Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Melchior posted:

It looks closer to an 8g or maybe 14g cube.

Yeah, that's what I originally thought but I think all their smaller models have that base that makes them slightly raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Unless its a new model, all the IM tanks cone with an acrylic pedastal. So it might be something else.

See: I have an 8g haha

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.jbjlighting.com/images/NanocubeRL_flyer.jpg

The 8gal size, for $100.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Less than a day in:

I've got some rocks I've left in the cooking bucket for like a year now, so maybe I'll end up 'scaping today.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And now, bonus (bad) HDR image of the lighting, running at lowest dimming (25% power). Note that this fixture (the JBJ unibody) has 12 blues and 6 whites:

Full blast, note the light spill:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 5, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Sweet setup man. What's your plan for it?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Got my live feed (video) going. After a few hours, I've noticed a few things: http://telijah.dyndns-web.com:8888

- I definitely need some more rock
- Lights Lights Lights (I need!)

The visibility will be somewhat poor when I am not home as lighting comes from an east-facing window with the blinds open, and with regular afternoon thunderstorms still hitting our area, outside light will be low, until I get home and can pop on the ceiling light over the tank for now.

I've noticed that, when I am home, those two guys are usually all over the tank. But watching them on this camera, the striped guy stays basically in the middle of the tank all day and the blue damsel stays towards the front-right corner. Territory display I guess? I need to find a better way to mount my camera, right now it is showing probably 95% of the tank and at an odd angle.

For those interested, using a cheap USB webcam (Logitech C270) and streaming app from https://www.yawcam.com, which is STUPID EASY to setup compared to some of the other options out there I tried.

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 5, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Sweet setup man. What's your plan for it?

Mostly softies, maybe a couple of easyish LPSes like a frogspawn or an acan.

And a mantis shrimp.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 5, 2012

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finally got wet, yesterday. Pic is from very early this morning, with just the LED moonlighting.

More pictures once the water has finished clearing.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

api call girl posted:

Mostly softies, maybe a couple of easyish LPSes like a frogspawn or an acan.

And a mantis shrimp.

Shrimps are awesome. If I get around to a salt tank, I totally want a mantis, cleaner or some sexy shrimp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have 2 Cleaner Shrimp in my 90g and they are amazing. I had a couple of sexy shrimp in my work tank (14g, switched jobs) and they are very cool but you do not always get to see them.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I need some opinions on dosing and two parts. I've got a 50 cube with mostly LPS but a few SPS frags that I'd really like to take off. In my little nano, I never had to dose anything since just water changes would do the trick. With this tank, I tested last week and I was at 440 and when I retested this week I was at 395.

The other thing that got me thinking about dosing was I was buying a couple of zoanthid frags from some lady on RC yesterday and she mentioned how with her tank, SPS growth really took off once she started dosing a two part with one of those dosing pumps. She said the stability was key and poo poo just blew up.

Does anyone here dose? Do you use a two part that you add weekly or something else? I think I might try the BRS two part starter kit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-additives/brs-additives/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-total-package-bulk.html

I've heard good things about this kit. The only thing is you have to add that poo poo like every day. The kit that comes with the pumps is $150 more and I'm trying to decide between the two right now.

ALSO, on the Auto Top Off front, where do you guys stand. Firmly int he Tunze corner or is that $80 JBJ job good enough?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

As far as top offs go, I just manually do them. Roughly 5gal a week goes into the sump, I should really get an auto deal, would make things much easier.

And dosing, I only dose when I remember (which is like once a month) and my SPS/clams grow pretty drat fast.

This:

To this:

In one week shy of a year, the longest branch is about 6" long.

I'd say it's all in the light really. Even in larger tanks, water changes make up the bulk of the mineral implementation. Unless you have 600 SPS colonies and 80 clams of course. I have that acro, another acro, a huge monti cap, a semi-large sunset monti, a couple large ephys (that also make calcium skeletons) and two clams.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 8, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

As far as top offs go, I just manually do them. Roughly 5gal a week goes into the sump, I should really get an auto deal, would make things much easier.

And dosing, I only dose when I remember (which is like once a month) and my SPS/clams grow pretty drat fast.

Yeah I'm trying to go for more stability. I'm bad with the top offs and get salinity swings. Thats okay for LPS but I think my SPS frags are pissed about it.

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009
My Green bubble isn't looking happy. Paled out, kinda listless. No tentacles out to be bubbles, though he still eats bits of silverside or shrimp every other day. Today was a 25% water change with store-bought water.

I had my RO/DI water checked and everything came up good. I'm out of my own salt though so I'll have to get some more when I get a chance. Until then I'll be using the store-bought stuff.

I finally got something that works on the damnedable hair algae. A pincushion urchin. About the size of a ping-pong ball. I added him two days ago and he's been slowly(Very slowly) working his way down a matt of the poo poo.

Found my other serpant star also, I fed Saturday evening and he came out to grab a chunk of silverside that drifted near a rock. He's gotten big, and red.. Scary looking bastard overall. The other is just a grey/black stripped fella.

Both clowns are doing alright, trying to baby-along that GBT same as I am. Snatching food away from the blenny(Flametail blenny-drat thing is supposed to eat hair algae, but he's eating meat?) and stuffing it into the nem.

I just cleaned power-heads, filter intake, changed filter pads, scrapped the front of the filter.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
This morning:

This afternoon:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Highlights:

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

visuvius posted:

I need some opinions on dosing and two parts. I've got a 50 cube with mostly LPS but a few SPS frags that I'd really like to take off. In my little nano, I never had to dose anything since just water changes would do the trick. With this tank, I tested last week and I was at 440 and when I retested this week I was at 395.

The other thing that got me thinking about dosing was I was buying a couple of zoanthid frags from some lady on RC yesterday and she mentioned how with her tank, SPS growth really took off once she started dosing a two part with one of those dosing pumps. She said the stability was key and poo poo just blew up.

Does anyone here dose? Do you use a two part that you add weekly or something else? I think I might try the BRS two part starter kit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-additives/brs-additives/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-total-package-bulk.html

I've heard good things about this kit. The only thing is you have to add that poo poo like every day. The kit that comes with the pumps is $150 more and I'm trying to decide between the two right now.

ALSO, on the Auto Top Off front, where do you guys stand. Firmly int he Tunze corner or is that $80 JBJ job good enough?

I dose BRS 2-part daily. You can do it whatever frequency you like, but she is right that stability is the key to good growth. A tank with a lot of stony corals is going to suck up calcium and lower alkalinity a lot faster than one with mostly soft corals, and as the corals get bigger and grow faster the dosing requirements of the tank go up. I started out dosing ~10ml of calc/alk solution daliy, and 3 months later I'm up to 45ml daily. This is a 90g which is about 75% SPS/LPS.

The only problem with the pumps is that the portion of the dosing tube attached to the pump itself wears out and needs to be replaced fairly regularly. Not a huge deal, but an additional expense if you're on a budget.

If you're not sure how much to dose, do this:

- Determine the optimal calcium and alkalinity values you'd like for your tank. Personally I have ~450 calcium & 8.3 dKH alkalinity and it seems to work well.
- Measure your starting alkalinity and calcium values.
- Go to the BRS reef calculator and enter the values you start and want to end up with into the calculators, being sure to select the correct 2-part mix.
- If the change is not TOO drastic, dose your tank using the indicated values. Test again after a few hours to ensure you're where you want to be.
- Do not dose for seven days, then measure your alkalinity and calcium values.
- Use the calculator again to determine the dosing for one week. Divide it by seven and you have your daily dose.

Reevaluate your dosing schedule monthly or so to ensure you're still meeting the needs of your tank. Watch your corals for color loss, burnt tips, tissue loss, polyp retraction, etc to get a clue as to what may be going on.

In my personal experience the most important of the 'holy trinity' of dosing is alkalinity. Alk swings affect corals the most. Calcium affects growth but doesn't seem to affect coloration that much if at all. Magnesium pretty much affects how fast alk/calcium is consumed from the water column. The BRS instructions for dosing magnesium are pretty much 'mix this up and dump the entire thing in your tank'. Big swings in mag aren't really that big of a deal.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Jealous. Wish I could have a work tank. My boss hasn't outright said no yet, but I don't really have it in the budget to set one up. I was looking at the Mr. Aqua 14 long, as it seems to be the most real estate for the least desk space.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Melchior posted:

I dose BRS 2-part daily. You can do it whatever frequency you like, but she is right that stability is the key to good growth. A tank with a lot of stony corals is going to suck up calcium and lower alkalinity a lot faster than one with mostly soft corals, and as the corals get bigger and grow faster the dosing requirements of the tank go up. I started out dosing ~10ml of calc/alk solution daliy, and 3 months later I'm up to 45ml daily. This is a 90g which is about 75% SPS/LPS.

The only problem with the pumps is that the portion of the dosing tube attached to the pump itself wears out and needs to be replaced fairly regularly. Not a huge deal, but an additional expense if you're on a budget.

If you're not sure how much to dose, do this:

- Determine the optimal calcium and alkalinity values you'd like for your tank. Personally I have ~450 calcium & 8.3 dKH alkalinity and it seems to work well.
- Measure your starting alkalinity and calcium values.
- Go to the BRS reef calculator and enter the values you start and want to end up with into the calculators, being sure to select the correct 2-part mix.
- If the change is not TOO drastic, dose your tank using the indicated values. Test again after a few hours to ensure you're where you want to be.
- Do not dose for seven days, then measure your alkalinity and calcium values.
- Use the calculator again to determine the dosing for one week. Divide it by seven and you have your daily dose.

Reevaluate your dosing schedule monthly or so to ensure you're still meeting the needs of your tank. Watch your corals for color loss, burnt tips, tissue loss, polyp retraction, etc to get a clue as to what may be going on.

In my personal experience the most important of the 'holy trinity' of dosing is alkalinity. Alk swings affect corals the most. Calcium affects growth but doesn't seem to affect coloration that much if at all. Magnesium pretty much affects how fast alk/calcium is consumed from the water column. The BRS instructions for dosing magnesium are pretty much 'mix this up and dump the entire thing in your tank'. Big swings in mag aren't really that big of a deal.

Really appreciate this post. I've been testing alk and calcium pretty frequently to get a better picture of how much I'm going through.

I went through the calculator and the amounts it recommended were as follows for calcium:

Starting: 420
Desired: 460
2 Part Calcium Solution
Need: 368.4 ml, 12.4 fl oz, 73.6 tsp

12.4 fl oz seems like a shitload to me to add all at once but I have no experience with this so I don't know. Whenever I add the Brightwell's calcium supplement its like a capful at a time so 12.4 fl oz seems like quite a bit to me. Would it be okay to add it at all at once or if not over how many days should I add the initial dose?

Also, do you find dosing the BRS two part to be a pain in the rear end or is it a pretty easy routine thing? I didn't go with the package that includes the dosers when I realized it came with those hand pumps.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That's probably a per-week amount, if you're going from 440 to 395 over the course of a week. So about 55-60mL a day, which is not seriously excessive. I was up to 120mL a day on a 35gal tank before I gave up and switched to a kalk stirrer AND a calcium reactor combo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 9, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm fairly sure that is just the amount you'll need to go from one value to the other. It also tells you in the sidebar of the calculator how much you can add at one time (per day, basically).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

drat, maybe I'm underdosing. I don't really test anything, unless something is awry, but when I dose I add 15ml of the 2 part, which is like once a month. I do weekly water changes though, 8gal each time.

E: I test salinity at each water change, but that's it.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

api call girl posted:

That's probably a per-week amount, if you're going from 440 to 395 over the course of a week. So about 55-60mL a day, which is not seriously excessive. I was up to 120mL a day on a 35gal tank before I gave up and switched to a kalk stirrer AND a calcium reactor combo.

No, it's the absolute amount to go from one value to the other if you dumped it in all at once. Calcium requires a lot of additive to raise its value, much more so than alkalinity using soda ash mixture.

If you added it over the course of a week, you're not going to end up at 460 at the end because the calcium in the water column is being consumed by the corals for growth. This is why you need to find out what the calcium and alkalinity consumption rates are by measuring them a week apart without dosing. That will give you an absolute value to add over the course of a week, which you divide by seven if you want to do it daily.

Example (using alk, no dosing performed, 100g tank volume):

Day 1 alk value: 8.3
Day 7 alk value: 7.5

Calculated value to raise 7.5 --> 8.3 using soda ash mixture: 160 ml, or 5.4 fl oz, or 32 tsp

Daily value (160/7): 22.85ml

So.. Dump in 160ml of alk solution, then add 22.85ml per day following that. Reevaluate the alk requirements monthly. If the change in alk is too great (over 1.5 dkh or so), spread out the dosage over a few days to prevent shocking your corals with an alk spike. You may have to raise your daily rates a bit for a few weeks to get yourself close enough to remain steady, though.

This is pretty much how I do it, and I haven't had burnt tips, tissue loss, or browning due to anything other than being lazy with water changes in close to 6 months now.

visuvius posted:

Really appreciate this post. I've been testing alk and calcium pretty frequently to get a better picture of how much I'm going through.

I went through the calculator and the amounts it recommended were as follows for calcium:

Starting: 420
Desired: 460
2 Part Calcium Solution
Need: 368.4 ml, 12.4 fl oz, 73.6 tsp

12.4 fl oz seems like a shitload to me to add all at once but I have no experience with this so I don't know. Whenever I add the Brightwell's calcium supplement its like a capful at a time so 12.4 fl oz seems like quite a bit to me. Would it be okay to add it at all at once or if not over how many days should I add the initial dose?

Also, do you find dosing the BRS two part to be a pain in the rear end or is it a pretty easy routine thing? I didn't go with the package that includes the dosers when I realized it came with those hand pumps.

Calcium I do not believe is a big deal if you have a huge spike. You might see an increase in coralline growth on your glass and rocks, but I think that's about it. From what I understand, coralline requires a lot more calcium in the water to grow than corals do - which is why it is a sign of a 'healthy' tank. It signifies sufficient calcium levels, at the very least.

Once you get down your target dosing to keep things stable, it's a matter of dropping some in once a day. I just use the measuring cups that came with some bottles of B-Ionic I bought previously, but any measuring cup will do.

SaNChEzZ posted:

drat, maybe I'm underdosing. I don't really test anything, unless something is awry, but when I dose I add 15ml of the 2 part, which is like once a month. I do weekly water changes though, 8gal each time.

E: I test salinity at each water change, but that's it.

I don't know, your growth seems pretty good and your SPS look pretty healthy. I'd start by getting a reference of the changes in your tank between water changes. If you're doing regular water changes of a good percentage and using a good reef salt, it can serve the same purpose. You really only have significant dosing requirements if you have large amounts of stony corals and don't do large water changes or do them less frequently. I usually do a 15% change every two weeks or so, for reference.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 9, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks again for the tips Melchior.

Here are some pictures of my new tank. This was set up on 9/16 and most of the corals and frags were moved over about a week later.

Here was my original nano:

The new 50:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That is a very nice tank my friend

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
So it has been a few weeks since my tank got nuked by my anemone. I've been keeping things running to some extent while I decide when/if I want to restart it. Today though I noticed something strange. There are a TON of little bristleworms (I assume, very thin white worms with spikes on both sides of their body) all over the glass and back of the tank. They wiggled a lot when I turned the light on and most of them went and hid.

That's interesting I guess but I have no idea where they came from, or how they are still alive. If I had to guess there were about 75-100 quarter to a half inch ones that I saw - who knows how many more there are on the rocks/sand. My main question is what does this mean regarding the process of starting the tank back up? I was planning on rinsing the rock off and possibly replacing most of the sand and all of the water originally. Will this be enough or will these guys stick around? And if so, is that a "bad" thing? I know they can get quite big, and there are so many of them that I could see it becoming a problem, but maybe once I change everything out and rinse stuff off they will go away. Any advice?

e: just looked and I guess there are so many because of all the decaying stuff I wasn't able to remove. So maybe when the water gets back to normal so will their population?

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 10, 2012

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Murphy Brownback posted:

So it has been a few weeks since my tank got nuked by my anemone. I've been keeping things running to some extent while I decide when/if I want to restart it. Today though I noticed something strange. There are a TON of little bristleworms (I assume, very thin white worms with spikes on both sides of their body) all over the glass and back of the tank. They wiggled a lot when I turned the light on and most of them went and hid.

That's interesting I guess but I have no idea where they came from, or how they are still alive. If I had to guess there were about 75-100 quarter to a half inch ones that I saw - who knows how many more there are on the rocks/sand. My main question is what does this mean regarding the process of starting the tank back up? I was planning on rinsing the rock off and possibly replacing most of the sand and all of the water originally. Will this be enough or will these guys stick around? And if so, is that a "bad" thing? I know they can get quite big, and there are so many of them that I could see it becoming a problem, but maybe once I change everything out and rinse stuff off they will go away. Any advice?

e: just looked and I guess there are so many because of all the decaying stuff I wasn't able to remove. So maybe when the water gets back to normal so will their population?

Leave them! Great detritus eats. If you see any of them like 5"+ you could probably remove them, but the one's you described are harmless.

Note: If you are doing major changes like replacing most of the rock and sand, then you will probably be removing most of them with it. Be careful if you accidentally kill a population like that and intend to keep livestock in the tank. Possible nitrate spike (without great filtration/sand/rock to help)?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Have you had any trouble getting your copperband to eat?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Hypnotized posted:

Have you had any trouble getting your copperband to eat?

Yeah this guy was a huge mistake and I regretted it pretty much as soon as I got him home. Its been a bitch getting him to eat and I'm pretty much going to pull him and take him to a shop for some credit. Never getting one again unless I have a huge reef filled with tube worms or some poo poo. These guys are picky as hell.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well after robbing Melchior of all his frags today and checking out his display tank a bit I realize I need to step up my game

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 12, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Added:

another toadstool leather, purple with green polyps
cabbage leather, sinularia, fluorescent green/green
mixed zoo frag, lower right
gsp frag on its own rock, lower left

not seen, in the back:

ORA birds of paradise birdsnest
green/orange birdsnest

peppermint shrimp
mantis shrimp

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Overprocessed FTS incoming!!!

(click for desktop size)

Reason its so dark is to hide the insane scratching on the glass. Cant wait for a new tank

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Looking good! Sorry I missed you in person, but we'll get together again soon once a few more colonies of mine grow out :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Any idea on what this little guy is?

He hitched in on the liverock. Reminds me of a mushroom coral, but with small tentacle-looking things all around his outer edge. It's moved from a prominent spot on the face of the rock, to deep into his current crevice, and is now starting to venture out again.

Glows VERY strongly under the actinic LED lighting, too. Almost neon-orange.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Could be a baby maxi-mini, that's what it looks like to me, is is sticky?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SaNChEzZ posted:

Could be a baby maxi-mini, that's what it looks like to me, is is sticky?

He's not sticky, really, but very reactive to touch. Immediately pulled back in when I poked him for science.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Picked up a female Leopard Wrasse today at the LFS. They also had a pair of orange spotted filefish, but I've got a coral buffet for them so they were a no go.

Pictures when she comes out of hiding.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MrYenko posted:

He's not sticky, really, but very reactive to touch. Immediately pulled back in when I poked him for science.

Yeah, looks like a maxi-mini or a rock flower anemone. Can you get a better picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sadly, I don't own a camera past the one in my phone. However:

Internet Explorer posted:

...rock flower anemone.

This is what it is. The form matches exactly, he's a dull red, which is a known color morph, and their wild range includes the site where my rock was aquacultured.

Now, to keep it alive!

• Locked thread