Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Pikes were also heavily used in the (unsuccessful) Irish Rebellion of 1798 and Kościuszko Uprising of 1794. In the latter a Polish force consisting largely of pikemen won a battle against a similarly sized force of Russian regulars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The game's implementation of pikemen is very poor. They're not even good at melee combat and all their special abilities are basically broken.

If they were implemented properly, they'd have some limited uses in the very early game.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Actually as Britain I had some success sending my pikemen overseas to fight the native americans, since the colonial troops at the beginning have horrible aim and no bayonets.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Maybe I was lucky, but going back to my French campaign, I was attacking a Venetian army of equal strength to mine and slammed two groups of pikemen into their flanks. The bastards not only managed to take out half of the enemy's army but were still standing strong by the end of the battle. Not bad for cannon fodder, I might say.

I'll still give my current campaign a shot, but I might just take everyone's suggestion and start as mainland faction. I'm still expanding, but it seems like regardless of how many territories I'm taking, I'm starting every turn with less and less money. I also think I made a mistake of not developing my navy early on as I'm now struggling to open of trade lines due to constant harassment from pirates and full stacks of enemy navies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flippycunt posted:

Actually as Britain I had some success sending my pikemen overseas to fight the native americans, since the colonial troops at the beginning have horrible aim and no bayonets.

Yeah, but plug bayonets are three turns away at the start with most nations man.

Also, I'm going to add they looking jarringly ugly compared to everything else too. Pretty sure they had uniforms.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, but plug bayonets are three turns away at the start with most nations man.

Also, I'm going to add they looking jarringly ugly compared to everything else too. Pretty sure they had uniforms.

:shrug: They're already built, might as well use them for something.

That and in Darthmod the native americans are terrifying killing machines that bulldoze my poor conscripted farmers into the dirt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fair enough.

Are they fixed now and actually use their pikes though?

I forgot to mention they used to be broken too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah I think so. I usually position them and set them to "star formation" and they form a blob and point their pikes out in every direction, and the native americans have a hard time getting through their walls of spears.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

It's a known issue that I'm assuming will never get fixed, but you're right that it's related to pathfinding. That's gotta be the most annoying Empire bug for me. I've had sieges drag out for an eternity because I was too stubborn to quit.

There's a no forts mod that fixes the problem in a throwing-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater sort of way. Then again, the siege battles in Empire are a seriously ugly baby anyway, so you might be better off.
So I assume Napoleon has the same problem with forts? I don't really like fort battles anyway so if there is a no forts mod for that too, I'll have to remember to grab it. No problems in S2/FOTS though with sieges even though it's on approximately the same engine?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fort Battles on Napoleon are very unlikely as you'll encounter only a handful of (thankfully good looking) forts.

They show in Shogun 2 and FOTS.

19th century artillery takes care of them though easily.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If I remember correctly there aren't any fort battles in Napoleon. When a city is attacked the defenders get some buildings they can garrison or whatever, but for the most part its still an open map.

Way better than Empire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The issue with fort battles in Empire is that they never loving ended.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

If I remember correctly there aren't any fort battles in Napoleon. When a city is attacked the defenders get some buildings they can garrison or whatever, but for the most part its still an open map.

Way better than Empire.

I came across several in the earlier campaigns, a nation can still build them but only a handful of cities have them now.

Empires whole Siege gameplay was worked on for about a week. The loving basic stone forts textures are an eye sore to behold ugh.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I sit them behind my artillery to guard from cavalry and forget about them. They seem to work okay; probably not very efficient, but I never paid much attention to empire battles anyway.

And can someone explain to me why Darth insists on adding the Star Wars stuff? Is he like eight years old or something? Because I don't remember anybody that would consider something as garish and stupid as that a welcome supplement to their anything after about that age. How hard would it be to take it out of the menus? Is it just a matter of replacing a couple of art assets and sound files, or does he work hard to keep his filthy prints in the game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Koramei posted:

And can someone explain to me why Darth insists on adding the Star Wars stuff? Is he like eight years old or something? Because I don't remember anybody that would consider something as garish and stupid as that a welcome supplement to their anything after about that age.

It's his calling card! At least I assume that's why he does it. If he had another stupid name like "XGOKUX" the menus would probably be covered in dragonball Z poo poo.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I picked up the total war collection on Steam and I remember there was a goon recommended order to play the games in. What is this general order, and is it to decrease disc space usage or to play the more dated games first?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Heran Bago posted:

I picked up the total war collection on Steam and I remember there was a goon recommended order to play the games in. What is this general order, and is it to decrease disc space usage or to play the more dated games first?

My personal recommendation is to work from oldest to newest; if you start new, you run the risk of getting annoyed when connivance features from the newer games aren't in the older ones. Also, skip Empire, Napoleon is better.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

jivjov posted:

My personal recommendation is to work from oldest to newest; if you start new, you run the risk of getting annoyed when connivance features from the newer games aren't in the older ones.

But if you start older, you might not be as impressed by the gameplay and visuals. As someone who rarely replays older games, my first attempt at replaying Rome after 8 years away from the game was kinda lovely. I got back into it eventually, but if I'd been playing it new, I might not have stuck with it.

As far as learning the games goes, I don't think any of the Total War games have a clear advantage over any other, so I'd recommend just going with the best games in the series to start out. For me, those are Shogun 2 and Medieval II with either Stainless Steel or Broken Crescent mods.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Personally, I would say play the game with the era that interest you. Shogun 2 is the easiest to start off if you're completely new to the series. However, like the other person said, if you plan to play the older games, you might be annoyed by things in the older Total War games that were improved upon in the newer ones.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Rome - Most Roman-y, good mods, graphics dated
Medieval 2 - Graphics ok, plenty of mods, some annoying interface elements, kinda boring (imo)
Empire - Big-rear end campaign map that will last you forever, janky unit pathfinding, best mod is authored by a star wars weirdo
Napoleon - Well polished, smaller campaign focus, good graphics, some good mods
Shogun 2 - Great graphics, good multiplayer, fun expansions, no mods really needed

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SeanBeansShako posted:

While we're on the subject of Empire:

Hey you! 18th century Pikeman! you are loving useless!

Seriously, these guys are the most pointless units ever. Apart from the role they play in the early parts of the Tutorial has anyone ever seriously done anything with them apart from disband them and then buy line or a new saker artillery piece in the next turn?

Useless!

I am aware before anyone points this out the Swedes used them in minor successes in the Northern Wars later that century but still naaargrgrgh!

I used them a bit in the early game, since they're free. Usually stick them in a couple spots behind the line so they can run up real quick and take cavalry or Mughal Swordsman or whatever's going on to the face and spare my good units the pain. They're pretty garbage, but in the early game, certain melee units can rush your firing line and humiliate your technologically-superior army.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 9, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Playing MTW2 right now as Milan. I own all of Italy plus Sicily and I'm starting to expand west a bit into French territory since they keep attacking me.

I uh, I think I might have screwed up though. I killed the Pope since he kept being a jerk and excommunicating me so I just went and sacked Rome and killed him. The trouble is, despite me owning Rome and there being no Pope in Italy a new Pope got elected and is...somewhere.

And I guess since I own Rome I'm permanently excommed because every new pope keeps me with the same status. This has resulted in no less than every Catholic faction in the game declaring war on me. I'm also at war with Egypt because prior to being excommed I crusaded into the holy land. I think I'm at war with something like 10 factions.

Is there no way to permanently take out the pope? I have no idea where this new pope is because I hold Rome and all of Italy and it's causing me problems because literally every faction wants to kill me. I have enough wealth plus the advantage of mountains keeping most away but it's still annoying being at war with literally everyone. The Pope declared a crusade on Antioch which I own and it was taken by several massive stacks of crusaders. I'm a little worried now that the Pope is gonna declare one of my heartlands the target of a crusade next. Right now only the Germans and French actually send armies into Italy to attack me but I have a feeling if a crusade was declared on Venice or Genoa or wherever that I'd have tons of armies knocking on my door step.

I could probably hold out pretty well given I'm very wealthy but it's probably going to result in a bit of a neverending stalemate if I have to expend most of my power just defending what I own. I know from my experience playing the Turks that those loving crusades literally never end.

e: That said, Milan kinda owns. Italian militia units are really good and Milan has spectacular cross bow milita. You don't even have to build castles with Milan really you can just build cities and use their militia units to defend them and Milan's militia units can fend off all but the most determined assaults. The bonus to using a massive amount of militia units? Free upkeep in cities for some of them, and since they are the only force you really need you can have 90% of your territories turned into cities while keeping the odd castle here and there for knights if you want them. I'm playing on vh/vh and my militia units just rock the computer when I defend with them in sieges. The comp usually tries to tard through the gate so you just put your spear units on schiltrom and it quickly becomes a massacre. The only way the comp can take one of my cities is if they have an overwhelmingly massive stack of elite units. Anything less will be turned to mincemeat by my ballista towers and militia units.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 9, 2012

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Crazy, I'm also playing a MTW2 game as Milan right now and I've been debating whether to take down Rome and the Pope. I basically own the same stuff as you, except that I'm just now invading Sardinia and Sicily, and I have already taken Zagreb (which I think starts out Venetian) and most of Hungary. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, although I feared that the scenario you described would transpire if I decided to lay waste to Rome. Stacking the College of Cardinals sounds absolutely out of the question (as per my usual plan).

Definitely with you on Milan's units, particularly defending against sieges. It's almost always a massacre.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

IIRC the only way to destroy the Papacy in vanilla MTW2 is to assassinate every Cardinal. Start by thinning out the Cardinal ranks, then start assassinating the Pope every turn so they skip their turn and cannot use it to name new Cardinals. Once the College is empty the Papal seat becomes permanently vacant.

That's obviously quite bothersome to achieve, even if you have lots of inns and gold. "Just" killing popes and cardinals until you get one of your own guys on the throne is a lot easier.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

In vanilla Medieval 2 is it even possible to get a ceasefire? I am pounding the 7 factions at war with me but no one wants to duck out. At this rate I'll be at war with everyone in a couple turns. This isn't fun anymore, it is a slog.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How much are you offering and how bad's your rep right now?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Redczar posted:

In vanilla Medieval 2 is it even possible to get a ceasefire?

99% of the time, nope. Not sure why the option is even there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've always had pretty decent luck using diplomacy in Medieval 2 with good reputation, but I've also played very little without Stainless Steel and I'm not sure if the mod affects that sort of thing.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

In my latest Kievan game after eliminating the Cuman presence from Eastern Europe and the area immediately northeast of the Black Sea, what was left of them in eastern-Eastern Europe sued for peace. I didn't accept it since I want to keep them around to train up generals if need be, and they'll be a good buffer for when the Mongols show up.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Redczar posted:

In vanilla Medieval 2 is it even possible to get a ceasefire? I am pounding the 7 factions at war with me but no one wants to duck out. At this rate I'll be at war with everyone in a couple turns. This isn't fun anymore, it is a slog.

This is why I don't really play Medieval 2. Much weaker nations attacking you, then refusing peace no matter how many times you punch them in the dick, so you end up having to completely conquer them to get them to stop attacking you.

Then, out of nowhere your ally of 50 years decides to declare war via one lone ship blockading your port. :what:

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Bloodly posted:

How much are you offering and how bad's your rep right now?

Oh. That'd probably be it. :blush:

drat new mechanics sneaking up on me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever successfully forced the computer into becoming your vassal? I've tried to do it before but even with massive bribes and/or me beating the poo poo out of them they never accept it.

e:

NihilCredo posted:

IIRC the only way to destroy the Papacy in vanilla MTW2 is to assassinate every Cardinal. Start by thinning out the Cardinal ranks, then start assassinating the Pope every turn so they skip their turn and cannot use it to name new Cardinals. Once the College is empty the Papal seat becomes permanently vacant.

That's obviously quite bothersome to achieve, even if you have lots of inns and gold. "Just" killing popes and cardinals until you get one of your own guys on the throne is a lot easier.

Ugh. That sounds like a pain in the rear end. I might just give the Pope back Rome at this point if I even can just to get the catholic factions off my back.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
As Spain in M2TW I managed to get the Moors to be my vassal when they only had like 3 provinces left but frankly it was a hindrance more than anything. I had to break my alliance with them and attack them just take get the provinces which is probably partly whyy my reputation never seems to rise above "Piers Morgan".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just saw some notes on a Shogun 2 player 'balance' patch on the STEAM community workshop.

'All units have 10 morale.'

What is the loving point. Really. Who are these insane people who like to watch these armies kill each other to the last man to win a game?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Redczar posted:

MW2's AI is notoriously stupid about this. You'll have them pounded into the dirt, down to one territory and finally convince them for peace and they'll declare war and throw two starving spearmen at your castle the very next turn.

On the inverse, one thing I've always liked about the later TW games is that it's (at least seemed) to be coded that if you humiliate another faction's full-stack army, especially if their leader was commanding it, you can get them to negotiate a peace treaty in your favor without even taking a single territory. Even if they could have a chance in a drawn-out war, they're just so put-off by the loss.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Attention goons who love playing these games with other goons!

I've been a little bit busy with the Warband NW Goon group and have neglected GTW badly. So sorry :(.

The following awesome goons have Moderator permissions granting them the ability to organised stuff for multiplayer in the group are:

Olive Branch.
Neddie.
shalcar.
Zoolooman.
Grey Hunter.

I'm still inviting people into the group too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just saw some notes on a Shogun 2 player 'balance' patch on the STEAM community workshop.

'All units have 10 morale.'

What is the loving point. Really. Who are these insane people who like to watch these armies kill each other to the last man to win a game?

Sounds familiar. Third Age Total War starts at 11, goes to 18-20(where standard M2 starts at 3, goes to 11), before things like commander traits, battle difficulty, and AI boosts. Naturally, people regard standard M2 morale as 'too low' and 'a joke'.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=535039

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The answer is: Total War modders are either BLOOD DEATH DIFFICULTY sperglords like Darth or REALISM sperglords like... uh, other people. There's no in-between.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
If my peasants don't fight to the last man against feudal knights what am I not paying them for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

On the one hand, lots of casualties which is cool to see, and maybe more time to see the animations at times.

On the other, retraining is often a pain in the neck, and with the sheer number of casualties there will be retraining is required. There's only so much you can do in terms of minimising the damage.