Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

marb posted:

Tell me... about cell signal boosters. My parents live in a rural area. There is weak cell service in the area, but absolutely none in the house, which is set back in the woods from the road. You can get 2 bars on the road about 50 meters away, and even more down the road.

My questions: 1) Would a residential cell booster work well in this situation? 2) Does anyone have experience with one that works and is reasonably priced? The only one we've looked into was $300, but that was directly from Rogers so they were likely trying to screw us over.

Can they get signal on the roof or something? If so, you can get this which you'd mount on the roof, pointed in the direction cell signal is strongest:
http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/148/53/wide-band-directional-antenna
which you'd then connect to this:
http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/178/46/ag-soho-65
and you'd connect that to this antenna which you'd mount centrally inside the house, for the phones to communicate with:
http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/150/52/dual-band-panel-antenna

Basically the system will function to send/receive to the tower with a high power antenna system, while picking up the cell phones inside the house so they can feed into that high power antenna system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RVProfootballer posted:

There's a song that came out in the past 2-3 years (I think) that this "It's Time" part totally ripped off. What the hell song is it and why can't I find it? Some indie-ish song that had a short life on the radio? (I didn't see an identify that song for me thread, let me know if this isn't the place for this stupid/small question!)

For whatever it's worth, I also recognize that exact riff and also cannot for the life of me think of what song it's originally from.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

What's the breed of dog that looks kind of like a miniature airedale terrier? They have the same wiry sort of coat and long snout, but they were only about 20 lbs or so.

Scottish Terrier? Miniature Schnauzer?

E: Oh, Welsh Terrier.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

RVProfootballer posted:

There's a song that came out in the past 2-3 years (I think) that this "It's Time" part totally ripped off. What the hell song is it and why can't I find it? Some indie-ish song that had a short life on the radio? (I didn't see an identify that song for me thread, let me know if this isn't the place for this stupid/small question!)

I doubt very much that it's what you're thinking of as the similarities are really subtle and probably some silly mental connection that only I have, but that song you linked made me think of Lykke Li's 'Tonight'. If that is the song you're looking for, I do admit that I'll be extremely surprised. But at least I tried. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlpgNsJsNKI

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

For whatever it's worth, I also recognize that exact riff and also cannot for the life of me think of what song it's originally from.

when worlds collide posted:

I doubt very much that it's what you're thinking of as the similarities are really subtle and probably some silly mental connection that only I have, but that song you linked made me think of Lykke Li's 'Tonight'. If that is the song you're looking for, I do admit that I'll be extremely surprised. But at least I tried. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlpgNsJsNKI

I should have said thank you to User-Friendly, Matt & Kim "Daylight" is what I was thinking of. There's a slightly different version that was on FIFA 11 or 12, which I think is why I hazily remembered it being on the radio. I couldn't remember enough of it to get to the chorus or else I might have thought of it.

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010
I'm trying to find out the name of a notable criminal. My friend and I were entertaining eachother with horrible stories we've read online, serial killers and other creeps, but she hadn't heard of a certain guy whose name I couldn't recall.

I believe it happened around the 1950's, this guy had exhumed his wife's corpse from the cemetery, took it home, and had sex with it for several years. Yeah I know, really creepy stuff to be wondering about, even creepier to be searching 'man had sex with wife's corpse' in google. (All that turned up were reports on the recent Egyptian law that allows for men to do this very thing)

I recall seeing photos of the wife's body being encased in a full plaster body cast, and I believe he created a mask for her as well, and a makeshift vagina out of a cardboard tube or something. It was one of those stories that really stuck in my head as being one of the creepiest things I've read on the internet. I think I initially read about it here in the dollfucker thread, where there was a similar creepy Canadian kid who made his own sex doll out of garbage. Anyway, does anyone know who I'm talking about?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Liebfraumilch posted:

E: Oh, Welsh Terrier.

This is what I was thinking of, but the dogs I saw I think might have actually been wire-haired fox terriers. Their coats were mostly black and white, not the black and tan of an airedale.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Fart Jockey posted:

I'm trying to find out the name of a notable criminal. My friend and I were entertaining eachother with horrible stories we've read online, serial killers and other creeps, but she hadn't heard of a certain guy whose name I couldn't recall.

I believe it happened around the 1950's, this guy had exhumed his wife's corpse from the cemetery, took it home, and had sex with it for several years. Yeah I know, really creepy stuff to be wondering about, even creepier to be searching 'man had sex with wife's corpse' in google. (All that turned up were reports on the recent Egyptian law that allows for men to do this very thing)

You're almost certainly thinking of Carl Tanzler. I've taken too many abnormal psych classes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fart Jockey posted:

I recall seeing photos of the wife's body being encased in a full plaster body cast, and I believe he created a mask for her as well, and a makeshift vagina out of a cardboard tube or something. It was one of those stories that really stuck in my head as being one of the creepiest things I've read on the internet. I think I initially read about it here in the dollfucker thread, where there was a similar creepy Canadian kid who made his own sex doll out of garbage. Anyway, does anyone know who I'm talking about?

This guy?

e:f;b

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the etymology of the word "proc", in the gaming sense? Oddly, Wikipedia does not have an entry on this.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Apparently it's from "Special Procedure."

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

gooby on rails posted:

What's the etymology of the word "proc", in the gaming sense? Oddly, Wikipedia does not have an entry on this.

Looks like it is a short form of "spec_proc" or special procedure.

http://www.nerfbat.com/2006/04/15/what-is-a-proc/

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Mister Kingdom posted:

When a movie is shot in 3D, do they just use the footage from one of the "lenses" for the 2D release or do they use a completely different camera.

From a while back but no one answered you...yes, the footage is captured digitally as two complete frames that are merged later on. So the 2D release is just one of those frames.

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010

TheGame posted:

You're almost certainly thinking of Carl Tanzler. I've taken too many abnormal psych classes.

That's definitely the creep I was looking for! Thanks!

edit: Oh god its even worse than I remember

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

From a while back but no one answered you...yes, the footage is captured digitally as two complete frames that are merged later on. So the 2D release is just one of those frames.

Does that mean one of the extra "special 4 disc release" discs is the exact same film but shot from 2 feet to the left? :haw:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is really random, but what the hell is the song from that ytmnd saxophone horse thing? I'd link, but I'm phone posting. This is really bothering me out of loving nowhere.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I typed song from saxophone horse into Google and the second result told me it's "Who Can It Be Now" by Men at Work.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

buttopticor posted:

I typed song from saxophone horse into Google and the second result told me it's "Who Can It Be Now" by Men at Work.

How could you post that answer and miss the opportunity to share this fine work of video art with your internet pals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPlNzWbX9c8

Truly, this video features the best lazy eye ever to grace music videodome. After Marty Feldman's mysterious death in the early 80s, Colin Hay absorbed his sight essence and quickly rose to power. He served as the caretaker of the world's most esteemed lazy eye and the 67th Eyemaster General. His legacy paved the way for the eyes of stars like Shannon Doherty and His Grace Forest Whitaker, who, as we all know, is the 70th and present EG.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
How stupid is it to go for a 40 minute layover in DFW?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Golbez posted:

Stupid as in you might miss your flight or stupid as in you'll have trouble filling 40 minutes?

The answer is "it's not stupid" for either question.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

El_Elegante posted:

Stupid as in you might miss your flight or stupid as in you'll have trouble filling 40 minutes?

The answer is "it's not stupid" for either question.

Might miss flight. Last time we had a short layover in DFW our flight was late so we had to sprint to the train and hope it got there on time.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There are sites-flightstats.com-that let you input a route and carrier to see how late on average they tend to be which can help. But 40 minutes seems like enough time unless you're dealing with a perfect storm of delays.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Golbez posted:

I did 50 minutes once and got to the second flight as the boarding was well in progress. Had to take the train, too. Doable but not guaranteed.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
When I worked at an airline we had software to calculate the minimum amount of time needed between flights (from the point of view of the passengers). My guess is they would not allow you to book it if you couldn't make it.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

TheGame posted:

Oh, thank you, Carl Tanzler, for not being from Wisconsin.

For the layover question--I won't risk a "short" layover in winter months after what happened around Christmas 2006. Winter storms screwed up everyone's travel everywhere, but as I was taking off from Orlando for a connection in Atlanta (both safely out of the snow), the plane's radio had a problem so I missed my connection anyway.

Then I had to learn to live and scavenge and form uneasy alliances at ATL as had Mowgli in the jungle before catching a (much, much) later flight to my final destination. Everyone was off schedule from the storms, everyone was entitled to be on the next flight, everyone was tired and grumpy or in complete despair, and each boarding was like pouring a gallon into a shot glass.

If you're looking at travel during the holidays, I really recommend paying extra for a direct flight.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Mister Kingdom posted:

When a movie is shot in 3D, do they just use the footage from one of the "lenses" for the 2D release or do they use a completely different camera.

They don't have a second 2D camera, but it's not as simple as using the "left" lens either. They use a computer "flattening" technique to maintain the correct framing, do special effects correctly, etc.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Why does the Ivory Coast remain Cote D'Ivoire in English translation where as most countries get an English translation?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

GreenCard78 posted:

Why does the Ivory Coast remain Cote D'Ivoire in English translation where as most countries get an English translation?

They requested that all languages use their local name rather than translating it. You also see that to a lesser extent from Timor-Leste (aka East Timor).

Wikipedia posted:

In April 1986, the government declared Côte d'Ivoire (or, more fully, République de Côte d'Ivoire) to be its formal name for the purposes of diplomatic protocol, and officially refuses to recognize or accept any translation from French to another language in its international dealings.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Very cool.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Golbez posted:

They requested that all languages use their local name rather than translating it. You also see that to a lesser extent from Timor-Leste (aka East Timor).
If I was the World King I would make it so everyone had to call a country by whatever the natives called it. If you meet a German guy called Franz, you don't start calling him Frank in English-speaking countries. The name of the country is Deutschland, everyone in every language should call it that. That's what the country is called. Translating proper nouns (in theory) doesn't make any sense.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hoops posted:

If I was the World King I would make it so everyone had to call a country by whatever the natives called it. If you meet a German guy called Franz, you don't start calling him Frank in English-speaking countries. The name of the country is Deutschland, everyone in every language should call it that. That's what the country is called. Translating proper nouns (in theory) doesn't make any sense.

If Germania was good enough for the Romans, then Germany is good enough for me. :colbert:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Hoops posted:

But what about things like Cote d'Ivoire and Crna Gora, which are just words rather than names, and are easily translated, for example into Ivory Coast or, using Italian-Venetian, Montenegro? (Crna Gora is "Black Mountain" in Montenegrin)

Then we have fun things like Nagorno-Karabakh; the French name for it is "Haut-Karabakh", since Nagorno means upper or mountainous.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a good place to buy posters, pictures or wall art in general online? Preferably shipping (free or cheap) to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't have a good selection.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Hoops posted:

What about mulch-lingual countries like Switzerland or India? You'll start several civil wars before your first day of rule is over. Some World King you are.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there a good place to buy posters, pictures or wall art in general online? Preferably shipping (free or cheap) to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't have a good selection.

I don't know about the cheap, but there's quite a few print making/art selling guys in SA-Mart. I know Ekunn is there with his whacky political stuff and the other guy who does boobies in outer space art.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Few people have reason to refer to Cote d'Ivoire every day or even very often. So it's really easy for the country to ask the people who do talk about them to refer to Cote d'Ivoire instead of Ivory Coast.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

A better example would be referring to India as Bharat then. That's a pretty important country and they have got quite a number of people.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Hoops posted:

I agree, I'd rather call a country what the people who live in it, call it.

What do people from other countries call the States, or Canada, I wonder?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

when worlds collide posted:

I agree, I'd rather call a country what the people who live in it, call it.

But the people who live in those countries choose to accept different names for their country in foreign languages.

To go back to the German example, "in German the country is known as Deutschland, in Scandinavian languages as Tyskland, in French as Allemagne, in Polish as Niemcy, in Finnish as Saksa, and in Lithuanian as Voketija." I believe it's the one country that has the most unique names among foreign languages actually.

GreenCard78 posted:

A better example would be referring to India as Bharat then. That's a pretty important country and they have got quite a number of people.

According to India itself, both India and Bharat are the official names of the country in English and most other languages. If they really preferred everyone else use Bharat, they'd probably say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

They're both official but I wonder what is used more often colloquially. Any time I've heard Bharat, it's been people of Indian descent or Indians abroad saying "we say Bharat at home but it's India, too." Maybe a goon from there will see this and chime in.

Don't forget Alemania. Although, that's pretty close to the French version and I'm sure the Italian version isn't far off nor is the Portuguese one.