Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm giving AOKP a try since now that I've tasted JB I'm hesitant to leave it, but mostly because the last CM9 alpha I used didn't have gps working. CM9 for the E4GT is now in beta and I think i read they have gps working but on the other hand like I said: Jelly Bean is pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I have an almost year old Galaxy S II that's running CM10 and every time I mount the USB storage, SwiftKey is unloaded and stock keyboard becomes the default.

Any way I can fix this? Some boards suggest you could make it a "system app", but wouldn't say how.
Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

Use Titanium, long press the app and choose Make system app.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm using an HTC incredible on Cyanogen 7. Is there any way to disable the popup asking about connecting as a USB drive that comes up when I unlock the phone when it's connected to a computer?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Welp, the announcement today by the lead Galaxy S3 and S2 dev for CM that barring a major shift from samsung, he'll be giving up support on the devices has pretty much soured me to the i9100. Waiting on samsung to provide updates on a now second tier device (Which will probably not get updated to 4.2, even if 4.1 happens) to get stable ROMs is not my cup of tea. S2 sold, Galaxy Nexus bought with proceeds.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Experto Crede posted:

Welp, the announcement today by the lead Galaxy S3 and S2 dev for CM that barring a major shift from samsung, he'll be giving up support on the devices has pretty much soured me to the i9100. Waiting on samsung to provide updates on a now second tier device (Which will probably not get updated to 4.2, even if 4.1 happens) to get stable ROMs is not my cup of tea. S2 sold, Galaxy Nexus bought with proceeds.

Can you post the source for this announcement?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Odette posted:

Can you post the source for this announcement?

Here's the horse's mouth version

More info at rootzwiki.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Yikes, that doesn't fare well for Samsung seeing as Kondik works there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LastInLine posted:

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

Use Titanium, long press the app and choose Make system app.

Thanks, but this wasn't quite enough, it kept crashing. I found an XDA thread that fixed the rest: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1730336

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Odette posted:

Yikes, that doesn't fare well for Samsung seeing as Kondik works there.
Erhm I know folks don't like my posts but I did mention this a page ago. Just sayin'.

Anyways, to clarify, codeworkx is the CM Exynos maintainer, which covers most international Samsung devices and, AT&T SGS2 (but not the Skyrocket), and certain tablet models that I've lost track of.

However, Samsung's Qualcomm-based devices are doing just fine, which includes the North American SGS3 (of which Steve himself is the lead maintainer), the Skyrocket, T-Mo SGS2, North American Galaxy Notes (but not the upcoming Note 2 which will be Exynos world-wide).

It's also worth clarify which part of Samsung is being complained of here. It's Samsung Electronics Co. (Samsung Semiconductor?) who manufacturers the Exynos line, and are being asshats here. They're analogous to other SoC vendors like Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Texas Instruments. And like Nvidia, they default to a closed-development model and don't really know how to function in an open-source ecosystem.

The actual handset manufacturer is Samsung Mobile (which AFAIK is a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics, but there's still a bit of a different culture). They've made handsets using SoCs from all four major vendors in the past, with SEC and Qualcomm designed being featured in most of their products (although OMAP is used in the Galaxy Nexus and one of the SGS2 variants). They're analogous to other handset vendors like HTC, LG, Motorola, and Sony. And in this case they're surprisingly open, although Sony (which I assume has more do with Ericsson since real Sony also tends to be asshats) has been making great strides in attracting the community development audience by being embarassingly-open about their stuff.

In short, this world is crazy inbred and it's confusing poo poo.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried the workaround for SG3 phones to get Google Wallet to work? I'm running CM10 nightlies so I would just have to change a system file to temporarily rename the phone model to something else to get Wallet to initialize. But all the talk of secured elements and 'do not restore Wallet ever or you might brick something' gives me the willies.

I just want to use NFC at the gas station like some dumb nerd.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Goetta posted:

Has anyone tried the workaround for SG3 phones to get Google Wallet to work? I'm running CM10 nightlies so I would just have to change a system file to temporarily rename the phone model to something else to get Wallet to initialize. But all the talk of secured elements and 'do not restore Wallet ever or you might brick something' gives me the willies.

Which model of SGS3? Wallet works on my Sprint GS3. I don't think the secure element issue is a problem anymore (if it ever was), though there is that goon that recently had problems with his wallet account. There's really no reason to restore Wallet with Titanium Backup though since everything is stored in the cloud.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
So, my galaxy nexus is enroute, but it seems that it is carrier locked to O2. Does a software unlock exist for it like on the SGS2?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Which model of SGS3? Wallet works on my Sprint GS3.
Yes, Sprint drunk the kool aid on Google Wallet so it actually works on Sprint devices. Other carriers, not so much.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Goetta posted:

I use Wallet on my cm10 d2vzw, installed by using the build.prop trick. It needs to be changed and flashed like that after installing each new nightly, even if you dirty flash, but I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't even reset it before flashing so I may be playing with fire as far as the secure element is concerned. So far so good though. All the cute checkout girls at Whole Foods think I'm the biggest nerd.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, Sprint drunk the kool aid on Google Wallet so it actually works on Sprint devices. Other carriers, not so much.

Sprint gets a lot of poo poo (rightfully), but as long as they continue being good buddies with Google (Wallet, Voice, anything else?), I can't complain too much.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bobert51 posted:

I use Wallet on my cm10 d2vzw, installed by using the build.prop trick. It needs to be changed and flashed like that after installing each new nightly, even if you dirty flash, but I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't even reset it before flashing so I may be playing with fire as far as the secure element is concerned. So far so good though. All the cute checkout girls at Whole Foods think I'm the biggest nerd.

Ok, thanks. I have been updating with each nightly so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle since updating currently takes all of two taps and I kind of like it that way.

I'm on AT&T which marks my phone as 'not compatible' with Wallet because they apparently want everyone to use this instead (even though it isn't out yet) because they are giant piece of poo poo telecom

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Does anyone know why there hasn't been a nightly CM10 build for Sprint Galaxy Nexus lately?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Does anyone know why there hasn't been a nightly CM10 build for Sprint Galaxy Nexus lately?
They must be failing to build, there have been regular updates for Maguro. I looked in the xda thread for it and holy poo poo, I thought the SNR in the GSM thread was terrible...

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
After seeing how it easy it was to root my Nexus 7 the other night, I decided I'd root my phone, a HTC Incredible. After an hour of unsuccessfully getting anywhere I gave up. (I attempted to use unrEVOked and dabbled with the official tool) I just wanted to put a new rom on the thing since HTC has made the phone pretty lovely since the last update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Evil Vin posted:

After seeing how it easy it was to root my Nexus 7 the other night, I decided I'd root my phone, a HTC Incredible. After an hour of unsuccessfully getting anywhere I gave up. (I attempted to use unrEVOked and dabbled with the official tool) I just wanted to put a new rom on the thing since HTC has made the phone pretty lovely since the last update.
Yeah, it turns out devices that are designed to be rooted are easy to root and devices where the carrier and OEM are actively working to thwart rooting are more difficult.

The Incredible used to be pretty easy to root but that was before the first Gingerbread update and now it's not. Although if it's supported by the official tool I can't imagine it's all that hard to flash things even if it is a little inconvenient having to do so with a computer.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, it turns out devices that are designed to be rooted are easy to root and devices where the carrier and OEM are actively working to thwart rooting are more difficult.

The Incredible used to be pretty easy to root but that was before the first Gingerbread update and now it's not. Although if it's supported by the official tool I can't imagine it's all that hard to flash things even if it is a little inconvenient having to do so with a computer.

*shrug* I just thought it had a one click tool and it would be quick, painless, and simple more than anything. The HTC tool required way too much effort to do on my non-internet connect laptop, that I was ferrying files from my work computer to. That and I wasn't really in the mood to wipe my phone clean at moment.

davestones
May 7, 2009

Experto Crede posted:

So, my galaxy nexus is enroute, but it seems that it is carrier locked to O2. Does a software unlock exist for it like on the SGS2?

Did you get it directly from O2? I got mine when it was released on Orange, through Carphone Warehouse, and they just sell unlocked phones and supply a sim - I'm pretty sure Phones4U do the same too.

I can't help with any apps to remove the simlock but there are countless listings in Google and eBay that will cost about a tenner to remove it, and it wouldn't surprise me if the dodgy shops-on-wheels in your local market can do it too.

If you want to, to root the phone use this:

http://www.wugfresh.com/dev/nexus-root-toolkit/

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

They must be failing to build, there have been regular updates for Maguro. I looked in the xda thread for it and holy poo poo, I thought the SNR in the GSM thread was terrible...

Yeah I've been checking there occasionally to see what's up and my god it's horrible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

They must be failing to build, there have been regular updates for Maguro.
I thought I saw some chatter about this, but there hasn't been any merges to toroplus for while, so not sure.

LastInLine posted:

I looked in the xda thread for it and holy poo poo, I thought the SNR in the GSM thread was terrible...
So this, mixed with a dose of "I don't have time for this poo poo" or simply "I don't give a gently caress" is why half of CM device maintainers have long stopped visiting or paying attention to xda. The other half are Elite Developers. Make of that what you will.

Evil Vin posted:

*shrug* I just thought it had a one click tool and it would be quick, painless, and simple more than anything.
In theory it should be this way. However, understand that many "One Click" tools are very poorly written, and so break under the most trivial of circumstances. I simply don't trust them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There's been a ton of merges to the main branch of CM so why Toroplus isn't building properly is something the maintainer needs to address. I can vouch for the Maguro version working really well but the changelog doesn't go back far enough to see when Toroplus stopped getting built.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

There's been a ton of merges to the main branch of CM so why Toroplus isn't building properly is something the maintainer needs to address. I can vouch for the Maguro version working really well but the changelog doesn't go back far enough to see when Toroplus stopped getting built.

The last toroplus build was 10/2. I've been wanting to try it again but well, waiting for the newest build.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 8, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

I would assume this is just the International S3, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

I would assume this is just the International S3, right?
Well, it's not the North American SGS3s if that's what you're asking.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
To add more to the Exynos debacle:

Slashdot reports: Samsung Galaxy Note II Source Code Released. Hooray! Except it's just kernel source code, like Samsung releases for all of their devices. Why did this make Slashdot? Or Engadget for that matter?

Now, because Engadget did report this, and folks are now happier than ever to throw money at Samsung over what they think is a good result to a well misunderstood situation, Entropy512 (Andrew Dodd) posted a few comments that summarize the current Exynos problems and clarifies the maintainer exodus.

He also posted recently on xda of how they've even found a contact engineer at Samsung Korea who wants to help, but who is continually thwarted by both management and his fellow engineers.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
To anyone that is hanging on to their Evo3D until the next Nexus phone comes out (definitely not buying a non-Nexus next time!), Agrabren has been working on CDMA/GSM versions of CM10 and they've been getting better and better despite a group of retards over on XDA and some Anthrax kernel users trying to spoil it for everyone. Camera works (though auto-focus does not), Wimax works (CDMA obviously) and a lot of bugs have been squashed already. 3D camera is still broken, as is the 3D screen aside from the boot animation but who still uses that stuff anyway?

GSM version is posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1826747
CDMA version download is here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/cm10/shooter

There is no CDMA thread (because XDA is full of morons), but he uses CDMA personally so there's no chance of it falling by the wayside in favor of GSM. There's still bugs but it seems like a fully functional real daily-driver CM10 rom is just around the corner.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 8, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why did this make Slashdot? Or Engadget for that matter?

They're not technical enough to know the difference.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why did this make Slashdot? Or Engadget for that matter?

"Confectionary Delight has been ported to Old Device guys!" *SMS/Wi-Fi/Camera doesn't work* :protarget:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Has anyone tried any JB rooms for the og evo4g with any success?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The short answer to that is No, stick with CM7.2 or a stock rooted rom.

The long answer is that was covered less than three pages ago and no, stick with with CM7.2 and read a little ways back. ICS and JB roms are going to probably never work properly on the Evo without a huge effort by the aftermarket community to write a ton of drivers from scratch. The aftermarket community arguably is full of dunderheads who wouldn't be able to find their asses with an atlas and two helpers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MC Hawking posted:

The long answer is that was covered less than three pages ago and no, stick with with CM7.2 and read a little ways back. ICS and JB roms are going to probably never work properly on the Evo without a huge effort by the aftermarket community to write a ton of drivers from scratch. The aftermarket community arguably is full of dunderheads who wouldn't be able to find their asses with an atlas and two helpers.

Just how do you find your rear end with an atlas? Roll it up, swing, and hope for the best? Or is it more like a "Your mama's so fat.." joke? :)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

MC Hawking posted:

Thanks, yeah I know it was a :effort: post...I remembered it being discussed a while back, but forgot if it was related to the EVO or another phone. Appreciate the reply.

It's a shame, but I suppose I will be waiting for the next best thing then.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I have a strange issue on my CM10 VZW GNex, where I have two entries for the Calendar APK in my drawer, which results in doubled notifications but functional widget access. I tried a bit of google fu and scrounging the CM forums for nightly discussion, but don't know what's up.

Both show as version 4.1.1, but one is 4.1.1-eng..201221005.021116 and the other is 4.1.1-424425

Should I just use titanium to freeze/delete one copy?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WebDO posted:

where I have two entries for the Calendar APK in my drawer,
That's weird.

WebDO posted:

Both show as version 4.1.1, but one is 4.1.1-eng..201221005.021116 and the other is 4.1.1-424425
The "eng" one is probably correct. You can confirm by comparing it with the Caclulator app's version, which should be the same.

WebDO posted:

Should I just use titanium to freeze/delete one copy?
Sounds reasonable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Has anyone tried any JB rooms for the og evo4g with any success?

I last tried two weekends ago with Evervolv's JB rom. Camera's got display quirks in photo mode, video mode ran in preview but didn't record. GPS doesn't work at all (discovered that the hard way).

ICS is daily usable for someone who understands third-party ROMs. Don't put it on your parents'/SO's/boss' phone, but I've been using it since May or so without anything worth complaining about. No 4G and video recording is often low framerate, everything else is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
It looks like 4.1.2 is already being merged into CM10. :dance:

http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#maguro/cm10/next