Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
What type of new content is it? Is it just dungeons? Or are there cities with new quests and factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

What type of new content is it? Is it just dungeons? Or are there cities with new quests and factions?

All of the above. Except factions though, I think; I'm not 100%. I never got too far into the Tamriel Rebuilt content. But all the other stuff definitely.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Upmarket Mango posted:

All of the above. Except factions though, I think; I'm not 100%. I never got too far into the Tamriel Rebuilt content. But all the other stuff definitely.
There are 'mainland' versions of the various factions (when you join them half the ranks of the Vvardenfell version carries over, so a Knight of the Imperial Dragon in the Legion would only be a Champion or some such).

There are mainland versions of every faction, including the Great Houses, and I believe Indoril and Dres will be joinable when further maps are released.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
What is Tamriel Rebuilt? What is Tamriel Rebuilt?

It's a mod you should install and never play without. You should load it even if you never planning on going there. It'll give you something to stare at when you're standing on the beach.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Hell, go there even if you don't plan on going there. Port Telvannis, Necrom, Firewatch, Kemel-Ze. All are fantastic. The whole mod is fantastic. It's pretty much the unofficial third, fourth, and fifth expansion just by how much content there is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Noted. Is there anywhere specific I should download it? I've done a bit of googling and I found something called Sacred East but I'm not entirely sure if that's what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kaubocks posted:

Noted. Is there anywhere specific I should download it? I've done a bit of googling and I found something called Sacred East but I'm not entirely sure if that's what I'm supposed to be looking for.

There are currently three chapters in the Tamriel Rebuilt series. They team is doing it in parts because the whole thing would take forever to release as a single package. The Sacred East is the name of the most recent chapter, but it's all you need to get everything released so far.

Here is the official download which, as I said, contains both Sacred East and the two earlier chapters.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Sacred East is the most current release. http://tamriel-rebuilt.org will give you the list of official mirrors and the like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I am still patiently awaiting Tamriel Rebuilt to be completely finished before reinstalling Morrowind and all of the graphical mods and then wasting away the next several hundred hours of my life.

So in about 10 years. :suicide:

Kaubocks posted:

All you need is Sacred East, which is all three of the released maps so far.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Al! posted:

Are you changing the resolution in the installer or just trying to change it in game? Because for custom resolutions you need to change it in the installer.

I'm changing it in the installer, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I should be changing it in the MGE XE part, right?

What currently happens is the game becomes a borderless 1280x720 window in the middle of my screen, with the bottom part obscured by my taskbar. This happens regardless of whether or not I hit windowed mode or fullscreen mode.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

delta534 posted:

Is getting MGSO 3.0 and Oggumogoggum's mod compilation working together just a matter of not installing the graphical portion of Oggumogoggum or is there anything else I need to do.

I wouldn't try to install two compilations at once. You are bound to get a ton of mod conflicts. I know as far as my compilation goes, all of the mods were hand-picked to conflict as little as possible when used together, but I can't guarantee that they will work with any other mod or combination of mods, especially since I haven't tried (or even looked into, really) MGSO.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm changing it in the installer, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I should be changing it in the MGE XE part, right?

What currently happens is the game becomes a borderless 1280x720 window in the middle of my screen, with the bottom part obscured by my taskbar. This happens regardless of whether or not I hit windowed mode or fullscreen mode.

Here's what I found on the official forums but it requires you to be comfortable editing your registry:

quote:

In any case, try to change yourself the value from the registry.
from the start menu click "run"
type "regedit" and click ok
go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind
in the right window set the parameters "screen width" to 1920 and "screen height" to 1080
this should fix the problem for you

edit: to your own resolution, of course.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Also, goons installing Tamriel Rebuilt: Do yourself a favor and get the MGE-X groundcover mod for Tamriel Rebuilt: http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/41626

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Al! posted:

Here's what I found on the official forums but it requires you to be comfortable editing your registry:

edit: to your own resolution, of course.

I gave this a shot but the only folder in Wow6432Node is Microsoft. Is this because I have the steam version, maybe?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

delta534 posted:

Is getting MGSO 3.0 and Oggumogoggum's mod compilation working together just a matter of not installing the graphical portion of Oggumogoggum or is there anything else I need to do.

I just did this and it seems to be working fine. I skipped all of the files in /patches/ and /replacers/ and then went through the /installers/ and dropped all of the graphic ones and morrowindpatch. The only other thing I had to do was dl particle arrow replacer and install the area effect arrow fix to make the particle arrows included with MGSO work with the area effect arrows in oggum's. Be sure to sort your load order with mlox, make a mashed patch, and rebuild the distant land through MGSO options (or MGEXEgui if you want to tweak the details).

So far I haven't run into any problems but I haven't played too much since I'm still tweaking my mods and the graphics settings.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

MGSO doesn't appear to want you to install anything on top of it, but I actually installed IT on top of my existing installation of mods, and it worked just fine. Except for the fact it enabled every single one of my mods, including older versions, compatibility patches for mods I didn't have, and the like.

Granted, I'm not as mod-heavy as some people (TR, Julan, LGNPC, and utility mods), but as long as you don't overwrite any files when you install other mods, you should be fine.

Of course, I have 11 years experience dealing with mods, so if you're new, you may just want to take it slow and not start dumping mods in.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Oggumogoggum posted:

I wouldn't try to install two compilations at once. You are bound to get a ton of mod conflicts. I know as far as my compilation goes, all of the mods were hand-picked to conflict as little as possible when used together, but I can't guarantee that they will work with any other mod or combination of mods, especially since I haven't tried (or even looked into, really) MGSO.

I expected conflict, of which most seems to be in the esp names. I'm probably going to pick some gameplay mods from your pack and see what breaks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You definatley don't want to run Oggumogoggums pack and MGSO at the same time, I think.

However, if you stick to adding gameplay/content mods post-MGSO, you should be fine.

Like this MGEX distant light mod:

http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/42165

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

That looks pretty. How much of a performance hit is it? I'm kinda borderline with my setup right now.

Also there is a broken link in the OP in the getting wrye mash to work section. It has an old fileplanet link for the stand alone installer. There is a working link up top in the steam section (http://download.fliggerty.com/download-58-141).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm using it on the "Good" MGSO preset (Core Duo, GTX 285, 8 gigs ram)

I don't see any real slowdown, but it does force MGEX to render distant objects, which may cause slowdown if your computer can't handle it.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

LtSmash posted:

Also there is a broken link in the OP in the getting wrye mash to work section. It has an old fileplanet link for the stand alone installer. There is a working link up top in the steam section (http://download.fliggerty.com/download-58-141).

Fixed.

Also, sorry I haven't been around much the past few days. I had a pretty big deadline yesterday and thinking straight is still a bit of a chore. I'll probably get MSGO 3.0 installed and put all the recommended mods in the OP in the next few days (plus some experiments with MSGO and Ogg's megapack which I keep putting off). I'm planning on doing a major reorganization of the OP once the game experience mod gets released.

In other news, I was downloading Nifskope a couple months ago in preparation for making a mod I've been putting off forever, remembered that I had the V-Ray Demo installed, and wondered what would happen if I threw a few Morrowind assets at it. Here is my first result:

For the terrain, I used a command line tool I found called TESAnnwyn, which can read .esm files and create a heightmap from them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright, two questions.

1) Can I disable the horrible depth-of-field effect I'm getting from MSGO 3.0 somewhere? I look a little bit over a person's shoulder and their face gets blurry and it's driving me crazy.

2) Is Hand-to-Hand even useable in this game? Normally I play unarmed in Bethesda games but I just had a punching match with the first bandit in the first cave outside of Seyda Neen and it took absolutely forever though I think I was missing with most of my punches. It doesn't do damage unless they've fallen over due to lack of fatigue, right? Even then I eventually just whipped out a bow and shot her in the face.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Alright, two questions.

1) Can I disable the horrible depth-of-field effect I'm getting from MSGO 3.0 somewhere? I look a little bit over a person's shoulder and their face gets blurry and it's driving me crazy.

2) Is Hand-to-Hand even useable in this game? Normally I play unarmed in Bethesda games but I just had a punching match with the first bandit in the first cave outside of Seyda Neen and it took absolutely forever though I think I was missing with most of my punches. It doesn't do damage unless they've fallen over due to lack of fatigue, right? Even then I eventually just whiGed out a bow and shot her in the face.

1) Yes, go to where morrowind is installed, run MGEXEgui. click on shader setup, double click on DOF in the active shader list, click save and close out of MGEXEgui.

2) I don't think so without modding and or checking the optional strength based hand-to-hand damage option in the morrowind code patch setup.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Kaubocks posted:

If you want a little bit of DoF you can edit the shader and just reduce the blur value. Open MGEXEgui > shader setup > editor > open > Depth of Field.fx and find the line
code:
static const float blur_radius = 0.283; // base blur radius;
And change the 0.283 to a smaller number. I found .200 to be a nice value where it was noticeable but not annoying.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
So aside from graphical improvements, what do people recommend in terms of gameplay tweaks or stuff that just makes the game better/more fun to play? Tamriel Rebuilt and Less Generic NPCs both seem to come pretty highly recommended, so I'm picking those up, but looking over the OP I don't really see much else along those lines aside from BTB's mod and the leveling changes. Are there other things I should be looking out for or is that basically it?

Also, for LGNPC, should I just get the combined download off the project website or do I need to pick up the Nerevarine/Tribunal/Bloodmoon mods off Planet Elder Scrolls too? The descriptions on PES say that they're not "official" yet, but I don't know how up-to-date that is.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 6, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
So I'm trying to install Oggum's megapack of mods and just jump into the game. The readme says to use them in Wrye Mash, but when I open the installers tab it's empty, even though I've copied them into the Morrowind folder.

EDIT: Nevermind, the Mods directory on Wrye Mash was incorrect in the Settings. My bad, I've never really modded any game before.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 6, 2012

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Looks like you missed a ] when fixing that link Musical_daredevil. Also the construction set link in the 3rd post still points to tesnexus instead of http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/29388 Thanks for all the resources in the OP.

Opposing Farce posted:

So aside from graphical improvements, what do people recommend in terms of gameplay tweaks or stuff that just makes the game better/more fun to play? Tamriel Rebuilt and Less Generic NPCs both seem to come pretty highly recommended, so I'm picking those up, but looking over the OP I don't really see much else along those lines aside from BTB's mod and the leveling changes. Are there other things I should be looking out for or is that basically it?

Also, for LGNPC, should I just get the combined download off the project website or do I need to pick up the Nerevarine/Tribunal/Bloodmoon mods off Planet Elder Scrolls too? The descriptions on PES say that they're not "official" yet, but I don't know how up-to-date that is.

LGNPC is amazing both in scope and quality. The latest combined pack is rather old so you will still have to get the Nerevarine/Tribunal/Bloodmoon ones too.

A leveler mod is really to taste. Alternately you could get something like this that makes you get at least +3 for an attribute if you gain at least 1 skill point for it. I wouldn't recommend using one that gives +5 all the time since you will turn into a demi-god that much faster.

You might be interested in Creatures X or the NX9 creatures mod which I think are compatible with each other if you merge the leveled lists.

There's also the Thief experience overhaul which makes makes some good changes to that aspect of the game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

What level is recommended for exploring the area that Tamriel rebuilt adds?

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I have a Ati 3470M with 256MB RAM, 4 gigs of RAM and a duo P8400 with 2,27ghz

What kind of graphical mods would you recommend for me?

e: neverwind, the new mgso takes care of all things.

What gameplay mods do you guys recommend? I plan on getting Tamriel rebuilt for shure. What else?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 7, 2012

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Man Whore posted:

What level is recommended for exploring the area that Tamriel rebuilt adds?
You can explore as soon as Level 1. TR seems to keep it consistent with Vvardenfell as best as they can.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Boner Slam posted:

I have a Ati 3470M with 256MB RAM, 4 gigs of RAM and a duo P8400 with 2,27ghz

What kind of graphical mods would you recommend for me?

e: neverwind, the new mgso takes care of all things.

What gameplay mods do you guys recommend? I plan on getting Tamriel rebuilt for shure. What else?

For gameplay - pretty much everything here - http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html

Tamriel Rebuilt, Less Generic NPC mods, and maybe a leveling fixer like GCD.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Well, I finally managed to get MSGO 3.0 installed, despite the fact that so many things went wrong. Half of it was my laptop mysteriously forgetting that it had a discrete graphics card and the other half was me suddenly realizing that my expansion disks are hundreds of miles away, meaning I couldn't uninstall and reinstall Morrowind before adding the new version.

The reason why I'm telling you this is because it means that installing MSGO 3.0 on top of a 2.0 installation is a viable (if risky) option. If you don't want to go through the tedious process of getting a clean install before adding 3.0, you don't need to. There's the obvious "this is just my experience, yours may be different" disclaimer and I wouldn't really recommend doing it this way, but it's possible.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Here's kind of an odd, specific request: Are there any mods that change how knocking people unconscious with HTH works? I like the idea of rolling through a cave or whatever and punching bandits out Batman-style instead of outright killing them, but the way everyone gets back up and keeps fighting even after they've been knocked down just makes the whole fatigue damage mechanic kind of terrible and pointless.

e: Another thing- I'm interested in the edited Better Music System mod from

Gyshall posted:

For gameplay - pretty much everything here - http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html
but the soundtrack it comes with was hosted on MegaUpload. Is that still around somewhere or am I going to have to stick with the original/dig around in the Construction Set to build a new set of tracks?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 8, 2012

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Well, I finally managed to get MSGO 3.0 installed, despite the fact that so many things went wrong. Half of it was my laptop mysteriously forgetting that it had a discrete graphics card and the other half was me suddenly realizing that my expansion disks are hundreds of miles away, meaning I couldn't uninstall and reinstall Morrowind before adding the new version.

The reason why I'm telling you this is because it means that installing MSGO 3.0 on top of a 2.0 installation is a viable (if risky) option. If you don't want to go through the tedious process of getting a clean install before adding 3.0, you don't need to. There's the obvious "this is just my experience, yours may be different" disclaimer and I wouldn't really recommend doing it this way, but it's possible.

I installed it on top of a heavily modded Morrowind, complete with the Code Patch and a prior version of MGE XE, and it worked fine.

I THEN nuked Morrowind's folder, reinstalled cleanly, and installed the overhaul on top of a clean Morrowind (as it had asked), because Morrowind was horrendously unstable.

Still isn't working properly. I'm not sure if it's because of MGEXE (I had only previously been using MGE) or something else, but it's not standard Morrowind unstable, it's 'crash every 5 minutes' unstable.

Anyone have any thoughts? If this keeps up I may disable MGEXE as an experiment, and if that settles it, revert to MGE.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Sky Shadowing posted:

I installed it on top of a heavily modded Morrowind, complete with the Code Patch and a prior version of MGE XE, and it worked fine.

I THEN nuked Morrowind's folder, reinstalled cleanly, and installed the overhaul on top of a clean Morrowind (as it had asked), because Morrowind was horrendously unstable.

Still isn't working properly. I'm not sure if it's because of MGEXE (I had only previously been using MGE) or something else, but it's not standard Morrowind unstable, it's 'crash every 5 minutes' unstable.

Anyone have any thoughts? If this keeps up I may disable MGEXE as an experiment, and if that settles it, revert to MGE.

MGEXE has been much more stable than MGE in my experience, not sure what could be causing your crashing :( You could try disabling say 5 of MGEXE's features and see if that improves the problem, and then re-enable them one by one.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Tufty posted:

MGEXE has been much more stable than MGE in my experience, not sure what could be causing your crashing :( You could try disabling say 5 of MGEXE's features and see if that improves the problem, and then re-enable them one by one.

I disabled MGEXE (in-program), still crashed. Checked its log, saw it still injected the MWSE, tried it with that disabled, still crashed.

The problem doesn't appear to be MGEXE, which means its with the Overhaul itself, which makes me sad.

Only thing left for it now- reinstall (again) and see if my save works without it. :(

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I downloaded MGSO and it installed fine. I'd never run into any framerate problems using previous mods on my older computer (Core 2 Duo 3 ghz/8800GT) but this one runs about 10-12 fps once I leave the ship at the beginning. If I make those shader changes in the OP, should that do it, or will I need to perform additional surgery? Game looks phenomenal so I don't want to change too much but obviously I can't play at 10 fps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dunbar posted:

I downloaded MGSO and it installed fine. I'd never run into any framerate problems using previous mods on my older computer (Core 2 Duo 3 ghz/8800GT) but this one runs about 10-12 fps once I leave the ship at the beginning. If I make those shader changes in the OP, should that do it, or will I need to perform additional surgery? Game looks phenomenal so I don't want to change too much but obviously I can't play at 10 fps.

It's difficult to say since you haven't said what your settings or specs are. It'd be preferable for you to go ahead and follow the various advice in the OP and let us know if it doesn't improve your FPS.

Know this, though: You probably won't get the game running at the FPS you think it should be running at, even if you're on some sort of megadork gaming rig. It's an old game and it's not written to take advantage of newer PC components like multi-threading CPUs or large amounts of RAM. Places like Seyda Neen and Balmora are places where the FPS drops for virtually everyone. If you can get a stable 35-40 FPS out of the game while maintaining some eye candy, consider yourself good.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I have a Core 2 Duo 3 ghz CPU and an 8800 GT videocard. 4 GB RAM. I did a standard MGSO install, letting it choose the settings. I went into MGEXEgui and turned off shaders entirely, and it only gave me a 3-5 fps boost, so I'm guessing there is a lot more to be done with the other settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dunbar posted:

I have a Core 2 Duo 3 ghz CPU and an 8800 GT videocard. 4 GB RAM. I did a standard MGSO install, letting it choose the settings. I went into MGEXEgui and turned off shaders entirely, and it only gave me a 3-5 fps boost, so I'm guessing there is a lot more to be done with the other settings.

Oh, by "older computer" I thought you meant your previous experience on another PC. If shaders aren't impacting performance, try this (I posted this a while back.)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A few more things I've discovered, which are especially relevant to laptop players:

The more recent versions of MGE-XE (I'm currently on 0.9.8) have quietly introduced a new lighting system that is turned on by default. This lighting method--while occasionally more impressive than the system it is aiming to replace--uses a much more demanding pixel-based algorithm. If you're getting a lower framerate than you think you should be getting, do yourself a favor and macro-map a few keys (use MGE-XE to do this) to do the following things:

1. Toggle Lighting System
2. Toggle Shaders
3. Toggle Grass
4. Toggle Shadows

For lighting systems, you have the option of flipping between "Standard Dynamic Lighting" and "New Dynamic Lighting." On my laptop, I've gained about 6-8 FPS by rolling back to Standard Dynamic Lighting.

Being able to toggle Grass will help you determine if you're drawing grass too dense in LOD generation. As has been mentioned before, mods like Vurt's Groundcover can really impact performance at higher (80-100%) densities. Toggling shaders will show you if your shader chain is too demanding (obviously) and is a lot less tedious than exiting and starting Morrowind up over and over.

Finally, Shadows: This is MGE-XE's big draw, but it's worth seeing what you gain by canning shadows, especially since this is the only way to opt out of the program's impressive dynamic shadows. Similar to the New Dynamic Lighting, I observed a significance increase in performance by disabling shadows.

In conclusion, by rolling back to the old lighting system (little cost in visual quality) and shadows (variable, sometimes significant cost in visual quality) I have gained about 12-15 FPS, and have been able to continue using MGE-XE's other features like shaders, gorgeous water, and higher performance LOD rendering.

Basically, the new lighting system can really impact performance, especially on an older GPU like yours. I don't usually like disabling shadows (it's a big draw of using MGE-XE and they look great) but they can hurt your performance. The instructions I posted should be able to set you up so you can toggle these things, on-the-fly, without having to exit the game. That way you can try different combinations and see where the performance sinks are.