Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Off the main thread topic, but is Looper really any good? I've heard the reviews are solid, but even with the cast (and my love of Doctor Who), the plot sounds loving stupid..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TShields posted:

Off the main thread topic, but is Looper really any good? I've heard the reviews are solid, but even with the cast (and my love of Doctor Who), the plot sounds loving stupid..

If you can ignore why they would need to send people back in time to have them incinerated, the movie is enjoyable. That part of the plot makes no sense though.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If you can ignore why they would need to send people back in time to have them incinerated, the movie is enjoyable. That part of the plot makes no sense though.

They give a sort-of explanation for that, there being some kind of "tagging" technology that makes it much harder to get away with disposing of bodies.

I also choose to believe that the future syndicates use the technology for things other than body disposal-- Abe's presence testifies to that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The movie also basically flat out states, in two different occasions, "don't think about the time travel to much you spergy dipshits," so that's always good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TShields posted:

It should be pointed out that the actual plot of the movie isn't revealed in commercials/trailers.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

muscles like this? posted:

It should be pointed out that the actual plot of the movie isn't revealed in commercials/trailers.

Maybe I should have said "concept" instead of "plot", but yeah I get what you're saying.. A bunch of friends went on Saturday and my wife and I opted out because the trailers hadn't really gripped us. They didn't exactly rave about it, but half of them also hated "Drive", so take it with a grain of salt.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

TShields posted:

Maybe I should have said "concept" instead of "plot", but yeah I get what you're saying.. A bunch of friends went on Saturday and my wife and I opted out because the trailers hadn't really gripped us. They didn't exactly rave about it, but half of them also hated "Drive", so take it with a grain of salt.

It's good. Go see it.

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Saw Looper over the weekend (great movie), and one subtle thing I liked had to do with the enforcers of the Rainmaker-- a mass-murdering terrorist/crime boss.

During the flashback/forward/whateverthefuck, showing Old Joe's timeline, he's accosted by a group of thugs, dressed in outfits almost reminiscent of Old West undertakers or something-- wide-brimmed hats and a particular cut to their coats.

This is part of what I took to be the whole point of the film: it's a western. The whole time-travel thing is incidental. Instead, it's about the guy who kills for money, but winds up protecting the proud woman and her son out on the plains and discovering he's really a good guy. In addition to the Mexican outfits you mentioned, note that everyone uses shotguns and 6 shooters. Also, when Kid Blue rides in on his motorcycle near the end, he's firing over the front of it like a horse.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

chrmnbill posted:

This is part of what I took to be the whole point of the film: it's a western. The whole time-travel thing is incidental. Instead, it's about the guy who kills for money, but winds up protecting the proud woman and her son out on the plains and discovering he's really a good guy. In addition to the Mexican outfits you mentioned, note that everyone uses shotguns and 6 shooters. Also, when Kid Blue rides in on his motorcycle near the end, he's firing over the front of it like a horse.

It's a sci-fi western noir film! Hooray genre mashup.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's also a gangster movie.

Ok, I mentioned it has a bunch of subtle things in it, here's a few.

Lots of awful people have went on endlessly about how the time travel in it doesn't make any sense. This is almost def. intended, though never mentioned. No one in the movie is concerned with how exactly causality is being hosed with, you see half-assed explanations and even a couple 'Don't worry about it's from various people but everyone acts fairly contradictory to their own advice, as if no onee in universe even really understands it. Abe (A gangster sent back from the future) tells Joe that they have to keep his friend alive to close the loop otherwise they might mess with the time stream. Happily ignoring the fact that his very presence there fucks with the time stream.

Plenty of people are seeing the part where Bruce Willis shouts something like 'Don't think about it it's not important!' as a direct message to the audience, but to me it just betrays the attitude everyone has to this. Time Travel doesn't make sense, and no one really gives a gently caress.
I mean, just look at what they even use this technology for.

The little boy in the movie is obviously the rainmaker. Theres some subtle things in there about his origin (prosthetic jaw, rising from nothing, killing loopers, watched his mum die), but it's also implied he invents time travel. He's incredibly good with technology for a 4-6 year old, building a wireless radio thing in a day from spare parts. This is never outright acknowledged by the movie, but fairly solidly implied

And finally, Abe (Future Guy) is the future version of Blue, the fuckup kid who shoots his own leg. They have the same eyes and the way they act toward each other really makes it obvious if you look.

Then there are tons of background details. Almost everything in the movie comes up again later as a plot point. Its a very dense movie with little in the way of wasted moments.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Looper spoilers
And finally, Abe (Future Guy) is the future version of Blue, the fuckup kid who shoots his own leg. They have the same eyes and the way they act toward each other really makes it obvious if you look.

Then there are tons of background details. Almost everything in the movie comes up again later as a plot point. Its a very dense movie with little in the way of wasted moments.

I thought they might be pointing at something, but Abe doesn't walk with a limp and Kid Blue does (Abe also mocks Kid Blue for shooting himself in the leg. I probably wouldn't mock myself for being an idiot).
Also, nothing happens to Abe's hand when he smashes the poo poo out of Kid Blue's hand with a hammer. I was specifically watching to see if anything would happen because I thought the same thing you did

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Oct 1, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I thought they might be pointing at something, but Abe doesn't walk with a limp and Kid Blue does (Abe also mocks Kid Blue for shooting himself in the leg. I probably wouldn't mock myself for being an idiot).
Also, nothing happens to Abe's hand when he smashes the poo poo out of Kid Blue's hand with a hammer. I was specifically watching to see if anything would happen because I thought the same thing you did

Its conceivable he gets the leg fixed in the future, and him smashing Blues hand doesn't cut it off or break it permanently. As for the mocking him, poo poo yeah I'd make fun out of my past self for shooting myself in the leg, dumbass me. I guess it's not 100% definite though.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
The early scene in Looper, wherein Kid Blue condescendingly describes the mechanics of the blunderbuss, sets up a couple different scenes. He says something about how a blunderbuss can't miss within fifteen paces, while a gat has accuracy and range. This is exactly why he dies in the end - he can't aim because of the dust, but Joe can't miss. The last scene where Young Joe is standing in the field impotently, with a loaded gun, knowing that there's no way he can close the distance to his older self but is in perfect range of his own bod. Talk about Chekhov's fuckin gun.

There were a couple other things that related to the way time travel affected Old and Young Joe. Old Joe hesitated and pleaded with Sara to move because he now had fond memories of her, due to Young Joe's time spent at the farm. Old Joe had it in him to kill a kid, because he had a long checkered life, and because he had seen firsthand how bad things would get. When Young Joe goes into the field to kill Cid, he realizes it's not even an option for him.

And I guess you could get some mileage out of the wholeKid Blue being a younger Abe theory. Abe really does seem to try to keep him out of harm's way, and the kid seems both weirdly desperate for Abe's approval and really freaked out by the sight of Abe's dead body.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
You peeps should check out the Looper thread in CD, there's a bunch of discussion re: Abe/Kid Blue. And everything else.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

An observer posted:

You peeps should check out the Looper thread in CD, there's a bunch of discussion re: Abe/Kid Blue. And everything else.

Right now it's mostly people arguing about gender politics, and other people angry that time travel doesn't work the way they expect it to.
a cool little subtle moment from the movie: At one point young Joe is getting dressed to go out to the club and as he combs his hair he stops and checks his hairline to see if he's balding. Which is funny, because we know how bald old Joe gets.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Little Blue Couch posted:

There were a couple other things that related to the way time travel affected Old and Young Joe. Old Joe hesitated and pleaded with Sara to move because he now had fond memories of her, due to Young Joe's time spent at the farm. Old Joe had it in him to kill a kid, because he had a long checkered life, and because he had seen firsthand how bad things would get. When Young Joe goes into the field to kill Cid, he realizes it's not even an option for him.

The moment when Young Joe goes into the field to kill Cid, and realises it would be morally wrong, shouldn't that have stopped Old Joe from hunting him?

Aipsh has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Oct 4, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

The moment when Young Joe goes into the field to kill Cid, and realises it would be morally wrong, shouldn't that have stopped Old Joe from hunting him?

Both had lived different lives, basically. What you think is wrong now may not be the same as what you think is wrong 30 years and -1 wife from now. that was kinda a big deal in the movie.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
In Looper one of the characters accidentally discharges their pistol inside a room with concrete walls, and the gunshot sound effect is loving loud and echoes like crazy. So drat satisfying.

Also from Looper. Kid Blue is unloading Joe's safe and reaches for his gat because he heard a gunshot from outside. Later, when we are seeing Old Joe's perspective, we find out that the gunshot is Old Joe blunderbussing the gently caress out of a gangster sitting in the getaway truck.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
In Kill Bill Vol. 2 when The Bride is speaking Mandarin to Pai Mei she actually speaks a mix of Mandarin and English. "Wo speak Japanese hen hao". I've watched the movie a dozen times and never caught it.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

In Quantum of Solace after the boat chase when Bond calls Mi6 looking for info on Dominic Greene the guy typing his name on the fancy screen mistypes Grwe and has to delete it and type again. Always makes me smile.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Algol Star posted:

In Quantum of Solace after the boat chase when Bond calls Mi6 looking for info on Dominic Greene the guy typing his name on the fancy screen mistypes Grwe and has to delete it and type again. Always makes me smile.
That was a nice touch. He spells it G, R, double E, N, E, which is why it was typed wrong.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

poonchasta posted:

In Looper one of the characters accidentally discharges their pistol inside a room with concrete walls, and the gunshot sound effect is loving loud and echoes like crazy. So drat satisfying.

Also from Looper. Kid Blue is unloading Joe's safe and reaches for his gat because he heard a gunshot from outside. Later, when we are seeing Old Joe's perspective, we find out that the gunshot is Old Joe blunderbussing the gently caress out of a gangster sitting in the getaway truck.

Just occurred to me that the truck is the same at the end and that's why the windshield is blasted out.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Hughlander posted:

Just occurred to me that the truck is the same at the end and that's why the windshield is blasted out.

Nice. I had the same realization while I was writing that post. I wanna go see Looper a third time.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Alouicious posted:

The movie also basically flat out states, in two different occasions, "don't think about the time travel to much you spergy dipshits," so that's always good.
In loopers something really complicated and kind of non-nonsensical happens, but before you can think about it they distract you. It takes place when the old version of the first guy who let his loop run is trying desperately trying to get to some destination before they cut off all his limbs. They find the young version of the kid and start cutting his limbs off, and the old version mysteriously has those limbs disappear. Now this doesn't really make sense because the guy would have lived 30 years without his leg and wouldn't have been able to drive anyway. But as soon as this scene ends there is a naked lady and rear end on screen to distract us.

There's also another spot where Bruce Willis tells his younger self that if they start talking about the time travel implications we'll be here all day making diagrams with straws.

I think JGL was wearing prosthetics the whole time to look more like Bruce Willis. His face was different.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The little boy in the movie is it's also implied he invents time travel. He's incredibly good with technology for a 4-6 year old, building a wireless radio thing in a day from spare parts. This is never outright acknowledged by the movie, but fairly solidly implied
:aaaaa:

widunder
May 2, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Looper was basically Subtle_Movie_Moments.avi. Its just utterly packed with references to earlier scenes, subtle subplots, etc etc.
Not just that, it's like 10 great movies you've seen over the years all baked into one. I love when film makers love the same movies I do and then do something great with it but that still has its own legs (until later period Tarantino). But it's almost kind of bizarre casting Bruce Willis since he was in 12 Monkeys which has a stupid amount of similarities,

widunder
May 2, 2002

Physical posted:

In loopers something really complicated and kind of non-nonsensical happens, but before you can think about it they distract you. It takes place when the old version of the first guy who let his loop run is trying desperately trying to get to some destination before they cut off all his limbs. They find the young version of the kid and start cutting his limbs off, and the old version mysteriously has those limbs disappear. Now this doesn't really make sense because the guy would have lived 30 years without his leg and wouldn't have been able to drive anyway. But as soon as this scene ends there is a naked lady and rear end on screen to distract us.

There's also another spot where Bruce Willis tells his younger self that if they start talking about the time travel implications we'll be here all day making diagrams with straws.

I think JGL was wearing prosthetics the whole time to look more like Bruce Willis. His face was different.

:aaaaa:
His face was even digitally altered I believe. It was cool and nicely done - and especially how he mimicked Willis really well (even to a point where not even Willis acted that Willis-y in the movie).

Regarding it telling you not to overthink the time travelling, I love that Jeff Daniels' speech is pretty much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Go post in the Looper thread dudes, this is not PYF Looper Moment

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

bows1 posted:

Go post in the Looper thread dudes, this is not PYF Looper Moment
These are all subtle moments. Chill, whale, chill.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Physical posted:

These are all subtle moments. Chill, whale, chill.

The problem is when it turns into posts upon posts full of nothing but spoiler text. Try to keep that stuff in the appropriate thread, folks.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
In Gary Sinise's adaptation of Of Mice and Men, there is a great moment in which the actors manage to communicate more than words ever could in a single look. After Lennie kills Curley's wife, Candy calls George into the barn to assess the situation. They both look at the corpse for a while, and then they look at each other. That shot gets me every time. Everything both men are feeling at that moment is poured out without a single line of dialog. It's a really beautiful moment that really conveys all the emotional turmoil the characters are going through. And it's only for a couple of seconds.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just watched Blade Runner for the first time in probably 15 years. The scene of Rutger Hauer and Daryl Hannah when they're alone together is incredible each go through like 15 micro expressions on their face then return to neutral almost instantly.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This seems dumb compared to most other posts but in Argo the eyeglasses actually had lenses in them, as oppose to the typically lens-less eyeglasses in most movies. I just really liked that you could see reflection in the glass.

Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.
Toward the beginning of Cabin in the Woods, as the kids are getting ready to leave, the stoner character pulls up in his ancient, mildly unsafe-looking car and steps out carrying a massive bong. He collapses the bong down so it looks like a coffee cup as he's talking to a couple of the other characters. While speaking, he turns around and locks his car door before they all walk away to go on their weekend trip. Thing is, you can see that the driver's side window is still all the way down. On a car clearly too old to have any sort of security system.

I noticed this when I saw it in the theater and kind of laughed at it as a throwaway joke. On watching the commentary recently, though, I found out that Drew Goddard was really intent on having that little moment. He's big on cramming the parts of the scene that aren't the focus with little things that help subtly explain who the characters are and how they think, and he thought it was really important that that character lock a car with all the windows rolled down.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
Just got back from watching Skyfall, and there's a nice shout-out to Casino Royale when Bond enters the Macau casino and tells Eve "Stop touching your ear".

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I just watched the first Scream, and one thing that stuck out was that towards the end when Sydney is running from Ghostface and calls the cops, she tells the dispatcher that he's going to try and kill her, not that he is going to kill her.

I really like that she fights her way out, not just manages to escape, like in a lot of other slasher movies.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The new James Bond films have some brilliant little touches. In Quantum of Solace, Bond calls MI6 to do a name check on Dominic Greene. As he spells out the name, the computer display on MI6's end recognises his voice and starts spelling it out to do a search. Bond pronounces it "G-R-double E-N-E." For a second, the computer mis-hears him on the "double E" and displays "WE" before correcting itself.

The computer stuff in those movies is incredibly dumb, but I liked that little unnecessary extra detail.

Hames
May 7, 2007

Leovinus posted:

The new James Bond films have some brilliant little touches. In Quantum of Solace, Bond calls MI6 to do a name check on Dominic Greene. As he spells out the name, the computer display on MI6's end recognises his voice and starts spelling it out to do a search. Bond pronounces it "G-R-double E-N-E." For a second, the computer mis-hears him on the "double E" and displays "WE" before correcting itself.

The computer stuff in those movies is incredibly dumb, but I liked that little unnecessary extra detail.

I thought it was that he says "double..." and the computer assumes W, then corrects itself after he finishes "double E". I don't think it types "WE".

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Hames posted:

I thought it was that he says "double..." and the computer assumes W, then corrects itself after he finishes "double E". I don't think it types "WE".

We can check about ten posts up where algol star already posted this already posted this.

Algol Star posted:

Well there you go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the Tarsem Singh movie, Immortals, in the scene where Zeus and the other gods are fighting the Titans whenever the Titans die they move in slow motion. This is because the entire fight scene is actually happening at an accelerated rate, you just never see it from a mortal perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

In the Tarsem Singh movie, Immortals, in the scene where Zeus and the other gods are fighting the Titans whenever the Titans die they move in slow motion. This is because the entire fight scene is actually happening at an accelerated rate, you just never see it from a mortal perspective.

I loved that scene. It was an unusual mix of grace and gore. Tarsem Singh still may turn out to be something special.

On Blade Runner, after one scene where Deckhard gets the stuffing knocked out of him, he goes back and has a drink (something clear, vodka or gin I think) The shot is backlit, and so as he takes a drink, a bit of blood backwashes into the glass. It's not clever plot forshadowing, it is just a beautiful shot.