Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mordred posted:

I don't think I will ever understand why it is so god damned hard to fit the entire car in the photo.

:ssh: he was being artsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I am really really really happy with how the car is looking right now :) If one gets Goon approval for their car, they are doing it correctly.

DropShadow posted:

Ugh, gross, get this thing out of here.

Just playing, I can't stay mad at you, Graham. But seriously, time to clean those roof rails.

Sorry for making you sick Sean, I'll never post again :smith:

How the hell do I clean those rails? I've tried polish and some other products with no luck.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

GramCracker posted:

Sorry for making you sick Sean, I'll never post again :smith:

How the hell do I clean those rails? I've tried polish and some other products with no luck.

If they're brushed (and I think they are), I used Nevr-Dull on the roof rails on my Avant and it worked great. Of course, I sold it shortly afterwards, so I don't know if it has held up well or not. Whatever you do, do NOT use it on the window trim. It ruined mine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mordred posted:

I don't think I will ever understand why it is so god damned hard to fit the entire car in the photo.

The photo was more about the road than the car. Everyone's seen an Altima before.

Besides, the passenger side is kinda ugly. Not shown are the zip ties attaching the bumper to the passenger side fender.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 8, 2012

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

Starting my day with a laugh thanks to you redneck :)

I am off to have a remap done.

Edit: Laughing at the photo, not the car.

Mordred fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 8, 2012

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

some texas redneck posted:

Not shown are the zip ties attaching the bumper to the passenger side fender.

So that's why the car is obscured partially, out of shame.
There's also an unknown substance stained on your passenger-side door.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Let's try something very un-American. Cars without spiders.

These two cars are absolutely spider-free. They have their fair share of frog-problems though.

My car is the ugly fat Van (406 3.0 TS6). The sexy Sedan is fellow forum member Kozmonauts (406 2.2 TS4).

Click pictures at own risk.

And, well, I guess you can ask us about ancient frog-cars.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 8, 2012

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Oh how I love being back in a B5; it's 8am and I'm outside in a 3 piece suit cutting my fender liner before I head to work :smithicide:

One more for now:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 8, 2012

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My protege kicked the bucket last week, but I managed to get a pretty good deal on this thing:

Never knew 5 speed trucks were so much fun.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Nice stepside! That truck was the lust object for 50% of my highschool class. They're a blast, great find.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I post this every time they are mentioned but 406's are awesome and I miss my £350 1.8 estate. It was like a faithful old dog which was loyal despite the horrible abuse it suffered :smith:

Also it smelled like dog.

Edit: I sold the peugeot it in early 2008. It was off the road before the end of the year :( Amazingly I sold the Citroen ZX £150 shed in the pic in 2006 with 215k on the clock, and it was still taxed until may 2009.

stump fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 8, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

stump posted:

I post this every time they are mentioned but 406's are awesome and I miss my £350 1.8 estate. It was like a faithful old dog which was loyal despite the horrible abuse it suffered :smith:

Also it smelled like dog.

Edit: I sold the peugeot it in early 2008. It was off the road before the end of the year :( Amazingly I sold the Citroen ZX £150 shed in the pic in 2006 with 215k on the clock, and it was still taxed until may 2009.

Neat, I had that 1.8 in an even uglier color ;) There's quite a difference between that and the TS editions though.

Greg63T
Sep 20, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Oh how I love being back in a B5; it's 8am and I'm outside in a 3 piece suit cutting my fender liner before I head to work :smithicide:

One more for now:

me gusta! I like what you've done with the car

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Sir Cornelius posted:

Neat, I had that 1.8 in an even uglier color ;) There's quite a difference between that and the TS editions though.

Yeah, I'd imagine. They are quite rare over are here. Most one's I've seen on ebay 2.0/1.8 petrols or 90/110hp diesels.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Took my Miata on a 300 mile drive yesterday. Stopped near Exit Glacier since it was only 7 miles off the road I was driving. Road was closed right after this turn off so I don't know how much closer I could have gotten for a better photo.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

stump posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine. They are quite rare over are here. Most one's I've seen on ebay 2.0/1.8 petrols or 90/110hp diesels.

Kozmonauts TS4 is about 160Hp and handles really neat. The TS6 is about 210Hp.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stump posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine [There's quite a difference between that and the TS editions]. They are quite rare over are here. Most one's I've seen on ebay 2.0/1.8 petrols or 90/110hp diesels.

Even more so, since you had a first-gen (or "D8"), which had the old XU engines that were first introduced in the early 80s. Not that they were bad engines at all, they used it in a bunch of GTI models. In turbo form it powered the legendary 205 T16, making over 450HP in the final model.

But the EW series that replaced it in the D9 is an upgrade in every way. It's smoother, more powerful, gets better mileage and puts out less emissions.

Not to mention that they also firmed up the suspension a bit, which should be taken in context of the uniquely French approach to suspension tuning. It's still nowhere near rock hard, just significantly less wallowy. Another significant upgrade was the interior, which got a full treatment of thicker and higher-quality materials.

I'm not suprised that you don't see a lot of higher-spec 406s for sale in the UK. First off, you lot generally seem to consider the 406 a supremely dull car and a "beige minicab", so of course there's no reason to get the bigger engine and leather interior and so on. Secondly, it seems that people who get their hands on TS models seem to hang on to them. Mine was a ridiculously lucky find. A couple of tiny scrapes on the rear bumper, otherwise in mint condition, complete dealership service log, with receipts. Only 121K km in 12 years when I bought it, most of the others I found had done twice that in fewer years. A surprising amount for sale with over 300K km on them, as well.

I know I like mine a lot, it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's comfortable, it handles really well and it makes a great noise when you downshift to third and hammer it on the motorway :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 8, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gorillian Dollars posted:

There's also an unknown substance stained on your passenger-side door.

I know, it's been there since I bought the car. :saddowns: I have no idea what it is, but I can't even feel it if I run my finger over it.

I think the dented door helps distract from that though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nubile Hillock posted:

My protege kicked the bucket last week, but I managed to get a pretty good deal on this thing:

Never knew 5 speed trucks were so much fun.

It's kinda like a rental in that you can beat it like a rented mule, except that even though you own it, the consequences never really come back to haunt you.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

some texas redneck posted:

Had nothing to do today, so I drove aimlessly with my crappy old DSLR. For about 150 miles. Lots of time driving down county roads, many of them dirt, some only wide enough for 1 car.
This is what I do almost every week - my Sunday Drives. Drive around the back roads, explore, take pictures.

I hope you had fun, at least.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ExecuDork posted:

This is what I do almost every week - my Sunday Drives. Drive around the back roads, explore, take pictures.

I hope you had fun, at least.

Is there really any other way to spend a sunday?

The biggest decision I face on a day like that is whether I take the car or the motorcycle.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's kinda like a rental in that you can beat it like a rented mule, except that even though you own it, the consequences never really come back to haunt you.

I may have to print that out and stick it on the (rattlecan orange accented) dash. I really don`t know why I didn`t get a truck sooner. The box is fiberglass so it`ll never rust, and the previous owner buffed and truck bed lined any parts that were rusting. The only things that need replacing are the leaf spring bushings and shackles along with the rear struts. I still can`t get over how much room to work there is and how cheap parts are :aaaaa:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bought an M3 (right) to keep my 328is company.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fingerling posted:

Against AI advice I got myself a baby 8 in the form of... the (mild) E34!

That is one sexy looking car. Post more! Hell come over to the BMW thread and do a picture dump!

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
So I've got to put it out there: I've added almost 400 miles on my 96 Grand Marquis in just over a week, and, with the exception of the mushy steering, the car is brilliant. It's all you could ever want a car to be! Why did they ever discontinue Mercury vehicles and the Panther platform? It's the most comfortable thing I've ever been in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

11BulletCatcher posted:

So I've got to put it out there: I've added almost 400 miles on my 96 Grand Marquis, and, withe the exception of the mushy steering, the car is brilliant. It's all you could ever want a car to be! Why did they ever discontinue Mercury vehicles and the Panther platform? It's the most comfortable thing I've ever been in.

It's a pretty good car, but the Panther platform wasn't going to stand up forever. The base Taurus has more power, better fuel economy, about the same interior dimensions, and better safety. Whether it's as comfortable -- maybe. I loved my Crown Vic but the the shimmy at speed from the live axle got a bit old.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Got it back from the body shop a few days ago. Some jerk had clobbered the left front fender to the point where the door wouldn't open and the fender scraped the tire. At least insurance took care of things with minimal hassle.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kimbo305 posted:

It's a pretty good car, but the Panther platform wasn't going to stand up forever. The base Taurus has more power, better fuel economy, about the same interior dimensions, and better safety. Whether it's as comfortable -- maybe. I loved my Crown Vic but the the shimmy at speed from the live axle got a bit old.

The ones with the Watts linkage has much better road manners.

11BulletCatcher posted:

So I've got to put it out there: I've added almost 400 miles on my 96 Grand Marquis in just over a week, and, with the exception of the mushy steering, the car is brilliant. It's all you could ever want a car to be! Why did they ever discontinue Mercury vehicles and the Panther platform? It's the most comfortable thing I've ever been in.

Its a very very dated platform going on 30 some years. They were built for comfort on the road, and they excelled at it very well. Mushy steering can be corrected, start with the tie rods and work inward. Though the later years received rack and pinion steering vs recirculating ball.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

IOwnCalculus posted:

So true. I beat the poo poo out of my truck just because I could, revving at all the ricers, clutch dump burnouts, and loading it full of gravel. It was the most fun I could have with 80hp. I couldn't break it, I just added more oil when it started knocking. I really need to finish it again.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 9, 2012

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Freshly polished and shined..
Now I've just got to swap the 17" M-sports for the 16" Rial winter rims :norway:

Ninjaedit: 4 hours later:

Bonus artsy shot:

Hermansen fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 10, 2012

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Okay, this will seem like a silly reason. I know why I like wagons (aka Avant's to me), but why do the goons like them? I'd love to hear everyone's reason for why they like an awesome wagon, and also give myself some additional ammo for when someone is all "ZOMG WHI U GET WAGONE?"

With the world in general, I've found that people either just get teh whole "wagons are awesome" thing or they just totally don't get it and never will; there really isn't an in-between. So Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hermansen posted:

Ninjaedit: 4 hours later:

Did you try to replace the RIAL middle Cap with the original BMW logo cap. A lot of the time the RIAL Salerno (looks like that type) has the same Cap size as the original Cap. And judging from the pic thats the case with your rims.
It looks a lot better, since the Salerno is very close in desing to several BMW orignal rims.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GramCracker posted:

Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!
Wagons have nice butts

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GramCracker posted:

Okay, this will seem like a silly reason. I know why I like wagons (aka Avant's to me), but why do the goons like them? I'd love to hear everyone's reason for why they like an awesome wagon, and also give myself some additional ammo for when someone is all "ZOMG WHI U GET WAGONE?"

With the world in general, I've found that people either just get teh whole "wagons are awesome" thing or they just totally don't get it and never will; there really isn't an in-between. So Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!

All the utility 99% of people need from an SUV, in a much nicer looking package that maintains better driving characteristics.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Did you try to replace the RIAL middle Cap with the original BMW logo cap. A lot of the time the RIAL Salerno (looks like that type) has the same Cap size as the original Cap. And judging from the pic thats the case with your rims.
It looks a lot better, since the Salerno is very close in desing to several BMW orignal rims.

I hadn't really though about it, they came with the car. But they are indeed Salerno rims, and I'm looking into it. Thanks. Looks like the caps used to be 9$ each at Tire Rack, now they're 15$.. dammit.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

GramCracker posted:

Where to start? I love wagons because they are the only body style that really stands out to me anymore. Plus, they're useful as hell. I'm in the middle of trying to unload my S4 (as you're well aware, GC) to get back into a wagon. Sure, it'll have literally half the horsepower and a much inferior transmission (no other option), but I can't wait.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GramCracker posted:

They're loving awesome because a hatch is a million times easier to load things into than a trunk, and a proper wagon usually has more cargo room than a typical hatchback.

But there are people who just don't get it, and even some who loathe the idea. My mom vehemently refused any idea of a station wagon, even though you could argue that her last two vehicles (a Suburban and a Trailblazer EXT) have more in common with the 1960s GM wagons she loathed growing up, than they do with anything else on the road today.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hermansen posted:

I hadn't really though about it, they came with the car. But they are indeed Salerno rims, and I'm looking into it. Thanks. Looks like the caps used to be 9$ each at Tire Rack, now they're 15$.. dammit.

Just use the Caps from your summer rims, and save 60$ :), just push them out from behind.

There is an easy solution to removing the Caps from the winter rims, if you don't want to keep the rial caps that is. Simply drive a small screw into the Rial Caps and you can easily pull em out. Saves some work :) wastes the Caps though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

DropShadow posted:

Where to start? I love wagons because they are the only body style that really stands out to me anymore. Plus, they're useful as hell.

All of the performance and fuel economy of a given model of sedan with SPAAAAACE. I fit two kegs and a ton of other crap in the back of my Saabaru which just wasn't going to happen with a sedan.

Few things makes me happier than comically fast wagons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GramCracker posted:

Everything everyone has said, plus expanded roof space for racks/boxes/carriers, plus dog friendly (inside, not Mitt style) because dogs are awesome, plus they're easier to sleep in if you absolutely have to.