the Spring 2013 semester.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Sorry - I'll stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's just unusual, around here at least. We all know who you are (as far as we're concerned) since your username is already <---- of your post.

I'll stop making GBS threads up the bennies thread now.

• Locked thread