Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hello SV thread! I've been riding mine for about a year now. A few weeks ago, it wouldn't start so I bought a new battery and put it in this weekend. It started just fine and I let it warm up for a bit and tried to take off. The second I shifted out of neutral into first it died. Now it flashes F1 on the console when I turn the engine on and if I try to start it it won't turn over. I know next to nothing about fixing motorcycles (and don't even know how I'd get it to a mechanic.) Any good resources out there?

Also feel free to ask any questions I might not have addressed because I am completely new at this.

EDIT: I just learned how to access dealer mode and checked the error code. I got c00, or no defective part. No I really have no idea where to go from here.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Was your kickstand down?
When you go to start it, does it sound like it's trying to turn over, or does nothing happen?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

AncientTV posted:

Was your kickstand down?
When you go to start it, does it sound like it's trying to turn over, or does nothing happen?

My kickstand was down when I read the error code but not when I tried to ride and shift into first. It does sound like the engine is trying to turn over. If I stop trying for a few hours and come back, it will start right away but always dies when I try to ride.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Does it always die right when you shift it into first?
edit: Probably should've asked this first, did you charge the battery before you tossed it in the bike?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

don't even know how I'd get it to a mechanic.) Any good resources out there?

Put out an ad on Craigslist saying you need a bike towed. There are plenty of people with ramps/trailers/tie downs that would love to make a quick 40 bucks towing your poo poo.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Uhaul's trailer is 15 bux/day if you own a truck or have access to one. You'll need your own tie downs though.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

AncientTV posted:

Does it always die right when you shift it into first?
edit: Probably should've asked this first, did you charge the battery before you tossed it in the bike?

The guy at the shop charged it for me. It does always die right when I shift into first.

Thanks for the towing suggestions. If I can't figure it out in the next couple of days I'll look into those ideas.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Sounds kind of like a defective kickstand switch, it's hard to tell without more details though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

Sounds kind of like a defective kickstand switch, it's hard to tell without more details though.

This. Defective clutch or kickstand switch. Look for busted wires, and try jumping the connectors.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

This. Defective clutch or kickstand switch. Look for busted wires, and try jumping the connectors.

OR MAYBE YOUR FRIENDS WIFE BROKE IT!

(No, z3n's wife just happened to get on my 675 when the kickstand switch wiring decided to snap)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Update: It's definitely not the kickstand switch. Today I was able to start it just fine, shift into first, and ride about 10 feet before it abruptly died and started displaying F1 again. I tried to start it and the engine was trying to turn over. I gave it a few minutes and was able to start it again no problem, but the exact same thing happened. Any new ideas?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If it's abruptly dying without any winding-down type behavior and then intermittently not starting, it's definitely an electrical cut-off acting up. It may still be the kickstand or clutch switch shorting out.

If you're comfortable doing it, pull the relevant connectors and check for corrosion or busted wires like z3n said.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

AncientTV posted:

If it's abruptly dying without any winding-down type behavior and then intermittently not starting, it's definitely an electrical cut-off acting up. It may still be the kickstand or clutch switch shorting out.

If you're comfortable doing it, pull the relevant connectors and check for corrosion or busted wires like z3n said.

Sounds good. I'm not comfortable doing it but I've got a riding buddy coming over Friday who knows his way around. Thanks for all the help so far, I'll report back soon!

Here's my ride in its natural habitat (ie. not sadly resting in the garage)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Hey presto, now I have an SV650 with problems

I wish it were just a bum switch :v:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

Update: It's definitely not the kickstand switch. Today I was able to start it just fine, shift into first, and ride about 10 feet before it abruptly died and started displaying F1 again. I tried to start it and the engine was trying to turn over. I gave it a few minutes and was able to start it again no problem, but the exact same thing happened. Any new ideas?

This might not help much, but it's not displaying F1, it's displaying FI meaning it thinks there's a problem with the fuel injection.

I've had it flash up once before after I actually laid it on it's side paddling through a U-turn and it wouldn't start for a couple of minutes afterwards :blush:

If it was an issue with the kickstand sensor it'd be displaying CHEK / CHEC (can't remember the spelling off the top of my head). It does the same for the cut off switch too - which is another embarrassing story of me panicking in a car park for quarter of an hour after a bastard of a friend had surreptitiously hit it while we were chatting.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Interestingly enough, it only shows F1 after it dies and I try to start it unsuccessfully. It does show CHEC when I first turn the ignition on and turn on the kill switch though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

This might not help much, but it's not displaying F1, it's displaying FI meaning it thinks there's a problem with the fuel injection.

I've had it flash up once before after I actually laid it on it's side paddling through a U-turn and it wouldn't start for a couple of minutes afterwards :blush:

If it was an issue with the kickstand sensor it'd be displaying CHEK / CHEC (can't remember the spelling off the top of my head). It does the same for the cut off switch too - which is another embarrassing story of me panicking in a car park for quarter of an hour after a bastard of a friend had surreptitiously hit it while we were chatting.

A "problem with the fuel injector" can also be caused by the bike randomly dying when the shutout engages and disengages and kills the ECU for a second. That can happen when the wires are frayed and intermittently grounding.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

A "problem with the fuel injector" can also be caused by the bike randomly dying when the shutout engages and disengages and kills the ECU for a second. That can happen when the wires are frayed and intermittently grounding.

I wasn't arguing against any advice you guys have given - you all know a hell of a lot more about bikes than me. Just hoping that by pointing out the FI thing it might give him some idea on where to start.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I wasn't arguing against any advice you guys have given - you all know a hell of a lot more about bikes than me. Just hoping that by pointing out the FI thing it might give him some idea on where to start.

Right - the problem is that electrical symptoms get really strange when you start dealing with intermittent cutouts, so the FI light isn't as meaningful as it is when it shows up consistently. It's pretty common for an FI light to come on when you stall the bike as well.

The not starting thing was probably the tipover switch...which is, incidentally, another thing that might be worth checking if the clutch/kickstand switches don't fix it.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
What color is the loving tach wire that goes to the gauge cluster? Does anyone have a not-lovely wiring diagram for a k4 S model?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
For colors, does this help?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/sv/sunpro-tach.php

About half way down lists:

Brown (running light) or Red/White (continuous live)
Black/White Stripe (ground)
Black/Yellow Stripe (tachometer lead)
Brown (running light) or Yellow or White (high/low beam)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AncientTV posted:

Honestly that's not bad, my $200 SV came in boxes and milk crates. If you need any misc parts let me know...turns out I had some extra parts and hardware in those boxes.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

AncientTV posted:

If you want stock speedo/tach cluster I'll sell you mine.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

invision posted:

If you want stock speedo/tach cluster I'll sell you mine.

I'll take it..
edit: wait, are the 2nd gen gauges compatible with 1st gens?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Honestly that's not bad, my $200 SV came in boxes and milk crates. If you need any misc parts let me know...turns out I had some extra parts and hardware in those boxes.

..and could you PM me with what you have?

double edit: Has anyone had experience with the $30 eBay special shorty levers? I don't really need a pair, but the adjustability would be nice.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 11, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

I'll take it..

I think you can make them compatible, but they're not very compatible off the bat.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AncientTV posted:

..and could you PM me with what you have?
Sure, I may resort to dumping it on the garage floor and taking a picture.

AncientTV posted:

double edit: Has anyone had experience with the $30 eBay special shorty levers? I don't really need a pair, but the adjustability would be nice.
Wondering this as well, the long stock clutch lever looks really strange with a nice shorty GSXR brake lever.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

AncientTV posted:

My gf's SV has gold shorties, and she loves them. I liked the brake lever, but I thought the clutch lever was too short (strange because our hands are about the same size). I think a long clutch lever and short brake lever would complement each other very well.

Also, I just received a new pair of these, both in normal length, for my SV, after I dropped the bike on its left side. So far I've got only the clutch lever on there and it's not bad. A bit thick. I'd prefer levers that are a bit thinner and more tubular in design, but that's just me. Rather squarish in feel. Next time I'll go for long GSXR OEM levers.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Ebay levers are fine. They're 9/10 as good as Pazzo's, etc. imo. One thing to watch for is that they usually never fit that great and so have a lot of play in them. You can try making a new spacer to put in the pivot bolt hole that will take up some slack hopefully.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I haven't used ebay levers because I scored a set of ASV levers from a junkyard for like 20 bucks, but I'll never own another bike without aftermarket levers on it. They make a huge difference.

Also I have a k4 SVs gauge cluster for sale with something like 28k miles on it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm trying to find a SV650 in the Los Angeles / Orange County area for < $3k, and the best I've seen recently is a 2005 SV650s with 38k miles that was used for commuting for $2600. I don't know much about bikes, but I'd prefer a newer, higher mileage bike that was in constant use over an older, lower mileage bike that sat a lot. Does this make sense for a bike? And is that a decent enough price? I'm guessing I could get it for a couple hundred less, but either way it seems to be the best deal around. It also looks to be fairly stock (as far as I can tell), except for a tinted windscreen.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's a decent deal, although, like you said, you could shoot for $2400ish. My guess is that he would take it if you had the cash in hand.

And that does make sense if it's been relatively well kept, especially since it isn't too rare for these engines to last upwards of 100k miles.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Z3n posted:

The not starting thing was probably the tipover switch...which is, incidentally, another thing that might be worth checking if the clutch/kickstand switches don't fix it.

Thank you! The tipover switch was the culprit. I dislodged it when I put the new battery in, not even realizing it. A small piece of duct tape later, I'm back in business!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me diagnose the problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Thank you! The tipover switch was the culprit. I dislodged it when I put the new battery in, not even realizing it. A small piece of duct tape later, I'm back in business!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me diagnose the problem.

:neckbeard:

Team effort wins again!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Selling off things I'm taking off of the bike.

I'll get pics in a few.

All of this is for a 2nd gen sv650s

k6 solo cowl

k4 rear seat

k4 rear seat/cowl locking mechanism

k4 gauge cluster + bent mounting bracket

k4 upper fairing + headlights + windscreen. It was highsided so it's kinda screwed up, but with a not-bent mounting bracket I honestly don't think it would look that bad. Headlights work as they should. Comes with flushmount LED turn signals already installed.

k4 mirrors

Pretty sure I still have extra OEM levers also. Make offers on stuff.

=====================================================================================

98 cbr 600 parts

Smoked windscreen in excellent condition
rear tire hugger/chain guard

Posted in the for sale thread also.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AncientTV posted:

I'll take it..

Sorry I'm an idiot and forgot to do this. In WI for two weeks. I'll dig through the parts when I get back.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sorry I'm an idiot and forgot to do this. In WI for two weeks. I'll dig through the parts when I get back.

It's all good, I'm having to wait for my next paycheck anyways.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Is there any good reason for anyone to buy a stock 2nd gen muffler? I have the one that was sawn off by the PO and I wonder if I should bother trying to sell it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I invited an out-of-state friend over to have him ride my ZX6R with dirt bike bars & comfort mods, and my gf's sv650. He has had a year's experience on a Ninja 250. He rode the ZX6r mainly, for 25 minutes which included a jaunt on the highway. I had him switch with me for a few minutes (gf had forbidden him from riding her machine but manhood reigned). Upon finishing the ride, I asked him what his preferred ride was. Of course... the sv650.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Sometimes I wish I were short so I could ride one again. I can't even kick my heels up onto the pegs. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Crossposting from the sale thread:
FS: SV650s k4 blue lower fairings in close-to-perfect condition. A few rock chips are the only thing wrong with them. $500 obo. I'll include the mounting hardware for a little extra since it's kind of a pain to pull the hardware off of the bike.

• Locked thread