Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did Locke & Key end or is there still more on the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!

Len posted:

Did Locke & Key end or is there still more on the way?

Still one more arc on the way, and few more standalones throughout the year too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Goon is coming back to form with dire portents and an issue devoted to the disgraced Zombie Priest this week. I don't know how you guys feel, but the book has been really rough since Eric Powell came back from hiatus. Some of the issues have been outright embarrassing to buy (like the literal fan-service issue about his burlesque dancer fangirl). But I think Powell is capable of some tremendous highs, and The Goon's overall story-arc remains utterly captivating even if some individual issues fall flat with me.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Anyone have an opinion on Spera from Archaia? I found it on Comixology and was thinking of picking up the first volume. I'm not familiar with the writer, Josh Tierney, but I like a good fantasy yarn once in a while. It looks like it has some very pretty art at times as well.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 1, 2012

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Spera is a collaboration of a bunch of different writers and artists writing the same story. It's very good and VERY gay. I love it. I'm not sure what is on comixology but I read the first hardcover and it's terrific and reminded me of a lesbian Legend of Zelda.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
Has there been a second issue for Nonplayer from Image yet? I remember the first one came out over a year ago and the last update I found is just as old. Did WB optioning it out as a film kill it or something? I know the art was pretty detailed, but a year between issues is a little too Kevin Smith for me.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Tolstoi posted:

Has there been a second issue for Nonplayer from Image yet? I remember the first one came out over a year ago and the last update I found is just as old. Did WB optioning it out as a film kill it or something? I know the art was pretty detailed, but a year between issues is a little too Kevin Smith for me.

I think the dude isn't a full time comics guy and also broke his arm.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I don't know if this is the right spot, but i just finished Noah Van Sciver's blammo #1 and #2, and Joseph Remnant's Blindspot #1 and #2, looking for more in the vain of crumb and pekar, just normal everyday turned upside down, any recs?

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
EDIT: Gah! How did I miss this. Wrong thread.

gogisha fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 6, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gogisha posted:

It doesn't really get talked about here much but I've really been digging the Valiant relaunch. I have almost no familiarity with the company from the 90s so I don't know if some of the stories are retreads or whatnot but they're all pretty interesting, and even ones that seemed very argh so extreme (like I thought Bloodshot would end up being) manage to do things that keep me engaged regardless.

Harbinger has probably been my favorite so far, but the hilariously left wing Archer & Armstrong is working its way to a close second. I particularly appreciated that one of the review quotes they put on the cover of the second issue was "Brain numbing propaganda." It's nice to seem that they're aware of what they're doing and have a sense of humor about it.

We have a thread for it!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the dude isn't a full time comics guy and also broke his arm.

Hadn't heard about the arm, but I know he took a full-time job with Pop-Cap Games a few months back, then Pop-Cap laid off a bunch of people shortly thereafter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maakies has apparently ended today and that sucks. Maakies is a long running comic strip by Tony Millionaire about Drinky Crow and Uncle Gabby. The two of them drink (DOOK DOOK DOOK!), fight, vomit, and discuss existential things while dying horribly or coming close to death. It's a lot better than I can explain it, trust me. It feels like an old school newspaper strip except not totally boring. If I had to compare it to anything it would be Ren & Stimpy for adults... but not that awfully lovely Ren & Stimpy cartoon for "adults."

If you want it in book form grab Premillennial Maakies and Drinky Crow's Maakies Treasury. Fantagraphics' will probably do some big collection now that it's done.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Check the Maakies site again. Apparently, Tony was just playin' with our emotions...

"Maakies will never be retired. I’m just keeping everyone on their toes. See how horrible life would be without good comics?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Madrox posted:

Check the Maakies site again. Apparently, Tony was just playin' with our emotions...

"Maakies will never be retired. I’m just keeping everyone on their toes. See how horrible life would be without good comics?"

Wow, what an rear end in a top hat! I bet he even changed the Wiki page to state that it ended (although it's gone now).

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this, but does anyone else remember news about a comic adaption of the tv show Charmed? I vaguely remember reading an article about it, but I don't know who was making it or who was publishing it or if it ever saw the light of day. So does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did anything ever come about it?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Thunderfinger posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this, but does anyone else remember news about a comic adaption of the tv show Charmed? I vaguely remember reading an article about it, but I don't know who was making it or who was publishing it or if it ever saw the light of day. So does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did anything ever come about it?
Googling "charmed comic" brings up the wikipedia page as the first hit :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charmed_(comic_book)

It looks like it does exist and is written and drawn by nobodies and published by a company I've never heard of. I thought for sure it would be IDW or Dark Horse but I guess not.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It looks like it does exist and is written and drawn by nobodies and published by a company I've never heard of. I thought for sure it would be IDW or Dark Horse but I guess not.
Zenescope are the ones who make the TnA Grimm Fairy Tales comics

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I don't know if I'm more disappointed that there's an ongoing Charmed comic or that the TnA Grimm Fairy Tales has nothing to do with wrestling.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I guess I wasn't paying much attention to it but hell yeah, new fuckin' Stumptown comes out tomorrow. The first volume was some classic Rucka.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

After a slow start, The Massive #4 really surprised me. It's really story dense, something the first three issues lacked, it explains the protagonist's pacifism, introduces a potential antagonist who's the perfect foil, and there's a new artist with really heavy inking and solid colors. I hope this artist sticks with it because it matches the tone of the comic more than the last guy with vectorized lines and textures slapped on everything.

A couple people posted here saying they didn't like the art and story didn't hook them. Give #4 a look because it really reinvigorated my opinion after a completely lackluster third issue.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I was already really into the comic myself but I will second the opinion that Garry Brown's art is both an improvement and basically perfect for the comic's tone.

Check it out, Brian Wood made a trailer for it.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 17, 2012

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I guess I wasn't paying much attention to it but hell yeah, new fuckin' Stumptown comes out tomorrow. The first volume was some classic Rucka.

Ah it was really good - honestly has more promise for me than V1!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is Jodorowsky's Metabarons any good? There's an omni coming out next month. What little I've read of The Incal was good, but don't know if the quality extends.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, Metabarons is pretty cool. It has all the elements that made The Incal tippy, amazing, futuristic.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The only place I've seen this on Amazon but the cover for Saga vol. 1 is so loving ill.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 20, 2012

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Fiona Staples has been killing it with covers lately. I love this one for issue #7

Also in the art department Brandon Graham is releasing an art book which he's been talking about doing for a while. Walrus, out early 2013. It'll probably end up being his blog in book form.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
To add to the Saga praise, I'm passing around issues to my anime nerd friends right now. It seems to be the perfect series to introduce an otaku to comics.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I can't make up my mind whether I really like Saga or not. It's one of the few series I'm now following on a per issue basis, so that I obviously like it somewhat, but there are just some things that piss me off about this series. I like the weird and fresh setting, the mashup of technologies and fantasy elements. In the back of one issue it's mentioned that someone got pissed off because there was an ATM in a scifi setting or something - I'm not one of those people. What I have a problem with are the characters. The forced plotline with the sex-slave girl and the merciless bounty hunter who suddenly has a heart is one thing. It's just overdone and stale. The super srs 'pledge' made by Marko of not committing violence which is broken only a few pages later is another. (Oh wow, such tension! Character building! Drama!) Hell, I had problems from the very start. A regular, human-sized being gives birth to a human-sized baby and immediately just starts running from some bad guys? Come the gently caress on. You'll have to throw in some fantasy explanation for that poo poo. It suffers overall in the same way as Y: The Last Man did. The main male protagonist is just insufferable. Some might find these characters lovable goofs - I just can't wait for them to be killed off.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well Saga has been concerned with throwing out known character types and putting them in absurd situations but treating it as common place. If you don't like those character type it's not hard to see why you wouldn't like it.

In not really surprising news Phonogram has been delayed to next year and probably not the first half of next year. Which isn't too surprising given the amount of work that McKelvie and Gillen are taking on recently.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

I can't make up my mind whether I really like Saga or not. It's one of the few series I'm now following on a per issue basis, so that I obviously like it somewhat, but there are just some things that piss me off about this series. I like the weird and fresh setting, the mashup of technologies and fantasy elements. In the back of one issue it's mentioned that someone got pissed off because there was an ATM in a scifi setting or something - I'm not one of those people. What I have a problem with are the characters. The forced plotline with the sex-slave girl and the merciless bounty hunter who suddenly has a heart is one thing. It's just overdone and stale. The super srs 'pledge' made by Marko of not committing violence which is broken only a few pages later is another. (Oh wow, such tension! Character building! Drama!) Hell, I had problems from the very start. A regular, human-sized being gives birth to a human-sized baby and immediately just starts running from some bad guys? Come the gently caress on. You'll have to throw in some fantasy explanation for that poo poo. It suffers overall in the same way as Y: The Last Man did. The main male protagonist is just insufferable. Some might find these characters lovable goofs - I just can't wait for them to be killed off.

I pretty much agree. I found it to be insufferable right from the get go despite an interesting setiing with great art. Everything about the characters and story is a huge turn-off.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So here's three comics that are pretty under the radar, but have been reliably good reads:

Revenant, Elric: The Battle Lost, and The New Deadwardians. Any of these titles is worth checking out, and two of them are either just wrapped or about to. Buy it now or get the trades!

Mind MGMT is just great. Deep and wonderfully new. A must read.

And this is my monthly announcement that Prophet is my favorite series on the stands. I can't give it enough compliments.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is anyone familiar with the Dark Horse comic Ghost? I've only seen some covers, and they tend to focus on guns and cleavage, but now I guess Kelly Sue and Noto are doing some work on it, and they're people I'd give a chance.

So Ghost, is there anything for them to work with there?

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Dark Horse comic Ghost? I've only seen some covers, and they tend to focus on guns and cleavage, but now I guess Kelly Sue and Noto are doing some work on it, and they're people I'd give a chance.

So Ghost, is there anything for them to work with there?

I thought the first issue was pretty good. I love Noto's art, and it doesn't feel "guns 'n' tits" style exploitative at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Point of Impact is kind of cool. It introduces a bunch of characters and wastes no time setting up the story. There's like three plot threads in the first issue and they're all set up perfectly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did Sullivans Sluggers ever come out? It sounded like it would be good but I didn't have any money for it when the kickstarter was out.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Len posted:

Did Sullivans Sluggers ever come out? It sounded like it would be good but I didn't have any money for it when the kickstarter was out.

It's on Comixology now, but the print version hasn't shipped yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

xK1 posted:

It's on Comixology now, but the print version hasn't shipped yet.

Is it worth $15?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
While I liked Donaldson's illustrations, what Garry Brown has done with just two issues of The Massive so far is just beautiful, and #5 is the best issue yet. Great characterization, pages with splashes and prose that blend so magnificently, and a world that in the greatest tradition of science fiction, feels so contemporary yet so far away.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dark Horse's digital app has single issues of BPRD and Hellboy and basically everything for two bucks a pop. I can easily see myself blowing a paycheck on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga vol. 1 is availible now for $10.

I'm wondering how is it that this series in issue form can go on without ads in the middle. Is it that Image's profit margins are so low that they can swing it?