Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

After sharing a bunch around with my team Friday night, I have 18 left. If you want one, post in the thread that you want one and I'll PM you for your address. If you don't have PMs, I dunno, put your email in spoiler tags or something. First eighteen to reply get one.

I'd like one to put on my locker at school. (yes vet school is basically like high school we have lockers and stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I love you guys like you don't even know.

We had a slow day at work Friday and I printed up a mess of these:

I would very much like one.

In other news, got my first goal of the season last night! :woop:

I play D so this is kind of a big deal.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So today I got taken off my beta blocker for a week to see if it's what's causing numbness in my feet. I'm probably gonna get switched to some other blood pressure med after that, since it was mainly prescribed to me because my blood pressure was like 160/90 and my resting heart rate was >100 bpm in the weeks after my last chemo session. Since then my resting rate has gone down to the 60s and my blood pressures are actually normal, so I probably don't need something to suppress my heart rate anymore, at least.

I wonder how much of a difference it'll make in my stamina on the ice. I tire out really quickly right now, but I dunno how much of that is low hemoglobin and my heart rate being artificially limited.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, playing on only one team blows. 1 game a week makes me feel lazy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I was a late roster addition to a team for an out-of-town tournament this weekend, :woop:!

Our first game is Friday night at 5:30, which I can't make (having to work sucks, but it pays for the hockey). Next game, Saturday at 9:30AM. It's a three hour drive from where I am to the tournament site, so I'm thinking about instead of leaving here after work Friday night, just getting up at the asscrack of dawn and driving down Saturday morning for the game. Our next game is at 3:30 that afternoon. I like to think of it as an endurance challenge.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I know how you feel. I normally wake up to 3-4 texts Monday morning about games I would be playing that night. Today, I only got 1. :smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

What really sucks is sometimes we'll have a Monday game and then our next game will be like, Saturday the following week, so we get like 12 day gaps.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Does anybody feel that Bauer sticks lose their pop quickly? My APX shafts have been feeling dead lately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I was a late roster addition to a team for an out-of-town tournament this weekend, :woop:!

Our first game is Friday night at 5:30, which I can't make (having to work sucks, but it pays for the hockey). Next game, Saturday at 9:30AM. It's a three hour drive from where I am to the tournament site, so I'm thinking about instead of leaving here after work Friday night, just getting up at the asscrack of dawn and driving down Saturday morning for the game. Our next game is at 3:30 that afternoon. I like to think of it as an endurance challenge.

The only proper solution to this is to skip work on Friday.

When we were in our tournament in San Jose earlier this year, we all took Friday off for our afternoon games. It was fantastic knowing that I was playing hockey and drinking beers while all my chump coworkers were working.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I almost bought a Bauer 5100 helmet on Saturday but they didn't have it in stock in the color I want. I was going to order one online and I got thinking: is there any real advantage to spending the $10 more to get the 7500?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Topoisomerase posted:

This sets a really bad precedent that will cause somebody to eventually get seriously injured. In beer league hockey. Where nobody has learned to hit nor take a hit properly. It's really dangerous.

There's literally nothing worse than a ref who "lets them play" in beer league. One guy hits somebody, no call, tempers flare, it always gets out of hand.

It's so stupid.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team's jerseys from Hockey Tron just came in today. I think they're really sweet, although I'm probably biased because I made the logo. The fabric is really nice and light, but doesn't feel cheap like mesh ones I have. Hopefully they last a few seasons. Here's my attempt at being a sports model.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You need to adjust the f-stop. I have literally no idea what's happening in the picture in the background.

jersey looks nice :-)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 9, 2012

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Got an email last night to say I'm on a team in the beer league. First game is Monday. So excite.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Loqieu posted:

My team's jerseys from Hockey Tron just came in today. I think they're really sweet, although I'm probably biased because I made the logo. The fabric is really nice and light, but doesn't feel cheap like mesh ones I have. Hopefully they last a few seasons. Here's my attempt at being a sports model.

I don't understand why this photo has been manipulated so much.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I don't understand why people in a hockey thread are complaining so much about after effects on a picture designed to show of a jersey

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Nice jersey, way better than our "blank front practice jersey" uniforms :effort:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

I don't understand why people in a hockey thread are complaining so much about after effects on a picture designed to show of a jersey

Because we're all secretly photographers too. :ssh:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Loqieu posted:

What jerseys are these? I looked at Hockey Tron for possibly buying new team jerseys but I didn't see any with black/white accents like that. I'd really like white with black and green accents (kind of like a reverse of what you have there, but with more accents), but for some reason I cant find ANY place that sells this color combo. It's always white/black, white/red, white/blue, never white/green.

Also, to the Pittsburgh goon looking for a team at Ice Castle, e-mail me at dustinweisser at gmail, I'm probably taking charge of our team next term and need to fill out our roster. We'll play at C-major or C-minor (the two lowest levels at ice castle) if interested. Not sure what fee will be, somewhere between $100-130 i'd imagine, depending on the number of people we get and what the league fee is this time around.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just got asked to play in a pond hockey tournament in Colorado in February, apparently sponsored by PBR :lol:. I really want to do this.

On another note, we just bumped our record up to 5-0 last night. We thrashed and shutout a team that used to beat up on us in Bronze. I scored on my first shift with a laser to the top shelf over the blocker as I was coming into the zone from the RW. Feels good man.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

I just got asked to play in a pond hockey tournament in Colorado in February, apparently sponsored by PBR :lol:. I really want to do this.

If that's the tournament up at Red Feather Lakes, I've heard nothing but good things about it from when I lived there. Word of the wise, get ready to get your rear end kicked if you're not used to altitude as it's at ~7,0000 to 8,000 feet above sea level.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, 70000 feet? Do they make a hockey helmet that comes with an oxygen supply?

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
I feel like posting here is like calling into the sports station "long time listener, first time caller" cue obnoxious sound!

Is there a list where and when goons play? Specifically the Chicago land area?

I will be doing a local developmental league in the spring, because I have ZERO experience, and only begun skating again recently. About a couple times a month for the last year. Where as a young lad I used to go ice skating every Saturday for years.

But that brings me to the all mighty important question: Is there a good resource whether it is written, video, or what ever for becoming at skating?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are a bunch of videos on youtube. howtohockeydotcom and m2hockey are pretty good dudes to follow.

There's also a bunch of tutorials from other people if you search for specific skating techniques.

If you want a book, Laura Stamm's book is pretty much the de facto manual for power skating.

edit - I play once a week at All Seasons in Aurora. Thursday nights. Some dudes are trying to convince me to get into league play in the spring. I still don't feel like my skating is good enough to be on a team, but they insist being a good skater is not a prerequisite for the low level stuff.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 9, 2012

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
I am up in Lake County; There are a bunch of options, but it looks like Rinkside in Gurnee has the best options, and is close to home.

But I will check out those resources. I can do just about anything except stop.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

shdwdmg posted:

Is there a list where and when goons play? Specifically the Chicago land area?

Here is the list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E

I have to find the link to add yourself to the list

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I love you guys like you don't even know.

We had a slow day at work Friday and I printed up a mess of these:

They are bumper stickers on vehicle-rated vinyl.

After sharing a bunch around with my team Friday night, I have 18 left. If you want one, post in the thread that you want one and I'll PM you for your address. If you don't have PMs, I dunno, put your email in spoiler tags or something. First eighteen to reply get one.

As for my game this week, we won. I have really turned on my D game the past two weeks; not sure how it happened but I'm sure as hell not complaining. Makes me happy.

I'd love one or two of these.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone ever heard of these guys?

http://trinityhockeyco.com/

Because $35 for a composite stick is absurd. Wondering if their sticks are any good.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

coldwind posted:

I don't understand why this photo has been manipulated so much.

Afterfocus on my android phone is all I have since my DSLR was stolen last year. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's no reason not to do this. Most pond hockey tournaments are sponsored by beer. Eagle River is sponsored by Labatt Blue. Lake Placid's sponsorship is unknown and is the biggest concern at this point. You will have fun. Also you'll probably get your rear end kicked regardless of altitude (it's just so different!) but Bradford is right, it certainly won't help!!

xzzy posted:

Anyone ever heard of these guys?

http://trinityhockeyco.com/

Because $35 for a composite stick is absurd. Wondering if their sticks are any good.

You generally get what you pay for. Spend $35 on a clearance Easton/Bauer/CCM/whatever if you're looking for a solid stick. Are you actually considering changing from wood? Why?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

You generally get what you pay for. Spend $35 on a clearance Easton/Bauer/CCM/whatever if you're looking for a solid stick. Are you actually considering changing from wood? Why?

Not considering a change. But I came across the website and the price tag seemed to be one of those too good to be true numbers. Was just curious if anyone had any opinion on them.

edit - the only change I am considering is new skates (that actually fit me). Driving through Minnesota next week for work related reasons, and was searching around for competent skate fitters up that way. Which is how I came across these hockey stick guys.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

toxicsunset posted:

What jerseys are these? I looked at Hockey Tron for possibly buying new team jerseys but I didn't see any with black/white accents like that. I'd really like white with black and green accents (kind of like a reverse of what you have there, but with more accents), but for some reason I cant find ANY place that sells this color combo. It's always white/black, white/red, white/blue, never white/green.
It's their DJ200 jersey. I just checked and they don't have one in white/green either. http://www.hockeytron.com/trdjtesehoje.html

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Loqieu posted:

Afterfocus on my android phone is all I have since my DSLR was stolen last year. :(
Oh.

So, was it Afterfocus that made parts of it blurry?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

coldwind posted:

Oh.

So, was it Afterfocus that made parts of it blurry?

Yup. You can tell because I missed selecting part of the window shade under my right glove, which is in focus. Cheap way to get decent bokeh.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

dms666 posted:

Here is the list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E

I have to find the link to add yourself to the list

Here:

You can also update my position from "bahahahahah" to W

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So, I got this as a gift and while the tag says XXL, I'd say since it's form fitting it's more suited to a XL or even L.

Still brand new with tags. Reebok Playdry.
Anyone want it for $20?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Well, got another e-mail from the Learn To Play adult league that was supposed to start tomorrow night. You know, the one that was already moved a month and 30 minutes away, and we lost one session out of it? Guess what this e-mail said! :v:

Yup, they still don't have enough people to turn a profit, so they're delaying it one more week. If they don't get more signups, they're cancelling it outright. If I had known this back when I signed up, I would have tried to find another league. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's no good. If it does fall through, your best option may be to look up any kind of drop-in hockey you can find.. rat hockey, skill clinics, whatever. Basically your mission turns into learning names and chatting dudes up to find out when and where they're playing their hockey. Once you tap into that network, a lot more options will open up.

Plus you'll be getting some ice time so you can work on your skating. :v:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

xzzy posted:

That's no good. If it does fall through, your best option may be to look up any kind of drop-in hockey you can find.. rat hockey, skill clinics, whatever. Basically your mission turns into learning names and chatting dudes up to find out when and where they're playing their hockey. Once you tap into that network, a lot more options will open up.

Plus you'll be getting some ice time so you can work on your skating. :v:

Yeah, I spent all this money on hockey gear a few months ago, I might as well get SOME use out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It's amazing how many options open up once you know a lot of the players. There's a roller hockey league I've been invited to several times around here. I just don't have the $$$ for roller blades.