Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

krushgroove posted:

Thank you for this, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this.

FWIW, I don't see how the camera could be a major factor of choosing a phone, much less influence anyone's choice of OS. But then I carry around a really good pocket camera all the time, so I'm not limited to using just my phone for pictures. Most of my phone pictures are for Instagram or the rare times I don't have my camera.
Different people have different priorities. I'm a shutterbug, I take about 2000 photos a year. I'm also a minimalist and prefer to carry/own as little as possible.

e: I also like phones that are not the size of skyscrapers and get regular OS updates. Give me an Android phone that gets proper OS updates, is the size of an iPhone and has a good camera and I'll be the first one to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I think you're just in the wrong thread.

The camera on my GNex takes noticeably better pictures than my X2 and the pictures look just fine for me to slap a lovely filter on and throw on Instagram, so I'm happy.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

What's the best camera app at the moment?

I've been envious of my iPhone buddies photos for probably a year now (meaning not just since the 5 has come out), but I see in this article that...

I don't have a Galaxy Nexus, though, but I do use stock Android and I still feel my camera sucks.

I can't comment on any apps, but I got the new Galaxy Nexus from Google and the camera seems very good. I'm no camera expert but it's significantly better than other smartphone cameras I've seen recently. E: and that definitely includes iphones

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not that good. Perhaps it's ok for a generation of people who are ok with stretching out a tiny thumbnail across their entire screen as a wallpaper to the point it unrecognizable. My GNex takes fuzzy and grainy pictures even in the best lighting. Pictures look acceptable because apps like instagram take your pictures, shrink them and cover them in filters. This covers up any flaws in terrible phone cameras and also looks trendy.

The sad thing about this is that gone is the photo album with photos that you could get high quality scans of. Now what we have is a bunch of 800x600 images covered in garbage on Facebook that people think are memories.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't know about you but when I look back at my family's photo albums most of the pictures are blurry, under/overexposed, or focused on the wrong part of the picture. Maybe your photo albums were filled with SLR shots but most people just used crappy cheap cameras that don't even stand up to a bad phone camera.

And on top of all that you had a lot less pictures in general because film and developing weren't free.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't know about you but when I look back at my family's photo albums most of the pictures are blurry, under/overexposed, or focused on the wrong part of the picture. Maybe your photo albums were filled with SLR shots but most people just used crappy cheap cameras that don't even stand up to a bad phone camera.

And on top of all that you had a lot less pictures in general because film and developing weren't free.

Good post.

TBH, my current opinion is that while the vast majority of people may be able to tell the difference between iphone-quality photos and Galaxy Nexus-quality photos, they just don't care that much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Install Gentoo posted:

I guess your family is just really bad a taking pictures I guess. With consumer film, it's not that hard to set zoom in a couple seconds and take a decent picture with a decent camera.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I definitely regret getting the Galaxy Nexus because of the camera, I'll probably be switching it out for another model soon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

I guess your family is just really bad a taking pictures I guess. With consumer film, it's not that hard to set zoom in a couple seconds and take a decent picture with a decent camera.

You're starting from a stupid point: the idea that people actually had good cameras instead of the cheapest unconfigurable 35mm point and shoot you'd grab at the store. Cameras that had no zoom at all, and either fixed focus only, or a basic autofocus. And then they'd put the cheapest film in them and take them to the cheapest developing stations.

Like yeah sure if you had actually shelled out the money for a nice camera and took your time framing shots and adjusting things and went to a decent developing place you'd get nice pictures out of it - but people didn't do that as a habitual thing.

Maybe your relatives were anal-retentive film camera spergs back in the day but most people weren't, they'd just get out the old cheapy Kodak and take some snapshots. Certainly if you went and grabbed some teenage kid's photo album from 1995 the photos in it would the approximate quality and competence of phone pictures up on Facebook today - they'd even have the half the Instagram filter effects preapplied by clumsy camera use. :haw:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Can we just agree that some people don't care that much about the quality of their cellphone camera while some people care a lot?

I mean in the end what we're discussing here is kind of a personal thing anyway. You buy whichever phone does or has whatever is most important to you and you only. It doesn't matter if you choose your smartphone based on the OS or the form factor or the camera quality or whatever as long as you're happy with it.

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

Probably been asked before, but as it says in the OP, a goon made Out of Milk? Love it. My wife and I both bought pro before I knew it was goon-made.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Install Gentoo posted:

On the other side of the coin, my grandfather worked for Kodac for like a million years, and believe you me, the shot a lot of film. They way they looked at it, if a roll of film cost $5 and getting it developed cost another $5, then if you like 3 / 28 photos your cost per happy memory is like $3. So who cares about filling up a roll, just get the photos.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I agree cellphone pics are the new medium for family keepsakes (shudder) but if people are using only their telephone to document their life memories, well, they are asking for lovely memories and that's unfortunate for them. I use my NEX-5N for things I actually care about looking back on forever from now.

/on topic - as a frequent user of Tweetlanes, I tried out Plume today and really like it. So, does Tweetlanes really not have an option for trending topics?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I agree cellphone pics are the new medium for family keepsakes (shudder) but if people are using only their telephone to document their life memories, well, they are asking for lovely memories and that's unfortunate for them. I use my NEX-5N for things I actually care about looking back on forever from now.

/on topic - as a frequent user of Tweetlanes, I tried out Plume today and really like it. So, does Tweetlanes really not have an option for trending topics?

Tweetlanes doesn't even let you delete your dang tweets yet.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh phone chat: my wife had a nice canon dslr and she sold it with plans to upgrade. She never got around to upgrading because we use our GNex's cameras all the time and the pictures are just fine. She likes to instagram some pics but I think instagram is retarded as hell.

Another cool thing about smart/camera phones is that when I come home and my phone connects to my wifi, all the pictures I took while we were out automatically backup to my sugarsync folder on my computer.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm using Reduce Photo Size to shrink down the random phone photos from ~3mb to ~200kb before I send them out.. because 90% of the time they are drunk rhubarb and I can send them more easily later...

Thing is, I'm wondering if there is anything out there that can simply the workflow (I know... you're wondering how simple can you get)? Examples of how they might do this is automatically shrink to a preset size and instantly open the share menu... or perhaps one button to do that etc... or somehow reduce the number of taps necessary to achieve the goal of an image that's been re-sized, rotated if necessary (for some reason, it the app linked above doesn't read the EXIF rotation tag) and maybe cropped (very optional on that last one).

Don't get me wrong, Reduce Image Size is great and does it's job... it may be there's nothing better out there, in which case anyone looking should use it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Heners_UK posted:

I'm using Reduce Photo Size to shrink down the random phone photos from ~3mb to ~200kb before I send them out.. because 90% of the time they are drunk rhubarb and I can send them more easily later...

Thing is, I'm wondering if there is anything out there that can simply the workflow (I know... you're wondering how simple can you get)? Examples of how they might do this is automatically shrink to a preset size and instantly open the share menu... or perhaps one button to do that etc... or somehow reduce the number of taps necessary to achieve the goal of an image that's been re-sized, rotated if necessary (for some reason, it the app linked above doesn't read the EXIF rotation tag) and maybe cropped (very optional on that last one).

Don't get me wrong, Reduce Image Size is great and does it's job... it may be there's nothing better out there, in which case anyone looking should use it.

Are you drunk right now?

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

Kumquat posted:

I'm on a Verizon gnex and I've synced my work email (exchange account) but I only get notifications for emails that go directly into my inbox, not any of my sub-folders. I've been googling the issue and it seems like the only workaround is to use a third party app for email. Any suggestions?

Would you mind telling me how you went about syncing your exchange account with your email? I just got an exchange account at work but I can't figure out how to connect my Droid X2 to it. All of the 'official guides' I've found for doing it seem to be outdated and wrong. I tried using "Corporate Sync" but it fails to login. When I try creating a new email account, there is no option for Exchange email.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ante posted:

Are you drunk right now?

No, but it's best to plan ahead. Like having the fast food vouchers in my wallet makes me feel better, knowing I won't burn my data plan after too many bevvies helps me sleep at night...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Zen Punk posted:

Would you mind telling me how you went about syncing your exchange account with your email? I just got an exchange account at work but I can't figure out how to connect my Droid X2 to it. All of the 'official guides' I've found for doing it seem to be outdated and wrong. I tried using "Corporate Sync" but it fails to login. When I try creating a new email account, there is no option for Exchange email.

Choose 'Add Account' - 'Corporate'

If it can't connect then you'll have to talk with whoever administers your Exchange server.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I've been going through and scanning some of my old photos that I took when I was younger (some as recent as 11 years ago). They were done either with a cheap $35 fixed focus camera or a disposable camera. Even going back to the negatives for the scans, wow the quality is atrocious. Most of the photos from my old LG VX8700 with no flash would have turned out better.

Then again, the only way I ever SAW any of those photos before was only 3x5 cardstock and they were perfectly fine for that. They just don't quite hold up to being shown at 21 inches on my 1080p monitor.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm having problems with GoodNews's podcast playback over bluetooth. I have a receiver plugged into my car's aux port, and often when I stop GoodNews and remove my phone from the vehicle dock, playback will resume. It seems to happen more often if I just pause rather than stop, but it's happened with both methods. I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus with the M1 build of CM10.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
This isn't strictly a an app for the Android question, but it's closely related. Are there any programs for converting PDFs into EPUB files? I use an online one sometimes, but it only takes up to 25MB, and I have the occasional file which is bigger than that.

EDIT: Other formats to convert from such as HTML etc. would be nice but not necessary.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 8, 2012

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Project1 posted:

This isn't strictly a an app for the Android question, but it's closely related. Are there any programs for converting PDFs into EPUB files? I use an online one sometimes, but it only takes up to 25MB, and I have the occasional file which is bigger than that.

EDIT: Other formats to convert from such as HTML etc. would be nice but not necessary.

Calibre Ebook manager should be able to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an alternative to YouTube? I load up something but as soon as the screen locks or I lock it, I lose all my video progress. This is unacceptable.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Have you checked to make sure you YouTube app is updated? That was fixed in the latest update for me.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an alternative to YouTube? I load up something but as soon as the screen locks or I lock it, I lose all my video progress. This is unacceptable.

I'm using PVSTAR+. Not sure if it's the best, but I like it because it allows you to play youtube videos in the background.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I know that Androids can receive FM signals, but has anyone worked out an app to broadcast them, such as to play music in my car via FM without buying an external FM tuner for it? My wife's aux-in jack is broken and only drives one speaker currently, so it would be pretty sweet if my phone could just crank out jams to her car radio.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

You would need a phone that has an actual FM transmitter built in. I don't even know if any exist. Just pick up an FM transmitter that supports a normal RCA mini-jack.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

UnbornApple posted:

You would need a phone that has an actual FM transmitter built in. I don't even know if any exist. Just pick up an FM transmitter that supports a normal RCA mini-jack.

I think the HTC EVO has one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

UnbornApple posted:

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if any of the antennas already in the phone (voice, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc) were capable of transmitting FM or not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if any of the antennas already in the phone (voice, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc) were capable of transmitting FM or not.

Well.. the antennas are capable, but there's not hardware hooked up to them that would be capable of putting out enough power to actually broadcast a signal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have a good folder widget recommendation? I've been using SiMi for quite some time because it lets me make the folder widget icons large, but it doesn't do well being restored by Titanium Backup or if apps are uninstalled. I've tried folder organizer as well, but can't make the icons large.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Is there any way to stop the Phone app from building up a frequently called list in the contacts section?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

Does anyone have a good folder widget recommendation? I've been using SiMi for quite some time because it lets me make the folder widget icons large, but it doesn't do well being restored by Titanium Backup or if apps are uninstalled. I've tried folder organizer as well, but can't make the icons large.

I use ADW.launcher's feature that lets you make app drawer categories, then make shortcuts to my custom draws on my desktop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I use ADW.launcher's feature that lets you make app drawer categories, then make shortcuts to my custom draws on my desktop.

That might work, but it hasn't been updated since before ICS even came out. How's it work on Jelly Bean on a Galaxy Nexus?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Well.. the antennas are capable, but there's not hardware hooked up to them that would be capable of putting out enough power to actually broadcast a signal.

Well actually, the transmitting antennas in a modern cell phone are optimized for signals between 800MHz and 5GHz (add 13.56MHz if you have an NFC chip), while the entire FM spectrum hovers around 100MHz. So even if you did have the FM modulator built in, the antennas would work to some extent but they certainly wouldn't have a lot of range.

Software-defined radios, though...now there's a cool technology. Still have the antenna problems, but you can tune into or transmit any frequency you like within an extremely broad range. Cool.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

Well actually, the transmitting antennas in a modern cell phone are optimized for signals between 800MHz and 5GHz (add 13.56MHz if you have an NFC chip), while the entire FM spectrum hovers around 100MHz. So even if you did have the FM modulator built in, the antennas would work to some extent but they certainly wouldn't have a lot of range.

Software-defined radios, though...now there's a cool technology. Still have the antenna problems, but you can tune into or transmit any frequency you like within an extremely broad range. Cool.

We're specifically talking phones that already have an FM antenna - they by design have antennas tuned to to the proper frequency band.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Install Gentoo posted:

We're specifically talking phones that already have an FM antenna - they by design have antennas tuned to to the proper frequency band.

...but the FM antenna is almost certainly not connected to a transmitter so can't be used for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rolleyes posted:

...but the FM antenna is almost certainly not connected to a transmitter so can't be used for that purpose.

As I've already said they have no transmitter hardware hooked up.

• Locked thread