Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
SSR Type-F?

edit: nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
OZ ultraleggara

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Are Subaru people the cheapest bastards in the world, or is $325 too much to ask for a nearly brand new Invidia SS catted downpipe for 08+ WRX/STI?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BoostCreep posted:

Are Subaru people the cheapest bastards in the world, or is $325 too much to ask for a nearly brand new Invidia SS catted downpipe for 08+ WRX/STI?

No they're cheap. Imagine dealing with subaru people in MAINE, people are so loving poor here jesus christ

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

throw poo poo on eBay. Used parts and used cars always go for inflated prices on there.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

jamal posted:

OZ ultraleggara

Which are on sale from tirerack :)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh right I still need to get a vendor account there.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
2011 wrx stock wheels and using the original OEM tires. I have 25k miles and had to replace my front left tire. Tread depth is now LF:10/32 RF: 8/32. LR:7.5/32 RR: 8/32. Now the car feels uncomfortably squirrelly at high speeds and continues to noticeably pull to the right at speeds above 55. On top of this, left turns feel like I'm fighting the car much more than before. Feels like I'm plowing .

What I'm wondering is A: where should my tires be with these depths. And B: should I shave my new tire, and if not should I just get a new alignment?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered, all is appreciated!

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
You need both new tires and an alignment. My '11 OEM tires have a bit less than 20k and are close to shot.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blargle posted:

You need both new tires and an alignment. My '11 OEM tires have a bit less than 20k and are close to shot.

This. The OEM dunlop's aren't exactly the greatest tire in the world.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
I'm pretty sleepy so I guess I missed this: are you saying I should replace all of my tires? Why not just shave down the new tire to prevent me from having to shell out another $1000?

Danger Doug fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 8, 2012

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I need a cheap ebay intake to replace the broken cheap intake my 99 RS came with. It's a MAF sensor, I assume that matters?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Can't you find a stock unit? Intakes are a known loser on N/A cars.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

Can't you find a stock unit? Intakes are a known loser on N/A cars.

Would the 98 intake work? I imagine I have to switch the MAF part with the MAP part?

Edit: Just did it. Seems to work. The two airbox supports don't line up but they are not really needed. Thanks.

daslog fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 8, 2012

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Danger Doug posted:

I'm pretty sleepy so I guess I missed this: are you saying I should replace all of my tires? Why not just shave down the new tire to prevent me from having to shell out another $1000?

Well:

a) your alignment is really far off if your tires are wearing that badly and unevenly (that or you're not rotating your tires)

b) unless you have a special stiffy for those OEM dunlops, you'd be a fool to re-purchase them. These Sumitomo HTR ZIII's are better tires and less than half the price: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&wtpackage=true

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Amandyke posted:

Well:

a) your alignment is really far off if your tires are wearing that badly and unevenly (that or you're not rotating your tires)

b) unless you have a special stiffy for those OEM dunlops, you'd be a fool to re-purchase them. These Sumitomo HTR ZIII's are better tires and less than half the price: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&wtpackage=true

Two eights and a 7.5 isn't that terribly uneven, with a brand new 10

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Faerunner posted:

Two eights and a 7.5 isn't that terribly uneven, with a brand new 10

With his other front tire still at 10, I'd say it's pretty uneven (although the rears look good). I'd get the alignment checked before I bought new tires. And wouldn't buy a single new tire if the wear was that light.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

Amandyke posted:

With his other front tire still at 10, I'd say it's pretty uneven (although the rears look good). I'd get the alignment checked before I bought new tires. And wouldn't buy a single new tire if the wear was that light.

The 10/32 is a week old tire; I had to replace the original because it was irreparable. They all get rotated every 7500 miles or so, and the alignment felt fine before I had to replace the LF tire.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My car is on eBay if anyone's interested. I don't have the facilities or time to part it out nor rebuild it as I'm trying to buy a house at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...e#ht_734wt_1165

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Man I would totally buy that if I had some money. I need to start selling some of the crap in my room...

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
What's a typical gas mileage for an '06 Outback XT driven somewhat aggressively? I know it isn't great, but I feel like mine is lower than expected.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hillridge posted:

What's a typical gas mileage for an '06 Outback XT driven somewhat aggressively? I know it isn't great, but I feel like mine is lower than expected.

Maybe this will help? http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd say 18-21mpg if you're beating on it a fair bit with not much highway travel.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd say that is pretty optimistic.
I get 18-20mpg in fairly standard urban highway driving on an 05 LGT, which is supposed to get very slightly better mileage. Close to 18 when the AC is needed.
---

Why can't Subaru make a goddamn wheel bearing right?

My car was in the shop for the front driver's on Saturday (the second time that one has been done -- sounded like the wheel was about to fall the gently caress off), and they noted the passenger rear was a slightly iffy. So the noise only got a bit quieter, and didn't go away. Didn't have time to get it fixed that time as it was almost the end of the day when it was found.

Of course, the extended warranty subaru put on the rear ones is useless. I've replaced 4 front wheel bearings (first two a bit after 60k, next ones recently) and only 1 rear one (due to the ABS sensor ring dying, so it wasn't even covered). And now I'm at 120k mi.
How hard is it to make a wheel bearing that can last more than 60k mi? And why aren't there any aftermarket ones that last forever?

nm fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 9, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

At least yours are easy to change. For the front you can upgrade to sti bearings. MSI even makes ceramic ones that are really expensive (but only for the sti).

The conversion to sti parts while keeping your front struts and 5x100 bolt pattern is 1600 from LIC motorsports.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

The conversion to sti parts while keeping your front struts and 5x100 bolt pattern is 1600 from LIC motorsports.
$1600 buys a lot of wheel bearings.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

At least yours are easy to change. For the front you can upgrade to sti bearings. MSI even makes ceramic ones that are really expensive (but only for the sti).

Are these the same/similar to the old 6Gun hub conversions?

*Edit, Yea, they are. Nice! http://www.licmotorsports.com/products/lic-motorsports-front-5x1143-knuckles-5x100-02-07-wrx-04-sti_lic-03079012

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 9, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
From SubaruGenuine regarding the Extra-S:

quote:

Hello

Very sorry but we are no longer offering this item for shipment.

Item is available for local pick up only.

UPS has managed to damage this item each and every time we have recently shipped it

As such – we have decided we will no longer be able to ship this part.

Please note: you have not been billed – and this order has been closed.

We apologize, but there appears to be no safe method to ship this part.

Thank you for your interest,
Jamie Cavett
Internet Parts Manager
SubaruGenuineParts.com
sales@subarugenuineparts.com

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sockington posted:

How do you damage gear oil?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
UPS can do it. I ordered a PS2 to USB y-cable once, it arrived in a 6" box full of packing peanuts and an enormous hole in the side. Somehow they had punctured the box in such a way that it perfectly severed the 1.5" long cable.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just passed emissions! Somehow even though its hard to put gas in my car I didn't get an evap code after the readiness passed. I looked around last night it looks like I have to drop the tank and change a valve on top of it and that would have sucked if I had to do that before it passed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

How do you damage gear oil?

Break the can open. 5 gallons would make a little bit of a mess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sockington posted:

Fred beans seems to have been doing it for years. Mine came perfect when I ordered. Dunno who shipped it.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

I just purchased a 2008 Impreza WRX with 89,000 miles. I'm very regimented with my vehicle maintenance and have already viewed the owner's manual as well as the OP regarding scheduled maintenance. The dealer is going to change the coolant as well as the transmission and differential fluid as part of the purchase. This is my first Subaru and I'm interested in any advice regarding the vehicle and any trouble spots to watch for.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Frankenstein posted:

I just purchased a 2008 Impreza WRX with 89,000 miles. This is my first Subaru and I'm interested in any advice regarding the vehicle and any trouble spots to watch for.

The biggest problem some people will see is that you bought a 2008 and not a 2009. The second year of the body style got some updates that made it a much more competent vehicle.

Makes little difference to most though.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

oh hi there :3:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oooh neat.

Sockington posted:

The biggest problem some people will see is that you bought a 2008 and not a 2009. The second year of the body style got some updates that made it a much more competent vehicle.

Makes little difference to most though.

I don't think there's much else different from the turbo, which is bigger on the 09-up. You could just get the bigger turbo and re-flash it if you wanted that extra 40hp.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

Oooh neat.

I don't think there's much else different from the turbo, which is bigger on the 09-up. You could just get the bigger turbo and re-flash it if you wanted that extra 40hp.

I thought the 2008 had slightly softer suspension when they did the whole "old man performance car" thing for the first year.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Recently bought an 08 Legacy with AT, nearing 80K. It's got an annoying quirk where if you cause the engine to drop a couple gears then let off the accelerator the engine just races at 5K rpm or so for about two seconds before finding a higher gear and resuming. That happened recently and the very next time the car came to rest I noticed it now makes a mechanical whir/almost-whistle sound on acceleration and de-accel. (could be coincidence) It's not a steady sound, but a whir-whir-whir increasing slightly in pitch and definitely speed as the car accelerates up to 20 mph or so, after which you cannot hear it.

The car is about to get a lot of PM done, including diff and tranny fluids, but is this sound familiar to anyone? Is something about to die that I need to know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ah Subaru and technology.

Not directly related to cars, but their dealership website templates.

They allow you to schedule service online which is nice. I need a state inspection on my 2011 and the Subaru dealer where I bought it from has Saturday hours and they give you a discount on inspection if you bought the car there.

So, I go through the online form to schedule an appointment for the 20th. No errors, and I wait for a confirmation. By Tuesday, I try again. Again, no errors. Still nothing.

I call them today "Oh, it won't let you schedule Saturday appointments online." Clearly it does as it accepted the date and said I should be getting a confirmation back soon. It must just swallow those requests since not all dealers have Saturday hours.