Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I hear what you are saying but it's three weekends in and Dredd still hasn't grossed half its budget worldwide which means Hollywood (who just look at those numbers and nothing more) is likely fast-tracking the home video release.

Honestly at this point I think getting it on disk/VOD as soon as they humanly can is the best thing for this movie. I tell everyone I meet that'll listen that they need to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This movie taught me that fascism is hilarious and that shooting people, while messy, is really pretty looking.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

axleblaze posted:

If you watch the trailers they really made no effort to make the audience care about Judge Dredd.

You know, I don't think I've seen a single trailer on TV for this film.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Can anyone who reads the comics tell me if Dredd is as sadistic there as he is in the movie? I don't know much about his character but I always assumed he would be more 'dispassionately execute someone because the LAW' rather than shoot them up with slo-mo first so their death is as horrible and drawn out as possible.. Just seemed a bit out of character, but I guess I have memories of the Stallone film in the back of my head.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jabby posted:

Can anyone who reads the comics tell me if Dredd is as sadistic there as he is in the movie? I don't know much about his character but I always assumed he would be more 'dispassionately execute someone because the LAW' rather than shoot them up with slo-mo first so their death is as horrible and drawn out as possible.. Just seemed a bit out of character, but I guess I have memories of the Stallone film in the back of my head.

In regards to the spoiler He did that so the bomb would not go off as for him being sadistic yes he is as he is a man who will mess with a democracy march to undermine it, handcuff people to cars and leave them in cursed earth, and has killed a bunch of people.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jabby posted:

I suppose it could be argued that he gave her Slo-Mo to slow her metabolism and keep her alive as she fell until she was out of range of the bomb, but I don't think anything was specifically stated, so it could just as easily be that he was being a dick.

But then he's sometimes a dick in the comics as well, even if it costs someone their life. There's a bit in 'The Judge Child' where he promises to pull a slave trader out of quicksand in return for information. The slaver tells him everything, Dredd pulls him out... then turns him over to the pissed-off slaves, saying "I kept my promise. You're out of the quicksand" and rides off.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The movie soundtrack is up on Spotify and drat it is good.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Paolomania posted:

The movie soundtrack is up on Spotify and drat it is good.

This. I posted a Soundcloud album of it earlier in the thread, and it's definitely a frequent listen when I'm doing work. It's a great industrial score; reminds me of the best parts of Carpenter scores (apart from missing the analog synth, but it still sounded great here).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

This movie taught me that fascism is hilarious and that shooting people, while messy, is really pretty looking.

It's not really quite fascism, they seem to have an unemployment problem they can't really get under.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

In regards to the spoiler He did that so the bomb would not go off as for him being sadistic yes he is as he is a man who will mess with a democracy march to undermine it, handcuff people to cars and leave them in cursed earth, and has killed a bunch of people.

How would the slo-mo keep the bombs from going off? I thought it just slowed down a person's perception of time. After all, she still died when she hit the floor and it didn't physically slow her fall, just made it seem a lot longer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jabby posted:

How would the slo-mo keep the bombs from going off? I thought it just slowed down a person's perception of time. After all, she still died when she hit the floor and it didn't physically slow her fall, just made it seem a lot longer.

I got the idea It slowed down everything including her heart so the dead man switch would not activate until it is out of the danger zone

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I got the impression it was a "just desserts" thing, which seems well within the range of something Dredd would do.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Considering we ourselves are not really clear on what the drug does, and Dredd just learned about it when he was in the apartment building, I think it's safe to say he wouldn't know for sure what it would do either.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Considering we ourselves are not really clear on what the drug does, and Dredd just learned about it when he was in the apartment building, I think it's safe to say he wouldn't know for sure what it would do either.

Dredd knew about it beforehand, he recognises a burn from a slo-mo inhaler on one of the skinned corpses at the start. But yeah he gave her slo-mo to give her a nasty death, not to keep her alive. It just slows down your perception of the world, it doesn't actually slow down your body.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

I suppose it could be argued that he gave her Slo-Mo to slow her metabolism and keep her alive as she fell until she was out of range of the bomb, but I don't think anything was specifically stated, so it could just as easily be that he was being a dick.

But then he's sometimes a dick in the comics as well, even if it costs someone their life. There's a bit in 'The Judge Child' where he promises to pull a slave trader out of quicksand in return for information. The slaver tells him everything, Dredd pulls him out... then turns him over to the pissed-off slaves, saying "I kept my promise. You're out of the quicksand" and rides off.

It's more analogous to the end of Judgement Day, where Dredd beheads Sabbat the Necromagus and impales the head on a psionic power stone so that Sabbat will never die. gently caress with Dredd sufficiently and he will make an example of you - even if nobody else gets to see the example.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I just saw it as Dredd knowing that she was full of poo poo and her plan wouldn't have worked. It's like in the 90s Dredd movie in the very beginning where he pulls up and is like "Pssh their guns don't shoot this far." Dredd should know all about bombs and detonators' effective ranges and whatnot.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

randombattle posted:

It's like in the 90s Dredd movie in the very beginning where he pulls up and is like "Pssh their guns don't shoot this far."
Just a few minutes earlier, we saw the mooks in Rob Schneider's apartment mowing down people on the street with the same guns. :v: "I am! The laAAARGH!"

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, if this does come out early on Blu Ray, im gonna buy the gently caress out of it. This movie deserves some good numbers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

henpod posted:

Well, if this does come out early on Blu Ray, im gonna buy the gently caress out of it. This movie deserves some good numbers.
(Your avatar never fails to make me smile.)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Yup, I loved this movie and I'm sad that's it dying at the box office. They better release this before Christmas; as this and the The Raid are going to be my gift to everyone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

Just a few minutes earlier, we saw the mooks in Rob Schneider's apartment mowing down people on the street with the same guns. :v: "I am! The laAAARGH!"

If you'd actually paid attention to the angle they were shooting at you would have clearly seen the reason it worked out this way...

I'm going to buy this on blu-ray ASAP. I pretty much never buy stuff on disk anymore (last thing I got was Blade Runner final cut actually) but I liked the movie that much.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Going back briefly to the bomb detonator attached to MaMa's heart rate. She said the bombs were rigged to the top 50 floors of Peach Trees (a 200 story building). Dredd said something briefly along the lines of the range cannot make it through 50+ levels of concrete or something. By dropping her 200 stories with her death only happening at the end, the detonator could not reach the bombs 150 stories up. The Slo-Mo was really just Dredd being a sociopathic dick because there is obviously no accepted form of capital punishment in Mega City One so its left to a Judge's discretion. That's my interpretation anyways.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Going back briefly to the bomb detonator attached to MaMa's heart rate. She said the bombs were rigged to the top 50 floors of Peach Trees (a 200 story building). Dredd said something briefly along the lines of the range cannot make it through 50+ levels of concrete or something. By dropping her 200 stories with her death only happening at the end, the detonator could not reach the bombs 150 stories up. The Slo-Mo was really just Dredd being a sociopathic dick because there is obviously no accepted form of capital punishment in Mega City One so its left to a Judge's discretion. That's my interpretation anyways.

I took it as Dredd being a sadistic ironic dick, but I also thought he might have done it because if Ma-Ma's brain is being slow she won't have a chance to rip off the trigger and cause the blast before she hits the ground. At least, I felt that was a fair enough justification.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Febreeze posted:

I took it as Dredd being a sadistic ironic dick, but I also thought he might have done it because if Ma-Ma's brain is being slow she won't have a chance to rip off the trigger and cause the blast before she hits the ground. At least, I felt that was a fair enough justification.
I thought it was simply eye for an eye.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If Dredd was simply a "bad apple", the satire of the comic wouldn't really work. Dredd is an extension of Mega-City One, not some rogue cop:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 12, 2012

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
In the comics are we ever shown what the Iso-cubes look like?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Best I can find is this videogame screenshot from Dredd vs. Death:

But I'm guessing it's something closer to the Triple-max level from Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay:

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2012

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
Since slo-mo is a drug that slows down peoples perception of time shouldn't all the people taking the drug be reacting faster? I can't help but think the people taking it would react very quickly to anything going on as long as they were not idiots. This is the only real issue I have with the movie, but to me it seems like a big one.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

MrMo posted:

Since slo-mo is a drug that slows down peoples perception of time shouldn't all the people taking the drug be reacting faster? I can't help but think the people taking it would react very quickly to anything going on as long as they were not idiots. This is the only real issue I have with the movie, but to me it seems like a big one.

I'm guessing you've never smoked pot. Just a hunch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jefferoo posted:

Best I can find is this videogame screenshot from Dredd vs. Death:

But I'm guessing it's something closer to the Triple-max level from Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay:

No, the Dredd vs Death screenshot is accurate. It should be - the game was made by a different arm of the company that publishes the comics.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
(crosspost from the general chat thread)

So I'm watching a new anime called Psycho-Pass, and, uh, it's pretty much Dredd: The Series.

Like, the main characters are almost literally Anderson and Dredd, with the main difference being that Not-Dredd is technically Not-Anderson's subordinate, and a lot of the visuals and even some of the music are pretty much lifted straight from Dredd.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The iso-cubes look different depending on the artist (just like the Lawmaster bike, H-wagons, the Lawgiver Mk 1, the Judges' helmets... The Lawgiver 2 and the Manta prowl tank are the only things that seem to have a set model). Ron Smith drew them as a blank box containing a bench and nothing else with a (one-way?) glass wall, Carlos Ezquerra's cubes were literal cubes stacked like lockers with a door so low you had to crouch to go through ('Destiny's Angels'), and the more recent ones have 1984-style telescreens constantly spouting computerised rehabilitation programs.

They don't sound pleasant, but they're probably preferable to a US supermax prison. It's one of the rare times when something in Mega-City One is less horrible than its present-day counterpart.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Payndz posted:

The iso-cubes look different depending on the artist (just like the Lawmaster bike, H-wagons, the Lawgiver Mk 1, the Judges' helmets... The Lawgiver 2 and the Manta prowl tank are the only things that seem to have a set model). Ron Smith drew them as a blank box containing a bench and nothing else with a (one-way?) glass wall, Carlos Ezquerra's cubes were literal cubes stacked like lockers with a door so low you had to crouch to go through ('Destiny's Angels'), and the more recent ones have 1984-style telescreens constantly spouting computerised rehabilitation programs.

They don't sound pleasant, but they're probably preferable to a US supermax prison. It's one of the rare times when something in Mega-City One is less horrible than its present-day counterpart.

I was just about to say that. In fact, it looks like it is much safer than probably living out in MegaCity one.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Ersatz posted:

I thought it was simply eye for an eye.

Yeah, it was the 'purest' form of justice in simplicity. Which is why it was the most fitting action for Dredd to take.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Watched it today (Premiere in Sweden) with a few friends; We all throughly enjoyed it. Seemed like almost all the seats were taken, so I'm hoping it does well. Time will tell. :unsmith:

One thing confused me: When Dredd had been shot (by a AP-bullet, drat) and the other Judge stood above him, Dredd said "Wait". Anderson then arrives and saves the day. How did Dredd know she would come? I agree with the other judge that "Wait" seemed like a very un-Dredd thing to say unless he was certain she'd show up - Did I simply miss that she arrived in the room?

drat fine movie, it's a action movie and boy did it deliver. Loved it.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Lamquin posted:

Watched it today (Premiere in Sweden) with a few friends; We all throughly enjoyed it. Seemed like almost all the seats were taken, so I'm hoping it does well. Time will tell. :unsmith:

One thing confused me: When Dredd had been shot (by a AP-bullet, drat) and the other Judge stood above him, Dredd said "Wait". Anderson then arrives and saves the day. How did Dredd know she would come? I agree with the other judge that "Wait" seemed like a very un-Dredd thing to say unless he was certain she'd show up - Did I simply miss that she arrived in the room?

drat fine movie, it's a action movie and boy did it deliver. Loved it.

Well, Anderson's arrival is not explicitly shown, so you didn't miss anything in camera. Other posters have raised this before you, but to me it was a complete non-issue and it was obvious that either:

1. Dredd had spotted Anderson in his peripheral vision.
2. Anderson had signaled Dredd psychically.

Either way, it's a very common conceit that film makers use to surprise the audience.
To me Dredd was being quite smart. If he stalled Lex by being tough or mocking him, Lex was more likely to just get pissed and shoot. Far better to let Lex have his moment to crow, which could buy him precious extra seconds for Anderson to get in position.

Glad you enjoyed it too. Tell all your friends to see it!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I got myself the Case Files 02 & am now patiently waiting on the BSS thread to start up. Do it!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

I got myself the Case Files 02 & am now patiently waiting on the BSS thread to start up. Do it!

Patience, grasshopper, I'm getting round to it. I'm also not sure if this should be a BSS thread for Dredd (with options to expand into other 2000AD characters), an Ask/Tell about classic Dredd, or a Let's Read for the Case Files. Thoughts?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so glad this movie was good, and I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray. It's depressing that it hasn't done well at the box office, because I would love to see a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Jedit posted:

Patience, grasshopper, I'm getting round to it. I'm also not sure if this should be a BSS thread for Dredd (with options to expand into other 2000AD characters), an Ask/Tell about classic Dredd, or a Let's Read for the Case Files. Thoughts?

Let's Read the Case Files interests me most as long as it ambles along at a pace I can keep up with, financially. £10 a pop is great, but not when you're as skint as me. :( It does surprise me there's no general 2000AD thread though.

• Locked thread