Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

KlavoHunter posted:

Any other goons go on the Slimey Crud Run today? I looked dumb as hell with all the extra stuff I had on, but at least I stayed warm!

That was today? Well crap. I did NOTHING else today. I should have done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

That was today? Well crap. I did NOTHING else today. I should have done that.

Same here, I didnt even realize it was yesterday. Dammit, I would have went too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have the day off for Columbus Day today, so I finally got around to using my free Harley rental from my BRC that I took there. I've riden 110 miles so far today, but I think that's probably going to be it for the day because some big storm clouds are rolling in right now. I'm a little bummed, I was hoping to ride until my rear end pretty much couldn't take anymore. Well, I have it until 10:30am tomorrow so I plan to get up at a good hour and ride some more before it's due back. It's so much more fun being out on the road, especially here in Florida where getting to a good riding speed keeps you immensely cooler.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Now just wait til you ride a bike that's actually fun :haw:

Just kidding man, if this is your first time on a bike it must have been awesome! Getting out on the road the first time on your own is always such a rush.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Harleys are fun! Maybe I am just easily amused...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is Harley one of the only big manufacturers that doesn't play a single part in international races like the MotoGP?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They have natl series and there are other manufacturers that don't race.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

nsaP posted:

They have natl series and there are other manufacturers that don't race.

Googling NATL returns some Florida University thing. Kinda proved my point for me. :p

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Odette posted:

Googling NATL returns some Florida University thing. Kinda proved my point for me. :p

NATL = national

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Odette posted:

Is Harley one of the only big manufacturers that doesn't play a single part in international races like the MotoGP?

They don't make sportbikes. Why would they race in sportbike events?

There is the AMA XR1200 spec racing series, which I think is probably the biggest road course racing Harley's involved in. They are still involved in AMA flat track racing, and there seems to be all sorts of Harley goings-on in drag racing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Triumph doesn't race outside of BSS. May not sound like a 'major' brand but they outsell at least Aprilia and KTM streetbikes (getting hard numbers is a hassle.) Most of Triumph's sales are cruisers, though.

They had a Thruxton Cup series years back, but as far as I can tell it's defunct. The racing doesn't look any faster than Harley XR racing but man do those bikes sound angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI-a4Aay9JY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I say, old chap. That sounds quite like a squadron of spitfires, tally ho! :britain:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I haven't seen much of BSS, but I did get linked to this from a 675 forum: R6 and a 675 battling it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfJ9pKcs0w
Are british commentators always this nuts?

theperminator fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 10, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Odette posted:

They are a force to be reckoned with in flat track. They also play a big part in drag racing. I think NHRA has a couple of classes based around Harleys. Either way, they compete in a bunch of drag stuff

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

Triumph doesn't race outside of BSS. May not sound like a 'major' brand but they outsell at least Aprilia and KTM streetbikes (getting hard numbers is a hassle.) Most of Triumph's sales are cruisers, though.

They had a Thruxton Cup series years back, but as far as I can tell it's defunct. The racing doesn't look any faster than Harley XR racing but man do those bikes sound angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI-a4Aay9JY

There were 675s running in World Supersport this year, the riders came 7th and 9th in the championship and they got more manufacturer's points than Yamaha.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

theperminator posted:

I haven't seen much of BSS, but I did get linked to this from a 675 forum: R6 and a 675 battling it out

yes, and it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94PF43oEps

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I went to the post office yesterday over my lunch. Got off my motorcycle and walked in, and a lady that was walking out told me "Nice bike, and thank you for wearing your helmet!" I was like :c00lbert: "Yeah I wear it every time I ride." Made me feel pretty good, especially since my bike isn't the coolest ride out there and I never see other cruiser riders in helmets.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Contemplating modding my seat for more comfort. Should I go with greatdaytoride or attempt it myself? I've heard great reviews of GDTR, but shipping a seat that size is going to be a bitch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They are a force to be reckoned with in flat track. They also play a big part in drag racing. I think NHRA has a couple of classes based around Harleys. Either way, they compete in a bunch of drag stuff

They do but it's not like they run production anything in either of those classes...they'll all custom bikes that share very little with the roadgoing harleys. The only one that is even close to the stock stuff is the XR1200 cup, and those have a race kit you have to buy that changes the forks, shocks, triples, wheels, etc.

theperminator posted:

I haven't seen much of BSS, but I did get linked to this from a 675 forum: R6 and a 675 battling it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfJ9pKcs0w

That pass around the outside at the end is loving nuts. In the damp, no less.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Been in Europe about 2.5 weeks, bought a 05 VFR in Ireland and tooling around on it. Thought it would be a good sport/tour bike but man I hate this thing. Died coming into some town today, luckily I found a car shop and found a honda bike shop in town to go to tomorrow.

Things I hate about this bike:
- VTEC = motor is worthless below 7-8k rpm
- feels heavier than my old bandit 12
- doesn't really handle that well
- not comfortable
- craptacular FI
- heats up to 100 C + within 3 minutes of driving under 30mph. has fan clicking on/off 100-110C. Fuckin hot. And then it just clicks off while your in traffic. Today it didn't come back on! Wish I had found another B12 here, oh well

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Infinotize posted:

This seems opposed to the purpose of VTEC - isn't the system designed so that you get better low-speed performance without sacrificing a screaming top-end? It's probably pokey down low 'cause you're used to a B12's 1200cc wall of torque - the VFR is only an 800, right?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

From what I understand it just leaves 2/4 valves per cylinder closed until 6800 rpm for efficiency. True it is unfair comparison to an 1157cc but I guess I like motors you don't have to wring out all the time. My SV felt better.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, VTEC was designed to allow the engine to breathe properly at high speeds without sacrificing low-speed usability (driveability and fuel economy, not so much power) by oversizing/overtiming the valves. What he perceives as "worthless" is just how much power the engine makes at that speed, not some side effect of VTEC ruining his low-end or whatever. Soichiro Honda always made his engines to rev high.

If what you were riding before was an SV, the difference in power delivery is going to be much more related to the characteristics of 2 big cylinders vs 4 smaller ones than any valve timing voodoo. Take out VTEC and you're still going to have a peaky engine that bogs a bit at the low end, just with less top-end power.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JP Money posted:

Now just wait til you ride a bike that's actually fun :haw:

Just kidding man, if this is your first time on a bike it must have been awesome! Getting out on the road the first time on your own is always such a rush.

It was a huge rush. Getting up to 45mph for the first time felt like driving way faster that it was. Not so much that I felt nervous, just the perceived speed of the lane markings going by felt so much faster.

The bike I rented was a Dyna Street Bob, so it's probably one of the least cruiser-like bikes they have. I liked that the pegs are in the middle of that bike instead way up front. Sitting in that position felt weird to me, so the mid-foot pegs felt much more comfortable.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

theperminator posted:

Yeah, it's like that pretty much the entire race for anything.

Half the reason I watch the MotoGP/F1 is because the commentators are great.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

That pass around the outside at the end is loving nuts. In the damp, no less.

:australia:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I forgot how much fun it was to ride through rain. First real rain since I bought a bike after a 6 year hiatus. My clothes are soaked through, my fingers are numb, got water in my SMX-1's...

I started giggling as soon as I started to hear rain drops smacking my helmet when I got on the freeway. Man I really need to get some rain gear this weekend.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Angryboot posted:

I forgot how much fun it was to ride through rain. First real rain since I bought a bike after a 6 year hiatus. My clothes are soaked through, my fingers are numb, got water in my SMX-1's...

I started giggling as soon as I started to hear rain drops smacking my helmet when I got on the freeway. Man I really need to get some rain gear this weekend.

I try to avoid the freeway as much as possible when it rains, the spray off semis really loving sucks, but give me a twisty and deserted state road in the rain and it's a small slice of heaven.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I found out yesterday the fenders on my new cruiser spray water all over my pant legs. Awesome, giant decorative fenders that do very little.

Hit a bird today with my helmet going 65, fortunately it didn't hit me straight on - but it still felt like getting hit in the head with a softball. Another thing I don't understand about not wearing a helmet. That thing woulda took me out/caused me to crash if I was had only been wearing a freedom bandana and sunglasses.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Then your reflexes are too slow :fella:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Scary poo poo tonight. Was riding down I-10 after dark in the right lane. In one stretch that had no street lights I rode past a large garden wagon that was upside down in the middle of the left lane. If I'd had been in that lane I don't think I could have avoided it in time.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Gah. a couple of months ago I was in my car and banged right over a deer carcass in the middle of the highway, as I could think about was had I been on my bike I woulda been so hosed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I finally sold my car and now I'm on the look out for a 06+ Daytona 675, 09+ ZX6R, 06+ R6, 06+ GSXR600/750, or 03/04 ZX6R (in that order) under $5k within a days ride home to Phoenix, Az. Anyone had a bad experience flying out of state to pick up a bike? I'm not looking at bikes that are shitpiles so it can't be that hard...

After some thinking, a 1000 isn't in the cards for me. My riding style (love winding the bike out), want to do track days more often, and my sometimes lack of self control won't morally let me pick up a crossplane R1 or GSXR1k. A SV650 with the mods to make me happy with the bike end up at the same price area as an older i4 so I ended up ruling that out.

I've never ridden a Daytona 675... should probably roll over to Scottsdale Ducati and see if they will let me demo one this week. I'm just not sure how serious of a buyer you have to be for them to let you demo. My gear is old and hella worn, they can't possibly think I am a noob rider. :lol:

Can't wait to be back on two. I'm excited, can you tell? Needed to sperg about this somewhere since none of my friends ride. :unsmith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 15, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I finally sold my car and now I'm on the look out for a 06+ Daytona 675, 09+ ZX6R, 06+ R6, 06+ GSXR600/750, or 03/04 ZX6R (in that order) under $5k within a days ride home to Phoenix, Az. Anyone had a bad experience flying out of state to pick up a bike? I'm not looking at bikes that are shitpiles so it can't be that hard...

After some thinking, a 1000 isn't in the cards for me. My riding style (love winding the bike out), want to do track days more often, and my sometimes lack of self control won't morally let me pick up a crossplane R1 or GSXR1k. A SV650 with the mods to make me happy with the bike end up at the same price area as an older i4 so I ended up ruling that out.

I've never ridden a Daytona 675... should probably roll over to Scottsdale Ducati and see if they will let me demo one this week. I'm just not sure how serious of a buyer you have to be for them to let you demo. My gear is old and hella worn, they can't possibly think I am a noob rider. :lol:

Can't wait to be back on two. I'm excited, can you tell? Needed to sperg about this somewhere since none of my friends ride. :unsmith:

Join TuonoKrew (tm)! You go slower if you are constantly wheelieing, so you get less speeding tickets but still with 100% full fat big cube goodness. Also great for trackdays.

E: In case not obvious, I wasn't being facetious. My straight line speeds on my commute are lower than on the Hornet, where I was focused on extracting every last mph. The front wheel tends to come down around 60 unless you are trying to carry third, which there isn't usually space for anyway. So get a Tuono and you won't bother bother speeding!

I suspect it's also statistically safer to wheelie everywhere at 40 than do 90 with both wheels planted waiting for a cager to pull out on you.

Comments also obviously relevant to speed triples, M1100s, TL1000S (good luck!), Benelli 1150s, CB1000Rs and other big-cube options.

Saga fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 15, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What planet do you live on where any bike by Benelli is not a comedy option?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A while back I posted about riding my friend's '12 Vstar 950 and getting a megaboner for it. Welp, I manned up and posted my bike for sale and sold it this weekend ('06 BMW F650). I've been in contact with a seller from ebay that has an '09 vstar 950 that never sold, and he gave me a good price on it.

Funny story:
The buyer of my bike is 59 and going to retire. He's ridden dirt bikes for a while but never had an on-road bike. He came to look at my bike from about 2 hours away, liked it and was pleased with the condition. I wasn't pressuring him into buying or anything, he was still on the fence about buying now or waiting until the spring. I mentioned that I was somewhat negotiable on the price and he immediately asked if I'd take $4500 for my bike, which was about my bottom dollar. I said yea, but he still didn't want to commit, he wanted to think it over. Again, I didn't really blame him or try and pressure him.

I could tell he wanted to buy it but we said our goodbyes anyway. I went in the house to get some coffee and start a meal in the crockpot, not 10 minutes later there was a knock on the door, I opened it up and it was the buyer saying "I WANT IT! LET'S DO IT!". It was pretty hilarious, you could tell he was really excited (who wouldn't be buying their first road bike). He said he got about 2 miles down the road and he had to turn around.

Now the tricky part is scheduling everything. I told my buyer that I'd ride it down for him. Since he lives about 2 hours away, and half way to where my new bike is, I'm trying to do it all in one trip. That means I need to schedule around me and my wife's schedule, my buyer's schedule, and the seller of my new bike's schedule. And of course I'm not patient at all because I "got a new toy and I want it now now now", and the weather is quickly changing and this week looks ideal.

Pictures of the new bike:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ljqtq5ukr8o8twx/yVfHbA5JCf#/

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Infinotize posted:

Been in Europe about 2.5 weeks, bought a 05 VFR in Ireland and tooling around on it. Thought it would be a good sport/tour bike but man I hate this thing. Died coming into some town today, luckily I found a car shop and found a honda bike shop in town to go to tomorrow.

Things I hate about this bike:
- feels heavier than my old bandit 12
- doesn't really handle that well
- not comfortable
- craptacular FI
- heats up to 100 C + within 3 minutes of driving under 30mph. has fan clicking on/off 100-110C. Fuckin hot. And then it just clicks off while your in traffic. Today it didn't come back on! Wish I had found another B12 here, oh well

Keep an eye out on biker.ie, they've generally got decent bikes in good knick for sale, and also always someone chiming in when there's something amiss or a really good deal on the other advertising sites in Ireland. Sign up , introduce yourself and read the rules, they put you in their jail subforum if you mention cars, politics, etc etc

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

You want to buy my SV? :v: I'll sell it to you for cheap!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

_Dav posted:

Keep an eye out on biker.ie, they've generally got decent bikes in good knick for sale, and also always someone chiming in when there's something amiss or a really good deal on the other advertising sites in Ireland. Sign up , introduce yourself and read the rules, they put you in their jail subforum if you mention cars, politics, etc etc

bicker.ie is full of circlejerking wankers, don't bother with it, or any of the Irish forums really.
I think Infinotize bailed on our soggy isle straight after buying the VFR anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Who makes that black and red jacket? I can aaaalmost see the logos on the sleeves but not quite. Looks nice.