Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Edoraz posted:

...nooooooooo? Most of the characters were UNLOCKABLES, that you didn't have to PAY MONEY WITH. It wasn't even that obnoxious. It felt like you were rewarded for playing the game.

There was only one DLC character and track. Metal Sonic and the Death Egg Station or something like that.

Ahh, gently caress me for trusting a one shot LP video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

I am 21 and have 20:20 vision and a 32 inch 1080p TV. I don't know what the gently caress is 1080 and what's 560

That's ridiculous. Are you sure you're ever seeing an HD signal on the TV? Is sharpening off?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Has anyone played Sonic all stars racing? I watched the trailer for the new one and I'm getting major Diddy Kong racing vibes crossed with a little F Zero GX. It looks like it seriously might be good. Any opinions?

The first one was surprisingly good for what was essentially a Mario Kart clone - good track design, excellent drifting and a decent set of Sega characters - but they repeated the stage tropes a lot, and you couldn't use your All-Stars moves online. The PC port also sucked balls - they released it at a budget price with no online play because "people were only gonna pirate it anyway".

The new one sounds like it'll be way better - there are unique themes for every track and the layouts change dynamically from lap to lap, the online stuff is better (more players, no gimped modes, etc), more single-player content, new remixes of classic Sega tunes, plus the whole land/sea/air thing. The only things that annoy me at the moment are the fact that the weapons are still generic non-Sega items, and that the console versions are 30FPS (and that they haven't confirmed Segata Sanshiro!).

The Wii U version is gonna have a bunch of extra Gamepad-related crap - you can use it as a rear-view mirror, as a chase cam for homing weapons, etc and you can also use it as a fifth screen for five-person local multiplayer. There are some exclusive multiplayer modes, too - one where the Gamepad player has to crush the other racers with a giant Monkey Ball, and a Shinobi-themed mode where the Gamepad player has to tag the other racers using a ninja or something?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would think it couldn't have Segata Sanshiro because he's dead. He died for all of our sins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5QJvnPwQU

greatn fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 10, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Don't the developers keep basically hinting that Segata Sanshiro will be the final cast member?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Even if they put him in, you know they're going to have to ban him from online play anyway. That or everyone will end up playing Segata Sanshiro if they want a chance to win.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
A leaked memo from Walmart says that they'll be taking layaway/preorders for the Deluxe WiiU starting this Sunday in the brick and mortar stores and it'll be advertised in the weekend circular. Cost is 10% down of the $349.96 retail + a $5 service fee that gets refunded as a Walmart gift card when you pay off the layaway (so probably $40 to preorder in-store.) Limit 2 preorders per person. Memo below:

quote:

Wii U Layaway Reservation Process
Starts: Sunday, October 14 - Ends: Thursday November 1 (or until allocated qty sold)

Overview
• The Wii U Black Deluxe Console Set can be reserved, Oct. 14 through Nov.1 using the Holiday Layaway system.
• IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to limited quantities the period to reserve your copy could end sooner
o Sales block will be placed on item number once allocated quantity has been met.
• Utilize the Holiday Layaway process to execute the reservation of the Wii U console.
• Layaway service fee of $5 and 10% down applies to reserve the console.

Preparation
• Obtain a folder for the Wii U Black Deluxe console reservation process to hold the layaway package labels for all
pre-sold reservations and secure the folder in the layaway area.
• Create a layaway bin label and apply it to the folder.

Execution
1. Scan barcode of the Black Deluxe Console.(While supplies last)
2. Register will prompt Product Care Plan, Optional. Without a serial number scan the upc two times.
Wii U Deluxe Console
Item 550924127
UPC 45496880866
$349.96
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Customer may pay a majority of the balance in the initial transaction, but no matter what
there must be a minimum balance of at least one penny, $.01 left on the account when reserving the console.
• This will assist with tracking when the customer returns to pick up the game.
4. Complete transaction and print one package label for each reserved unit.
5. Bin and place the package label(s) in the Wii U reservation folder.
6. Remind the customer on the following elements;
• Wii U launches at 12:01 am on Nov.18 and will be available for pickup.
• Pickup location is the layaway desk, not the Electronics register.
• Return with receipt for a smooth pickup on launch date.
7. Place the pre-sell Wii U folder in a secure location under the layaway register until the launch date of Nov.18 at
12:01am.

Receiving Reserved Wii U Consoles
1. Pre-sold Wii U consoles will arrive into stores DTS Wednesday Nov. 14 through Friday Nov. 16.
• Carton will be marked; Wii U Layaway Merchandise; Take to Store Manager for Midnight launch on
11/18.
2. Take the reserved consoles to the security room until boxes can be labeled and binned.
3. Apply the package labels from the reservation folder to each unit, re-assign the reserved consoles to the proper
storage location and bin until 12:01am on 11/18 launch night.
Midnight Launch
1. Be prepared before the midnight launch
2. Ensure the Layaway area is staffed with a layaway trained associate for the midnight launch.
• Support manager, Assistant manager, etc.
3. Have the deluxe console set and folder secured under the layaway register Saturday night at 11:45pm
4. When the customer picks up their Wii U console
• Ask for the receipt and complete the layaway transaction
• Cross through the package label located in the folder with a pen.
5. Add-on attachment sales by having the following item displayed at launch.
• Cards, Controllers, Games, Charging cradle

This is on SlickDeals and CheapAssGamer so it seems legit. Call your local Walmart to see when their layaway desk opens (they're usually in the back of the store near the electronics department, at least at the newer-looking ones in my area. It might also be called the .com service desk.)

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 10, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The box art for all the games can now be viewed at larger sizes in the OP, if yall want a better look at it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

CubsWoo posted:

Call your local Walmart to see when their layaway desk opens (they're usually in the back of the store near the electronics department, at least at the newer-looking ones in my area. It might also be called the .com service desk.)

The Walmart.com services desk is the layaway desk in every store i;ve been to. So if you know where that is you're set. Most stores have it at one of the back corners.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Would this be any good as an icon?

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 10, 2012

Boijoina
Oct 9, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

yea, dig it. also, great OP by the way.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about ?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your U is too small.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, you don't need to keep the exact logo typography on these little icons, so that previous big U fits better I think.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You gotta have the negative space U y'all. Here.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Teenage Fansub posted:

You gotta have the negative space U y'all. Here.

That middle line is pointless at that font size. It still looks like WiiW.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
When you guys get a good WiiU tag PM it to me and I'll have it added!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is really, very awkward to say "Weeyoo." I wish they had named it Super Wii or Wii Omega or something.
Great, now I'll never be able to hear the name without thinking of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

Great, now I'll never be able to hear the name without thinking of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY

I believe this was posted in the 2011 E3 thread the second they revealed the name.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So Nintendo apparently just announced their New York Comic-Con plans. A bunch of Wii U games are going to be playable at it, so if you plan on going to NYCC then you can check those out.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Policenaut posted:

So Nintendo apparently just announced their New York Comic-Con plans. A bunch of Wii U games are going to be playable at it, so if you plan on going to NYCC then you can check those out.

I'm still going to go hit up Nintendo World tomorrow before I head to NYCC. It's right by Times Square and I'm going to be in a few hours before the floor opens up anyways. That being said, this is a really good line up and since the only panel I want to go to tomorrow is the Street Fighter 25th anniversary one, I'll probably just spend my day checking out Wii U games! I'll provide a trip report.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

That middle line is pointless at that font size. It still looks like WiiW.
But it needs it! Tweaked it around a bit to try to lessen the W lookingness of it and raise/block it up a bit to make it look more like the logo.

Some other variants with the screen, blank and Nintendo Land:

(and now spacing tweaked on all)

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 10, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

japtor posted:

But it needs it! Tweaked it around a bit to try to lessen the W lookingness of it and raise/block it up a bit to make it look more like the logo.

Some other variants with the screen, blank and Nintendo Land (and tweaked spacing):

It just doesn't work. The funky U could work in an icon of that size, but not following the standard forum look. Or maybe if it was just a big one of those without the word "Wii."

Sorry man, but with so few pixels, it doesn't read at all.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think the first by japtor looks fine.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
How long until we have this as a tag/smilie?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think the first by japtor looks fine.

You and I must have very different monitor resolutions, it's tiny and pretty much impossible to make out any sort of U, for me.

Angry Caterpillar's is still the best for clarity on any resolution.

(Teenage Fansub's second one isn't that bad, either, on my monitor, though.)

v v v Best for font so far... what's the image? I think that font with the game controller image would look pretty nice.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 10, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

^ ^ ^ ^ GIS on WiiU Logo.
Anyway, here: http://i.imgur.com/jx6NF.jpg

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 10, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

How long until we have this as a tag/smilie?
VV

thexerox123 posted:

You and I must have very different monitor resolutions, it's tiny and pretty much impossible to make out any sort of U, for me.

Angry Caterpillar's is still the best for clarity on any resolution.

(Teenage Fansub's second one isn't that bad, either, on my monitor, though.)

v v v Best for font so far... what's the image? I think that font with the game controller image would look pretty nice.
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to do the stylized U well in that pixel style, the way I did it was more for the visual blue block rather than U legibility.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I tried my hand at putting AngryCaterpillar and limaCAT's together:

v v v I just realized that and edited, I think I somehow misinterpreted the shrugging arms as downwards indicators or something, haha.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 10, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

No, I meant the person. I don't think it is Fils-Aime, is it?
It was in response to Rake Arms' request. I have no clue who's in limaCAT's but it looks vaguely familiar.

edit: hey people make mistakes, VV (:reggieshobon:?)

Messed around with the blocky style of some of the others:

(fatter W on this one)

The small "i"s screw with this style too I guess.

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 10, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

thexerox123 posted:

Do that but without the screen filled up on the gamepad

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Better? (japtor's + thexerox123's)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

japtor posted:

It was in response to Rake Arms' request. I have no clue who's in limaCAT's but it looks vaguely familiar.

It's the Chinese lady from the Kung Pow movie.
:ssh:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I like this one by Angry Caterpillar. I think it's more important to have the "Wii U" text match the other thread icon fonts in the forum, like in this version, rather than match the official Wii U logo text.

And yes it doesn't have the negative-space U but whatever. It gets across the idea of it by having the U a different color.

EDIT-

Wotalt posted:

Better? (japtor's + thexerox123's)

This one looks nice too, I think. It keeps the "Wii" font AND the negative-space U. Makes everyone happy, maybe?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Something with more aqua would be preferable, personally. Too many white/mostly white tags, yo.

Anyway, Rayman Legends interview #57430756894: Ancel says the asymmetric stuff is less than 20% of the single-player game, and is completely optional.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012
Is it bad that i only want to get a wii u just to play ssb4

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Super Camper posted:

Brawl was what sold me on the Wii.

Waiting until 2008 for it was... difficult. Finding that the online was often unplayable was worse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Super Camper posted:

I bought a 360 for Trials HD.

It'd be bad if you're getting it now for SSB4 cause you'll be waiting a while if that's all you want.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

v v v I just realized that and edited, I think I somehow misinterpreted the shrugging arms as downwards indicators or something, haha.

We don't necessarily need the whole controller. What if you moved the controller a little bit to the right, cutting off the right edge, so you can increase the WiiU font size a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about something with that dumb boxart curve?

• Locked thread