Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Is it weird to cross shop an e46 M3 (ZCP) and a 335i? For about $25-30k I can get a good example of both. But my dilemma is I've been driving a ZHP for years, and don't like the idea of spending that much money to get an upgraded version of the same e46 I've been driving. It'll be like buying $15-20k in upgrades for my current car. Keeps the same interior/vintage/exterior.

I'm sure the M3 is more fun, but I'm afraid the new car itch will come much quicker if I buy another e46. I like to keep my cars for at least 4-5 years, and I'm not sure another e46 will make it that long.

Does this logic make sense to anyone but me? I guess ultimately it's a personal problem. I wish the 1M was a realistic option, that would be a no brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
The only way I'd pay $30K for an E46 M3 is if it had the Blowjob on Command option installed, factory.

voltron fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 10, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah, 30k is seriously low-mileage e46 m3 territory these days. 12-15 gets you a high mileage car with decent history and 20k gets you into the ~60,000mi range with good history.

Do you plan to track it, at all? The 335i is honestly going to be way less annoying to drive on a daily basis and you won't miss the LSD on the street, or care about limp mode after a few laps.

Of course if you ask me the E46 looks a shitload better than anything BMW has come out with recently.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Crustashio posted:

Yeah, 30k is seriously low-mileage e46 m3 territory these days. 12-15 gets you a high mileage car with decent history and 20k gets you into the ~60,000mi range with good history.

Do you plan to track it, at all? The 335i is honestly going to be way less annoying to drive on a daily basis and you won't miss the LSD on the street, or care about limp mode after a few laps.

Of course if you ask me the E46 looks a shitload better than anything BMW has come out with recently.

If I could get an M3 with under 70k miles for 20k that would make this decision easier. But stock 6-Speed coupes in SoCal are all over $25k. I think the M-Sport 335i coupe looks great, and those pop up for $30k semi-regularly.

I've driven both and they're both great, for different reasons. I don't plan to track either, but I also don't commute and most of my monthly mileage is on a motorcycle, so both would be classified as "fun" cars.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

ynotony posted:

If I could get an M3 with under 70k miles for 20k that would make this decision easier. But stock 6-Speed coupes in SoCal are all over $25k. I think the M-Sport 335i coupe looks great, and those pop up for $30k semi-regularly.

I've driven both and they're both great, for different reasons. I don't plan to track either, but I also don't commute and most of my monthly mileage is on a motorcycle, so both would be classified as "fun" cars.

Are you dead set on getting a ZCP M3? You're right about the $25-30k prices for the nicest ZCPs but I've found that the basic M3s have dropped a lot in price over the last few years, and it's not too hard to find one with 70-80k on the odo for less than $20k. At least around here (northeast).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you're asking this question you're probably better off with the 335i.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IMO, if you're looking at dropping $20-30k on an enthusiast car you shouldn't keep your search just to your local area. Even factoring in the cost of a 1 way plane ticket or getting the car shipped to your area you should be able to save a significant amount of money considering where you live.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ynotony posted:

Is it weird to cross shop an e46 M3 (ZCP) and a 335i? For about $25-30k I can get a good example of both. But my dilemma is I've been driving a ZHP for years, and don't like the idea of spending that much money to get an upgraded version of the same e46 I've been driving. It'll be like buying $15-20k in upgrades for my current car. Keeps the same interior/vintage/exterior.

I'm sure the M3 is more fun, but I'm afraid the new car itch will come much quicker if I buy another e46. I like to keep my cars for at least 4-5 years, and I'm not sure another e46 will make it that long.

Does this logic make sense to anyone but me? I guess ultimately it's a personal problem. I wish the 1M was a realistic option, that would be a no brainer.

I guess financially it makes sense but the E46 from a handling and steering feel perspective is more rewarding to drive than a stock E90. I strongly preferred my E46 and my white E92 M3 with the upgraded suspension bits to my blue E92 and other 335s I've driven, I think the E9x stock handling setup leaves something to be desired.

Having lots of experience with both generations and models I'd go for the E46 M3 but shop outside of California. Too many people in CA hold onto those cars (a certain group of people especially) and want too much money for them.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Would anyone with ye olde shoppe manuale for the E90 be willing to scan the section on front / rear brake service (rotors + pads + wear sensors) for me? Doing mine next week and just want to give myself a heads-up of any Bavarian-specific weirdness I should be looking out for.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
So I went and got my M5 back while BMW continues to argue with the body shop over the headlights.

I noticed something hilarious. Here's a shot of the front of the car.

Here's a shot of the new headlight that the bodyshop claimed they bought from BMW for $1200.

Here's a shot of the used headlight.

Anyone notice the glaringly obvious difference? Keep in mind the bodyshop did not notice this until I finally took it over to BMW :iiam:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Is one of the indicators much... darker than the other?

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
The round turn signal lamp looks completely different to me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do you think it's akin to the "Lemforder vs Meyle vs other oem" maker or is that a $50 module from our friends in China that the shop bought off of ebay?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
One has a reflector covering the turn signal bulb, and the other does not.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Keyser S0ze posted:

Do you think it's akin to the "Lemforder vs Meyle vs other oem" maker or is that a $50 module from our friends in China that the shop bought off of ebay?

Generally it's either Bosch (under AL) or ZKW that makes xenons for BMW. Aside from the e46 projector bowl issue with ZKW, the quality is good, and should work flawlessly. When I had the ZHP I switched from ZKW to AL with no problems. I'd say it's a DEPO style knockoff for cheap.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 11, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Looks like the one on the left has an exposed turn signal bulb in a reflective bowl type housing. The one on the right appears to be a housing with a lens covering a bulb. The one on the right is most likely a cheap(er) knock off or aftermarket part, like has been suggested. I don't know what the laws in your state are, but I'm sure the insurance company wouldn't be happy they paid $1200 for that.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Is an auction for a 1M coupe with a salvage title closing at $30k without the reserve being met as crazy as it seems?

I mean, I know they're sought after but dayum.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

televiper posted:

Is an auction for a 1M coupe with a salvage title closing at $30k without the reserve being met as crazy as it seems?

I mean, I know they're sought after but dayum.

There's a guy in NYC that owns a shop that's been buying up all the wrecked 1Ms and restoring them. He's selling them for between 40 and 50, sometimes before they're even done.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jealous Cow posted:

There's a guy in NYC that owns a shop that's been buying up all the wrecked 1Ms and restoring them. He's selling them for between 40 and 50, sometimes before they're even done.

To bad BMW didn't just add this to the M line up. I know its just a fluffed up 135i, but its a brilliant car.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Looks like the one on the left has an exposed turn signal bulb in a reflective bowl type housing. The one on the right appears to be a housing with a lens covering a bulb. The one on the right is most likely a cheap(er) knock off or aftermarket part, like has been suggested. I don't know what the laws in your state are, but I'm sure the insurance company wouldn't be happy they paid $1200 for that.

BMW thinks it's a European-model headlight. I'm going to write this whole thing up and send it to my insurance company, because there has been a lot of fuckups and mistakes during this whole procedure (which should have taken two weeks max and is now at 8 and counting)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nait Sirhc posted:

BMW thinks it's a European-model headlight. I'm going to write this whole thing up and send it to my insurance company, because there has been a lot of fuckups and mistakes during this whole procedure (which should have taken two weeks max and is now at 8 and counting)

Shouldn't a euro model have clear corner markers?

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 11, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Generally it's other Bosch (under AL) or ZKW that makes xenons for BMW. Aside from the e46 projector bowl issue with ZKW, the quality is good, and should work flawlessly. When I had the ZHP I switched from ZKW to AL with no problems. I'd say it's a DEPO style knockoff for cheap.

I was too lazy to look up the actual headlight OEM's.

If anything they should just get him a new driver's side one too so at least they match (provided they work correctly)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 11, 2012

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jealous Cow posted:

There's probably no shortage of business for him...I've heard that there have been piles of 1Ms written off so far, relatively speaking.

On an unrelated note, I changed my battery today in preparation for winter. Unfortunately, in my haste, I managed to break both the plastic pins that hold down the battery compartment cover. Does anyone know what the part number for these are? RealOEM's diagrams aren't really straightforward for this sort of thing.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

THE WHISTLE IS GONE!! THE WHISTLE IS GONE!!

It wasn't the diff. Shocking, I know. Somehow, the sunroof seal was missing. I have no idea how that happened, or why the dealership that CPO'ed it didn't realize/fix it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to wikipedia, there are only 740 1Ms in the US. How can there be that many totaled 1Ms? And if there are, we should start confiscating cars from these morons.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

According to wikipedia, there are only 740 1Ms in the US. How can there be that many totaled 1Ms? And if there are, we should start confiscating cars from these morons.

The M3 I got recently - the owner was contemplating keeping it to give his son who was about to get his license. This understanding extends to all things.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum
The engine + front seats of my car have started to smell of gasoline...

It's a 1988 325i convertible. When I bought it three years ago there were a few dents in the front left panel. Four months ago the revometer stopped working. Two weeks ago, finally, I took it to a body shop to get the dents fixed up and painted. When it came back, I noticed the strong gasoline smell. You smell while sitting in the front seats, and also when walking around the front of the car. There are absolutely no leaks on the ground, none at all. The car never had any similar smell before.

What kind of problem is this? Where should I start investigating? Is it even possible that this is related to work done at the body shop?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ljw1004 posted:

What kind of problem is this? Where should I start investigating? Is it even possible that this is related to work done at the body shop?
Well the carbon canister or whatever sits right behind there. I wonder if body shop disconnected it and never hooked it back up. That would make it pretty much a line right to the expansion tank and would probably smell pretty bad.

Like piece 11 or 12 on this diagram is disconnected, not hooked to 15 like it should be.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 11, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sofullofhate posted:

Would anyone with ye olde shoppe manuale for the E90 be willing to scan the section on front / rear brake service (rotors + pads + wear sensors) for me? Doing mine next week and just want to give myself a heads-up of any Bavarian-specific weirdness I should be looking out for.

Well, E87, but basically the same car.

It's your normal brake job, except:

• BMW insists you use new wear sensors, and these can only be mounted in the pad once.
  • BMW insists that you use new caliper bracket bolts. For some reason...
  • The parking brake needs adjustment as the rear discs are drum-in-hat.

Edit: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org has the sections for the E87, but not for the E90...

bolind fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 11, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this, but it is BMW related, so what the hell.

I have a 2003 E46 325xi, and the sunroof took a poo poo the other day. I know that the problem is related to two of the clips, and I actually removed the glass part today to confirm it/remove one of the broken clips. The issue is that I noticed that the plastic bit on the driver has come loose. The bottom section (using the picture for orientation) of the grey plastic "ring" seems to have torn and come off of the metal tab

Part of the issue I'm trying to fix seems to be that the driver is now just riding over the rear clip on the sunroof. Replacing that part appears to require buying a $100+ kit that includes a bunch of stuff I don't need at all. I'm hoping that replacing the broken clips will solve the entire issue, but if it doesn't is there any reason why I can't just epoxy that plastic back onto the tab?

(This is also the first time I've tried fixing anything on my car myself aside from changing a headlight bulb, I feel fancy.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm hoping it's not really a big deal, but is it bad if my engine sometimes stalls under hard, emergency braking? It's happened twice in the time I've owned it, once a long time ago and then again today. Basically, I was driving along about to pass another BMW and some rear end in a top hat in a Nissan decides to pull out in front of me to try to turn left. The problem is that he straightened out while still halfway in my lane and took forever to get into the middle. I had to brake hard and when it was safe again, I kept going, except I noticed the gas pedal didn't do anything. Then I noticed the SES light, then I noticed the rev meter was dead. I didn't notice immediately because I was going downhill. This was all coming to me as I was rolling downhill to the to turn lane. I got to the turn lane and stopped, restarted the engine and everything was fine. I would understand if the engine stalled because I had a manual and I didn't hit the clutch, but I have an automatic. Would this have been some kind of failsafe and it all just freaked out and shut down, or perhaps the transmission didn't shift down fast enough or am I hosed? It's only happened the two times in the almost two years I've owned it. Other than that it was running fine. The SES light was only on until I started the engine back up. I mentioned it once while getting my car serviced a couple weeks after the first time, the guy didn't say anything. But that was back home, and the guy didn't seem to give a poo poo. I haven't asked my guy here, he actually seems to give a poo poo about me.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

Hardcore sunroof repairs

Well I have no good answer to your question, but I we do have folks in here with some experience in 3-series sunroof. I can point you to a potential resource -- the realoem.com website should have a good schematic of the sunroof that might direct you to the part:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EU33&mospid=47722&btnr=54_0205&hg=54&fg=05

If it's not in there, your best bet would be to try a salvage yard. Depending on your area, you might have a "U-Pull-It" or "Pick 'n Pull" or similar self-service junkyard which should allow you the opportunity to get to it and pick it out yourself. The cost is time instead of dollars -- they'd probably charge you a couple bucks at most.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Stardotstar posted:

Well I have no good answer to your question, but I we do have folks in here with some experience in 3-series sunroof. I can point you to a potential resource -- the realoem.com website should have a good schematic of the sunroof that might direct you to the part:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EU33&mospid=47722&btnr=54_0205&hg=54&fg=05

If it's not in there, your best bet would be to try a salvage yard. Depending on your area, you might have a "U-Pull-It" or "Pick 'n Pull" or similar self-service junkyard which should allow you the opportunity to get to it and pick it out yourself. The cost is time instead of dollars -- they'd probably charge you a couple bucks at most.

It's a lot more less hardcore than it sounds. It's only a matter of removing 6 screws. The hardest part is getting the glass lined back up at the end.

But yeah, the part doesn't seem to be in the schematic views. I know what parts I would need, I really just wanted to know if epoxying that one tiny plastic cover would have any ill effects, but either way I'm looking too far ahead since once I've replaced the clips it may end up not being a problem at all.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 12, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bolind posted:

[list]
[*]BMW insists that you use new caliper bracket bolts. For some reason...

Its worth buying new caliper bolts. For some reason, they get really really nasty. I tried cleaning mine, and they never seem to come clean. They are not all that expensive.

But yeah, I reuse my wear sensor as long as it clips in correctly. If its loose, replace it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

sofullofhate posted:

7mm allen key on the sliders, if they're similar to e36/e46 calipers. I don't know why the gently caress they had to go with a non-common size.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its worth buying new caliper bolts. For some reason, they get really really nasty. I tried cleaning mine, and they never seem to come clean. They are not all that expensive.

But yeah, I reuse my wear sensor as long as it clips in correctly. If its loose, replace it.

I have new sensors, thanks. Goddamn if the caliper / slider bolts in my Subarus didn't get corroded and nasty too, don't know why I didn't think to order new ones.

Crustashio posted:

7mm allen key on the sliders, if they're similar to e36/e46 calipers. I don't know why the gently caress they had to go with a non-common size.

7mm? That's fantastic. I guess I'm off the a dealership and Canadian Tire tomorrow. :)

Thanks guys!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
God drat... I hate this time of year.

Its the time of year when your driving and then your car chimes at you and your mind goes "OH gently caress MY CARS BROKE!" and turns out its just below 37 degrees.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its the time of year when your driving and then your car chimes at you and your mind goes "OH gently caress MY CARS BROKE!" and turns out its just below 37 degrees.

This almost gave me a heart attack this morning...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I have a picture somewhere of my old e34 525's temp gauge freaking out once and saying it was -535F. I was quite impressed as to how comfortable it was in the cabin despite all molecular motion ceasing outside the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Haha I loving hate that thing so much.