Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Raerlynn posted:

Would you mind sharing your ratios?

Also with isopropyl alcohol, is that 70% or 91%?
I think 3/1/1 matte/water/flow aid, and I use 91% as that's what I have around. I'm not exactly an airbrush savant, though, so someone more experienced might have better advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just picked up some simple green, how long do I need to leave a model in it for the paint to start coming off? Do I need to take a brush to it afterwards to get at any residual paint?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It usually takes around 4-6 hours for paint to start getting gummy, but you'd be better off just leaving the models soak overnight. And use an old toothbrush for scrubbing any residual paint.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cool, thanks! Now to do this for the ~65 models I have... :(

Acetaldehyde
Nov 16, 2009

Screw destiny. Right in the face.
I'm trying to figure out how to paint the Eldar army I'm planning, and I was hoping to get some feedback on this.
Feels like I've looked at it so long I can't tell good from bad anymore.

Planning on having a group of Dark Eldar allies, and I'll probably focus more on the orange on those. Probly something like this

I'm looking to have all the Eldar units either be mounted on jetbikes or being vehicles, so thoughts on how this scheme might transfer to vehicles would be appreciated.

Acetaldehyde fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 9, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Raerlynn posted:

Also with isopropyl alcohol, is that 70% or 91%?

91% is where it's at. 70% just doesn't penetrate all the nooks and channels inside the airbrush that 91% does. Just be careful about cleaning the airbrush with the stuff while it's disassembled; isopropyl can dry out rubber real fast, which would cause your washers to crack if you let it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone else have one of these?

It's called the Brush Tub and I think it got it at a Michael's, definitely many years ago. I'm glad I never got rid of it, the ribbed section is great for knocking off paint and the soaking section fits 3 brushes. I only ever use water in it and I use a jar to store my brushes tip end up so I don't use the storage holes on the side of the tub.

I have no idea if the Brush Tub is still being made, but it might be worth looking for if you like to have random single-use items for your toy-painting activities.

Acetaldehyde posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to paint the Eldar army I'm planning, and I was hoping to get some feedback on this.

Planning on having a group of Dark Eldar allies, and I'll probably focus more on the orange on those. Probly something like this

I'm looking to have all the Eldar units either be mounted on jetbikes or being vehicles, so thoughts on how this scheme might transfer to vehicles would be appreciated.
I think both look good, having some sort of cohesion between allies is good thing and I'm a fan of the 'black + other color' look. My DE are going going to be mostly black with bright red drybrush highlights just because that's how I thought of them from the begining. I'm not sure how I'm going to do my eldar allies but one of the eldar vehicles I got on ebay is a bright orange-red with black undertones, so I might stick with that, I'll have to decide down the road (kind of depends if I get my airbrush going before then). Fluff-wise I don't want them to have the same colors and I don't want ALL of my armies to have the same color (I also have Chaos).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Acetaldehyde posted:

I like them.

Acetaldehyde
Nov 16, 2009

Screw destiny. Right in the face.

Silhouette posted:

I like them.

Welp, now I gotta paint them like that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any tips for getting a clean, even red coat? I sprayed brown and did 2 layers of red on my Ork Bommer but it still looks really streaky :(

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Silhouette posted:

I like them.

I just spat mountain dew all over my monitor you son of a bitch.

E: SAB it sounds like you need an airbrush. Barring that I say prime white and get ready for lots of thin layers.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Sab669 posted:

Any tips for getting a clean, even red coat? I sprayed brown and did 2 layers of red on my Ork Bommer but it still looks really streaky :(

Thin paints and lots of coats. Two isnt going to cut it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heh, sad times. Why is it that two of my favorite colors (red & yellow) are some of the most frustrating to paint for me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

krushgroove posted:

Does anyone else have one of these?

I have a square one of those, picked it up in the clearance section of Michael's for like a dollar. It's been pretty well used over the years. I don't use the soaking section, it's for brushes larger than the ones we use I think.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I just bought a relic contemptor and I can confirm that it is a very sweet model. My only complaint about it is that it comes with a lot of little pieces making it somewhat difficult to experiment with poses before pinning/gluing everything together.

Obligatory WIP shot of forgeworld robots

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I have a square one of those, picked it up in the clearance section of Michael's for like a dollar. It's been pretty well used over the years. I don't use the soaking section, it's for brushes larger than the ones we use I think.
What's up Brush Tub buddy! I knew I'd find someone else out there with one. Praise be to the internet!

I think I lucked out getting mine, I do like it a lot. I always think of Bob Ross and his love of whacking the poo poo out of his brushes when he cleaned them when I use that ribbed portion.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
How many people actually hacked up Space Hulk minis, and how many are buying the obvious recasts on ebay for that purpose instead?

I see more of them as 40k models than I have ever seen of them as Space Hulk minis.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd buy the recasts. I couldn't bring myself to take a knife to the actual SH minis.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Very slowly hacking mine up because gently caress Blood Angels, Imperial Fists all day every day.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Very slowly hacking mine up because gently caress Blood Angels, Imperial Fists all day every day.

DornBro4lyf, but come on man, those minis are too nice to hack up.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

DornBro4lyf, but come on man, those minis are too nice to hack up.

That's how I feel. It breaks my heart every time I see a used copy of space hulk sitting in my LGS's cabinet, tiles unpunched, genestealers on sprue, missing the marines.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pretend I posted my Salamander SH dudes because they own and Blood Angels are sissy boy scrubs :owned:

Can't actually do that posting from phone.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I still have the full marine set just waiting for me to come up with something to do with them. Not sure if I ever will, but I may just say "gently caress it" and paint them up for fun, Death Company style.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Manifest posted:

That's how I feel. It breaks my heart every time I see a used copy of space hulk sitting in my LGS's cabinet, tiles unpunched, genestealers on sprue, missing the marines.

That too. It makes me kinda wish they weren't in 40k scale, so people couldn't cannibalize it, because SH is still one of the best thing GW have ever produced. You genuinely can't play SH and not have fun.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

That too. It makes me kinda wish they weren't in 40k scale, so people couldn't cannibalize it, because SH is still one of the best thing GW have ever produced. You genuinely can't play SH and not have fun.

If you don't have fun playing Space Hulk, you're probably in the wrong hobby.
It's just one of those games that is perfect.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've been holding onto my copy of Space Hulk for years. Someday I will paint it, but when I do not know. I'm tempted to use Dark Vengeance Deathwing Terminators for Space Hulk though, since the models are awesome.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Painting on the sprue. :getin:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SRM posted:

I've been holding onto my copy of Space Hulk for years. Someday I will paint it, but when I do not know. I'm tempted to use Dark Vengeance Deathwing Terminators for Space Hulk though, since the models are awesome.

This is exactly why I bought the Dark Vengeance set instead of splitting a box or getting the Chaos models separate. I have some Terminators from AoBR to fill in the rest of them, but the Deathwing belongs in Space Hulks.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I just got a mountain king (hooray), but I'm not sure what to do with the rocks on his back.

My trolls are all based on red desert bases, as inspired by this local landmark:

I'm thinking of painting the rocks on his back to match, but considering that I'm painting it in the traditional troll blue, would that be too contrasty?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The rats.

I remember wanting to get into Fantasy, and bought two of those rat halves to start.

After painting the first one in a month, I was swearing to never paint a rat again. May still finish that Hellpit Abomination, though. That was bad rear end.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

poo poo quality photos but I finished some Cygnar rangers.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I was assembling an overlord from the Catacomb Command Barge box, and I'm really impressed at how clean the model was with regards to mold lines/flash. I barely even had to clean up after cutting it. Although the small bit for the neck was a bit of a pain in the rear end to file. How bad is the CCB itself to assemble? Also I plan on painting the warriors kind of a rusty red like the model in the upper-left corner of the big rulebook. Any recommendations on paints/washes/techniques to use?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Cross posting because I'm glad I finally got them all done. Need to retake some shots under some less intense lighting though. Just washed out some of the detail in the end like the green glow effect I drybrushed on the rune blades.

So I finally got to finish painting all of my Criid crew except the avatar this weekend.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

panascope posted:

I was assembling an overlord from the Catacomb Command Barge box, and I'm really impressed at how clean the model was with regards to mold lines/flash. I barely even had to clean up after cutting it. Although the small bit for the neck was a bit of a pain in the rear end to file. How bad is the CCB itself to assemble? Also I plan on painting the warriors kind of a rusty red like the model in the upper-left corner of the big rulebook. Any recommendations on paints/washes/techniques to use?

The CCB and Ghost Ark are both nightmares to assemble. Really, most of the Necron vehicles are easier to paint when only partially assembled. Lots of the ribs and overhanging arches and plates make details impossible to reach. The bottom of the CCB is especially bad.

They are great models, don't get me wrong, but goddamn are there a lot of little parts. The Night Scythe is twice as big but easily took half to a third as long to build and paint.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

They're looking good, but... why?

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012
Anyone got some tips on how to really speed up paint progress without losing quality. Im finding that while im happy with my end results, i am not happy with my mates painting entire squads in the time it takes me to do one model.
I guess my moto has always been "Compensate for skill shortage with extreme patience"
And 100 touch ups. a minute.

Anyway heres the first DV chosen ive painted: And i must say im slightly annoyed at the clip together build because of the big nasty cracks in the shoulder plates. For the duplicate model im thinking i will gum them shut with green stuff, i guess this guy just has cracked shoulders.

Crossposted image from 40k thread, should have just left it here instead.

Crowleraptor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 10, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

TheSaddestRobot, you look like you're doing some really good painting.

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012
Crime Fighting Hog, I know you posted this oodles of pages back but I can't see your post history. Would you mind writing out your scheme for your Cygnar? I quite fancy the yellow for my Mercs (if you don't mind), keep up the good work.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Crowleraptor posted:

Anyone got some tips on how to really speed up paint progress without losing quality. Im finding that while im happy with my end results, i am not happy with my mates painting entire squads in the time it takes me to do one model.
I guess my moto has always been "Compensate for skill shortage with extreme patience"
And 100 touch ups. a minute.

While I can only speak from partial experience, the fastest painters in this thread have a knack for placing paint with extreme accuracy; their number of touch-ups is very small. I am in no way a fast painter, but I have noticed that my speed has improved dramatically as of late, really just from practice. Basically, keep at it and focus on improving brush control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AgentF posted:

They're looking good, but... why?

Since I'm doing my bases separately, I find I can factory paint like a beast with a skewer of rats rather than one at a time. Most of the paint job is just washes with some highlights, so its really fast.

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread