Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
This turned into a pretty good thread. Thanks Ian!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Ian McLean posted:

Seriously go gently caress yourself man. What do you think this thing is: https://class.coursera.org/algo-2012-002/class/index

loving sick of negativity from stupid mother fuckers that don't even know what they are talking about.

Go gently caress yourself. Tired of being mocked by people here. Statpedia was doing just fine without all you mother fuckers giving me a hard time.

You all need to just play this video over and over again until your brain melts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs Then after you watch that video, consider the concept of embracing positive constructive feedback.

You loving people are just bringing negativity in my life that I do not need. Someone mentioned bipolar... well no I am not bipolar. Being on these forums is like someone just constantly jabbing you in the side with a sharp stick. Just loving jabbing and jabbing and jabbing you in the side. This is the point where I snap, and say gently caress off.

When I am not on here, just expect me to be learning and researching stuff like this: http://www.dwavesys.com/en/dev-tutorials.html so that I will continue to stay ahead of the game. gently caress you and your primitive algorithms.

I will be a billionaire. Statpedia is the most beautiful search engine on the market. Search results are displayed on search for anyone to see without even having to click on anything, and time is only going to make this display better. Statpedia is first class. And when the statpedia code is reused with a landing page showing a different logo than "Statpedia", this search engine will be the foundation for any niche search topic on the internet.

Then, once there is all these micro niche search engines for varying topics, I can bring them all together for the macro search, and make more money than Google because my search is better, more intelligent, more beautiful, and cleaner.

So go gently caress yourself man. I need to afford my $50 million dollar house in Laguna Beach before the age of 30 or my entire life on this planet is loving worthless.

Just for the record... there isn't anywhere nicer on this planet in terms of weather, food, beautiful women, and nice stuff than Orange County and some parts of North County San Diego. UCI is in my opinion the best campus in Southern California. I can go anywhere for school. I am not surrounded by ghetto LA scum like USC. I loving hate LA. They are trash and full of fakeness. UCSD... I loving hate eucalyptus trees. Those things just pollute their poo poo everywhere. I might as well be living in India or China going to UCSD with all those lovely eucalyptus leaf droppings everywhere comparable to people letting their children poo poo on the streets.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012/one-hundred-under-fifty That's right... UCI is ranked 4th in the world, and best in the country for universities under the age of 50.

If I want to go to Stanford... I don't even have to apply to Stanford. How? Here is one possibility: Nicely say to someone that I want to study at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, and it is probably not much more than filling out a few documents and being in good academic standing. Then... if I am up at Stanford, all I have to do is show that I am likable and competent to right person, and I am in their school (IF I WANT TO GO THERE). Not that Statpedia isn't interesting enough on its own to probably get me in Stanford; even if they do not see the full vision. Where did the previous director of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center get his PHD from in Elementary Particle Physics? UCI.

Time management? I have set up Statpedia in such a way where it runs itself. I hardly have to lift a finger leaving my schedule completely open so that I can do whatever I want while it continues to grow in size and scope. Even now with what has been developed, the amount of statistics entered into statpedia 50 years from now is incomprehensible. There is a statistic for every possible thing on this planet. How many cats are in your neighborhood, how many fruits and vegetables the average person ate in 1952, if you look around your room I am sure you can see something that you can make a statistic out of. The foundation has now been established so that anyone in the world can upload a statistic of anything thinkable.

Even if I do not know everything, I will continue to hire and work alongside intelligent people to get things where they need to be.

It won't be brains that get me there, I can assure you that. Who earns the big bucks and why? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59-C4hZJ8o

I will be at the top of the food chain whether or not anyone chooses to acknowledge so.

For all of you who have been nice to me along the way, I say thank you, and apologize for this post.

R.I.P. Ian on shitstarter forums. Peace.
can i have this in stat form

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:psypop:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mods namechange posted:

can i have this in stat form

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

:drat:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Step 1: create table
Step 2:
Step 3: I will be a billionaire

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
How long until Ian replies using the puppetmaster defense

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Also Stanford's masters program is a degree mill, nice to see you have such a passive-aggressive desire to go there lol

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

turns out this kickstarter wasn't worthless after all

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:holymoley:

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
posting from the glodmine

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

Go gently caress yourself. Tired of being mocked by people here. Statpedia was doing just fine without all you mother fuckers giving me a hard time.
ive always found it really easy to brush off inaccurate criticism. if you're taking it to heart, it's pretty clear you think there's some validity to it.

Ian McLean posted:

When I am not on here, just expect me to be learning and researching stuff like this: http://www.dwavesys.com/en/dev-tutorials.html so that I will continue to stay ahead of the game. gently caress you and your primitive algorithms.
it's like watching a newbie writer who knows that experienced writers 'break the rules' but without understanding that they've got to have an extraordinary reason for doing so and comes away with the false learning of "break all rules"

there isn't a general purpose quantum computer on the horizon. there's a multi-billion dollar industry with the regular ones where several of us are gainfully employed, but go ahead man, pin your hopes on something with literally no chance of being usable in your lifetime. that way, when you fail, it won't be Your fault

Ian McLean posted:

I will be a billionaire. Statpedia is the most beautiful search engine on the market. Search results are displayed on search for anyone to see without even having to click on anything, and time is only going to make this display better. Statpedia is first class. And when the statpedia code is reused with a landing page showing a different logo than "Statpedia", this search engine will be the foundation for any niche search topic on the internet.

Then, once there is all these micro niche search engines for varying topics, I can bring them all together for the macro search, and make more money than Google because my search is better, more intelligent, more beautiful, and cleaner.
google isn't making money because of the *quality* of their search results anymore. they're doing it through the business sense of understanding advertising. which, despite being a worthless ideas guy, you're still clueless about.

Ian McLean posted:

If I want to go to Stanford... I don't even have to apply to Stanford. How? Here is one possibility: Nicely say to someone that I want to study at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, and it is probably not much more than filling out a few documents and being in good academic standing. Then... if I am up at Stanford, all I have to do is show that I am likable and competent to right person, and I am in their school (IF I WANT TO GO THERE). Not that Statpedia isn't interesting enough on its own to probably get me in Stanford; even if they do not see the full vision. Where did the previous director of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center get his PHD from in Elementary Particle Physics? UCI.
i literally have a degree from Stanford. I've been to SLAC and they honestly don't hold the kind of sway on the admissions department that you've imagined, nor do failed statistics websites have a place on the application. so go ahead and tell yourself you don't want to go there. because you never will, and your strategy of preemptively denying that want is your only fuckin hope for getting your ego out of this one unbruised

i think your ego could stand some bruising, if only to get a little self-awareness into that thick skull

Ian McLean posted:

Even if I do not know everything, I will continue to hire and work alongside intelligent people to get things where they need to be.
intelligent people see through vacuous wastes of enthusiasm like yourself. if anyone decides to align their cause with yours it should cause unease as they're literally too stupid to tell what a failure you are

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

graph posted:

posting from the glodmine

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
some real negative nancies in here

i'm guessing you all are just mad you didn't make billions off of a # of cats per neighborhood search engine

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
and it seems to me you lived your life like a wireframe in the wind

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ian McLean posted:

really, we've been the only ones paying attention

Ian McLean posted:

the concept of embracing positive constructive feedback.

:ironicat:

quote:

[x] obsession over newest 'revolutionary technology'
[x] decrying the current knowledge

quote:

[x] delusions of importance 'being the next google'

quote:

srsly

quote:

So go gently caress yourself man. I need to afford my $50 million dollar house in Laguna Beach before the age of 30 or my entire life on this planet is loving worthless.

your value system seems to be hosed up, if a $50m house is what you need to make your life worthwhile.

quote:

Just for the record... there isn't anywhere nicer on this planet in terms of weather, food, beautiful women, and nice stuff than Orange County and some parts of North County San Diego. UCI is in my opinion the best campus in Southern California. I can go anywhere for school. I am not surrounded by ghetto LA scum like USC. I loving hate LA. They are trash and full of fakeness. UCSD... I loving hate eucalyptus trees. Those things just pollute their poo poo everywhere. I might as well be living in India or China going to UCSD with all those lovely eucalyptus leaf droppings everywhere comparable to people letting their children poo poo on the streets.

current music: *angry*

quote:

It won't be brains that get me there, I can assure you that. Who earns the big bucks and why? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59-C4hZJ8o

I will be at the top of the food chain whether or not anyone chooses to acknowledge so.

For all of you who have been nice to me along the way, I say thank you, and apologize for this post.

sorry we all don't think you're the next steve jobs. good luck finding a new audience for your ego.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
hang on just need to finish my point by point analysis of this guy's nervous breakdown

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
final crank/victor/sperglord scorechart

[X] overstatement of own ability, understatement of acknowledged experts
[ ] invents new terminology for things
[X] rarely acknowledges problems, or useful advice.
[X] cherry picks quotes to reply to points they're interested in arguing
[X] conversation consist of them explaining the same point over and over again
[X] software is to provide a structure for information in the world
[X] completion of said project is major part of life goals.
[ ] fundamentalist beliefs

6/8 good job.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Pissflaps posted:

hang on just need to finish my point by point analysis of this guy's nervous breakdown
same

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
how many cats are depressed? am i alone

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

tef posted:

final crank/victor/sperglord scorechart

tjis project could really really do with some of victor's meticulous attention to detail and straightforward approach.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Ian McLean posted:

Seriously go gently caress yourself man. What do you think this thing is: https://class.coursera.org/algo-2012-002/class/index

loving sick of negativity from stupid mother fuckers that don't even know what they are talking about.

You all need to just play this video over and over again until your brain melts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs Then after you watch that video, consider the concept of embracing positive constructive feedback.

You loving people are just bringing negativity in my life that I do not need. Someone mentioned bipolar... well no I am not bipolar. Being on these forums is like someone just constantly jabbing you in the side with a sharp stick. Just loving jabbing and jabbing and jabbing you in the side. This is the point where I snap, and say gently caress off.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012/one-hundred-under-fifty That's right... UCI is ranked 4th in the world, and best in the country for universities under the age of 50.

Time management? I have set up Statpedia in such a way where it runs itself. I hardly have to lift a finger leaving my schedule completely open so that I can do whatever I want while it continues to grow in size and scope. Even now with what has been developed, the amount of statistics entered into statpedia 50 years from now is incomprehensible. There is a statistic for every possible thing on this planet. How many cats are in your neighborhood, how many fruits and vegetables the average person ate in 1952, if you look around your room I am sure you can see something that you can make a statistic out of. The foundation has now been established so that anyone in the world can upload a statistic of anything thinkable.

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

JawnV6 posted:

i literally have a degree from Stanford. I've been to SLAC and they honestly don't hold the kind of sway on the admissions department that you've imagined, nor do failed statistics websites have a place on the application. so go ahead and tell yourself you don't want to go there. because you never will, and your strategy of preemptively denying that want is your only fuckin hope for getting your ego out of this one unbruised

i think your ego could stand some bruising, if only to get a little self-awareness into that thick skull

also lol @ applying to a graduate school based solely on the fact that a few phds got rich, instead of looking for a good advisor or lab doing research in a field he actually cares about. like he's interested in qc/qit and could maybe get into maryland, which would be a lot more impressive to anybody who knows enough to give a poo poo about his degree. but no, stanford is better. stanford is so much better that he's spinning his tires at a university he doesn't want to attend on the long shot that it might impress someone who can't help him anyway, all on the hopes that he can study one of the few computer science fields represented by their 57 faculty. not that any of them would condescend to teaching some tool who doesn't care enough about their area of research to have learned the fundamentals while still an undergraduate.

"I want to go to harvard or oxford because they are the most famousest and the most hardest to get in" - things literal 13 year old girls say and think.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol at actually having $9.95 less than before your fundraising attempts

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
so ian, were you in your senior year of college, the realization that the joyride was nearly over hanging heavy in your mind, when you were smoking pot with some cs guy who couldn't help but tell you how the cs world is all about big data revolutionizing everything?

because i'm trying to come up with some other scenario that leads you to pursue a masters in a field where you're literally taking freshman courses because you literally know nothing about it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Milkie Galore posted:

hey man, gotta spend money to make money

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Milkie Galore posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ian McLean posted:

/

:drops mic:

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
it was the $1 that broke you wasnt it ian

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

statpedia is kickstarting the digital r:evil:ution

Techokami
Nov 13, 2007

For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems.

Vicas posted:

so ian, were you in your senior year of college, the realization that the joyride was nearly over hanging heavy in your mind, when you were smoking pot with some cs guy who couldn't help but tell you how the cs world is all about big data revolutionizing everything?

because i'm trying to come up with some other scenario that leads you to pursue a masters in a field where you're literally taking freshman courses because you literally know nothing about it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
just loving lol @ this dude

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

please come back ian i know your there :(

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the road to glory is paved with broken MBAs

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what even happens to these failed ideas guys after they fade from the spotlight

suicide? depression at a middlin' tier job? that crimson haze guy actually managed to accept his flaws after getting helldumped to h*ck in games

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

ian....

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

just a butt posted:

what even happens to these failed ideas guys after they fade from the spotlight

i think it begins with "p" and ends with "arent's basement."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre