Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vi is also trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no such thing as a good linux text editor. even nano/pico fucks up simple poo poo like save vs save as.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I dunno vim is pretty good though I think there could be better 3rd party autocomplete support

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i just use xcode

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

i just use sublime text 2 because it suits my needs

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
vi ffor sysadmin
emacs for 'grammin nerd poo poo

intellij for making money

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

why does the ide matter at all

That depends if your IDE is using so much RAM there's no space for your code to run.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Zombywuf posted:

That depends if your IDE is using so much RAM there's no space for your code to run.

:rolleyes:

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
sublime text 2

suits. my. needs.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I give IntelliJ 1.5G of heap...and yet...somehow that's not very much??? What years is this? Halp my computer is broken it says 8G RAM but my computer has 8M only and when I looked in PC magazine last week EDO ram was $6/M! There's no way I have $50000 of RAM in my computer!!,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

salted hash browns posted:

sublime text 2

suits. my. needs.

its cool that you have such minimal needs

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

rotor posted:

its actually a v. good text editor

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor posted:

it really is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweeper posted:

its actually a v. good text editor

yeah, like i said

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i know it seems like i was but i was not being sarcastic

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Man, I just looked up the features of Sublime Text 2. It's so cute.

Goto Anything - ido mode and non-interactive search, together at last!

Multiple Selections - what a stunningly complicated way to do search and replace.

Command Palette - a tab completing command line...

Distraction free mode - how about not filling up the display with useless crap guys.

Split Editing - WHAT IS THIS SPACE TECHNOLOGY?

Plugin API - is this even worth listing as a feature in a text editor anymore?

Customise Anything - well isn't that nice.

Cross Platform - really scraping the barrel to find something to fill the whitespace at the bottom of the page with this one.

From this I can only conclude that Emacs is the pinacle of text editing technology and everything else is just catching up.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor posted:

i know it seems like i was but i was not being sarcastic

i'm gonna chalk this one up to too much shaggarin' in this thread. no one can tell the difference anymore

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Zombywuf posted:

Multiple Selections - what a stunningly complicated way to do search and replace.

your an idiot. cheers

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Zombywuf posted:

Man, I just looked up the features of Sublime Text 2. It's so cute.

Goto Anything - ido mode and non-interactive search, together at last!

Command Palette - a tab completing command line...

Distraction free mode - how about not filling up the display with useless crap guys.

Split Editing - WHAT IS THIS SPACE TECHNOLOGY?

Plugin API - is this even worth listing as a feature in a text editor anymore?

Customise Anything - well isn't that nice.

Cross Platform - really scraping the barrel to find something to fill the whitespace at the bottom of the page with this one.

From this I can only conclude that Emacs is the pinacle of text editing technology and everything else is just catching up.

Where's this from

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

Where's this from

My own diseased mind.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

sublime text 2 for simple stuff / your own code and pycharms for other people's code

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're using a text editor its not code.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Real coders use a hex editor to write binaries directly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
current java status: velocity rules.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Real programmers at least write native code, etc etc kill me

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shaggar posted:

if you're using a text editor its not code.

this except the literal opposite

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Zombywuf posted:

Real coders use a hex editor to write binaries directly.

so.... is it just me???

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this except the literal opposite

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
gently caress i just agreed with tiny bug child

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i write hex files but they're not for code, welp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i write hex files because i have a side job as a witch

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I write raw hex because I have a side job as a switch.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zombywuf posted:

I write raw hex because I have a side job as a switch.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i have written one program in hexadecimal. :smug:

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

what'd it do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably print a hex program

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

All Hat posted:

what'd it do

probably wrote "hello world", if I did it more recently it would say "butts"

i think it was actually just writing assembly and hex editing it

http://illegalargumentexception.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/assembler-using-debugexe-to-write-dos.html

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
this is beautiful

quote:

Lisp Without a Brain

If in reading this introduction, you've come to realize that "Hey, Tcl is just like Lisp, but without a brain, and with syntax on steroids", you might wonder why Lisp isn't a more popular scripting language than Tcl. Lisp hasn't been a complete failure, by the way; it is used as an extension language by users of some popular programs, notably AutoCAD. But Tcl has been much more successful. It has been compiled into hundreds of larger programs, including AOLserver, which is why we wrote this book.
As a software developer, you're unlikely to get rich. So you might as well try to get through your life in such a way that you make a difference to the world. Tcl illustrates one way:

make something that is simple enough for almost everyone to understand
give away your source code
explain how to weave your source code in with other systems
In the case of AOLserver, for example, Jim Davidson and Doug McKee had only a few months to build the whole server from scratch. They wanted users to be able to write small programs that ran inside the server process. They therefore needed a safe interpreted language so that a programming error by one user didn't crash the server and bring down all the Web services for an organization.
Tcl was available. Tcl was easy to download and designed to fit inside larger application programs. But the Tcl interpreter as distributed had one terrible bug: it wasn't thread safe, i.e., you couldn't have two copies of the Tcl interpreter running inside the same program at the same time. Doug and Jim had to read through the Tcl source code and modify it to be thread safe. So it was critically important for them that Tcl was open-source and simple enough so as to not require months or years of study to understand the whole system.

Compare this to Lisp. Some of the best and brightest computer scientists raised money to build commercial Lisp implementations that they then went out and hawked in an indifferent and confused marketplace. They succeeded only in breaking their hearts and their investors' wallets. A handful of academics produced free open-source implementations, notably CMU Common Lisp (see http://www.cons.org/cmucl/) and various versions of Scheme (see the links from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language); Scheme 48 is the closest to Tcl in spirit). But these multi-megabyte monsters weren't designed to fit neatly into someone else's program. Nor was there any document explaining how to do it.

Lisp developers have the satisfaction of knowing that they got it right 30 years before anyone else. But that's about all they have to show for 40 years of hard work and hundreds of millions of dollars in government and private funding. These days, most former Lisp programmers are stuck using Unix and Microsoft programming environments and, not only do they have to put up with these inferior environments, but they're saddled with the mournful knowledge that these environments are inferior.

bitter caremad lisp programmers angry that making something people understand and can use is better than making something ~perfect~

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
a witch cursed me with hex but luckily my family saved me with good ol' html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

For Everyone:
Racket is an awesome lisp, maybe the best?

for Common Lispers:
Racket is an awesome lisp, maybe the bestp