Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Casu Marzu posted:

You've had a bad one. They should be sweet, yes, but also tart

Fair enough, I sort of figured that was the case.

People poo poo on Galas, but they consistently have the right balance of sweet flesh and tart skin that I like. The texture can be iffy but this time of year they're good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No no no. I wasn't at the actual Oktoberfest in Munich, as cool as that would have been. Rather, I was at our town's fest, which is really cool on two levels. First, since we're a farm town, there's actual significance to a harvest festival since we've just finished, well, harvesting. But second, it's put on by and as a benefit for the junior high and highschool music programs. So it's in this great big barn, and everybody in town comes. There's good German music, plus the highschool band and choirs perform. All the kids work as servers bringing delicious foods like soups and hot kraut and assorted sausages and potato cakes and cucumber salads and everything else you can think of. The Rotary Club runs DAS BIERGARTEN in the corner of the barn under it's own little tent with it's own lights hanging and such and they bring in a great many kegs of pretty good actual marzens and weisbiers from good breweries that we all drink from big 1 litre mugs all night long. Actually, it's very close to the big party scene from the first LOTR movie - It's a real community thing, you see, and it's actual good wholesome fun for everyone involved. And we raise a ton of money for the music program, which is good because they don't get any actual funding from the school district.

Is this in America? Where can I find this community farm paradise?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nevada :(

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I thought drought was choking the life out of the southwest. Was the harvest good?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A Heaven in Hell.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

the black husserl posted:

I thought drought was choking the life out of the southwest. Was the harvest good?

Pretty good. Onions and garlic did well, and so has the cabbage, salad greens, and squash. The alfalfa did about average, but prices are high; same goes for silage corn. Canola and teff didn't do so well, but those are new crops for this area so people are still figuring out how to deal with them. The drought was bad here, of course, but our water is from the sierras, and we still have lots of water in the reservoirs. If we don't get much snow this winter, though, it will be a tough one next year.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

mindphlux posted:

hey also, I think I asked already - but anyone have any must-go-to recommendations for Chicago - food or sights wise? I think I heard about some market or something?

I ended up getting a reservation at Next, since Alinea was closed. So that part should be good...

If you are into cocktails, check out The Violet Hour. I haven't been yet, but I've heard it is a T.S. Eliot-themed bar with a hidden door and wonderful drinks. (I cannot guarantee that it won't be full of smug bow-tied mixologists.) If you are into museums, go to the Museum of Science and Industry and Museum of Contemporary Art. Very fun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MisterOblivious posted:

It shouldn't have lacked the tart as you describe unless you lean towards Granny Smith levels of tartness.
Granny Smiths are the only apples, everything else is a weird knockoff brand. :colbert:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CuddleChunks posted:

Time to get your Guild Wars 2 on.

A friend bought it for me about a week after release, but it definitely looks better now.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

:swoon:

so, for $18, I got a taste of every single ham on their menu, except it wasn't a taste it was more like a loving ham typhoon because christ almighty, I tasted every single ham on that platter and after just one slice I was going into salt overload coma.
Ohhh drat that's nice. It's great to find a restaurant where the chef is excited about his product and goes the extra mile to share it with people who are excited too. I've had four of those I think - Benton's, Ecofriendly, Iberico, and Mangalitsa. Was the Mangalitsa from an Austrian/Hungarian herd, or one of the American breeders? The fat quality on that breed is pretty incredible, initially firmer than Berkshire before melting away like butter.

Benton's makes bacon too, and they smoke it very heavily. If you cook Benton's your neighbors three houses down will smell the woodsmoke. It's tasty stuff, but I've been going more for the light cure, light smoke, porky-tasting bacons lately.

My local wine and cheese shop (where I tasted the above hams) had their 6th anniversary party on Saturday. They brought in some special guests and had wine, cheese, and charcuterie tastings. One of the special things was pancetta made from pata negra belly. It was like pig flavored butter, with tough chewy bits from the skin and meat - probably the best pork belly thing I've had as far as cooking potential goes. The distributor was talking about cooking turnips and turnip greens in the fat, then throwing in some pasta and a touch of butter to finish. I went to the farmers market the next day and they had turnips, so I guess I'm going to do that tonight. Should be fun.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I am so hungover right now death is an option.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Homemade apple hooch?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've been saying it for a while now, but Filipino Halo Halo packaged in the same manner as PinkBerry is overdue for it's spotlightmoment.

:getin:

Dude. There's cheese on that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

I am so hungover right now death is an option.

I was at a wedding on Saturday and still haven't got over it. I am definitely getting old.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Reminder: Pepe's pizza in New Haven's clam pizza is the best specialty pie around anywhere. But if you get the opportunity to try a decent clam pie (dough, clam, garlic) anywhere, do it.

Super convenient if you're driving from Boston to NYC or vice-versa, too.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Have any of you guys eaten at Koi in Seal Beach, CA cause holy poo poo

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
There will be a meat grinder in the apartment soon. I can finally grind my own burger meat. I am burgin so hard in anticipation :woop:

e: :burger:

An observer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 9, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

An observer posted:

There will be a meat grinder in the apartment soon. I can finally grind my own burger meat. I am burgin so hard in anticipation :woop:

Advice: Freeze your poo poo!

By poo poo I mean the meat (just barely frozen) and the attachment (should be as cold as the stares from my wife when I discuss her fathers sex-life with him).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

An observer posted:

Cast iron or kitchenaid?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Vegetable Melange posted:

Cast iron or kitchenaid?

I have both! It's vintage, and it doesn't work well at all, but I have it, along with my decades old stand mixer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

I have both! It's vintage, and it doesn't work well at all, but I have it, along with my decades old stand mixer.
Which do you find better for hookers?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Cast iron, just like the one my family owned back in the old country :allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Hi friends! Today is my birthday. My significant other got me this! He did pretty good, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Hi friends! Today is my birthday. My significant other got me this! He did pretty good, right?

If he really loved you he'd have gotten you the $600 version :colbert:

Kidding aside, I didn't know they had a home version. Makes it actually a tempting option now...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 10, 2012

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Happy birthday mp! <3

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mediaphage posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol

so

I've been joking with my girlfriend for like, a long time about the modernist cuisine books. I'm always like 'lol NEVER BUY ME THIS ITS LIKE 600 DOLLARS YOU WOULD BE INSANE TO DO THAT'

but my birthday is in like 8 days, and today this large heavy package came and she was like 'oh that's my books'. I was like 'drat girl thats a lot of lawschool books' and didn't think much of it - but she rushed off and hid the box and told me not to go into the closet.

:ohdear:

anyways congrats and happy birthday, almost-birthday-buddy! expensive cooking books are great presents! :)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

therattle posted:

Which do you find better for hookers?

Most hookers I hang around with prefer primal cuts. They don't like ground meat :iiam:. In their line of work, the possibility of spreading bacteria needlessly scares them off or something.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mediaphage posted:

Got my copy today too, I read about half of it, it's really great.

If you have a puddle machine and one of those molecular gastronomy starter kits you can make pretty much everything in the book, plus if you own the original set the At Home book references back to it for a lot of stuff which is cool.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mediaphage posted:

10/10 is the best birthday.

I'm thirty today!

No cookbooks yet, though. Mr. W got me opera tickets for this weekend! Wagner!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

He suuuure did. I'm jealous. Happy birthday!

Wroughtirony posted:

10/10 is the best birthday.

I'm thirty today!

No cookbooks yet, though. Mr. W got me opera tickets for this weekend! Wagner!

Happy birthday to you too! Enjoy the opera. Wife got to go to a dance performance last night, which I haven't done for about 18 months (no opera either; stupid babby) - I was very jealous.

“I like Wagner's music better than anybody's. It is so loud that one can talk the whole time without other people hearing what one says.” ― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

"Wagner’s music is better than it sounds". - Edgar Wilson Nye

"I can’t listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland." - Woody Allen

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Last night we won 18 to 0. We should have had Die Valkyren playing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks for the well wishes, friends! It wasn't a bad day - Canadian Thanksgiving was Monday, so I made buttermilk rolls, cranberry sauce, caramelized carrot soup, gluten-free stuffing, which came out surprisingly okay, buttered fingerling potatoes with green onions, Thomas Keller's roast chicken, some fried yuba roll for me, and individual pumpkin cheesecake desserts, with gluten-free speculoos crumbled below and atop, and layered with whipped coconut cream.

Our Muslim friend and his wife (who is allergic to gluten) joined us and brought stuffed grape leaves, hummus, and a box of awesome middle eastern desserts.

Yesterday we went to a froo-froo grocery store and got abunch of expensive finger foods for supper, including this spread that was composed of cream cheese, butter, sun-dried tomatoes, and pesto. Ridiculous. And MC!

Anyway, it's a good week so far. Out to Denver (well, Fort Collins, really) for work today. I hope everyone else is having a good week!

Your friend,
mediaphage

</lj>

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 10, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Thanks for the well wishes, friends! It wasn't a bad day - Canadian Thanksgiving was Monday, so I made buttermilk rolls, cranberry sauce, caramelized carrot soup, gluten-free stuffing, which came out surprisingly okay, buttered fingerling potatoes with green onions, Thomas Keller's roast chicken, some fried yuba roll for me, and individual pumpkin cheesecake desserts, with gluten-free speculoos crumbled below and atop, and layered with whipped coconut cream.

Our Muslim friend and his wife (who is allergic to gluten) joined us and brought stuffed grape leaves, hummus, and a box of awesome middle eastern desserts.

Yesterday we went to a froo-froo grocery store and got abunch of expensive finger foods for supper, including this spread that was composed of cream cheese, butter, sun-dried tomatoes, and pesto. Ridiculous. And MC!

Anyway, it's a good week so far. Out to Denver (well, Fort Collins, really) for work today. I hope everyone else is having a good week!

Your friend,
mediaphage

</lj>

This is a good post, and so is your post in my spanking new bread thread.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

This is a good post, and so is your post in my spanking new bread thread.

Foodchatbook

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Foodchatbook

Foodbook.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Insufficiently ridiculous

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok keepin the good news running

the ring I was having designed is finished. they appraised it and HOLY gently caress I won the lottery

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2764878&pagenumber=167#post408399211

time to go eat at a grant achatz restaurant and get hitched! :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

ok keepin the good news running

the ring I was having designed is finished. they appraised it and HOLY gently caress I won the lottery

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2764878&pagenumber=167#post408399211

time to go eat at a grant achatz restaurant and get hitched! :)

That reminds me, we need to go get gravette's band and engagement ring appraised.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife didn't want an engagement ring. :smug:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

Sorry she's not proud to be married to you, I guess?

:iceburn:

Fake Edit: I kid, that was mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

therattle posted:

She's lying. Buy her something shiny.