Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Devyl posted:

My point is Americans are still trying to push box-shaped vehicles through turns on race tracks. ZL1? Box. CTS-V? Box. Mustang GT? Not as boxy, but still big. I normally associate well-handling track-ready cars with being a bit more aerodynamic.

We need to drag limit all the torque :smug:

Seriously, though, even though American cars aren't the slipperiest cars out there, they've come leaps and bound in terms of capability. American sports cars are fairly well sorted on race tracks nowadays.

Also, if the rumors are true, the new SRT 'Cuda is going to be smaller than both the Camaro and Mustang once the Challenger gets the axe. 450hp, 3600lbs. is what I'm hearing. It's going to be on a RWD Alfa-shared platform rather than the same platform as the Charger/300.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
The only reason the Camaro is massive is because they had to shoehorn it onto the Zeta platform. The next gen Camaro is moving to the smaller Alpha. Ford has already said the Mustang is also losing weight, along with rumors of a smaller Barracuda replacing the Challenger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That matte Dart is pretty hot. Does anyone in AI own a Dart yet?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

grover posted:

Mustang and Camaro are huge cars because the american public doesn't want hot hatchbacks, they want 500hp family sedans. I mean, look how well the Dodge Charger has sold despite being a Dodge- simply by the fact that it has 4 doors. The consumers that buy these cars don't autocross then, and they certainly don't road race them. If anything, they drag race them, but virtually none will ever see a time slip of any sort. Mostly, they just don't ever drive them anywhere near the limit, but they'd rather be driving something with the image of a performance car than something that looks like every other sedan on the road.

So why aint Ford and GM importing every Falcon and Commodore they can lay hands onto? Why was the G8 such a sales flop, when desite it's highish price (it wasnt THAT high tho) it was the mythical 500 hp family hack?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cat Terrist posted:

So why aint Ford and GM importing every Falcon and Commodore they can lay hands onto? Why was the G8 such a sales flop, when desite it's highish price (it wasnt THAT high tho) it was the mythical 500 hp family hack?

Well I know I put it out of the running the minute I discovered it didn't have rear folding seats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Terrist posted:

The nameplate says alot man. If it isn't a traditional US nameplate then US buyers don't want it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In the case of the GTO and G8 I don't think I saw a single ad for it either.

The Camaro, Mustang, Charger and Challenger and even the 300 get a ton of product placement in movies, but there's not the same effort made for the "captive imports" when they arise. I expect the same thing to happen to the Chevy SS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In the case of the GTO and G8 I don't think I saw a single ad for it either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHokcVWTOAo

I was working the door at a bar when this came out and I saw it at least 30 times a night.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Alright, get your pitchforks out for Audi nixing the Quattro concept:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/Audis-new-Quattro-to-be-an-Evoque-style-crossover/

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cat Terrist posted:

Because it cost way too much. $28 is a lot to ask for a Pontiac with a base V6, and the V8 took forever to come out, too. The 400 hp version came out like right before they announced they were getting rid of Pontiac forever, and it cost $40k. And mileage was pretty terrible across the board.

Oh, and it came out in 2008, right around the time the entire industry and also the US economy exploded.

And after all that, it was also a Pontiac at a time when Pontiac was sales poison and literally a few years from death's door. If they could have knocked a few thousand off the MSRP, or else if they'd released it with a blackout trim as a new limited edition Impala SS/El Camino, it would have probably sold a lot better. Or if it had come out just a few years earlier or later.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 9, 2012

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

grover posted:

The consumers that buy these cars don't autocross then, and they certainly don't road race them.

Ahem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfJntYph_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Hu0zP-1_k

:colbert:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Because it cost way too much. $28 is a lot to ask for a Pontiac with a base V6, and the V8 took forever to come out, too. The 400 hp version came out like right before they announced they were getting rid of Pontiac forever, and it cost $40k. And mileage was pretty terrible across the board.

Oh, and it came out in 2008, right around the time the entire industry and also the US economy exploded.

And after all that, it was also a Pontiac at a time when Pontiac was sales poison and literally a few years from death's door. If they could have knocked a few thousand off the MSRP, or else if they'd released it with a blackout trim as a new limited edition Impala SS/El Camino, it would have probably sold a lot better. Or if it had come out just a few years earlier or later.

even with all that, IIRC it outsold the Genesis sedan that launched around the same time. More dealerships, but still, I don't know that I'd call it a flop.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Paint that beast black, number it "666" and put "DEATHWAGON" on it along with some angry teeth and someones head. owns

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Rhyno posted:

That matte Dart is pretty hot. Does anyone in AI own a Dart yet?

My Dad keeps searching for one. I wish he'd buy one already.

EDIT: Oh you meant new one. Hell naw. I forgot I was in the new car thread. Oops.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 9, 2012

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Devyl posted:

My point is Americans are still trying to push box-shaped vehicles through turns on race tracks. ZL1? Box. CTS-V? Box. Mustang GT? Not as boxy, but still big. I normally associate well-handling track-ready cars with being a bit more aerodynamic.

Somewhat related, and at the very least interesting:

quote:

The 1969 Dodge Daytona had a drag coefficient (cd) of just 0.28, better than most cars made in the 1990s. It would have produced even less drag, if it weren't for the tall spoiler (added to keep the rear wheels on the ground at high speeds), but still achieved 200 mph (set by Buddy Baker on March 24, 1970, at 200.447 mph around Talladega).

The first-generation Viper, with its aerodynamic shape, had a cd of over .5; the 1994 Plymouth Duster had a cd of .42. ; the mid-1990s Eagle Talon had a cd of .36. Even the sleek Eagle Vision had a drag of .31, considerably higher than the 0.28 of the 1969 Charger Daytona. That car set a speed record that held for 13 years, to be broken by about 1 mph in 1983.

source: https://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

I mean, the Daytona/Super bird was pretty much just a box with a nose on it. Is that what you want? :)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MrSaturn posted:

Somewhat related, and at the very least interesting:

source: https://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

I mean, the Daytona/Super bird was pretty much just a box with a nose on it. Is that what you want? :)

Those pesky federal bumper requirements killed all hope of ever having another Daytona...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Keyser S0ze posted:

Paint that beast black, number it "666" and put "DEATHWAGON" on it along with some angry teeth and someones head. owns

So a frat destroyed a Continental to make that thing :ughh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

The best frat, Alpha Delta Phi.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Das Volk posted:

IOwnCalculus put this guy on secret double probation.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

AdmiralViscen posted:

even with all that, IIRC it outsold the Genesis sedan that launched around the same time. More dealerships, but still, I don't know that I'd call it a flop.

The early Genesis may have still been shaking off the "bad Hyundai" vibes of previous years.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

You really are a bad person, you know that?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Das Volk posted:

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My 1-series has two cupholders. They are both way too small, and the second one is blocked off by the armrest so you can't actually fit anything in them.

I heard a good story about one of Ze Germans - their American product planning team had been clamoring for cupholders for years. Finally, the Germans caved and put a cupholder in. They were very proud and excited and sent over lots of pictures of the one (1) cupholder with a can of soda in it. Product planning asks them "what about bottles and Big Gulps and things like that?" which is received with completely blank stares. So the product planning team just started fedexing containers that they found back to Germany with the note "This has to fit in your cupholder."

It evidently didn't work that well, Germans still can't do cupholders.

That was us! We did our best, I swear.

Edit: Specifically, I think it was my mom.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 9, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

discstickers posted:

I cancelled mine and bought a 3-er instead.

Ford keeps sending me stuff though:

What's the best way to order a ST, anyhow? And how long does it take to build? I'm going to have to say goodbye to the old Camry someday soonish.

Devyl posted:

We got a long history of this kind of thing, you know?
(1950 Cadillac Le Monstre)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 9, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Huge_Midget posted:

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

New cars I like. Uh.. That BRZ is kind of neat looking. :effort:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

War Bunny posted:

The early Genesis may have still been shaking off the "bad Hyundai" vibes of previous years.

In comparison to the baggage-free Pontiac nameplate?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

AdmiralViscen posted:

In comparison to the baggage-free Pontiac nameplate?

I'd take an 86 Grand Prix over an 86 Excel any day of the week.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

ZippySLC posted:

I'd take an 86 Grand Prix over an 86 Excel any day of the week.

Hyundai shold have kept the Stellar and Pony in production. While none of the cars are good, at least the Pony/Stellar were somewhat reliable and RWD :rms:

assfucker420 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 9, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hyundai really needs a new logo. Hell, even their old 80s logo looks better than the one they have now.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

What's the best way to order a ST, anyhow? And how long does it take to build? I'm going to have to say goodbye to the old Camry someday soonish.

I emailed a bunch of dealers asking for quotes. My deal was 1050 under MSRP for an ST3 with Tangerine Scream paint and no moon roof. Check out X-plan pricing, it may be a little less, although not all dealers are honoring it apparently.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
My problem is that I can't find one without a moonroof, so I'm going to have to go order one specially built.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
We were discussing the Electric Smart ForTwo earlier in this thread and it's worth noting that the 2013 model is apparently significantly improved:

autoblog posted:

Compared to the last version we used to slalom around New York City's finest potholes (which was rated at 27 horsepower constant output and 40 hp maximum output), this new plug-in electricity-fueled ForTwo has a constant cruising output of 47 hp and a peaky max output of 74 hp. It's tangibly twice the car. Acceleration to 37 mph (i.e. 60 kmh) was 6.5 seconds, but is now 4.8 seconds. The shocker stat, though, is acceleration to 62 mph (100 kmh): it was 26.7 seconds for the prior car. Stop laughing; Now the time is down to an actually useful and comparatively spirited 11.5 seconds. V-max arrives at a tick over 78 mph.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/10/2013-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-first-drive-review/

This is actually the car I was originally referring to... it's $25k *before* tax incentives.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Neat and I'm all for cheap electric cars, but...78MPH top speed? Even when I'm driving alone and not using the HOV lane, at least half of my commute is ±5MPH of that. Sounds like it's only useful for someone whose commute is entirely highway-free.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd rather have a Murray T27.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
All the highways around here are 60-65MPH until you get out in the boonies and it's not like you're taking an electric car on a cross country road trip. In theory something like an electric fourtwo would be perfect for 95% of the driving I do, too bad they're out of my price range...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cream_Filling posted:

Hyundai really needs a new logo. Hell, even their old 80s logo looks better than the one they have now.

I've seen an eagle looking emblem on a few genesises and velosters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

rscott posted:

All the highways around here are 60-65MPH until you get out in the boonies and it's not like you're taking an electric car on a cross country road trip. In theory something like an electric fourtwo would be perfect for 95% of the driving I do, too bad they're out of my price range...

My commute is completely highway with a top speed limit of 55mph.

That doesn't change the fact that if you are driving something that's not capable of doing 80mph, you are going to get passed left and right.

Paper and reality don't always meet.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who cares if you're getting passed left and right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

Who cares if you're getting passed left and right?

If you're getting passed left and right, you should probably move over to the far right lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Neat and I'm all for cheap electric cars, but...78MPH top speed? Even when I'm driving alone and not using the HOV lane, at least half of my commute is ±5MPH of that. Sounds like it's only useful for someone whose commute is entirely highway-free.

Is it as hard on electric cars for them to be doing 100% of their maximum speed as it is for conventional cars? I don't see this as a huge problem as long as it can sustain 75mph with no difficulties like an overheating battery occurring.

It is pretty funny to be selling a car with a lower top speed than some roads in Texas have speed limits set at. I'd like to drive our new 85mph road just to see what speed traffic actually moves at there.