Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RichterIX posted:

Thank Christ. I hope this one is actually worthwhile.

Aw, what's wrong with the existing one? I got it on Blu-Ray as a present a while ago and haven't gotten around to watching it (cuz I watched it on DVD literally a couple days before my wife gave me my present - whoops!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Cemetry Gator posted:

Ew. This just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. First off, I'm not the biggest fan of 3-D to begin with, but even more so, conversions just look horrible.

It's a 75-year-old film. Why do they even need to do a 3-D conversion? It wasn't shot for 3-D, so it's not like it's going to do any good.

Someone look at the fine print, George Lucas has to be behind this effort...

I'm not sure why anybody in Hollywood ever thinks it is a good idea to muck with aspect ratio, colorization, 2D/3D, or content. The *vast* majority of the time, the revised effort may not look cheap but sure plays it. I can't say I am what one would call a hardcore videofile, but many of the changes made to movies over the years ruin some of the inherent charm a film has.

I'm not sure if such a thread exists, or needs to exist, but it sure would be nice to see what SA thinks is the worst modification/restoration/etc. For me, the THX1138 redo was horrific.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Lobok posted:

Aw, what's wrong with the existing one? I got it on Blu-Ray as a present a while ago and haven't gotten around to watching it (cuz I watched it on DVD literally a couple days before my wife gave me my present - whoops!).

It looks sort of like it could be good but there is some kind of glitch with it that makes things really aliased and jagged. Still, if you don't have a massive TV, it might not be noticeable. It'll be interesting to see how this new release is, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So uh, Prometheus

:stare:
:drat:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 9, 2012

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would be surprised if the quality was worse than that considering how awesome it looked on the big screen. Still those screens look amazing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I wish I didn't despise that film, because it looks gorgeous :smith:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mediocre film, orgasmic visuals.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Almost all of Ridley Scott's career posted:

Mediocre film, orgasmic visuals.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

I wish I didn't despise that film, because it looks gorgeous :smith:

Ditto. I own Alien 3, and I still doubt I'll pick up Prometheus any time soon, I wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me that 6 months ago.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Well no, you see actually Prometheus is this brilliant piece of work and all but a select few of us are just too stupid to understand its brilliance.

Being serious though I'm very torn. I'll probably pick it up just because I want to see the extras and hear the commentary. Frankly I wish the film just flat out sucked hard and was the worst ever because then I would have a much easier time not caring about it.

Screens are beautiful though. Ugh.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
There's a Prometheus thread if you want to talk about the movie.

Whether you like the movie or not, the PQ is amazing (and apparently the AQ as well) and the extras are diverse and plentiful, and it looks like a fantastic release.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GonSmithe posted:

Whether you like the movie or not, the PQ is amazing (and apparently the AQ as well) and the extras are diverse and plentiful, and it looks like a fantastic release.

Very true, which is why I'm so bummed. I remember thinking in the cinema that this would be the perfect (contemporary) blu ray demonstration film.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's a 3.5 hour making of Prometheus if you don't like the movie but you're into that kind of poo poo. It's with the 4 disc 3D version.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So, Prometheus bluray here no retail seems to be only avaiable with the 5 disc version. I wouldn't mind getting it if it didn't meant buying the alien quadroligy for the third time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Honest Thief posted:

So, Prometheus bluray here no retail seems to be only avaiable with the 5 disc version. I wouldn't mind getting it if it didn't meant buying the alien quadroligy for the third time.

Where's 'here'? Because there's a 2D release, a 3D release and the Prometheus/Alien pack.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The one you want, if you have access to it obviously, is the 4-Disc one (3D Blu, 2D Blu, DVD, Bonus Disc Blu

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Where's 'here'? Because there's a 2D release, a 3D release and the Prometheus/Alien pack.

oh, forgot to mention it lol, Portugal

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Honest Thief posted:

oh, forgot to mention it lol, Portugal

Well, you could always get it internationally through Amazon.co.uk, for instance. And yeah, I agree with sportsgenius. The 4-disc (3-disc in Europe) is the one to go with if you care about 7 hours of extra footage.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm guessing the Prometheus blu-ray doesn't have the rumored extended cut?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

fenix down posted:

I'm guessing the Prometheus blu-ray doesn't have the rumored extended cut?

No, the deleted scenes are on the disc separately. Fox wanted an Extended Cut. Scott didn't.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Amazon reviews are fierce, lots of hate for Prometheus. Honestly, I'm really surprised.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
We can all agree that it's an objectively incredible bluray release, though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
According to amazon reviewers nah, cause there will be Prometheus sequels.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What an inane reason.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

GonSmithe posted:

I've never seen the movie but given that many are saying that the movie seems to be reference quality (or close to it), it might be worth the 20 bux to have it on hand. Of course, I already own The Fall, so maybe that isn't really necessary.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CrushedWill posted:

I've never seen the movie but given that many are saying that the movie seems to be reference quality (or close to it), it might be worth the 20 bux to have it on hand. Of course, I already own The Fall, so maybe that isn't really necessary.

I think that would actually be a good companion piece if we're just talking 'showing off imagery'-needs.

The Fall is very Earth-y. Prometheus very Sci-fi. It fills a different niche visually.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting from Coupons.

Very Strange Things posted:

I guess I won't bother making a new thread for this:
3 Blu-ray discs: Clerks, Chasing Amy, and J+SBSB for $4.99
You have to pick it up at Best Buy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
From the blu-ray deals thread, Blue Velvet is $9 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Velvet-Blu-ray-Dennis-Hopper/dp/B005HT400A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349922225&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+velvet

I remember when this came out last year the reviews looked great. Lots and lots of beautiful film grain.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

From the blu-ray deals thread, Blue Velvet is $9 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Velvet-Blu-ray-Dennis-Hopper/dp/B005HT400A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349922225&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+velvet

I remember when this came out last year the reviews looked great. Lots and lots of beautiful film grain.
Cool, I happen to have this coming in tomorrow from netflix. I'll report back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of deals, Sin City is only $7 at Amazon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I picked up the new Magical Mystery Tour blu-ray today. It looks really good and I'm pretty impressed with it considering that the source material is probably not that great. I know it was made for tv but I'm not sure if it was shot on film or not (the BD release does in fact preserve its original 1:33 aspect ratio). Either way they breathed new life into it. I will admit that last time I saw that movie it was on VHS. But I still think it's a worthwhile release if you're into the Beatles or weird British poo poo.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

I picked up the new Magical Mystery Tour blu-ray today. It looks really good and I'm pretty impressed with it considering that the source material is probably not that great. I know it was made for tv but I'm not sure if it was shot on film or not (the BD release does in fact preserve its original 1:33 aspect ratio). Either way they breathed new life into it. I will admit that last time I saw that movie it was on VHS. But I still think it's a worthwhile release if you're into the Beatles or weird British poo poo.

It was shot on film, but the original camera negative was destroyed so they made the transfer off a print. If you ask me, I think it looks terrible.

Now The Little Shop of Horrors, THAT is a great transfer.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Amazon UK has some decent Blu-Ray deals going again right now, if anyone is interested.

Bourne Trilogy, 10.99 GBP

Jurassic Park Trilogy, 10 GBP

Back To The Future Trilogy, 10 GBP

These all work out to be about $20 each in USD with standard shipping, and they're all region free. Pretty decent deals if you don't have any of these. The Back To The Future trilogy isn't the best transfer but the other two are great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

VoodooXT posted:

It was shot on film, but the original camera negative was destroyed so they made the transfer off a print. If you ask me, I think it looks terrible.

Now The Little Shop of Horrors, THAT is a great transfer.

Honestly I wasn't expecting much from it and when I said it looks good in a "best we could have hoped for" sort of way. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's outright terrible. But nevermind all that, why are they still jerking everyone off about releasing Let It Be again?

edit: I should point out that the audio sounds really great on the song sequences, but that's no suprise considering the massive effort in remastering all the Beatles material from the original tapes that's happened in the last few years. If anyone hasn't heard them the 2009 reissue CDs are absolutely astounding.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 11, 2012

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Humongous Pear posted:

Amazon UK has some decent Blu-Ray deals going again right now, if anyone is interested.

Finally grabbed BTTF. Thanks for the heads up!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Actually, Magical Mystery Tour was shot on 16mm reversal, from what I read. It's extant, but the finished edit was on 35mm, from which the blowup was lost. The restoration is from the original 16mm with probably a few bits of 35mm dupe. The clips in The Beatles Antholgy look great.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Got my Universal Monsters set from Amazon UK today - the coffin case is smaller than I expected but it looks pretty great. I've got Dracula on now, and the quality is fantastic. They really did an incredible job with the restoration.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Prometheus' 3D BD cover is so mesmerising. The non-3D version is also nowhere to be found in Malaysia, by the way (at least at the malls I looked at).

I can confirm that the picture quality is gorgeous. It's probably my best looking BD along with Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I also found Taken on BD at last, but while it has special features on it it doesn't seem to be the Extended Cut or whatever (the only version listed on Blu-ray.com).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If anybody preordered Max Fleischer's Superman back when I posted about it...cancel that poo poo ASAP

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Max-Fleischers-Superman-Blu-ray/50279/#Review

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

If anybody preordered Max Fleischer's Superman back when I posted about it...cancel that poo poo ASAP

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Max-Fleischers-Superman-Blu-ray/50279/#Review

:(

I think the only edge it has over Gulliver's Travels is the original 4x3 format, but then they add a watermark. God forbid someone takes their upscaled analog origin masters when Warner has their own 1080p masters from the negatives.

• Locked thread