Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zwabu posted:

Can anyone who is a fan of the original Far Cry recommend me a game that has a similar gameplay feel?

I'm mainly thinking of the levels where you fight the human mercenaries, not the Trigen monsters. One of my favorite things in shooters is using sniper weapons, but I also really liked using the silenced MP5 semiauto weapon and sneaking around killing enemies with quiet bursts.

I really liked the way the character movement felt in that game, with crawling around, lying flat, leaning out to shoot etc., and the fact that there were some big open levels that you could tackle different ways - stealth creeping, sniper rifle, balls out assault weapon etc.

Are there any more recent shooters that have similar gameplay?

Also, any kind of good cooperative shooter recommendation would be nice, not sure if the new Borderlands 2 game would fit the bill for my friend and I.

Far Cry 2 and the original Crysis are definitely up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Are there any (preferably free) rpgs out there similar to ocarina of time for the pc? Like somewhat free roam and not too complex but fun. Been having trouble trying to figure out what game to play lately.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good tactical style strategy game, like company of heroes? Relic made another game: Dawn of War 2, but i really didn't think it was as good. I'm just horribly bored with Starcraft style RTSs.

You could read up on World In Conflict and Wargame: European Escalation. Both are Cold War gone hot games, but WiC is very slick and story/massive artillery & air support focussed while W:EE is probably more tactical (for the single player of both anyway, I've not really tried them multiplayer). Both are really great fun though and worth picking up. Neither have base building/tech trees (although you unlock more units/upgrades in W:EE by winning SP or MP matches) so if that's your thing, sorry.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You could read up on World In Conflict and Wargame: European Escalation. Both are Cold War gone hot games, but WiC is very slick and story/massive artillery & air support focussed while W:EE is probably more tactical (for the single player of both anyway, I've not really tried them multiplayer). Both are really great fun though and worth picking up. Neither have base building/tech trees (although you unlock more units/upgrades in W:EE by winning SP or MP matches) so if that's your thing, sorry.

I'm seconding Wargame: European Escalation. If you like that you could also try R.U.S.E. a WWII tactical game by the same people.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

6EQUJ5 posted:

Ageod's Strategy Collection: Battles of 1750-1918

You get three games in that pack, Birth of America, WWI and American Civil War and they're all very grand strategy.

So much so in fact that Paradox bought Ageod back in '09.

e: spelling.

The WW1 game was made in the AGE engine, but not by AGEOD themselves. It's a cumbersome game at best.

I would recommend the Strategic Command WW1 game that just had an expansion released. It covers a couple of dozen scenarios from WW1, including the eastern and western fronts, and even has an African campaign.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Far Cry 2 and the original Crysis are definitely up your alley.

Okay thanks guys, I'll check these out.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

The WW1 game was made in the AGE engine, but not by AGEOD themselves. It's a cumbersome game at best.

I would recommend the Strategic Command WW1 game that just had an expansion released. It covers a couple of dozen scenarios from WW1, including the eastern and western fronts, and even has an African campaign.

Ah, I did not know this existed. Probably best to go with this suggestion!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Are there any strategy games out there that deal with decolonization or postcolonial states? I'd love to play something like Total War or a Paradox game set in 20th century Africa or India.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kellsterik posted:

Are there any strategy games out there that deal with decolonization or postcolonial states? I'd love to play something like Total War or a Paradox game set in 20th century Africa or India.

You mean a strategy game which focuses on the victims of European hegemony rather than the perpetrators? :lol: If you find one let me know!

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

This is a pretty broad request and I might have simply beaten all the games that I'm describing. I tried posting this in another thread a few months ago but didn't get replies. I also know Dishonored is a good answer for this, and I am going to be playing it, but I need more!

I'm looking for anything that covers the sneaking spectrum of games, or sniping (including bows), but it has to be on PC. This could be anything from futuristic military sneaking to fantasy-style. Bonus points if it's an RPG. The thing is, I have a problem playing games from the lovely 3D era of 98-03ish so preferably something that's not that dated in terms of graphics.

I'll give examples of games I've played that cover this, but it's a lot. If I simply name a game without a number after it, I've probably played everything in the series. Maybe I've just run out: Elder Scrolls, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Thief, NOLF, Dark Messiah of M&M, Fallout 3/NV, Alpha Protocol, Sniper Elite, Metro 2033 (this is an example of a great game with lovely stealth though), Deus Ex/HR, MGS (those PC ports are bad), Mass Effect series (bad example), Divinity II, etc so on and so forth.

I think I'm tapped out :(

So maybe a double recommendation of something KOTOR I/II style of RPG? I haven't tried Jade Empire..

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I'm looking for games that store all the spoken dialogue in a menu somewhere or with a text scroll. Games that are examples of this are Baldur's gate games with scrolling text box and Deus ex where the conversations were stored in the menu. I'm trying to get more comfortable with Spanish so language support is a plus!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

RoryGilmore posted:

This is a pretty broad request and I might have simply beaten all the games that I'm describing. I tried posting this in another thread a few months ago but didn't get replies. I also know Dishonored is a good answer for this, and I am going to be playing it, but I need more!

I'm looking for anything that covers the sneaking spectrum of games, or sniping (including bows), but it has to be on PC. This could be anything from futuristic military sneaking to fantasy-style. Bonus points if it's an RPG. The thing is, I have a problem playing games from the lovely 3D era of 98-03ish so preferably something that's not that dated in terms of graphics.

I'll give examples of games I've played that cover this, but it's a lot. If I simply name a game without a number after it, I've probably played everything in the series. Maybe I've just run out: Elder Scrolls, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Thief, NOLF, Dark Messiah of M&M, Fallout 3/NV, Alpha Protocol, Sniper Elite, Metro 2033 (this is an example of a great game with lovely stealth though), Deus Ex/HR, MGS (those PC ports are bad), Mass Effect series (bad example), Divinity II, etc so on and so forth.

So maybe a double recommendation of something KOTOR I/II style of RPG? I haven't tried Jade Empire..

Have you tried the Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City?

And Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Have you tried the Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City?

Yeah, I knew I was going to forget to mention some of my obvious favorites :( I think if it was an AAA stealth title released in the past 4-5 years or so, I've probably played it. And yes I've played Vampires. (And before anyone says it, Assassins Creed games aren't really stealth and I don't like them)

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

RoryGilmore posted:

Yeah, I knew I was going to forget to mention some of my obvious favorites :( I think if it was an AAA stealth title released in the past 4-5 years or so, I've probably played it. And yes I've played Vampires. (And before anyone says it, Assassins Creed games aren't really stealth and I don't like them)

How about Chronicles of Riddick? Pretty cool game and it's got stealth.

And maybe Amnesia: Dark Descent? FarCry 2. Maybe both of the Risen games, and I'm tapped.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

How about Chronicles of Riddick? Pretty cool game and it's got stealth.

And maybe Amnesia: Dark Descent? FarCry 2. Maybe both of the Risen games, and I'm tapped.

Chronicles of Riddick and Arkham Asylum/City are pretty much my two favorite stealth games (although you can make the argument they aren't perfect). It's pretty funny that I forgot to mention both, but yeah, it's a great game.

I really disliked FarCry 2 and didn't get far into it, Amnesia isn't really what I'm looking for, but Risen looks pretty cool! I'll check it out, thanks.

VV Ahh I started that out and then had to format and forgot about it. I should really get through it, thanks.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 8, 2012

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

RoryGilmore posted:

Chronicles of Riddick and Arkham Asylum/City are pretty much my two favorite stealth games (although you can make the argument they aren't perfect). It's pretty funny that I forgot to mention both, but yeah, it's a great game.

I really disliked FarCry 2 and didn't get far into it, Amnesia isn't really what I'm looking for, but Risen looks pretty cool! I'll check it out, thanks.

I remembered one more. Nehrim. It's a total conversion for Oblivion. Completely new game, but it uses the Oblivion engine. It's really hard, german voices, but really well done.

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Are there any simple PC strategy games like "Great Little/Big War Game". By that, I mean turn-based, few unit types, and no build trees that make me have nightmares of being back in college and trying desperately to memorize biochemistry pathways.

Also, I would like a pony.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's Unity of Command but it's very hard, at least IMO.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RoryGilmore posted:

It's not out for a couple days yet, but Dishonored is suppposed to be a stealth based game heavily inspired by Thief and Deus Ex. Rockpapershotgun just posted a positive, if somewhat incoherent review of it.

As for older stuff, the first Crysis really encourages stealthy play. You might consider trying some of the Silent Hill games too. While they aren't focused on stealth, you have to avoid monsters as ammunition is very scarce. It's a similiar dynamic to the zombie levels in the first Thief.

E: Stalker would also fit the bill. Lots of sniping as the game progresses.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 8, 2012

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

RoryGilmore posted:

Have you played E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy?

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

6EQUJ5 posted:

Seconding this for ridiculous Frenchness.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's not out for a couple days yet, but Dishonored is suppposed to be a stealth based game heavily inspired by Thief and Deus Ex. Rockpapershotgun just posted a positive, if somewhat incoherent review of it.

As for older stuff, the first Crysis really encourages stealthy play. You might consider trying some of the Silent Hill games too. While they aren't focused on stealth, you have to avoid monsters as ammunition is very scarce. It's a similiar dynamic to the zombie levels in the first Thief.

E: Stalker would also fit the bill. Lots of sniping as the game progresses.

Yeah I mentioned Dishonored in my post, I'm really looking forward to it. I really love the first Crysis, but once it turned from stealthily killing humans to killing aliens, I started to dislike it (same with MGS4 once it turned into gunning down an overabundance of robots). And I've played all 3 STALKERs, but never really found sniping viable in them much until it was too late.

6EQUJ5 posted:

I've tried it a few times, but I've never gotten past the first hour mark or so. It's way confusing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RoryGilmore posted:

Yeah I mentioned Dishonored in my post, I'm really looking forward to it. I really love the first Crysis, but once it turned from stealthily killing humans to killing aliens, I started to dislike it (same with MGS4 once it turned into gunning down an overabundance of robots). And I've played all 3 STALKERs, but never really found sniping viable in them much until it was too late.

Haha, woops!

Sounds like you have the genre pretty well covered. Have you played any of the Ghost Recon games? They consist almost entirely of sniper battles. You're dead in seconds if spotted in the open, so a big part of the game is planning an approach that lets you catch enemies off guard, preferably from a long way away.

The most recent one, Future Soldier devolved into a 3rd person cover shooter, but the rest are good.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 8, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

RoryGilmore posted:

I've tried it a few times, but I've never gotten past the first hour mark or so. It's way confusing.

Give it another shot, IMO. The story is wacky and a bit hard to decipher but the gameplay itself is not nearly as complicated as it looks. It's made of things you already understand.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

RoryGilmore, I'm just getting into Crysis after recommendations from this thread and I think you'll like it. It's also recent enough that it doesn't look like poo poo, it looks good. I really enjoyed Far Cry which preceded it which had really awesome stealth play (creeping around with a silenced MP5 and infrared vision killing baddies with quiet 3 round bursts), and so far Crysis seems to be good in the same vein.

Not sure how bad Far Cry would look on a modern system but I'm half tempted to reinstall it and give it a whirl.

Edit: I just read your comment on having played Crysis. Yeah I figure I'll have the same issue, I loved killing mercs in Far Cry but really didn't enjoy fighting the mutant monsters at all. Fighting marine/merc types in Half Life was by far my favorite part of that game, too.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Yeah I guess I finished most of the genre. I thought I was tapped out a few months ago, then someone recommended dark messiah on a whim and it was exactly what I was looking for, so I just figured I'd try asking a bigger audience.

I've played far cry 1, but can't really get into 2. I have not tried ghost recon (except for the newest one for about an hour, but the gameplay wasn't my thing, for the reasons you said), and will check the older ones out. And EYE again.

Thanks for the recs!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Hello thread, I've had a lot of time on my hands recently due to medical things and I've been filling in the hours with games. Recently I've had a hankering for strategy games (although I kinda suck at them), in particular RTS. I remember playing Command and Conquer a lot when I was younger, and in particular I loved Red Alert 2. So recently when I got Red Alert 3 in the Summer Sale I was very disappointed. It's not a bad game per se, just doesn't feel like the C&C I knew and loved.

So short of buying the First Decade somewhere and just playing RA2 again, are there any other RTS that can fill that gap? Although any other strategy recommendations are welcome as well, I got gifted Rome: Total War from a goon and liked it a lot, so much that I bought Medieval II. I just bought Company of Heroes too and am looking forward to playing it, but something tells me I'm going to miss the resource gathering.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
If you can handle the... Lesser graphics, grab the original Dawn of War + expansions. They are great fun and feel good to play.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Company of Heros still has resources. You just don't need the gatherers.

You can also pick up (not certain if this still holds true) C&C Tiberium Dawn (the first one) and C&C Tiberian Sun (the second one) for free as freeware downloads.
They were free for some time, I'm not sure if they still are.

And if you were considering it, avoid the fourth one like it is a plague bearing rat. That thing was an abomination apon man.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 9, 2012

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

tehsid posted:

If you can handle the... Lesser graphics, grab the original Dawn of War + expansions. They are great fun and feel good to play.

I can totally handle the lesser graphics, I'll really take any suggestions so long as they aren't pre-1995 or so. I'll have to check that out, didn't realize that was a RTS, my eyes kind of glazed over whenever I saw the Warhammer title. Although did I just miss these on sale? I think I did :(

Also, thank you again for Rome: Total War!

Schlesische posted:

Company of Heros still has resources. You just don't need the gatherers.

You can also pick up (not certain if this still holds true) C&C Tiberium Dawn (the first one) and C&C Tiberian Sun (the second one) for free as freeware downloads.
They were free for some time, I'm not sure if they still are.

And if you were considering it, avoid the fourth one like it is a plague bearing rat. That thing was an abomination apon man.

Oh, huh. Well then Company is next on my "to play" list.

It seems like they are still free, there is even an html5 version of Tiberium Dawn! That's pretty cool, those take me way back when my brother and I would play those at our uncle's house at a point where my parents decided that we had too many violent games/toys. Good times.

And yeah, after RA3 I looked up reviews of the other games in the series and was even more disappointed. EA :argh:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

Hello thread, I've had a lot of time on my hands recently due to medical things and I've been filling in the hours with games. Recently I've had a hankering for strategy games (although I kinda suck at them), in particular RTS. I remember playing Command and Conquer a lot when I was younger, and in particular I loved Red Alert 2. So recently when I got Red Alert 3 in the Summer Sale I was very disappointed. It's not a bad game per se, just doesn't feel like the C&C I knew and loved.

So short of buying the First Decade somewhere and just playing RA2 again, are there any other RTS that can fill that gap? Although any other strategy recommendations are welcome as well, I got gifted Rome: Total War from a goon and liked it a lot, so much that I bought Medieval II. I just bought Company of Heroes too and am looking forward to playing it, but something tells me I'm going to miss the resource gathering.

Have you had a look at R.U.S.E.? It's a World War Two set RTS with an interesting extra mechanic.

You might also enjoy:-

Wargame: European Escalation - by the same people that made R.U.S.E
Empire: Total War
Napoleon: Total War - This and Empire if you liked Rome/Medieval Total War
Men of War: Assault Squad - This is similar to Company of Heroes
and World in Conflict

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Logan 5 posted:

Hello thread, I've had a lot of time on my hands recently due to medical things and I've been filling in the hours with games. Recently I've had a hankering for strategy games (although I kinda suck at them), in particular RTS.
Some very solid recommendations up there already, but I would like to add Supreme Commander to the list.
It's pretty much in the opposite end of the scale spectrum from Company of Heroes, as you'll be commanding enormous armies of giant robots, building defensive lines of dozens of house-sized gun batteries and shooting humongous artillery shells across the entire map. All that with an amazingly slick UI that makes managing it all delightfully easy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Thanks for the Crysis recommendation, everyone, it's exactly up my alley, basically the same interface and feel of Far Cry with updated graphics that still look really nice, and nice sneaky play (even a cloak mode!).

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Recommend me an older game that can run on a lovely laptop that is online co op with 3 players that is able to be networked over Tunngle/hamachi/gameranger. I am looking for a game to play online with three friends. Redalert1.com has been great but quickly growing stale. Any other recommendations in this same vein that can be played through online co-op with relatively little networking hassle?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Are there any games that are more psychological than anything else? Things that come to mind are Facade, Diplomacy, and EpicMafia. They can be both multiplayer or singleplayer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Recommend me an older game that can run on a lovely laptop that is online co op with 3 players that is able to be networked over Tunngle/hamachi/gameranger. I am looking for a game to play online with three friends. Redalert1.com has been great but quickly growing stale. Any other recommendations in this same vein that can be played through online co-op with relatively little networking hassle?

Ditto this but anything coop really. Particularly shooter or adventure type. L4D is good but I couldn't really get my friend into it. I got Borderlands 2 but there's something about the cartoonish tone of it that I find kind of annoying, perhaps I should give it a chance. Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 looks fun though.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

The older Anno games are good for this, but they are not action oriented at all.

Have you tried and of the mods that give Doom 1 and 2 some really crazy coop modes? I THINK they are call ZDoom and SkullDoom... I think the last one is wrong. Check the 2.5d thread here (on my mobile, so I can't link you, sorry)

What about Diablo or Torchlight 2?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Ditto this but anything coop really. Particularly shooter or adventure type. L4D is good but I couldn't really get my friend into it. I got Borderlands 2 but there's something about the cartoonish tone of it that I find kind of annoying, perhaps I should give it a chance. Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 looks fun though.

Portal 2 for two players.

Again, I'd say Torchlight 2 because it is loving fantactic.

Try Payday - The Hiest. Its a L4D like...ish, but you rob banks/all sorts of stuff. Its great fun with 4 friends. That may also be good choice for the guy I quoted above.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are there any games that are more psychological than anything else? Things that come to mind are Facade, Diplomacy, and EpicMafia. They can be both multiplayer or singleplayer.
The Penumbra trilogy is pretty psychological. It is a horror game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

You might like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on the Gamecube. Your character has an insanity meter, and as it gets low the game is more likely to actively gently caress with you, doing things like turning off your TV or turning the volume down incredibly low, among other things that I wouldn't like to spoil.