Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

We get a free copy of the game and then a champagne party once things have been proven to be going ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
An article on Sega Hardlight describes their small and agile iOs development team of 21 people.

piffle. We do that on 4-5 people. :colbert:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

4-5? Luxury, my last project was me QAing, a dev, half an artist and a PM who didnt give a toss.

..uphill both ways, in the snow.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I have a really nice framed copy of APB with my name on it. It's hanging on my wall so I never forget. :allears:

EDIT: Also my transition to designer officially begins this week. Now to find a replacement.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I have a really nice framed copy of APB with my name on it. It's hanging on my wall so I never forget. :allears:

EDIT: Also my transition to designer officially begins this week. Now to find a replacement.

I found one of those framed copies in the recycling centre. :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Category Fun! posted:

I found one of those framed copies in the recycling centre. :(

I'm convinced more copies of Earth & Beyond were opened to make those framed things for the dev team than were opened by the players. <glances up at his framed copy>

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Monster w21 Faces posted:

It would have cost $300 for me to do that. Still kinda disappointed I didn't jump on it, but... $300, yeesh.

Has anyone working digital ever done up a fake box for their game? Coins and such are cool, I guess, but I still kind of want a DVD box. Even if it's empty - maybe like, press a CD of all the concept materials or something.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
My friend had plans to get a tattoo of every game he worked on. That way he could walk into an interview, say "Want to see my resume?" and then just roll up his sleeve. Then he got assigned to Wizards of Waverly Place, followed by Night at the Museum 2. Somewhere between those two he stopped talking about his rad resume tattoo plan.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I never did get my copy of the game I worked on, but it wasn't really a promise.

At least at LucasArts, they said they would give me a team shirt which was pretty cool of them. Also nice of them to ask what size I wanted. And seeing as I'm here. Friday was a blast. My job had an sidewalk art festival (too bad it's washed away now), so here was my entry with my two kick rear end co workers.

Boba Jones!

Not sure I won the best Star Wars inspired art though. Even if I didn't, it was fun. (The pain in the knees and hands being sore for these last two days were worth it)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We got a copy of the game, plus on Thursday we had some kind of awesome scavenger hunt thing at Fishermans Wharf. And than a party with an open bar at some place in Golden Gate Park. Oh yeah, and a T-shirt

It really owned

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2012

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
So in the past i have worked on a couple of game-mods, and i want to get that into my resume somehow but i don't know what to categorize it under. Because it isn't professional experience. Suggestions?

Thanks for the answers!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Bloody Wanker posted:

So in the past i have worked on a couple of game-mods, and i want to get that into my resume somehow but i don't know what to categorize it under. Because it isn't professional experience. Suggestions?

Thanks for the answers!

Just put it under past projects or additional experience.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Bloody Wanker posted:

Thanks for the answers!

Structure all your relevant non pro experience into a pile of "personal projects". That's what I did and I just finished my first week at Riot so it's clearly foolproof :toot:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

waffledoodle posted:

My friend had plans to get a tattoo of every game he worked on. That way he could walk into an interview, say "Want to see my resume?" and then just roll up his sleeve. Then he got assigned to Wizards of Waverly Place, followed by Night at the Museum 2. Somewhere between those two he stopped talking about his rad resume tattoo plan.

I wanted to do this as well. Then I started working on my second game and realized that a reminder on my skin for that would probably break me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Disney Core Games just gave out simple zip-up jackets with the core games logo on them and Avalanche gives out embroidered patches of a title's logo to put on the jacket. Kind of cool.

This is in addition to free copies, t-shirts, and comp time if there was crunch before release.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
hey guys, I haven't posted in here for a while, last time I was in here I was all :supaburn: about encroaching 2 years after graduation and still being unemployed (well I had a job at a warehouse for 3 months but that was just a seasonal position)

a few months back a friend who got a job at IBM sent me an e-mail askin' if I was still unemployed. long-story-short I got a position at IBM now, it technically will only last 3 years but they said that as long as I prove my worth they will try to make me an offer for a permanent position.

so now I guess I can relax and do more hobbyist-grade development, mingle at GDCs, and make sure after these 3 years I will be ready to go, or stay, who knows? I am sure having IBM on my resume would look good at least :unsmith:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Congratulations! That's definitely good. At this stage, almost any employment is a Good Thing™ and employment somewhat related to your field is super great.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

NextTime000 posted:

a few months back a friend who got a job at IBM sent me an e-mail askin' if I was still unemployed. long-story-short I got a position at IBM now, it technically will only last 3 years but they said that as long as I prove my worth they will try to make me an offer for a permanent position.
Hopefully your friend told you this, but be aware that IBM almost never brings anyone on full time. They will dangle the heck out of that carrot, but definitely don't count on it. Extend the contract, sure, but full-time, not so much.

... but I mean, who cares, you're there for 3 years already. Congrats!

Also - does this mean you're in Colorado? Or are you at a different office?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 8, 2012

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Shalinor posted:

Also - does this mean you're in Colorado? Or are you at a different office?

I am at the Michigan Delivery Center, I guess this place has only been open for a few years so they are still trying to scoop-up people to fill up the building (a small chunk of the building is still an abandoned branch of the MSU Credit Union, and MSU or whomever actually owns the building won't let us expand into it until ID-card scans meet a certain quota)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

3 years - longer than most games studios last, congrats you've got what'd be a "long term job" in the games industry.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
PAX East Badges are up

http://east.paxsite.com/registration

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Also, what's the good hotel to stay at for PAX East?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Dishonored, the game I've been working on for the past couple years, comes out tonight! Reviews are pretty good so far, I think it's an awesome game, and it's great to finally see people starting to get their hands on it.

Also, midnight launch at arboretum gamestop in Austin, if anyone wants to come by and say hi :)

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Resource posted:

Dishonored, the game I've been working on for the past couple years, comes out tonight! Reviews are pretty good so far, I think it's an awesome game, and it's great to finally see people starting to get their hands on it.

Also, midnight launch at arboretum gamestop in Austin, if anyone wants to come by and say hi :)

Congrats! I used to work with a few people there at Midway Austin before it closed down. Really glad to see it doing well so far.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Resource posted:

just want you to know. I want to play your game so hard right now.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Resource posted:

Congrats!

... and choosing between your game and X-Com was hard. X-Com won out, but only because X-Com was, like, my entire childhood. I desperately want to play your game too, and will.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Thanks! :)

Shalinor posted:

Congrats!

... and choosing between your game and X-Com was hard. X-Com won out, but only because X-Com was, like, my entire childhood. I desperately want to play your game too, and will.

I'm looking forward to X-Com too, right after the midnight launch I'm going home to play it. It looks like it's going to kick rear end.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Resource posted:

Thanks! :)

I'm looking forward to X-Com too, right after the midnight launch I'm going home to play it. It looks like it's going to kick rear end.

Apparently Harvey and Raphael are going to be there as well, and ya'll are giving out some shwag, nice!

http://www.destructoid.com/dishonored-gets-a-midnight-launch-event-in-austin-236296.phtml

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of X-com, I saw this on my FB feed today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pyJxcETmc

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Speaking of X-com, I saw this on my FB feed today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pyJxcETmc

This is pretty fun. I always wonder whose idea these types of videos are when they come from a big company like this. Marketing? Or the people involved take it to marketing who approve?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Nothing ever came of the "We should do a Goon Meet at GDC Austin", sadly, but I did meet ComradeFlynn at the Kabam booth. Being the only goon to wear their avatar on their chest occasionally has advantages. :)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Shalinor posted:

Congrats!

I crumbled and bought both. :negative:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Also, what's the good hotel to stay at for PAX East?

Convenience: Anything in Seattle within walking distance. I think I stayed at the Hilton last time and it was all PAX folks.

Cost: Stay out in Bellevue. It's cheaper if you take the bus in, otherwise it's like a $20 cab fare.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Cab fare from Bellevue to Boston is probably a bit more than $20.

As for decent hotels that might still have rooms (Westin was booked within the hour):

- Renaissance (walking distance, ~300/night)
- Seaport Boston (right across from the Ren, ~200/night)
- Intercontinental Boston (right over the bridge, ~170/night)
- Boston harbor Hotel (right across from Intercontinental, ~300/night)

After that you're looking at cab/bus rides to and from and it's pretty much a tossup. Cheapest option is probably the Omni Parker, in the ballpark of $180 a night.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gearman posted:

Cab fare from Bellevue to Boston is probably a bit more than $20.

Psh, only $8,402.38 according to TaxiFareFinder. Not very convenient though, kind of a long drive.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Then stay in Seattle, walk over to Boston :colbert: You might save some dollars.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Hooray I am flying to San Francisco for an interview :3:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

The XCOM thread is moving too fast to get my questions answered. I'm still trying to decide between Dishonored and XCOM. How much choice/player agency is there in XCOM? Is there more than one way to complete a mission? Is there a narrative? Can you change how the story plays out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

XCom is a game about tactical combat and global stratergy. Multiple ways to finish a mission extends to choosing how an alien should die. (gunshot wound, laser wound, exploding grenade, exploding car, exploding rocket)

I also got Dishonoured. Oh god the weekend cant come soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So...it's been a while, but I just thought I'd ask. Anyone work at or know any developers in Los Angeles that are currently looking for testers?

Resource posted:

Congrats! What role did you play on the game, if you don't mind me asking?