Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

call-cc

you know, helen of troy is pretty and all but she lacks vagina dentata, might be a dealbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

tef posted:

call-cc

yes it does, in clojure.algo.monads

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
only if you write your code in a ~special~ way, it isn't a built in feature.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
if all you care about is immutable data just use erlang

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

jonny idk how much you read on ebooks but i saw this and figured you'd like it: http://perlybook.org/

converts cpan documentation to mobi/epub for reading.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OOOOOOH

gently caress yeah

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chrome-app-samples/tree/master/webserver

run a webserver in your browser dawg

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

its like have come full circle, but its not a circle, its a spiral, going ever downard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JawnV6 posted:

bring a parlimentary procedure to a quick end :xd:

xD

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

has anoyone made a "monads mo problems" joke yet?

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
mo gnads

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
azure finally supports a good database http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2012/10/09/riak-is-now-available-on-windows-azure.aspx

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

would be cooler to be able to make an arbitrary tcp socket.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
oh hey, chrome supports that, and udp sockets too. drat thats cool

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lisp is a honeypot for terrible people. There are literally 0 chill people using lisp and any time lisp hackers try to work together 75% of dev time is wasted on dick waving. The other 25% is rewriting libraries to be more elegant (read obfuscated)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

counter point: Guy Steele loving owns. Same with Sussman. (or you meant CL?)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i know a couple non-terrible lisp people but they only use it to script emacs

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
non terrible people who use emacs, much less do custom scripting for it?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

counter point: Guy Steele loving owns. Same with Sussman. (or you meant CL?)
Common Lisp I guess. The ones who write elegies for the lisp machine and think Paul graham is a great man

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
call/cc is a terrible control construct. It just breaks everything you'd want in a language, no use of it isn't awful. I'm surprised it's not in Perl.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I been writing a lot of JavaScript for work lately and man that's a crazy language I mean its not that bad really but I have this weird feeling that its like creeping crud to where the more JavaScript you write the more JavaScript you have to write does anyone know what I mean ?????

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

shrughes posted:

call/cc is a terrible control construct. It just breaks everything you'd want in a language, no use of it isn't awful. I'm surprised it's not in Perl.

it's in perl 6

my... my continuation passing style :negative:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
perl 5 already had goto subroutine which is effectively call-cc

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

I been writing a lot of JavaScript for work lately and man that's a crazy language I mean its not that bad really but I have this weird feeling that its like creeping crud to where the more JavaScript you write the more JavaScript you have to write does anyone know what I mean ?????

I know right? Like when you're just using it + jquery and you're doing some DOM manipulation it's alright. But then you gotta do some hard hittin pipe poo poo and you're in the shower listenin to fiona apple.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Otto Skorzeny posted:

languages that don't make unicode painful to use correctly:

languages that make unicode painful to use correctly:
python
ruby
java
c#
go(!)

the string class you use for everything in cocoa supports unicode automatically

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Java is fine if you ignore surrogate pairs, which everyone does so good luck writing java and using libraries and handling code points outside the BMP

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

languages that don't make unicode painful to use correctly:

languages that make unicode painful to use correctly:
python
ruby
java
c#
go(!)

C# support for unicode is excellent. And later versions of Perl5. plpgsql is pretty good for it as well.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

call-cc

no one uses call-cc except to masturbate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Once ur a web "dev" you're tainted forever.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
once you dev for webs you realize everything else sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Idk if I've ever had unicode problems in Java. It just works.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fwiw call/cc allowed the Racket guys to handle backtracking and create a Prolog dialect as a library that allows you to do logic programming within the regular language, and mixing both types of code. Pretty nifty.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

MononcQc posted:

fwiw call/cc allowed the Racket guys to handle backtracking and create a Prolog dialect as a library that allows you to do logic programming within the regular language, and mixing both types of code. Pretty nifty.

https://github.com/clojure/core.logic

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tbh I haven't read any of the projects' code and can't know if one or the other has that feel of "you can do it if you hammer in the screw hard enough!" where it's possible, but far from nice to implement things with or without call/cc.

I mean, I could throw in a Javascript 3D video game implementation and say "see, your C++ performances don't matter, it's doable in Javascript", which doesn't mean it's desirable.

That it's possible to do doesn't tell me that it's a good thing either way.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

do everything in javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

gross

gross

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

incredibly smart people solving arbitrarily hard problems in undoubtedly clever ways that no-one cares about

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Java is fine if you ignore surrogate pairs, which everyone does so good luck writing java and using libraries and handling code points outside the BMP

What the gently caress did you just say

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
monads mo masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

homercles posted:

incredibly smart people solving arbitrarily hard problems in undoubtedly clever ways that no-one cares about

actually I think the clojure stuff posted by trex eaterofcadrs is used to power Datomic's data query language, which would be a pretty neat, useful problem to solve (for people who use Datomic)